What's new

Pakistan's Pashtuns Feel More Alone Than Ever

A very misleading and biased article. However, some of my friends have got involved in a useless debate. I am a Pakhtun and have a very strong sense of affinity with my Afghan Pakhtun brethren, its the same as an Uzbek frm Uzbekistan wud have with an Afghan Uzbek or a Tajik frm neighboring Tajikistan with a Tajik frm Afghanistan. But this does not mean that I value my nationality which is Pakistani any less. Pakistani Pakhtuns are very proud to be a part of the country, for which they had an opportunity to choose (referendum) unlike some of the other ethnic groups and communities, which are part of present day Pakistan. For sure there is a sense of disappointment in some areas of KPK, but the people in those areas do not blame Pakistan for their plight. And BTW how can Pakhtuns be against the Army, Pak Army is proud to have a major representation frm Pakhtuns. Mr Shaheen Buneri, is surely playing in the hands of the enemies of Pakistan, and is only focused on his personal gains from such useless and baseless propaganda.

Ahmad writes!!!

"Musharaf once had said that the Pashtoons must be dominant in Afghanistan's affairs, that statement was strongly rejected by pashtoon Zahir Shah, it is not uncommon to hear these statements from pakistanand see it in practice, but lets hope for a better understanding in the future."
I am sure sir that Zahir Shah must have said this because he himself couldn't speak Pushto. But the matter of the fact remains that Pakhtoons are the largest ethnic group of Afghanistan and therefore should be represented in the same proportion in the Govt and the decision making of the country!!!

True and agree with it, but sadly in Afghanistan it is a hot matter, this stupid thing was started by Zahir and Dawood. but that is not the only thing, non pashtoon villages get attacked and looted by pashtoon nomads, it has become norm, although not as much as it was during the taliban.

are there many documented cases of such things happening once taleban had taken control and ran the affairs of the country?

I am glad to hear that and you will have my respect even further, ethno nationalism is wrong and a recepi for disaster. By the way, hope you know that those Afghans are the pashtoon ones, we dont have any issue with the KP, it is integral part of pakistan and end of it.

Thank you for your forth-coming and honest answer. This is a pleausure to read and it makes me happy.

Musharaf once had said that the Pashtoons must be dominant in Afghanistan's affairs, that statement was strongly rejected by pashtoon Zahir Shah, it is not uncommon to hear these statements from pakistanand see it in practice, but lets hope for a better understanding in the future.

when he said that?

Muslim unity etc have lost the meaning for me. i might be wrong but it is personal opinion.

well; i can't blame you. But never lose faith. Almost as importantly in life, never lose your sense of humour -even in toughest times.

I'm sorry about what happened to your family; and i'm also sorry to see the pain and suffering of Afghans --and some of my own countrymen.

Since both countries are facing difficult times, it's up to the leaders and the people to correct all the wrongs and eradicate all the ills and misguidance existing in the society.

peace, friendship, prosperity and sustainable growth are always more favourable than constant gunfire, political instability and being in a strained position

In a multi ethnic country like afghanistan no any single ethnic group must have monoply over the gov affairs, right now the pashtoons have the biggest share in the gov, but do not have monoply like during the taliban time and zahir/dawod time. on the other hand, a dominant pashton gov in afghanistan is surely not to the benefit of pakistan either, hope we dont forget the Zahir Shah and Dawood that didnt even recognize pakistan's existence, and their motive was primarily ethncity and the issue of NWFP presently KP. At least you dont see this territorial issue with the non pashtoons of afghanistan.

Salaams Ahmad,

I agree that in the past there was major friction with Zahir/Dawood regime, slowly things have evolved in both countries.
Now Pashtuns in Pakistan are present in each and every province and each and every key organization at key posts.
They are quite literally one of the strongest communities in Pakistan.

Based on these facts i am compelled to strongly dismiss the notion that there is an environment hostile to Pashtuns in Pakistan, that is absolutely contrary to the reality.
Such propaganda articles are deliberately aimed towards creating ethnic insecurity in Pakistan.

I am not commenting on whether Pashtuns should have more or less role in Afghanistan, that is another discussion...for another day...:)
I am saying that they enjoy lesser role in Afghanistan than in the past, whereas in Pakistan they are truly quite dominant in every field.
So for someone to create this image that they feel oppressed in Pakistan, we have no farther to look than across the border for comparison and realize how absurd this claim really is especially when we know that Pashtuns have only Pakistan and Afghanistan as their home.

Having said all this, Pakistan and Afghanistan really need to lift themselves up and put the ghosts of past to rest.
Ideally the Pashtun element should help bridge the distances and not be a cause of conflict for our two nations.

Let us hope for better times ahead.

Ahmad writes!!!

"Musharaf once had said that the Pashtoons must be dominant in Afghanistan's affairs, that statement was strongly rejected by pashtoon Zahir Shah, it is not uncommon to hear these statements from pakistanand see it in practice, but lets hope for a better understanding in the future."
I am sure sir that Zahir Shah must have said this because he himself couldn't speak Pushto. But the matter of the fact remains that Pakhtoons are the largest ethnic group of Afghanistan and therefore should be represented in the same proportion in the Govt and the decision making of the country!!!

He spoke or not spoke pashto is not the issue here, he(himslef), his father, cousin Dawood and uncles badly suppressed the other ethnic groups, took thier land and gave to the pashtoons, culturely, socially suppressed them, the non pashtoons especially the hazaras and uzbeks werent allowed to be in army positions, the only position they were given was to be servants in pashtoon generals houses, being an officer/general etc for a non pashtoon was a no go area, dont forget that it was in the time of Zahir's family rule that the gov of AFghanistan didnt recognize pakistan's indepedence despite the fact that india was quite OK with it, if all the above has nothing to do with issues of pashtoo ethnicity then tell me what it is? yes, pashtoons are the largest group and they must have their share rightful share which they have, but nobody must have dominance, this is wrong for our country, our unity and future.

Dear Brother Ahmad!
Your observations about Zahir Shah are very pertinent and accurate. BTW I as a Pakhtun dont like Zahir Shah a bit and I think all patriotic Pakiatnis wud also share my sentiment. I was just referring to the comment u had made abt Zahir Shah that he being a Pakhtun had opposed the idea of Pakthun dominance of Afghanistan. Very heartening, but in the second breadth u have told us that he was the most cruel ruler of Afghanistan. We also subscribe to the idea but then only Afghan people can decide who wud they want to rule them. And I think they have again chosen a close relative of Zahir Shah to this job. I atleast in my own humble opnion strongly believe that Karzai wud not bring any good to your country, Afghanistan. Because he inspite of being a Pakhtun is playing in the hands of other ethnic groups so he wud never have the trust of a common Pakhtun Afghan. after all what had happened to the smaller ethnic groups in the days of Zahir Shah, is now happening to the Pakhtuns themselves. As you wud know that in ANA the officer's cadre is overwhelmingly composed of Tajiks, Uzbeks and Hazaras, and Pakhtuns are only granted low level employments in the ANA. The same is true for other Govt Deptts and institutions. And BTW it is also carefully planned that the ANA units having Tajik or Uzbek majority are deployed in Southern and Eastern Afghanistan, where they plunder the local lands, cut away jungles and destroy orchards. I hope the rulers of your country can see the writing on the wall, and do something to alleviate the suffering of a common Pakhtun.

are there many documented cases of such things happening once taleban had taken control and ran the affairs of the country?

Please see these sites:

YouTube - Kuchi and taliban Invasion of Behsud, (this report is in farsi, not sure if you know it, it says about the pashtoon kuchi attacks on hazara villages)

Villagers forced out by 'Taliban' nomads - Telegraph

Global Watch Group - Background on Afghanistan, page 10
Recent wave of brutalities by Taliban
THE MASSACRE IN MAZAR-I SHARIF
UN confirms Taliban massacre of ethnic minority
Eyewitness accounts of Taliban massacre in Yakaolang
UN finds mass graves of Hazara killed by Taliban - Asia, World - The Independent

Thank you for your forth-coming and honest answer. This is a pleausure to read and it makes me happy.

:tup::tup:

when he said that?

about 7-8 years ago, it was on the news.

well; i can't blame you. But never lose faith. Almost as importantly in life, never lose your sense of humour -even in toughest times.

lets see what happens in the future, but right now things are not that pleasant.

I'm sorry about what happened to your family; and i'm also sorry to see the pain and suffering of Afghans --and some of my own countrymen.

:tup:

Since both countries are facing difficult times, it's up to the leaders and the people to correct all the wrongs and eradicate all the ills and misguidance existing in the society.

true.

peace, friendship, prosperity and sustainable growth are always more favourable than constant gunfire, political instability and being in a strained position

Yes, and we need to learn from the europeans, but are we in a stage and have the capacity? honestly i am not sure, but we can always remain optimistic.

Dear Brother Ahmad!
Your observations about Zahir Shah are very pertinent and accurate. BTW I as a Pakhtun dont like Zahir Shah a bit and I think all patriotic Pakiatnis wud also share my sentiment. I was just referring to the comment u had made abt Zahir Shah that he being a Pakhtun had opposed the idea of Pakthun dominance of Afghanistan. Very heartening, but in the second breadth u have told us that he was the most cruel ruler of Afghanistan. We also subscribe to the idea but then only Afghan people can decide who wud they want to rule them. And I think they have again chosen a close relative of Zahir Shah to this job. I atleast in my own humble opnion strongly believe that Karzai wud not bring any good to your country, Afghanistan. Because he inspite of being a Pakhtun is playing in the hands of other ethnic groups so he wud never have the trust of a common Pakhtun Afghan. after all what had happened to the smaller ethnic groups in the days of Zahir Shah, is now happening to the Pakhtuns themselves. As you wud know that in ANA the officer's cadre is overwhelmingly composed of Tajiks, Uzbeks and Hazaras, and Pakhtuns are only granted low level employments in the ANA. The same is true for other Govt Deptts and institutions. And BTW it is also carefully planned that the ANA units having Tajik or Uzbek majority are deployed in Southern and Eastern Afghanistan, where they plunder the local lands, cut away jungles and destroy orchards. I hope the rulers of your country can see the writing on the wall, and do something to alleviate the suffering of a common Pakhtun.

Brother, sometimes i have to go back to sq1 to start everything. there was no contradition in my statement about zahir shah, he said it to musharaf and he did what he did during his rule, you also need to know that what he said to musharaf and the time he was ruler is a gap of 40 years, he surely must have had some change of ideas or at least a watered down version of his past policies. the tajiks are mainly in opposition, the uzbeks and hazaras despite their support to karzai didnt get much in the gov and now they have abondaned karzai, officials in pashtoon areas are pashtoons but in non pashtoon areas they appoint pashtoons as well, even hekmatyar who is fighting the gov has several provincial governers and ministers in the gov. karzai might not be good, but who is good for us anyway? i am sure there is nobody. as long as the taliban keep on fighting, they keep the country deep and deeper to stone age, if they stop fighting people will have a chance to decide what to do, if they are liked(the taliban) then people can vote them, this is a solution for afghans according to the afghan, but i am sure the pakistani version of solution for afghanistan might be something else. the non pashtoons are suffering as much as the pashtoons are right now, the taliban explode themselves in non pashtoon areas and kill people in large numbers, they hide themselves in people's houses while people dont want them, they have killed our school kids in dozens in one single atrocity in baghlan province and many more.

Last edited:
And once again, go back and read the two posts, i said support the taliban, not support the Taliban for a rule in Afghanistan.

And what exactly do you mean by this.? Please elaborate.

You know, if at all Afghanistan has to exist as a nation, it must stop hating their own people for some or the other reasons. Earlier, when minorities were there, there was hatred towards them. After they were wiped out by Taliban or kicked out of Afghanistan, the hate was directed towards tribal levels of which "ethnicity" they are.

At this rate, Afghanistan will find it difficult to stay as one country. It has to learn from countries around it. The "stans" of central Asia were divided on the basis of administration by Soviet leaders and many of them have people of other former states today. Still there's no problem as bad as Afghanistan there.

We Indians are another example. Now being a Sikkimese, I appear slightly different from the typical Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi or UP Indians. But still, none of us Indians see this as difference at all.

Afghanistan has a uniform faith system and hence must stop creating further divisions. Accepting international education and developing a standard civil and non-religious education at school and university level is the only way to stop this so called inter-tribal battle and self-isolation. If all of the tribes speak different languages then find a common language that is acceptable to all that all have to learn for uniform communication---a language that has nothing to do with religion or tribe but Afghanistan as a whole.

If Mustafa Kemal of Turkey can transform the very seat of Islamic empire into a non-religious, modern state then so can Afghanistan that too when so many countries are ready to help it develop a civil education and awareness system.

Support them, but not that much that they get the rule. Cleared now ??
And you really think that they would fight for you as mindless robots without eyeing the seat of power? Please buddy. Whom are you kidding? Taliban tasted power for so many years and after that you think they will want to continue as your junior partners? Look what a mess they're making out of your country. Hundreds have been killed by these bandits or their off-shoots in your country as well as ours.

Once any terrorist organization tastes power, it will fight at any cost to take it back, especially the barbaric rule that Talibans imposed on Afghanistan. It is as bad or even worse than Cambodia's Khmer Rouge communists.

Support them, but not that much that they get the rule. Cleared now ??

And how exactly do you measure to which extent you will support them,going beyond which they will get to rule ??

In other words..... How much is "that much" and who will decide that ??

Back
Top Bottom