What's new

Pakistan's Role in stoping the Bosnian Genocide.

I don't doubt there was Pak involvement. The few SAGGER-Ts we found were from Pakistan ... whether they were cheap on the black arms market or someone in Islamabad let some slipped through, I don't know. The question is of what level and what effectiveness. As I stated, I know of no Pak Captains leading combat companies in Bosnia. We have pretty well identified all the major combatant formations at company level and above (there were no 5000 Pak contingent, that's just pure BS).

Pakistanis not in Bosnia?? Are you speaking about a specific timeframe? Pakistan has had a robust presence in Bosnia from 92 - 96 (2 Pakistani Inf bns and suporting elements called PAKBAT1 and PAKBAT2 operated around Tuzla). The Pakistani commitment in terms of manpower was around 3000.

Sagger-Ts are not in the Pakistan Army inventory so nothing to do with these. POF did export about 30 or so Baktar Shikan (Green Arrow) ATGM systems plus rounds in low hundreds. Those were used by the Bosnians themselves. Based on what I know, Pakistani Army advisors "advised" the Bosnian Army. The systems were/are effective with Royal Malaysian Army purchasing them as well from Pakistan.

Pakistanis not in Bosnia?? Are you speaking about a specific timeframe? Pakistan has had a robust presence in Bosnia from 92 - 96 (2 Pakistani Inf bns and suporting elements called PAKBAT1 and PAKBAT2 operated around Tuzla). The Pakistani commitment in terms of manpower was around 3000.
Sorry, wasn't thinking of PAKBAT in that context but rather in context of the original post of providing Mujahadeen contingents.

Care to show us some pictures of the parade

Actually he is correct i have seen those pictures also,i will try to hunt them down.
There was a programme about hamza yusuf "mr hook" and the invovment of british muslims in the bosnian war.
Thats where i saw the pics .

Sorry, wasn't thinking of PAKBAT in that context but rather in context of the original post of providing Mujahadeen contingents.

Where you based in sarajevo by any chance,one of my uncles was based there and the other in croatia,i think it was splitz.
Did you meet any pakistani soilders ? both my uncles where in the AJK regiment that served in the bosnian war,i will try getting the years maybe it was the same time as you.

I asked my friend about the mujahedin in Bosnia. He says after the soviet left most of the mujahedin came to Bosnia to help the muslims, when the war was over many left and some settled down in Bosnia permanently. Since they have military experience they was integrated in the army and today they are a own brigade in the army.

But now the mujahedins are making trouble, they claim that Bosnia is not enough "islamic" and have created their own "sharia villages". And the government dont want that picture of the country for several reasons i.e EU membership and want to take away their citizenship. ( http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2578472.ece )

this is some on the mujahdin brigade: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Mujahid (i know it is wikipedia but better than nothing)

PS: i have also seen the movie when the mujahedin are marching and holding on to the flag. I will try to find it.

What is PAKBAT?

PAKBAT = Pakistani Battalion. It was an acronym given to Pakistani units in Bosnia. Other contingents had similar acronyms.

As per a famous book ;) When the issue of peacekeepers for Bosnia came up, Pakistan was also asked for contributions and the country was willing to oblige. However due to being a Muslim country and being asked to operate in the heart of Europe, this became a sensitive issue. When the Pakistani advance party involving the DGMO PA went to ascertain the requirements, a European officer briefing the Pakistani team started talking about the tough operating conditions in and around Bosnia to discourage the Pakistani officers and eventual deployment. The officer said that you have to operate in environments ranging from 8000-9000 feet in altitude and temperatures below 0..it would be tough going etc..little did he realize that Pakistani units operate at heights of 17000-19000 feet and in temperatures exceeding -50 Celsius. The net of the story is that the officer briefing the Pakistani team was embarrased at the occasion and Pakistani units did deploy and came back after fulfilling their term.

I asked my friend about the mujahedin in Bosnia. He says after the soviet left most of the mujahedin came to Bosnia to help the muslims, when the war was over many left and some settled down in Bosnia permanently. Since they have military experience they was integrated in the army and today they are a own brigade in the army.

But now the mujahedins are making trouble, they claim that Bosnia is not enough "islamic" and have created their own "sharia villages". And the government dont want that picture of the country for several reasons i.e EU membership and want to take away their citizenship. ( http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2578472.ece )

this is some on the mujahdin brigade: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Mujahid (i know it is wikipedia but better than nothing)

PS: i have also seen the movie when the mujahedin are marching and holding on to the flag. I will try to find it.

Sounds like it was Arab mujahideen that went to Bosnia, not Afghan'Pakistani ones in this case.

According to most I know, there was never a Pakistani contigent in bosnia, we have UN Lt.Col from canada, and i rather take his word

Yes you are right, this is the world of propaganda. However I am giving the following proof regarding the marvellous role of Pakistani Army in Bosnia-Herzegovina:

Bosnia (March 1992 to February 1996)
Contribution: 3000 troops.
Casualties: 2.

United Nations Protection Forces in Bosnia (UNPROFOR), recognizing the commendable performance of the Pakistan Army Contingents as United Nations peacekeepers in Somalia and Cambodia, the United Nations requested the Government of Pakistan to contribute troops to the United Nations Protection Force in Bosnia-Herzegovina. A 3000 strong contingent consisting of two Battalion Groups and a National Support (NS) Headquarters left for Bosnia and Croatia in May 1994.

The two battalion groups PAKBAT 1 and PAKBAT 2 were deployed in the towns of Dares and Durdevik (near the city of Tuzla) in Bosnia while the National Support Headquarters remained based at Split, Croatia. They were tasked to stabilize the military situation with a view to encouraging return of normalcy, improving freedom of movement by maintaining existing routes, providing protection and supporting various United Nations agencies and NGOs engaged in their relief activities and coordinate humanitarian assistance. The PAKBATs performed their military duties with total commitment. Two officers, one junior commissioned officer and three non commissioned officers laid down their lives for the noble cause of bringing peace to a war ravaged territory. Their sacrifices were duly acknowledged by United Nations Force Commander and the local population.

Pakistani Peace Keepers who were the first to respond and assist over 50,000 refugees who came over after the Serbs had over-run the United Nations declared Safe Heavens of Srebrenica and Zepa in July 95. As it was an event which had not been foreseen by the Bosnian government and the United Nations authorities, it was the Pakistani Peace Keepers who bore the brunt of the crisis for 36 hours single handedly. Food, clothing, medical treatment and shelter to these war-ravaged people was provided by the PAKBAT from their own resources before help arrived. Even after the arrival of assistance, it were the Pakistani troops who managed and coordinated the relief activities. It was duly acknowledged in an impressive ceremony organized by Tuzia Red Cross to award certificates of merit to all those who contributed in relief operations.
:pakistan: :pakistan:

As per a famous book ;) When the issue of peacekeepers for Bosnia came up, Pakistan was also asked for contributions and the country was willing to oblige. However due to being a Muslim country and being asked to operate in the heart of Europe, this became a sensitive issue. When the Pakistani advance party involving the DGMO PA went to ascertain the requirements, a European officer briefing the Pakistani team started talking about the tough operating conditions in and around Bosnia to discourage the Pakistani officers and eventual deployment. The officer said that you have to operate in environments ranging from 8000-9000 feet in altitude and temperatures below 0..it would be tough going etc..little did he realize that Pakistani units operate at heights of 17000-19000 feet and in temperatures exceeding -50 Celsius. The net of the story is that the officer briefing the Pakistani team was embarrased at the occasion and Pakistani units did deploy and came back after fulfilling their term.

You are right as when even Iran and PLO of Yasir Arafat announced there participation on the UN call but it was rejected under the tag of "Fundamentalists".
I think only Serb Assasins were civilised in their eyes.
Secondly they were trying hard that most of the peace keepers must be from US or Western countries so they can get a complete free hand to wipe out as many Bosnian Muslims as possible. :pakistan: :pakistan:

Yes you are right, this is the world of propaganda. However I am giving the following proof regarding the marvellous role of Pakistani Army in Bosnia-Herzegovina:
Oh please! UNPROFOR was a freaking disaster. I know. I served there. And I was not talking about PAKBAT. I was responding to your suggestion that Pakistani mercs were siding with the Bosnian Muslims at the company level and above. There was no such thing.

And let's be real here. PAKBAT did the best they could but IN NO WAY did they do anything that could be considered tilting the balance. Hell, they didn't even try to relieve DUTCHBAT at Srebrenecia and DUTCHBAT was screaming for help.

The collapse of the Bosnian Serbs came after Krajina. Nothing else, not even the reilief of Sarajevo by the Canadians, Brits, and French. Canadians and Brits from the outside and the French from the inside.

PAKBAT did their job. They didn't take sides. They even prevented Bosnian Muslims from launching attacks from their ground.

And as far as I was concerned, there were no good guys in Bosnia. You've got the Jihadists, Communists, and Nazis. Only the commies sucked at the PR machine. I was in Sarajevo when the market got bombed and ballastics comfirmed the mortars came from the Muslim side of the lines. It may very well be that Serbs snucked over to the Muslim lines and lobbed a few mortars but that would imply the Muslims don't know how to maintain a perimeter. Take your pick. Incompetence or deliberate attempt.

PAKBAT = Pakistani Battalion. It was an acronym given to Pakistani units in Bosnia. Other contingents had similar acronyms.

Any pictures of PAKBAT in Bosnia at all?

if it is true that thousands strong PAKBAT was there showing off their heroics then how did the massacres of Bosnian muslims and the rape of the Muslim women in he worst possible way happen? someone claimed they were doing their job well in Srebenica but it was the DUTCHBAT that were there and infamously failed to protect the muslims from the serb animals! Where were the PAKBAT?!those one two mujahids went from all muslim countries, not just pakistan.

Pakbat was deployed late in the war and could not take sides.

Pakistan was fully committed to supporting Bosnia, but the problem was insertion of weapons (Bosnia is geographically surrounded).

Pakistan supplied a/tk missiles which destroyed a major serb tank formation near doboj.

Many foreign muslims servd in Bosnia.

An aid ship from pakistan was searched by nato ships as it approached the Croatian coast and was found to have 7,000 rpg rounds hidden on board.

I do not know for sure, but I would be very surprised if any Pakistani military personnel served in Bosnia with the Bosnian army.

I have no doubt that had there been no blockade, the GOP would have let The Bosnian army help themselves to anything in the cupboard.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom