What's new

Pakistan’s Failure in Applied Science Domain

Not helped by the fact that we have excelled at applied "retarded low IQ Mullahism".
Mainly due to the fact that the many 'High IQ Mullahs' were martyred in the War of Independence or exiled. Those that survived, had to bite their tongues.

Mainly due to the fact that the many 'High IQ Mullahs' were martyred in the War of Independence or exiled. Those that survived, had to bite their tongues.

I was talking about the current ones. Not the Martyrs from 1947.

Excellent thought piece!

Very early in its existence, the United States instituted a patent system. The first US patent was issued in 1790, just one year after the US Constitution was ratified. Now, granted Pakistan does not have the internal market that the USA possessed in 1790, relative to world commercial potential, but still, the US patent system was instrumental in the take-off of US technology. Pakistan needs to have a national patent system that allows Pakistani inventors to develop and protect their inventions in the world market. This means Pakistan would need to have a strong relationship with the World Intellectual Property Organization and Pakistani inventors would need to file their inventions both in Pakistan and with the WIPO. No start-up inventors or entrepreneurs could survive without patent protection.
It's probably best to keep your idea secret,push to market before anyone else and make your money and not bother with the patent.

I will speak for partly or wholly an open source application of ideas.

For example, a computer file that can be downloaded free of cost into a neighborhood-level 3D Printer and some mechanical item produced.

In my own case in designing my microprocessor and operating system I have followed the open source path but them being used in my plan for a wearable computer that computer will be priced.

Other open source items can be medicines and space engines.

I will speak for partly or wholly an open source application of ideas.

For example, a computer file that can be downloaded free of cost into a neighborhood-level 3D Printer and some mechanical item produced.

In my own case in designing my microprocessor and operating system I have followed the open source path but them being used in my plan for a wearable computer that computer will be priced.

Other open source items can be medicines and space engines.

How did you design your microprocessor and how many data and address lines does it have?

How did you design your microprocessor and how many data and address lines does it have?

At the moment I am designing / specifying the instruction set and the OS system calls. But since the idea is for a clock-less processor there can be perhaps a write command line, read command line, an acknowledgement line and a combined address / data line. I think I have to somehow work around the synchronous nature of DDR RAM chips.

Last edited:
At the moment I am designing / specifying the instruction set and the OS system calls. But since the idea is for a clock-less processor there can be perhaps a write command line, read command line, an acknowledgement line and a combined address / data line. I think I have to somehow work around the synchronous nature of DDR RAM chips.

clockless mpu that would be interesting, designing from scratch even more. So you are going to use discrete components or get it fabricated ? Clockless means you will need some asynchronous execution of the microcode which then means all your logic devices need to by designed around it.

clockless mpu that would be interesting, designing from scratch even more. So you are going to use discrete components or get it fabricated ? Clockless means you will need some asynchronous execution of the microcode which then means all your logic devices need to by designed around it.

Microcode ? You mean the machine code ?

I have a complaint about you folks. It is this.

Rationalization cannot exist without free thinking,
It is not a case of Pakistan but that of each and every Islamic country that free thinking is persecuted.
Going through the history pages, one may want to compare the case of Ghazali Vs Ibn Rushd ;
and Martin Luther vs the Church.

The moment western society was freed from church's clutches, there was no end to progress.

For many people who are asked about their career choices they are driven by the desire of their Parents to study something which will yield a “Job” so the person can make a transition into a married comfortable life.

Ah, the desi life of voluntary middle class poverty where nobody has to think much because thinking, ideating takes effort. Whether Pakistan or India both are in the same boat of not contributing to humanity for the last 75 years.

There are not many people who claim they want to get educated in order to “Invent” or “to create”. For most the high cost of invention realization into reality is a factor which stops them from inventing or applying their education towards an application of idea.

Well, it neither takes high cost to invent or innovate nor does it take some PhD or even a college degree. I don't have a degree, having dropped out in class 12, yet I am quite good in achievement in computing and quite good in ideas in political science and socio-economics. I wrote a simple operating system by first learning x86 assembly using a book and on a regular PC and wrote the OS on the same PC by myself. It neither took me millions nor a team of 40. However, it is to be noted that in desi culture it is the family that is to the first one not to support someone of an inventive mind. Not support in finance primarily ( since ours are Capitalist societies ) and not support in encouragement. The person is much troubled for years, for the duration he or she takes to get through the idea from something in the mind, then a diagram on paper, text on the computer and the various further innovations and simplifications. Desi societies are extremely religious, believe in magic, that something will appear in front of them or in their lives though it never happened. They won't understand that creation of an invention is a time-taking sleep-depriving process of ideation, learning and unlearning where ideas come sometimes continuously and sometimes there's a writer's block. That there's no divine magic but that the real magic is the Nature-provided uncovering of ideas. This is why desi society fails and does not contribute.

Rationalization cannot exist without free thinking,
It is not a case of Pakistan but that of each and every Islamic country that free thinking is persecuted.
Going through the history pages, one may want to compare the case of Ghazali Vs Ibn Rushd ;
and Martin Luther vs the Church.

The moment western society was freed from church's clutches, there was no end to progress.

Agreed. Please see my post just above to you. And in today's India the Muslims unfortunately are not being led by intellectuals but by mobs who paste banners saying "Pehle hijab, phir kitaab" ignoring, being the mindless mobs that they are, that the first Muslim that these people claim to follow, he had said contradicting them that the Muslim has the duty to obtain knowledge even if he or she has to go as far as China. These particular Indian Muslims are like the Taliban under whose rule there will be no intellectual achievement in eternity.

Pakistan and On Going Challenges

Topic: Pakistan’s Faliure in Applied Science Domain

By AzadPakistan2009

o-INTERNATIONAL-BUSINESS-facebook.jpg

There was a time when people imagined the world and they rationalized it with stories of magic and conjurers. In addition to the evolution of society the people started to gather together to rationalize the world around humans. Also with the culture of awakening of mind , people started to observe the world around them and they started to study it with great interest. First there were philosophical studies and later on a branch emerged which focused on None Philosophical Approach for defining the world around us , by rationalization and meaning. They called it “Science” a study of world around us with experimentalism and proof of concept. Applied Science in simple terms the application of theory aspect and a practical application of scientific concept which is theorized. Pakistan has fallen behind the world considerably when it comes to Applied Science, not by choice by due to bad national policies and lack of protection of its local Industries.

Pakistan is almost 73 years old as a nation, and if we observe each of the decades Pakistan has considerably been behind the world in adoption of Technology. Countries such as USA and Europe were building mechanical engines and setting up massive sky scrapers since early 1900’s. All of these advancements were possible due to few main reasons firstly manpower then strong scientific base and solid interest for applying concepts towards application. People such as John D. Rockefeller (1839-1937) were willing to invest money into ventures such as Oil exploration, while entrepreneurs such as Ford ventured off to setup manufacturing of engine [ii] and The Wright brothers – Orville and Wilbur in December 17, 1903 created first machine to fly above the ground. Pakistan unlike many examples of the world has traditionally opted to buy it’s technology and inventors are never fully appreciated and cherished for their creativity and ingenuity. Why is it that Pakistan has yet to produce an inventor or research who is credited with a discovery of unique invention. The idea of Pakistani inventing something new, confuses many Pakistanis, whose first remark is always a sense of disbelief. This is swiftly followed by a joke that this can’t possibly be true. We can ask ourselves that: "Where are these Pakistani investors who are willing to invest in a new idea or to be the first to bring a new product to the market which is not yet available in World ?"

If we review back to 60’s and 70’s Pakistan clearly missed the electronic revolution, while Pakistan had a fantastic emerging educated class, yet still they failed to capitalize on the Laborer force’s potential to dominate the electronic segment. In the 80’s an 90’s Pakistan missed out on the Computer Hardware and Computer manufacturing segment , it can be argued that yes not many people understood what computers were however USA have been using Computers since Moon Missions [iii]. Similarly Pakistan was just too late to understand the importance of Computer Chip manufacturing and Electronic gadget craze of 00’s and present. Pakistan’s education system has taught the theoretical aspect of a concept to students over generation but the mechanism does not exists to fully push the student to “create” a new product which is based on the principles learned in universities and schools. Furthermore, there is a lack of industrialization of the concepts.

For Pakistan it has not been helpful that majority of the country’s population is working in Farm Lands , and many a high % does not gets formally education in schools. UNESCO estimates the figure to be around 60% literacy rate [iv] . Due to majority of population working in farms or not valuing education , not enough people are available to research, as many who graduate opt to target becoming Doctors, Engineers or Software Programmers. The remaining educated class focuses on Service sector such as banking or financial segment or Telecommunication. For many people who are asked about their career choices they are driven by the desire of their Parents to study something which will yield a “Job” so the person can make a transition into a married comfortable life. There are not many people who claim they want to get educated in order to “Invent” or “to create”. For most the high cost of invention realization into reality is a factor which stops them from inventing or applying their education towards an application of idea.

Government of Pakistan of course does not have any major programs to promote a massive push towards creating industries with “New” products or technology. The banks are always reluctant to invest in unproven people coming out of university, so there is a general air of mistrust. You have to put your home or property as a "Collateral" in order to secure a business loan. Long story short , the lack of financing needed to help mature a business does not exist in Pakistan. Financing is never an issue for big politicians or people with contacts in Political position. However that benefit does not exists for the everyday Pakistani. That is why we don’t see a Pakistani entrepreneur taking over the market, locally or globally. Availability of financing to youth and young businessmen investing in scientific products is vital in order to promote an environment which helps or nurtures for application of science. Many of the Pakistani government's initiatives are focused on farmers' to attain a tractor or farming equipment or fertilizers. There is lack of strategy in order to incubate Business which focuses on researching in the applied science arena.

