What's new

Pakistan's 'secret' war in Baluchistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have said the same thing had I just left the first sentence out and kept the rest in bold?
The sarcasm was ONLY related to the first sentence. It was like XYZ member on this forum saying; hey, sparklingway was made a mod just after a few weeks he joined and i am still lurking around with a Full Member tag!

See, there was no need AT ALL for linking the peace and security situation inside the cantonment with the situation outside it. The same would have been appreciated if it had been linked with Riasani's Dubai nights, Harbyar's telephonic interviews and Brahamdagh's aristocratic life.

I guess you're even seeing it wrong (from their perspective). Of course the military areas would be protected. Peace and security are different things.
Yeah, so why the fuss over it?

Just for the sake of it, perhaps? Or may be it's just the usual bashing of everything guud that happens around us by the media?

Paramilitary and military are involved throughout the province (despite what officials want to suggest).
Why dont GoP and the GoB call off the military?

The FC checkposts and patrolling activities should be handed over to Police.

The security of Sui can again be handed over to Police.

Dera Bugti and that FC HQ ( dont remember which Rifle were they, i think Bamboor Rifles) should be shut down.

Chamalang Coal's functioning, security etc can be taken over by DC Loralai and AC Mekhtar.

Etc etc and etc...

That's easy. Why the hue and cry? There's no Army in Punjab and Sindh, is there?

BTW, there's something known as 'In Aid of Civil Power', ma be these writer and mongers should read it out.

Moreover, the militant attacks throughout the province require far more than what the LEAs can conjure,
Oh my, so that's the case.

Tsk, the military/paramilitary has to assist now, tsk.

especially since there is concrete evidence that state agencies have been kidnapping and in some cases targeting people as well. I won't go into long details here. Reactionary forces rise besides the already armed militants. It then becomes a sustained law and order problem, keeping in mind the widespread use of military power in the province for quite some time.

Hey, wash me, but hey, i should get wet either.

Why go all savage over the issue? As far as I see it, the author was merely stating that citizens have been left at the mercy of a plethora of killers roaming throughout the city.
Oh sho innocent....
:no:

Should the citizens wall their localities, man their areas and restrict entries? I guess not. However, the police seriously has to do more.

Police, yeah police.

If not the Army has to do MORE!

PS: Self-righteousness and moralism have little value in such debates

Exactly.

I didn't get your point at all. The military is by all standards dictating the policies in Balochistan and the Federation has been apathetic and has left it to them as well.
Correct.

Yawn...!! So what to do now?

Police is sleeping and greasing their palms. Raisani, et al in Dubai, as the author states.

Too much oscillation.

Decide, who has to be blamed. The above mentioned guys or the (para) military dudes.

to be honest to ourselves places like makrandeira bugti(in balochistan) and places like moahmand agency,kurram agency (in nwfp) are always isolated and no one cares what goes on out there!!

for people living in sindh & punjab pakistan consists of only 2 provinces!

even in major cities like karachi Liyari(a dominant baloch area) is the most bacward area of karachi!

now the basic sentiments of pakistanis atleast in KARACHI IMO are as follows:

ALL BALOCH ARE GHADAR

PATHANS ARE SUICIDAL EXTREMISTS!

ALL BALOCH ARE GHADAR

PATHANS ARE SUICIDAL EXTREMISTS!

You are sadly mistaken!

Balochs and Pathans are as Pakistanis as you and me.

It's just the the f!lth in our brains that make some of us think like this.

But then, no one with separatist or anti-Pakistan sentiments would be spared, may it be Punjabi, Sindhi or whatever!

You are sadly mistaken!

Balochs and Pathans are as Pakistanis as you and me.

It's just the the f!lth in our brains that make some of us think like this.

But then, no one with separatist or anti-Pakistan sentiments would be spared, may it be Punjabi, Sindhi or whatever!

Ameen InshAllah!!!! :pakistan:

but i was stating the basic mentality of MOST Karachi people i come across if we ever discuss such topics there has to be 1 in3 people who would say balochi ghadar hain! (even though i think they mean to only SPEAK of the SARDARs)

or you must know the Pathan sayings that pathans are pagal blow themselves for money type RANTS!

i HOPE THIS MENTALITY CHANGES!!!!!WE NEED TO UNITE AS A NATION AS ONE IDENTITY! WE MUST STOP GENERALIZATION.

