What's new

Pakistan's first National Anthem

Prior to "Pak sar zameen" anthem Pakistan used Iqbal's "Bachay ki duaa" as national anthem. Many schools in Punjab province did not accept Persian anthem for a long time and continued with Iqbal's poetry.

"Bachy ki duaa" is not said as an alternative to National Anthum, but combined with that because it is a very good prayer for a young student. In this dua, you ask Allah to bless you with all kinds of wisdom and enlightenment. Every school who uses this dua ends the morning assembly at National Anthum, so it will be a mis-understanding that National Anthem is replaced with "Bachy ki duaa". :no:

^^
As a Pakistani, I could read and understand 98% of National Anthem just because I understand Urdu. "Keshwar-e-Haseen" is probably the only verse that is hard to understand. Other than that, we use all the words in Urdu, in Poetry and even in speaking. Even by Definition, Urdu is the language that has evolved as a result of mixing of multiple languages (Arabic, Persian, Hindi, Pashto, Sindhi and more). How can you say only one word "Ka" is from Urdu and rest is from Persian? When you and I use many words from Persian in Urdu writing, reading and speaking, we dont identify those words as "borrowed from Persian" but as "native Urdu words". It would be unjust if you isolate one "ka" and declare the rest of Anthem as Persian. Was the word "Ka" invented by Urdu speakers in the year 1948? May be it was taken from Hindi so can we say National Anthem is not in our language at all? :no:

Many of us don't know that the Qaumi Tarana written by Ab ul Asr Hafeez Jalandhari was not the first and only National Anthem of Pakistan. I found out about the original one around 5 years back but never got a hold of the complete text, only bits of it. The purpose of sharing this is that I've finally seen the complete text of the poem for the first time.

The story goes like this. Around August 11, 1947 Muhammad Ali Jinnah asked his friend, Jagannath Azad, a renowned poet to pen down Pakistan's first national anthem. Jagannath Azad asked Jinnah for a couple of directions and Jinnah according to some people asked him to write it in praise of the nation's beauty, its people and their struggle. Azad completed the anthem within days and it was used as the national anthem until after the death of Jinnah.

In 1948, a National Anthem Committee was formed by the Legislative Assembly to select a new national anthem for Pakistan. It comprised of Sardar Abdur Rab Nishtar, Ahmed Chagla and Hafeez Jallandhari. Impeding a visit by the Shah of Iran in 1950, Ahmed Chagla’s composition was selected while verses had not been finalized. The anthem as we know it today, was finalized in 1954. Certain people are confused and reject the idea that the tune could have been selected before the verses but this in fact the truth. It was selected in 1950 after Prime Minister Liaquat Ali Khan approved it on August 10, 1950. The verses weren’t selected till 4 years later and the complete anthem was sung on Radio Pakistan for the first time on August 13, 1954 and the MoI announced the official approval on August 16, 1954.

In Azad’s own words, this is the story of the anthem:-
The National anthem was written by me in five days time. It was too short time for me but I tried to do full justice to it keeping in mind the road map charted by Jinnah sahib for modern Pakistan.The national anthem was sent to Jinnah sahib who approved it in a few hours. It was sung for the first time on Pakistan radio, Karachi (which was the capital of Pakistan then). Meanwhile the situation in both east and west Punjab was becoming worse with every passing day and the same set of friends told me in September 1947 that even they would not be able to provide protection to me and that it would be better for me to migrate to India. I decided to migrate to this side. The song written by me continued to be the national anthem for one and a half years.

Dawn had reported this twice in the '90s and once again in 2004. They could only get their hands at the first stanza, which were the verses known to a number of historians. The complete text though has finally been obtained by Beena Sarwar through Azad's son Chander K. Azad who resides in Jammu.

tarana.jpg

A nice enough of translation has been done by her as well:-

O, Land of the Pure

O, Land of the Pure

The grains of your soil are glowing today
Brighter than the stars and the Galaxies
Awe-struck is the enemy by your will-power
Open wounds are sewn, we’ve found a cure
O, Land of the Pure…

New paths of progress, we resolve to tread
Proudly, our nation stands with a high head
Our flag is aflutter above the moon and the stars
As planets look up to us be it Mercury or Mars
No harm will now come from anywhere, for sure
O, Land of the Pure…

The nation has tasted success at last
Now freedom struggle is a thing of the past
The wealth of our country knows no bounds
For us are its benefits and bounty all around
Of East and West, we have no fear
O, Land of the Pure…

Change has become the order of the day
No-one is a slave in the nation today
On the road to progress, we’re swiftly going along
Independent and fortunate, happy as a song
Gloomy winds are gone, sweet freedom’s in the air
O, Land of the Pure…

The grains of your soil are glowing today
Brighter than the stars and the Galaxies​

The renewed interest in the anthem is two fold.

Firstly, the Qaumi Tarana is in Persian and although people know it by heart and understand most of it, an almost foreign language (we share many words that’s why I’m saying almost) is not as appealing as Urdu. The original anthem is in plain and simple Urdu unlike the works of many poets of that day as well.

Secondly, in a time of intolerance and sectarianism haunting us, many people want to celebrate a much more secular history and they want to know why it was not deemed worthy when the founder himself had approved of it? Was it because a Hindu had penned it down? These are tough, complex and unanswerable questions. Hasb e Haal while going through this issue, made a good suggestion that even if we don’t want to replace the anthem, we can at least give it a recognized and exalted status and recover its original recordings besides getting it sung and composed beatifically again.

A little bit about Jagannath Azad:-

He was born in Minawali (or Isakhel) to Tilok Chand Mehroom, a famous poet. He studied at Gordon College Rawalpindi and University of Punjab. He was in Lahore when Jinnah asked him to write the anthem. Azad moved to India later and worked in the Ministry of Food, and the Ministry of Works and Housing. He taught at the University of Jammu and did extensive work in Iqbaliyat. He died on July 24, 2004 at the age of 85.

A 2004 Dawn article by Ashfaque Naqvi beautifully states the following :-
Jagan Nath Azad has been attending mushairas and delivering lectures and has written about most of his foreign trips. However, while writing about Pakistan he never calls it a foreign country. Even Gen. Ziaul Haq told him that he should consider it to be his own country and come here whenever he felt like it. He openly accepts that the reception he receives in Pakistan is totally different from what he experiences in other countries. His love for Pakistan is evident from his verse:

Sham key saey mein Jamna ki ravani dekh kar
Mujhko aey Azad Ravi ka saman yad aa gaya

Jagan Nath Azad has won several awards from Pakistan, India, Russia and other countries. For the naats composed by him, he was given the Seerat-i-Pak Award by Bradford Publications of UK. Not only that, Jagan Nath Azad has written a long poem condemning the destruction of the Babri Mosque. Says he:

Hamarey dil ko tora hey imarat ko nahin tora
Khabasat ki bhi had hoti hey aey had torney waley

The books authored by Jagan Nath Azad include some on literary criticism while about eleven, both in English and Urdu, are on Iqbal. It would be interesting to know that soon after partition, Iqbal was almost banned in India. It was only through the efforts of Jagan Nath Azad that Iqbal is as highly respected there today as Khusrau, Meer or Ghalib. Even in Pakistan, it was Jagan Nath Azad’s whisper into the ears of Gen Ziaul Haq that led to the establishment of the Iqbal Chair in the Punjab University.

Many Indians, like Iqbal Singh and Hira Lal Chopra, have done extensive work on Iqbal. Dr Chaman Lal Raina has gone to the extent of converting his verses into Hindi. On his part, Dr Rafiq Zakaria, former chancellor of the Urdu University in Aligarh, has written a full book under the title, Iqbal: The Poet and the Politician, in which he has expressed surprise why Iqbal is not revered in India.

It goes to the credit of Jagan Nath Azad that he has all along tried to emphasise the fact that great and durable poetry transcends all barriers of caste, creed and colour. Being a humanist, Iqbal’s poetry echoes the sentiments and feelings of humanity at large. There is no denying that he has championed the cause of the exploited and oppressed people of the world.

Here is an obituary:-
Doyen of Urdu, The Milli Gazette, Vol.5 No.16, MG110 (16-31 Aug 04)

and here is an interview shortly before his death:-
My last wish is to write a song of peace for both India & Pakistan: Azad, The Milli Gazette, Vol.5 No.16, MG110 (16-31 Aug 04)

A few pictures of Azad :-

prof-jagan-nath-azad-2.jpg

110_jagannath-azad.jpg

Jagan_Nath_Azad..jpg

Last edited:
thanks Sparklingway i know about this Anthem since past 5-6 years now. I have read this poem before and the story behind changing the national anthem. I am sure many of us does not know that.... good find

Thanks for sharing

i would say Jazak Allah to you my friend for this find.
its a time when we have forgotton our history and sacrifices paid for a nation whom we ask for what has it given to us.

We need more people like you who can revive our history.

thanks
AH

We need more people like you who can revive our history.

All credit goes to Beena Sarwar. I was lazy and did not seek this issue further after coming across this for the first time. She put her effort and brought the poem out of the dustbin of history.

Exceptional piece of work.
Thank you for posting it..

The complete text though has finally been obtained by Beena Sarwar through Azad's son Chander K. Azad who resides in Jammu.
^^ Pay my regards to them.
:pakistan:

I prefer the current National Anthem of Pakistan.

Pāk sarzamīn shād bād
Kishwar-e-hasīn shād bād
Tū nishān-e-`azm-e-`ālīshān
Arz-e-Pākistān!
Markaz-e-yaqīn shād bād

Pāk sarzamīn kā nizām
Qūwat-e-ukhūwat-e-`awām
Qaum, mulk, saltanat
Pā-inda tābinda bād!
Shād bād manzil-e-murād

Parcham-e-sitāra-o-hilāl
Rahbar-e-tarraqqī-o-kamāl
Tarjumān-e-māzī, shān-e-hāl
Jān-e-istiqbāl!
Sāyah-e-Khudā-e-Zū-l-Jalāl

Translation:

Blessed be the sacred land
Happy be the bounteous realm
Symbol of high resolve
Land of Pakistan!
Blessed be thou, citadel of faith

The order of this sacred land
Is the might of the brotherhood of the people
May the nation, the country, and the state
Shine in glory everlasting!
Blessed be the goal of our ambition

This flag of the crescent and star
Leads the way to progress and perfection
Interpreter of our past, glory of our present
Inspiration of our future!
Symbol of the protection of God, Owner of Majesty

Hafeez Jullundhri, author of the Quami Tarana, or Pakistani national anthem

Lyrics: Hafeez Jallundari

Music: Akbar Mohammed, 1950

Adopted: 1954

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew this from last 3-4 years. The main reason behind it was not that the author was Hindu.

How easy target has Islam and Pakistan become where even its own people simply come up bashing it with no sense of reality.

My personal opinion the Persian one is the best one. This version was also good but it reads and sounds like a simple song or poem written in Urdu, and thats what doesn't suite a national anthem.

Take any country they don't have national anthems written in a language close to spoken version.

And Qaid-e-Azam was the one himself who asked for a Urdu speaking Hindu to write national anthem of Pakistan thats y Jaganath was selected for the job.

Here are Qaid's words.

You will find that in the course of time, Hindus will cease to be Hindus and Muslims will cease to be Muslims, not in the religious sense because that is the personal faith of each individual, but in the political sense as citizens of the state.

Prof. Jaganath's in his last interview

I asked my friends why Jinnah Sahib wanted me to write the anthem. They confided in me that “the Quaid wanted the anthem to be written by an Urdu-knowing Hindu.”

Source: http://pakistaniat.com/2009/06/05/jagannath-azad/:pakistan:

The complete verses weren't known back then, only a single stanza was known. Hence I posted it again. The only purpose is to bring this out of the dustbin of history and let it be known to everybody.

The main reason behind it was not that the author was Hindu.

How easy target has Islam and Pakistan become where even its own people simply come up bashing it with no sense of reality.

Nobody here has yet claimed that his religion was the reason. I mentioned it earlier, for some raise this point but nobody has yet raised this issue. Don't put words in my or anybody else's mouth. Be happy that we finally have access to the complete poem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the point about Persian, a friend of mine raised a very interesting and unique point for I had never thought of it in this way :-

A foreign language i.e. Persian might have been chosen due to the impending controversy at that time over the issue of Urdu being declared as the sole national language of the country.. violent riots had taken place in East Pakistan over this issue in early 1950s.. it is thus very likely that the Bengalis might not have been in ... See Moreover of an Urdu anthem being imposed on them (the West Pakistanis would not have liked an anthem in Bengali either).. Bengali was foreign to the western wing, Urdu to the eastern.. so they might have been forced to have an anthem in language which would have been foreign to both!

As far as I see it, Persian was the noble and royal language. The language of the royal courts and it had an exalted status, far above Urdu and Bengali. This might have been the reason for the anthem being written in Persian but the point stated above is entirely valid.

Last edited:
About the author of the current national anthem of Pakistan.

175px-Hafeez_Jullundhri.jpg

Abu-Al-Asar Hafeez Jalandhuri (Urdu: ابو الاثر حفیظ جالندھری) writer, poet and above all composer of the National Anthem of Pakistan[1]. He was born in Jalandhar, Punjab, India on January 14, 1900. After independence of Pakistan in 1947, Hafeez Jullundhri moved to Lahore. Hafeez made up for the lack of formal education with self-study but he has the privilege to have some advise from the great Persian poet Maulana Ghulam Qadir Bilgrami. His dedication, hard work and advise from such a learned person carved his place in poetic pantheon.

Hafeez Jullandhuri actively participated in Pakistan Movement and used his writings to propagate for the cause of Pakistan. In early 1948, he joined the forces for the freedom of Kashmir and got wounded. Hafeez Jalandhari wrote the Kashmiri Anthem, "Watan Hamara Azad Kashmir". He wrote many patriotic songs during Pakistan, India war in 1965.

Hafeez Jullandhuri served as Director General of morals in Pakistan Armed Forces, and very prominent position as adviser to the President, Field Marshal Mohammad Ayub Khan and also Director of Writer's Guild.

For more about this great patriotic Pakistani, keep reading:
Hafeez Jullundhri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Sparklingway, do you happen to have a video of this poem being sung? I would be interested to see how it was, just out of curiosity.

@Omar: I really liked your anthem, it has the grandeur one expects from national anthems.

This was really good to know. I was pleasantly surprised when I first discovered that one of my favorite songs "Saare Jahaan se accha" was written by Allama Iqbal. One of the most patriotic songs I have ever heard, and I am glad we are taught the song in all Indian schools. I don't want to derail the thread, but I like one line he (ironically) wrote: Mazhab nahin sikhata aapas mein bair rakhna...

Back
Top Bottom