Pakistan needs to allocate % of their GDP towards growth of individual businesses with financial incentive at early stage and and then follow up financing for continued growth phases for a new organization. Regardless of profits or loss margin, the continued sustained investment is needed in order to build up Applied Science segment, in various fields of society. The mentality needs to shift away from thinking that the businessman will run away with money but trust needs to be constructed so financing is available for Young Businessman to setup and environment where young researchers can implement concept of science.

Reference:
i https://www.history.com/topics/early-20th-century-us/john-d-rockefeller

[ii] https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/henry-ford

[iii] https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/07/underappreciated-power-apollo-computer/594121/

[iv] http://uis.unesco.org/en/country/pk

Disclaimer:
Here is an article from our contestant AzadPakistani. The article another entry for BWC 2020. The article does not represent any views of Pakistan Defence management.
The article may have citations or op-ed. The Pakistan defence is not responsible for any of the citation flaws or reference crisis (if any).In addition to that we are not responsible for copy rights of any image of conflicting points mentioned/used/described/defined by contestant in his entry.

Note: The contestant was clearly told in the beginning of the contest about our strict terms and policies.

Regards
Pakistan Defence Official

@Slav Defence or @webaster or @Horus or @WAJsal or @Irfan Baloch
Nice article, but I think it is a bit unfair.

Because countries like USA and Japan had more time to develop their societies.

USA is a 250 year old empire. Pakistan is just a 73 year old country.
Also the West had the industrial revolution, when Pakistanis were under the yoke of colonialism.

The West had more time to industrialize and develop their economies.

You did not take these things into account.

Nice article, but I think it is a bit unfair.

Because countries like USA and Japan had more time to develop their societies.

Also the West had the industrial revolution, when Pakistanis were under the yoke of colonialism.

The West had more time to industrialize and develop their economies.

You did not take these things into account.

Well to put it simply , Japan was destroyed nation post world war
They had a proxy government

Pakistan vs Japan
1945 Japan took 2 Nuclear Bombs had two cities destroyed
1945/1947 a difference of mere two years between Japan and Pakistan
In 1965 , Pakistani Universities were leading Asian Education Institutes

Pakistan vs Korea
Korea was impacted by World War 2
1950-1953 Korea had war (Civil War with North Koreans)
Due to these reasons they had poverty
Koreans sent delegates to understand how Pakistani factories and Education system is modeled

Pakistan's Turning point was 1967 Palestine-Israeli War after which Pakistan got sanctioned

Then War started in Afghanistan (30-40 years disturbances)

Pakistani Society was well developed in 1970

Between 1977-1999 Pakistan while was under influence of War in Afghanistan stuck in cold war still have a vibrant , Universities and Education system thus our Human Resources went to Middle East , and our brightest minds went and Constructed Saudia/UAE/Qatar/Kuwait with our hands

The Banking Sector also suffered some setbacks in Europe as they were kicked out of European markets or severely hampered and that is true also in USA

The banking sector did not recover until 1999 when Honorable Musharraf sahib introduced new reforms to steady the Banking Sector in Pakistan

You see Pakistan still produced , great minds between 1970 and 2018 but they had been used mostly used overseas the local Industry , could not influx finding to create Jobs to match the Minds we were producing , STATE of Pakistan lagged behind planning how to use these first class Talent we produced

1- We lagged behind in Electronics sector as it was mostly imported
2- We missed the PC/Computer era
3- We missed the Auto Mobile base factory stage , yes some companies existed
in 70's but they were closed down
4- The local Industry was sold to Suzuki

Pakistan's focus has been we grow crops we make money
Pakistan's focus has been we export Textiles and fruit

The governments did not had any vision

Korean companies like Kia , Hyundai etc. all came recently beyond year 2000

Anything Musharraf created between 1999-2008 was wiped clean by decade of Darkness between 2008-2018 (PPP and PML governments)

Last edited:

75, not 73. And 75 years is a long long time for a country to develop. In 2022 Pakistan has a potential workforce of at least 180 million. Is that not enough ? You are using the same excuse that Hindutvadi Indians use as excuse for India's non-development. The USSR sent the first human into space just 39 years after its establishment and that too after being through a world war in the middle. Why hasn't Pakistani been able to send a single human into space in 36 extra years ? If Pakistan had not had mullah-aligned governments like Zia ul Haq's who told his irrational followers to harvest jinn power and other such things then Pakistan would have developed too. The only way for Pakistan to develop is radical, revolutionary change in the political system else Pakistan will forever remain a user of things produced by others and not a contributor in technology and ideas whether to humanity or within its own society.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom