What's new

Pakistan's Historic and Rich Architecture.

relief_001.jpg

ENTERING THE SHAH RUKN-E-ALAM’S DARBAR
Shah Rukn-e-Alam’s Tomb, Multan, Punjab
The tomb of the Sufi saint Shah Rukn-e-Alam (The pillar of the world) was built between 1320 and 1324. This octagonal building rises to a height of 30.5 metres and has an internal diameter of 16 metres. The dome, said to be the second largest in the world, has a diameter of 17 metres. The exterior of the Mausoleum is made of red bricks, embellished with glazed tile panels, string courses and battlements.
Photographer: Mohammad Anwerzada

relief_010.jpg

CATHEDRAL AT NIGHT
St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Karachi, Sindh
St. Patrick’s Cathedral stands tall and majestic in the night. The Cathedral was consecrated in April 1881. It was built in the Gothic style and designed by three members of the Society of Jesus: Father Wagner, Brother Kluver and Brother Lau.
Photographer: Tahir Jamal

relief_009.jpg

DIVINE INTERSECTION
Allahwala Chowk, Karachi, Sindh
The Allahwala Chowk stands resolutely at the intersection of Tariq Road and Shahrah-e-Quaideen, one of Karachi’s busiest commercial hubs. Tariq Road is a shopper’s paradise and is busy throughout the day and well into the night.
Photographer: Tahir Jamal

relief_005.jpg

THE BLUES OF BHIT SHAH
Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai’s Shrine, Bhit Shah, Sindh
Elaborate kashi tiles in shades of blue decorate the surfaces of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai’s shrine, which is built in typical Sindhi style with limestone domes, minarets, tile and mirror work. Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai is a revered Sindhi saint and poet; he renounced material comforts, and chose a bhit or sand dune on which to sit and meditate. His poems have been compiled in a collection entitled Shah Jo Risalo.
Photographer: Arif Mahmood

A former princely state, Bahawalpur still carries quaint reminders of its rich past– from mighty forts to resplendent palaces to mystical shrines. But the jewel in the crown continues to be Noor Mahal, the palace of light.

According to popular lore, the palace was built by Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV for his wife but she refused to live there due to its close proximity to a graveyard. Built on neoclassical lines, was completed in 1875 and covers an area of 44,600 square feet. Noor Mahal was declared a national monument and the Pakistan Army spent two years restoring the building. While the building is now open to visitors, it also serves as an army mess. Its glorious façade and interiors were saved for posterity in drama serial Noor Bano, a modern day fairy tale.

Be it the grand baby piano, massive chandeliers and the gilded furniture, the chipped mosaic floors or the ‘haunted’ dungeons, every nook and cranny of Noor Mahal has some bit of history attached to it. – Text and photos by Madeeha Syed

bvh-noor-mahal-01.jpg

bvh-noor-mahal-02.jpg

bvh-noor-mahal-06.jpg

bvh-noor-mahal-12.jpg

bvh-noor-mahal-03.jpg

DAWN.COM | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, world news, business, sport and multimedia.

Standing proudly in the midst of the Cholistan desert, the Derawar Fort is a famed hallmark of Bahawalpur. From Bahawalpur city, it takes several hours to get to the fort, with the journey being long, tiring and dust laden. But it’s worth the trouble. With the vast Cholistan desert serving as a backdrop, the majestic fort is a sight to behold.

Rai Jajja Bhati, a Hindu Rajput from Jaisalmir, was the first to build a fort on the site. However, the Nawab of Bahawalpur, Sadeq Mohammad Khan I, captured the fort in 1733 and had it rebuilt to how it looks today. The fort was taken away from the Nawab in 1747 but in 1804, Nawab Mubarak Khan reclaimed the fort.

Several archeological sites, some of which date back to the time of the Indus Valley Civilisation, surround the Derawar Fort. These sites have not been excavated yet. The fort itself is badly in need of repair and restoration work. A mosque close by is built on the design of Moti Masjid at Delhi’s Red Fort and offers an interesting contrast.

The fort has remained the set of two popular music videos in Pakistan – the first is Yeh Shaam by The Vital Signs and Shor Macha by Entity Paradigm. – Text and photos by Madeeha Syed

bahawalpur-derawar-fort-1.jpg

bahawalpur-derawar-fort-12.jpg

bahawalpur-derawar-fort-14.jpg

bahawalpur-derawar-fort-15.jpg

thx for sharing. Toursim can be bigg income source for Pakistan and i am not thinking of ppl from foreginers but Pakistanies. What is needed is first some setup to promote it and cheap travel and better security also maintence of these nice places. My heart craies when i see no one is taking care of these great places which are gold.

I would love to visit these places and could take me many many 10+ years maybe to visit most of places in Pakistan. I am in Pakistan mostly every year but only visit my home town and Lahore Islamabad for shopping. And always i enjoy alot...

Back
Top Bottom