What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
wonder how they perform in sub zero temperatures
The developers of SCAR and HK 417 and MPT-76 are all countries which face massive cold weather so I think Warm enviorment can be the issue not cold ones for these Guns

DRD Paratus modular semi-automatic rifle / carbine (USA)

DRD Paratus carbine

DRD Paratus carbine with optional sound suppressor (silencer)

DRD Paratus carbine with shoulder stock folded

DRD Paratus carbine disassembled into major components

Paratus bolt group and return spring

DRD Paratus carbine stored in the compact briefcase

Calibers

7.62x51 / .308 Win

Length, overall

~ 890 mm (35”) with stock extended

Weight

4.2 kg (9.2 lbs) w. 16” barrel

Barrel length

305 mm (12”), 406 mm (16”), 457 mm (18”) or 508 mm (20”)

Magazine capacity, rounds

The 7.62mm Paratus carbine was designed by Swetal “Skip” K. Patel, who previously designed a line of modular AR15-based rifles for Cobb Manufacturing Co, now owned by Remington / Bushmaster. At the present time Mr.Patel runs small company DRD Tactical, which manufactures the Paratus rifle. The Paratus rifle was originally developed to meet solicitation issued in 2011 by US Joint Special Operations Command for “clandestine breakdown sniper system”. At the time of this writing (January 2012) it is not yet known, if Paratus rifle is, or will be submitted to US SOCOM trials. However, it is already available for civilian and LE sales in USA in several versions. The 5.56mm version of the Paratus (compatible with standard AR15-type lower receivers) is said to be in the works.

The 7.62mm Paratus rifle is designed to be stored and carried unobtrusively and without undue attention inside small package such as a briefcase or everyday carry bag, and then, when required, quickly assembled and brought into action, providing its user with range and firepower of conventional semi-automatic rifle firing 7.62x51 / .308 Win ammunition.

The name of carbine, “Paratus” is a Latin word which means “Ready”.

The 7.62mm Paratus rifle / carbine is gas operated, semi-automatic weapon broadly based on AR10 / AR15 system. Its upper and lower receiver halves are made from aircraft-grade aluminum alloy.

Paratus rifle uses Stoner-designed direct impingement gas system, with extended gas tube running above the barrel. Gas system is equipped with 3-position manual gas regulator. The rotary bolt with seven radial locking lugs and cam / pin rotation arrangement is also similar to that of AR10, although the bolt carrier and return spring are different. The bolt carrier is much shorter than typical AR10-style component, and has an inverted U-shaped bracket installed above its gas key. This bracket is used to act against the low diameter captive return spring, which is located around guide rod that runs above the bolt carrier. Complete return spring / spring guide assembly is contained in the upper receiver, allowing for conventional folding shoulder stock to be used on the rifle. Non-reciprocating charging handle is located on the left side of the upper receiver.

Another difference from conventional AR10 / AR15 style rifles is quick detachable barrel and forend system. Barrel (which is made by Lothar Walther) is equipped with screw-on barrel nut and indexing stud. To install the barrel into the receiver, one simply has to insert the barrel into the front of receiver until it is indexed properly and its gas tube entered into the receiver. Then barrel nut is firmly screwed onto the receiver by hand, until barrel is properly fixed. The removable forend with integral rail system is made from aluminum alloy and features squeeze-clamp at is rear, where it seats on the barrel nut. To install the forend, one has to slid it over the barrel until it stops against the front of the receiver, and then fix it there using cam lock. As of now, Paratus rifle can be equipped with free-floated barrels of variable lengths, including 12 inches (which is regulated by NFA’34), and 16, 18 and 20 inches. Paratus rifle barrels are equipped with muzzle brake and/or quick-detach sound suppressor (silencer). Controls of the Paratus rifle are similar to that of most other AR10 / AR15 type rifles, including the trigger unit parts, which are compatible with AR15 platform. Paratus rifle is equipped with adjustable, side-folding shoulder stock originally developed for Remington / Bushmaster ACR rifle. Sighting options include Magpul back-up iron sights, installed on the top Picatinny rail, and any optical sight of user’s choice, installed on the same rail. Additional accessory rails can be mounted on the removable forend according to user preferences. Rifle is fed using 20-round detachable box magazines compatible with Knight’s SR-25 rifles.

http://world.guns.ru/civil/usa/paratus-e.html

More than the temperature, my concern with polymer lowers is wear of the all the take down pin holes, and the buffer tube attachment. If it cracks you have weird wobbly rifle. The only fix to that would be to replace the receiver which in the grand scheme of things may not be a big deal.

More than the temperature, my concern with polymer lowers is wear of the all the take down pin holes, and the buffer tube attachment. If it cracks you have weird wobbly rifle. The only fix to that would be to replace the receiver which in the grand scheme of things may not be a big deal.
sorry i cant comment on the polymer issue.
I left the forces when the polymer was just introduced into the army and got the bad press as we preferred classic G3 with wooden stock . but there were issues in accuracy and jamming in ever cold environments and type 56 was the go to gun.

They are several photos of pak army men testing either Bren or SCAR a supposedly poor person with a 80s good working fx would not dare even step into an audi or Mercedes shop unless he has money then he would test them thus yes scar Beretta(I don't know if actually being tested ) Bren are all possible but considering evidence every one I think is that we will buy tot for scar or Beretta and order ak 103s to complement like we did with type 56 as it was very cheap we also produced how ever a K103 is not so imagine a section of 12 men with mg and other stuff but rifle men with scar and ak in counter insurgency ops that would add diversity and on east border scar modular design means suachien or thar or pak marines in Sir creek it means diverse firepower and will cause Indians to pursue modern weapons too thus halting their other projects and helping us catch up to them also spending Alot of money now means later exporting it to oil Saudis and earning Pakistan more money but as many have said we need large scale optics manufacturing and grenade launcher and then we need good ice creams

And also scar can be used by spec ops as 5.56

They are several photos of pak army men testing either Bren or SCAR a supposedly poor person with a 80s good working fx would not dare even step into an audi or Mercedes shop unless he has money then he would test them thus yes scar Beretta(I don't know if actually being tested ) Bren are all possible but considering evidence every one I think is that we will buy tot for scar or Beretta and order ak 103s to complement like we did with type 56 as it was very cheap we also produced how ever a K103 is not so imagine a section of 12 men with mg and other stuff but rifle men with scar and ak in counter insurgency ops that would add diversity and on east border scar modular design means suachien or thar or pak marines in Sir creek it means diverse firepower and will cause Indians to pursue modern weapons too thus halting their other projects and helping us catch up to them also spending Alot of money now means later exporting it to oil Saudis and earning Pakistan more money but as many have said we need large scale optics manufacturing and grenade launcher and then we need good ice creams

And also scar can be used by spec ops as 5.56
If you have relatives in Army better contact them and ask them what is going on with the trials. @RAMPAGE I don't know why but I think lot more companies wanted to join G3 replacement program for some reason we only invited 5 and than added few more

If you have relatives in Army better contact them and ask them what is going on with the trials. @RAMPAGE I don't know why but I think lot more companies wanted to join G3 replacement program for some reason we only invited 5 and than added few more
On instagram and news and other forums oh and some one that there is definite testing and they personally like it but the decision is up to high command and I have hope after independently researching all guns shown in ispr photo release of gen raheel sir viewing guns and found scar best for Pakistan use considering potential export value of scar to the oil guys and Malaysia Indonesia heck even Chinese spec op might if it is from Pakistan but if not that then Beretta then Bren zavasta,but doubts on ak-103 as its comparatively old and cheap to its competition being tested and ak 109 108 ,12,107 are all near price of other guns being tested and are better versions of ak itself so yeah if we were buying it to replace g3 we would go for them

On instagram and news and other forums oh and some one that there is definite testing and they personally like it but the decision is up to high command and I have hope after independently researching all guns shown in ispr photo release of gen raheel sir viewing guns and found scar best for Pakistan use considering potential export value of scar to the oil guys and Malaysia Indonesia heck even Chinese spec op might if it is from Pakistan but if not that then Beretta then Bren zavasta,but doubts on ak-103 as its comparatively old and cheap to its competition being tested and ak 109 108 ,12,107 are all near price of other guns being tested and are better versions of ak itself so yeah if we were buying it to replace g3 we would go for them
I hope you are right to replace G3 SCAR is best option and if we are looking for two Guns one to replace G3 and one to replace Type 56 than for replacing Type 56 we should test all the Guns available in 7.62 X 39 caliber

I hope you are right to replace G3 SCAR is best option and if we are looking for two Guns one to replace G3 and one to replace Type 56 than for replacing Type 56 we should test all the Guns available in 7.62 X 39 caliber
And then get cheapest one similar to type 56 and buy it in batches for operations like I know people who say it certain areas muddy cold water etc g3 jams but ak works like a dream

So as per now, we have winner.....?
Aren't we looking for TWO guns in total?
Type 56 & G3 cannot be replaced by ONE gun only ......
Looks like we have winner of Type56 replacement, and it's Ak103 which will be delivered in batches to be used in Tribal areas?
A multical weapon should be an ideal replacement.

And then get cheapest one similar to type 56 and buy it in batches for operations like I know people who say it certain areas muddy cold water etc g3 jams but ak works like a dream
I think for 7.62 X 39 caliber Gun their should be new competeiom where at least 6 different Guns are tested

I do not think that will be much of a problem. They must be working with some high performance polymers for sure. Breakages are a huge risk and they would have done what is required to cover that vulnerability don't you think?

I have not really looked up what they are using but surely it do not makes much sense to say this is something that was missed.
But then again, 5hit happens!

I think the question "why we want to replace" tells pretty much. Whether this change is for just a better rifle or the motives are specific. :)

I think the question "why we want to replace" tells pretty much. Whether this change is for just a better rifle or the motives are specific. :)
Problem is Pakistan uses both G3 and Type 56 in really large numbers so it's impossible that one Gun will replace both G3 and Type 56. So definitely we need two Guns one to replace G3 and one to replace Type 56. I think Gun trial should be extended with at least 10 Guns of 7.62 X 51 calliber should be tested to select one to replace G3 and at least 5 to 8 Guns of 7.62 X 39 calliber should be tested to replace Type 56. @Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah

Last edited:
Gun like SCAR , MPT 76 etc have chrome lined barrel.. The barrel itself is capable of withstanding against extreme environment conditions . either cold or hot

Back
Top Bottom