Last edited:
Ameen InshAllah!!!! :pakistan:

but i was stating the basic mentality of MOST Karachi people i come across if we ever discuss such topics there has to be 1 in3 people who would say balochi ghadar hain! (even though i think they mean to only SPEAK of the SARDARs)

or you must know the Pathan sayings that pathans are pagal blow themselves for money type RANTS!

i HOPE THIS MENTALITY CHANGES!!!!!WE NEED TO UNITE AS A NATION AS ONE IDENTITY! WE MUST STOP GENERALIZATION.
Ice, i am a Karachiate and have also served in Balochistan and seriously, i yet have to see ANYONE saying what you have told us.

Cutting Pathan jokes is one side, but no one blamed the entire Pathan race for 'blowing themselves up for money', nor did the Balochs were made targets during such discussions. Yes, their leaders and to some extent their 'delayed' response to indiscrimination is targeted, but i dont think (most) people in Pakistan has yet crossed that threshold where they would openly talk rubbish!

Last edited:
Ice, i am a Karachiate and have also served in Balochistan and seriously, i yet have to see ANYONE saying what you have told us.

Cutting Pathan jokes is one side, but no one blamed the entire Pathan race for 'blowing themselves up for money', nor did the Balochs were made targets during such discussions. Yes, their leaders and to some extent their 'delayed' response to indiscrimination is targeted, but i dont think (most) people in Pakistan has yet crossed that threshold where they would openly rubbish!

yes all is well in our city karachi! & no one is racist :cheers::disagree:

In Dawn, there is news about target killing in karachi.
Is it gangwar? or ethical group settling scores.
Pls elaborate.
Gang Wars - The gang being MQM, PPP and ANP.Political Parties Fighting each other but largely Karachi is under MQM control and free from Taliban activities Thanks to MQM strict vigilance on the city.

British are two faced hypocrites.We should limit British Access to Baluchistan.They even offered to train Frontier Corps in Baluchistan few years back which was actually attempt of putting their spy in Baluchistan and the balochi leaders need to understand that whatever they want they should discuss it with GOP @ Islamabad instead of UN.Pakistan is too strong now to listen to someone regarding such a serious issue.The moderate leaders who are willing to reconcile should be given full protection unless Swat like position will arrive.

That would be ideal, but the thing is that these so called leaders like Khan of Khalat don't want to talk to Pakistan, they just want to cause drama and bring attention to themselves.

Xeric sahab, I'll to reply to your response tomorrow as I've a lot of stuff to handle right now. However I must clear one thing right now. I feel that there's some sort of approval-association going on here. My intention was to post a report and since the journalist was Amir Mateen, I too was expecting something far better.

Focus-Balochistan-II
Monday, July 26, 2010
By Amir Mateen

QUETTA: Violence is no longer an abstract word in Balochistan’s capital city. It is a dreaded reality and one so close and deadly that you can see it writ large on the faces of people in the bazaars of Quetta, what to speak of other areas which were never known for any admirable writ of the state.

Walking through the markets here one cannot help noticing that people no longer look into the eyes of another for the fear of the unsaid, the unknown, the deadly. Nobody even strikes a real conversation without first judging the other’s ethnicity, sect and political ideology. Violence has impacted life in every way, right down to what you wear. Trousers are out, because anyone wearing one would be deemed as a settler or Punjabi and more likely to be gunned down than someone sporting a traditional shalwar qameez. People are painfully careful about the choice of words and delivery of their dialect in a clear attempt to protect their identity. Festivity on weddings and other social occasions has become a rarity, if ever. People avoid gatherings lest they become targets of bomb explosions.

Quetta’s bowl-like geography is such that a firing or explosion in one part of the city can, in most cases, be heard all over the city. This in turn unleashes rumour factories that push the city’s panic button. Mothers can be seen rushing to schools, fathers back home to protect their families, shutters come down like clockwork while the legions of the young unemployed youth get out to watch or to be part of some action of tyre-burning or stone-pelting. Meanwhile, in the nearby Quetta Cantonment, the officers, particularly those likely to be promoted as generals at the Staff and Command College, receive calls from families and friends pleading them not to send children into the wilderness outside their safer confines.

For the rest of the country, particularly in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi, such events happening here merit a mere single-column news on inside pages, a momentary blot or a crawling scroll on news channels and life goes on as this picture is not reflected in the national news media as much or as often as it should. One big reason being the ‘small’ local journalists’ fear of writing too much about it. They can name names of the people involved in most crimes but only in private. Almost all journalist colleagues requested anonymity while talking about the issue. A senior journalist in Quetta was candid enough to say: “You can afford to write or talk about this because you don’t live here whereas we can lose a limb or life for saying a lot less.”

In most schools in Quetta’s Baloch localities, Pakistani anthem is not allowed to be recited or the national flag to be hoisted. Many have been forbidden from teaching Pakistan Studies as a subject. Only recently, five Baloch youngsters turned up at the St. Mary’s Convent to burn the national flag, and it’s happening all over. Anti-Pakistan separatist slogans are chalked on walls anywhere you traverse in the northern parts in what is known as Jhalawan or the southern Baloch territory of Sarawan.

Yet, many believe that while the situation may be dreary it still cannot be compared with earlier Baloch insurgencies. “Most of the action is sporadic symbolism than concrete political realities on ground,” says analyst Noor Kakar. “It is more anarchy than an insurgency.” The present spate of violence is different from the earlier insurgencies in many ways. One, the present phase does not have the class of leadership in terms of experience, organisation, unity and respect. The first three Baloch conflicts in 1948, 1958 and the 1960s were relatively smaller than the major insurgency of the 1970s but the leadership then was revered by the insurgents.

Prince Abdul Karim Khan had the credentials to gather nationalists of those days for the ‘greater Balochistan’ after his brother Mir Ahmad Yar, the Khan of Kalat, signed accession that the nationalists claim was forced on him. In the end it took no more than a small army battalion to quell the rebellion.

In the 1958 insurgency, Nawab Nowroze Khan was highly revered by his followers who took up arms against the formation of West Pakistan as one unit. In the end, five of his family members were hanged for killing Pakistani troops and the Nawab also died in captivity. Sher Mohammad Marri was perhaps the ablest Baloch leader to lead the insurgency from 1963 to 1969. The initial provocations for the insurgency were the army bases that were built in the Baloch area but later ballooned into a larger movement for the Baloch rights on mineral resources and independence. General Sherov, as he was called, raised parallel posts across the 445 mile Baloch belt giving the Pakistani establishment tough time until General Yahya Khan abolished the One Unit.

The Parrari movement of the 1970s is listed among the top 10 wars in the 20th century in terms of the casualties that the Pakistan Army suffered at the hands of the Baloch insurgents led by Nawab Khair Bux Marri. He had the support of most major Baloch leaders of the time, except Nawab Akbar Bugti who, nationalists believed, stabbed the movement in the back by becoming the governor after Sardar Attaullah Mengal resigned in protest against the dissolution of the National Awami Party government in NWFP (now Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa).

The present conflict is hardly a comparison by any standard. The most prominent leader of the Balochistan Republican Party and its militant wing, Brahamdagh Bugti is too young and inexperienced to match his predecessors. He has to first get himself accepted from his own Bugti tribe as a tribal chief and from his rival cousins and uncles. He may have gone too far in his relationship with the Indians and in times that are different from the 1970s. The Baloch leadership stands divided on the issue. Khair Bux Marri stands on one extreme in his support for armed insurgency. The incorrigible Nawab is too old and isolated to lead. While Balaach Marri died in mysterious circumstances, none of his other sons have an iota of their father’s charisma. Attaullah Mengal may support the movement morally but he stayed out of action even during the 1970s insurgency. His son, former Chief Minister Akhtar Mengal, is angry for being imprisoned and tortured by the previous regime but his faction of Balochistan National Party is still reluctant to support the separatists openly. Others like the National Party led by Dr Maalick too remains committed to work within the federation of Pakistan.

The rebel groups in the field are such a hotchpotch that it is as difficult to keep a track of them as to know who is sponsored by whom. A hotchpotch of rebel groups exists including Baloch Liberation Army, Baloch Liberation United Front and Baloch Massallah Daffah Army. They seem to all work on their own agendas, often at variant with each other. The organisation, unity and the support in the masses are no match to the earlier insurgencies.

Most important, times may have changed a lot. The Pashtun factor and the rise of the clergy in Balochistan cannot be ignored. A sizeable section of Baloch nationalists, even if they are angry over what they believe is the exploitation of Islamabad, will agree that an independent Balochistan or new states are not possible in this day and age. Afghanistan may be harbouring Brahamdagh but it is not like the Afghanistan support of the insurgency in the 1970s. “All we want is a better and a fairer deal from the establishment,” says JWP Secretary General Rauf Khan Sasoli. “Is this asking for too much?”.

For a change, unlike the 1970s or even the Musharraf regime, Islamabad is more receptive to the demands of Balochistan. The problem is that Islamabad has no idea who to give what and how to appease the angry nationalists. There are serious flaws in the administrative and political set-up to execute the agenda even if every demand of the nationalists is accepted. Politicians need to do more than issue statements and the army more open minded than it has been so far. (continued)

@sparklingway

For the rest of the country, particularly in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi, such events happening here merit a mere single-column news on inside pages

the point i have been raising all ALONG thank you AMIR MATEEN!!! i hope that people in major cities(who wield all the power) wake up to this reality that places like quetta,kurram agency,kalat etc are all equal parts of pakistan!

as for the whole write up the only silver lining is that the baloch insurgency LEADERS are divided amongst themselves & lack support but the question is how long will this last sooner or later they will unite will we be prepared to take them on? infact why should we wait for them to unite why not address the grievences NOW of the common man of balochistan and make these factions implode!

Last edited:
Special Report on Balochistan - 3
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
By Amir Mateen

QUETTA: The Balochistan conflict, at one level, happens to be the most complex issue in the country. A sectarian quagmire exists where the local Shia population, predominantly the Hazara community, is under constant threat by local Taliban helped by militant fanatics from as far as Punjab, Waziristan, to Kandahar and Khost in Afghanistan.

A whole gamut of Baloch nationalists from moderates to extremists are fighting for their rights — some against Islamabad, others against ‘Punjabi imperialism’ and still others against the Pakistan Army and the State. An underlying tension prevails between the Pashtuns and the Baloch over distribution of power, resources and territory; between Pakistani Pashtuns and their Afghan counterparts over business and turf; between nationalists and religious political parties and sometimes also between local militants and al-Qaeda. A tug of war also simmers between the settlers (read Punjabis) and locals; between secular and religious elements over lifestyle, not to forget between those who live in the cantonment and those who do not.

Add to this a nexus of smugglers of goods, arms and drugs; the land mafia that makes millions when people sell prime property for peanuts and criminals who take contracts for killing people for as little as a few thousand rupees.

The picture gets more complicated when regional and international forces get involved in this power play. A whole set of theories from the ridiculous to the sublime prevail about the classical ‘great game’ over the mineral resources of Balochistan. Enter the British, Americans, Chinese, Arab Sheikhs and all those jazzy players backed by multinationals that make James Bond movies so watch able. The only five-star hotel in Quetta presents a leaf from the classical movie, Casablanca, where every shady character is out to sell each other.

Some facts, however, belie the Hollywood scripts. The Chinese want to expand their investment in Gwadar by linking road and rail links for the cheaper energy and commercial supplies in future. “The Americans and many regional countries have a problem with that,” says PML-N’s Anwaarul Haq Kakar. “It’s quite possible that these powers are fomenting trouble in Balochistan.”

The same powers may have a problem with the proposed Iranian pipeline into Pakistan. The Afghan legacy is there in the shape of massive refugee camps. Replicas of Kandahar exist in Quetta’s localities of Nawankilli, Kharrotabad, Pashtunabad, Killi Khotik Chashma, and Killi Raiti Bulledi. “Kandaharis hold jirgas in Nawankilli as if they were in their own country,” says journalist Farhan Bokhari.

The mystery of the so-called Quetta Shura remains unsettled but the linkages of Balochistan with the war in Afghanistan and its impact on the provincial polity cannot be underestimated. Finally, the Indian footprints are all over. It is only in Quetta that one realizes the severity of the proxy war being played between India and Pakistan. If all this does not qualify as a momentous mess, then what does?

On another level, the fundamentals in Balochistan are quite simple. The conflict revolves primarily around four factors: The administrative (mis) governance in controlling the law and order; the political handling as opposed to the military solutions; a fairer economic development and its execution cutting across the corrupt ways of the Sardari system, and lastly the curtailment of foreign interference.

More simply, it boils down to just one-governance, without which the other three could not be executed. And that, sadly, is the weakest link in the Balochistan chain. “There is no governance in Balochistan,” said former Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, Nawab Wazir Jogezai. “The province has been left to the rules of jungle.”

Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani is extremely handicapped as he has feuds of blood running with, among others, the Rinds, Bugtis, Domkis, Jatois, Kalhois involving scores of murders taking place on each side. This makes his personal enmity stretching to nearly half of the Baloch tribes. The Interior Ministry put its foot down recently when Raisani sought the FC para-military troops to settle scores with former Federal Minister Yar Mohammad Rind, whom he accuses of murdering his father. The Nawab of Rinds, Yar Mohammad is one of the only two Balochistan opposition MPAs in a house of 65. Such is Raisani’s terror that ‘Rind’ has not come to the Balochistan Assembly after his oath taking two years ago.

Raisani is running the administration like a personal fiefdom. The chief minister, who is a former police DSP, is always keen to promote rankers as District Police Officers (DPO), some of them old colleagues. DPO Pishin Asad Nasir, DPO Nasirabad Javed Hashim, DPO Chamman Rauf Bareech, among many others, are rankers who got promoted on the whims of the higher authorities. Even the crucial post of RPO operations in Quetta has been given to a ranker, Hamid Shakil Sabir while many able regular officers have been sidelined as OSDs.

Taking the cue, most of the 60 plus cabinet have got the police officials down to the level of SHOs of their choice. This has messed up the entire administration setting into motion a wave of crime and sabotage. Former Inspector General Police (IG) Chaudhary Yaqoob is on record saying, “the political set-up is so weak that the law and order situation cannot be controlled.” IG Police Javed Bokhari, disheartened on political interference, left on a two-month leave for Canada that got extended to six months and his colleagues say he may not come back at all. Malik Iqbal, a highly respected officer, has been appointed as the new IG and it is yet to be seen how long he will survive. And this is just the beginning.

The police have no writ beyond a six-mile ring outside main cities. Over 80 per cent of Balochistan is what is called as “B-area,” which is the British legacy of running affairs through local tribes hired as levies. The Police Reforms of 2006 abolished the system by converging ‘B area’ into regular police administered ‘A area.’ This was a blow to the Sardari system through which they retained control in their areas. The Sardars in the Balochistan Assembly got a resolution passed against it. The process got stalled as a few Levies’ officers challenged it in the Services Tribunal. The issue is now believed to be pending in the Supreme Court.

The provincial government was quick to revert back to the old system. This may have contributed to the worsening of the law and order situation. Reports say that there have been cases of 12 murders in Jhal Magsi but none of them has been reported, as they will be decided in a jirga. This gives the local Sardar, in this case Governor Nawab Zulfiqar Magsi, the leverage to control people. “This has happening all over and the situation is worse in Dera Bugti and Kohlu,” confirmed a police source on the condition of anonymity.

This is how the Sardars not only influence the administration but also run a parallel judiciary. The proponents of the Sardar system may claim that in the absence of swift judiciary, the old system serves the purpose. But the fact remains the system has not been able to control the present law and order situation. Former Federal Minister for Law and Human Rights opines that the judiciary should see it as the case for parallel justice system like the Sharia courts in Swat and dispose off the matter. Till then, the crisis of governance in Balochistan continues to get worsen.

There is lots of clamour from the political class to get rid of the Frontier Corps troops from trouble areas. One hears numerous complaints about their over stretching their authority. Yet, military sources point out, it is on the request of the provincial government that the FC is involved in the security duties. “Given a choice, we would like to go back to the frontiers,” said the sources.

The provincial government has a love-hate relationship with the FC. The chief minister does not like it when the FC nabs his son in a case but wants it to perform security duties. “We may not like it, but imagine what will happen without the para-military,” says Anwaarul Haq. “The police alone cannot handle it”. Apparently, till there is a responsible police and administrative order, the FC is all that Balochistan appears to have got even though it is definitely not the ideal agency to handle the chaos that Balochistan has become. (Continued)

The Balohistan issue is not as complex as it seems. Some vested quarters are just trying to stirr up the water. We need to accommodate more federal roles for the Baloch so that there is a balance in representation. Baloch can be given high profile government roles so that no can point fingers to discriminations. Educational and health facilities should be enhanced and tribalism should be discouraged. These will all gradually happen since there is now a multi ethnic government in place in Islamabad.

US announces special projects for Balochistan

QUETTA: US Consul General to Karachi William J Martin on Monday announced the launch of special projects in Balochistan besides the opening of a US consulate in the provincial metropolis. He was addressing a ceremony held in connection with the 234th Independence Day of America at a local hotel in Quetta. The ceremony was attended by Balochistan Assembly Speaker Muhammad Aslam Bhootani, provincial ministers, MPAs and several journalists. Martin said the US was committed to working alongside Pakistan to help improve the country’s health, education and energy sectors. “The US is mulling opening a consulate in Quetta,” he added. He announced several new assistance programmes worth millions of dollars for Balochistan. Many of these projects will directly benefit the people of Balochistan, he added. He said, “During the meetings, the government and people have told us the most important need in the province is water. In addition to a national high-efficiency irrigation project that will include Balochistan, we are working with the provincial government to provide the people with potable water.” He said, “The programme will enhance irrigation and distribution capacity, energy is also a concern in Balochistan. We already have a programme with the Quetta Electricity Supply Company to help them improve services to the public and reduce losses and increase efficiency.” “The US geological survey will provide assistance in identifying natural gas resources in Balochistan and to further their development. We will also provide assistance to help the country improve its regulatory and fiscal regimes in order to attract more investment,” he said. app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom