What's new

Pakistan’s military establishment biggest business group: UNDP

Hence maybe the current “systems” serves everyone in the elite circle - all playing a “you scratch my back I scratch yours”
tbh the most egregious thing about the military-run businesses isn't that they're owned by the military, but that they're managed by the military.

With the resources at their disposal, they should be pushing billions in dollars of exports -- e.g., a subsidiary of FWO can compete for overseas construction contracts and, in turn, source the materials from Pakistan.

Ditto for HIT, POF, PAC, etc.

We basically need the generals to delegate the management of these entities to proven business experts. I'm not saying we should pick up some random guy in Pakistan to do the work (and, sadly enough, that happens).

Rather, Fauji Foundation et. al can tap into tier-1 Pakistani talent from overseas to nurture these entities into huge multi-national conglomerates that can basically drive Pakistan's economy to prosperity.

I think the Turkish model is an interesting start. Their Fauji Foundation equivalent is owned by the Army, but the generals sit as a board of directors. They delegate the management to experts (including engineers and scientists) who, in turn, have grown these entities into giants.

E.g., Turkey's Fauji Foundation now owns British Steel. Not only that, but their Fauji Foundation is also an investor of TAI, which is hiring 3,000 engineers for the TFX. In turn, the TFX is creating an ecosystem that'll create 10,000+ high-tech sector jobs. So yea the elite in Turkey benefit most from the pie, but they're making a giant pie and are inviting more people to enjoy it.

OTOH, in Pakistan, we're in a situation where the nihari goes around the table, but when it comes to the awam they only get the oil (and, sadly enough, are content eating that oil).

Last edited:
tbh the most egregious thing about the military-run businesses isn't that they're owned by the military, but that they're managed by the military.

With the resources at their disposal, they should be pushing billions in dollars of exports -- e.g., a subsidiary of FWO can compete for overseas construction contracts and, in turn, source the materials from Pakistan.

We basically need the generals to delegate the management of these entities to proven business experts. I'm not saying we should pick up some random guy in Pakistan to do the work (and, sadly enough, that happens).

Rather, Fauji Foundation et. al can tap into tier-1 Pakistani talent from overseas to nurture these entities into huge multi-national conglomerates that can basically drive Pakistan's economy to prosperity.

I think the Turkish model is an interesting start. Their Fauji Foundation equivalent is owned by the Army, but the generals sit as a board of directors. They delegate the management to experts (including engineers and scientists) who, in turn, have grown these entities into giants.

E.g., Turkey's Fauji Foundation now owns British Steel. Not only that, but their Fauji Foundation is also an investor of TAI, which is hiring 3,000 engineers for the TFX. In turn, the TFX is creating an ecosystem that'll create 10,000+ high-tech sector jobs. So yea the elite in Turkey benefit most from the pie, but they're making a giant pie and are inviting more people to enjoy it.

OTOH, in Pakistan, we're in a situation where the nihari goes around the table, but when it comes to the awam they only get the oil (and, sadly enough, are content eating that oil).

Rightly pointed by you and the contemporary example is all very valid.

There is a good thing here, the same model has started to be implemented here in Pakistan.

He is the new guy heading the Foundation for all its subsidiaries and its been quite some time now. I'm sure there must have been alot of re-structuring following the new CEO's appointment. But its a long way to go from what you have very rightly recommended.

The interesting aspect is that many of the Turk complexes and others follow a similar pattern but they are smart enough to know not to hire the Fauji for everything. They know that the retired brigadier isn’t the best candidate for marketing or product management.
Their military leadership is just not a nepotistic insecure bunch incapable of delegating experience and expertise to the right people - unfortunately the track record in Pakistan is dismal enough for that to be true. Even the scientists and other “SME” hired are nepotism hires and not necessarily true SMEs.

Pakistan needs a cultural change the likes brought in by cataclysmic events - I simply don’t see any other way. Otherwise as the geopolitical importance wanes this mentality of thinking that (anouzubillah) after Hajr e Aswad it was Pakistanis sent to earth will eventually tear whatever national fabric is left to nothing. As much as one wants to see otherwise, the doom and gloom narrative is where the probabilities are going.

Doom and gloom isn’t necessarily a “balkanization” scenario but essentially a painfully slow and small amplitude sinosoid.

LOL look at wealth distribution around the world. Only a handful of elite hold the vast majority of wealth. Are we going to propose a social movement i.e. Arab spring for all nations around the world?

What is wrong when the Pak army is generating revenue through business? Can anyone explain the sin here? As long as taxes are paid nothing wrong.

I can agree with the rest where fuedals and elites are sucking the common man dry. There needs to be accountability as far as tax payment is concerned. This needs to be done across the board.

View attachment 734915

Surprise. Kanni is an Indian.

just cockroaches running their mouth without looking at their shithole. talk about 500 million indians dying of hunger.

The interesting aspect is that many of the Turk complexes and others follow a similar pattern but they are smart enough to know not to hire the Fauji for everything. They know that the retired brigadier isn’t the best candidate for marketing or product management.
Their military leadership is just not a nepotistic insecure bunch incapable of delegating experience and expertise to the right people - unfortunately the track record in Pakistan is dismal enough for that to be true. Even the scientists and other “SME” hired are nepotism hires and not necessarily true SMEs.

Pakistan needs a cultural change the likes brought in by cataclysmic events - I simply don’t see any other way. Otherwise as the geopolitical importance wanes this mentality of thinking that (anouzubillah) after Hajr e Aswad it was Pakistanis sent to earth will eventually tear whatever national fabric is left to nothing. As much as one wants to see otherwise, the doom and gloom narrative is where the probabilities are going.

Doom and gloom isn’t necessarily a “balkanization” scenario but essentially a painfully slow and small amplitude sinosoid.
Unfortunately, as Afghanistan shows us, even cataclysmic events aren't a lock for positive change.

In fact, we had a decade-long COIN/CT campaign that resulted from our mistakes, and we paid dearly in lives, yet no one learned a thing. Minus a genuine civil war, it could not have gone worse for us.

The only thing left is for divinely ordained series of events (or fate taking the turn we need) that eliminate the bad actors. It's just like how the old elite of Yathrib all died in the Battle of Buath, leaving very young successors (in their late 20s or early 30s).

It was these young successors who sought out Rasul'Allah (SAW). However, even these successors sought greatness at heart (e.g., they wanted to emulate the Jews' tradition of prophets). This isn't even a religious observation, but history -- the Ansar wanted real change, and they ultimately got it.

But what about us Pakistanis? I went to Karachi in 2018 and saw that 99% of the buildings were decaying from the outside, yet their owners and even leasee's parked brand new imported cars. So these guys (owner and tenant alike) had money for brand new cars, but not to bring their buildings up to code and above-minimal serviceability?

This isn't the mentality of folks who want real change.

Last edited:

Even that is not the problem, assuming that military decision making remains free of economic influences. The issue with military run businesses is the adverse effect on the private sector that is rendered uncompetitive, causing a general malaise due to the tilted playing fields. The consequences are amplified and reverberate throughout the country at all levels.

Last edited:
Even that is not the problem, assuming that military decision making remains free of economic influences. The issue with military run businesses is the adverse effect on the private sector that is rendered uncompetitive, causing a general malaise due to the tilted playing fields. The consequences are amplified and reverberate throughout the country at all levels.
by design?

Hence maybe the current “systems” serves everyone in the elite circle - all playing a “you scratch my back I scratch yours”
Without a shadow of doubt,everyone takes a pie.
same beast, different approach.
Yeah housing schemes,fertilzer plants,banks,agriculture,cerel production etc is same as building missiles,jet fighters and other sophisticated equipment.

Pakistan’s feudal elite owns nearly quarter of country’s farm area
Pakistan’s feudal elite, which constitute just 1.1% of the country’s population, owns 22% of its farm area, the UNDP report revealed.
“They have disproportionate access to political representation in the National and provincial assemblies, enabling them to safeguard the tax benefits and special concessions they are granted,” the report said.
These benefits include favoured tax treatment for agricultural income and land revenues, low irrigation water charges despite Pakistan’s water-stressed status, preferential access to bank credit, and subsidies for fertilizers and the provision of electricity for tube wells.
“Overall, in 2017–2018, Pakistan’s feudal class enjoyed privileges totaling Rs370 billion,” it added.

Shatter the feudal masters and the battle will be almost won. The above is shocking.
Same like Egypt - Sisi and his gang have entire parallel industries going. That is why they will never give up control.

Same like Egypt - Sisi and his gang have entire parallel industries going. That is why they will never give up control.
Every Empire reaches it zenith and after that starts a steep painful decline.That's law of nature.

Every Empire reaches it zenith and after that starts a steep painful decline.That's law of nature.
yes friend, unfortunately, Pharoahs have never left Egypt - they continue in the form of their military control.

Sir at least these Fauji foundations and whatever organizations are not in losses . your def of Civilian should first set an example by turning around PTV , PSM , FBR , SECP , NADRA , Punjab & Sindh Police and other institutions into Profit making or modern organizations so that people respect them . Plus don't forget that retired military personal are some what civilian as well . Many civilian organizations also get subsidy as well .

Disappointed when recently saw BLOODY CIVILIAN word on your website article because i believe there are many other ways of sending messages or explaining something . Thank You .

Back
Top Bottom