What's new

Pakistan's Defence imports

Sunil

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Can US put pressure on any country regarding exports of military hardware to Pakistan, specially on China.

Some countries including allies yes definitely, US can pressurise them not to sell weapons to Pakistan or to any country.
But China and France don't fall in that catagory and will do business with Pakistan as the history has shown.

Btw, whats the purpose of this thread? Why would USA want to block weapon deals with Pakistan?

Please elaborate.

If US has the power to force other countries to fight along side with them in Iraq & Afghanistan then I'm sure they can stop countries from selling military hardware to Pakistan as well.

Let's just assume that Pakistan has $$$ to purchase one of the most lethal and expensive weapons there are then ofcourse US would be against that. Russia doesn't have any defence relations with Pak not because of US pressure but because Soviet-Afghan war.

Btw, I understand China but why France doesn't fall in the category.

If US has the power to force other countries to fight along side with them in Iraq & Afghanistan then I'm sure they can stop countries from selling military hardware to Pakistan as well.

Let's just assume that Pakistan has $$$ to purchase one of the most lethal and expensive weapons there are then ofcourse US would be against that. Russia doesn't have any defence relations with Pak not because of US pressure but because Soviet-Afghan war.

Sunil;young sir
plz pay attention to the question asked by NEO!:angry:
whats the purpose of this thread? Why would USA want to block weapon deals with Pakistan?
&
Please elaborate.

Ok let's just say that if Pakistan did not side with US in WOT then would US have the power to block any military hardware to your country.

Sunil why are u not responding to Neo's question ?? second why is it itching u that Pakistan is importing wepons??

if you rember in 90s france sale us agusta subs and much more when usa stop them but they ignore usa and sale us .

and please be real not an tipical indian USA never sideline us ever.they can't afford to stop all equpment to pak .when last time they fully close our militry harwere?.and abut russia you forget our 86mi 17 and jf-17 engenes?every country need export there arms not for india russia stop sale us but we also never give russia warm welcome in defence.our all doors are open until today.we can buy from every were i think until now you never see my link abut US ARM SALE DEALS NOTIFICATION.in 2003 usa never sale a single arm to india but we get 30 hellycopters and much more.see in 2003 all muslim nations will get hardwere .its money talking metter baby if today some one stop india for arms sale india will stop??????????? no way every nation need $$$$.and remember last 5 years we take much more russian hardwere guns hellyes jet engines.

and if you also rember india crying much more on RD93 but we get already 100 from russia so please end this film here.

Last edited:
Can US put pressure on any country regarding exports of military hardware to Pakistan, specially on China.

Isn't this question premature considering the US is as of yet not blocking her own weapons sales to Pakistan?

The Block 52's are arguably the most advanced weapon system Pakistan will have for the near future, so wouldn't that be a good place to start with restrictions on defence exports to Pakistan?

I feel Sunil wants to assure that US should block and also facilitate blocking weapons’ sale by China to Pakistan in wake of Indian attack leaving Pakistan vulnerable to more damage.

Please answer my question:
Btw, whats the purpose of this thread? Why would USA want to block weapon deals with Pakistan?

As to why the US isn't doing any of this, especially with her own defence exports, I do not believe she is convinced that Pakistan - her government, her Army or her intelligence agencies - are institutionally involved in promoting terrorism, nor does it have any credible evidence indicating the above.

There is concern that elements within Pakistani institutions have not completely detached themselves from suspect organizations, but that is not reason enough to destroy a relationship that, albeit stuttering and growing slowly, is key to strengthening the actions against terrorism in the region as well as ensuring a stable and vibrant Pakistan that denies extremists space to function.

If I understand you correctly, I'd say yes, US has put presure on China.

If I recall correctly a sanction was nearly imposed on Chinese companies on exporting of ring magnets to Pakistan. But, quite often, China has lots leverages to defuse the pressure.

The following is an intereting excerpt. The leverage involved per issue is a huge commercial transaction. Other leverages, which are big to US, include NK issues, Burma issues, UNSC capability, ...

In February 1996, the Washington Times, quoting intelligence sources, reported that the US had evidence that CNNC sold 5,000 ring magnets to the A Q Khan Research Laboratory in Pakistan, named after the putative "father" of Pakistan's nuclear bomb who was pardoned in February 2004 after confessing to nuclear-weapons deals with Iran, Libya and North Korea. Ring magnets are critical parts of high-speed centrifuges used to enrich uranium to weapons grade. After equivocating for a while, the US State Department officially confirmed the report. Chinese vice foreign minister Li Zhaoxing (now foreign minister) did not deny the sale but argued that it was "peaceful nuclear cooperation". Many experts, however, called the sale a clear breach of Article III (2) of the NPT. Since China had formally become a signatory to the NPT by that time, non-proliferation advocates and US lawmakers called for stringent sanctions on China.

However, it soon became clear that tough sanctions were never in the cards. A broad-based sanctions regime would have resulted in the cancellation or blocking of massive deals involving US corporate giants such as Boeing Aircraft Co and Westinghouse (which had pending deals with CNNC at that time). There was intense debate within the administration of US president Bill Clinton. After a few more months of waffling, the State Department finally announced on May 10, 1996, that the US had been unable to "make a determination" that China violated the NPT with this ring-magnet deal. As a result, the Clinton administration declared that it would not seek to impose sanctions on China or Pakistan, and Ex-Im's considerations of loans for US exporters to China were returned to normal.

Ring magnets are old news but the entities that authorized the sale are still powerful. Chinese leaders insisted they were not aware of the magnet transfer and stated that there is no evidence that the Chinese government had "willfully aided or abetted" Pakistan's nuclear-weapons program through the ring-magnet sale. They also touted an apparent "concession" by China when a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman made a statement that "China will not provide assistance to unsafeguarded nuclear facilities".

The US Congress passed a law closing the apparent loophole of requiring proof of willful government involvement and also requiring a presidential report on China's transfers of "technology, equipment, or materials important to the production of nuclear weapons and their means of delivery" to Pakistan.

What is new is the expected financing of a Chinese entity, CNNC, owner of CNEIC, which is known to have passed nuclear technology on to states that should not possess it.

China did not wait too long to violate its May 1996 pledge. In October 1996, the Washington Times quoted a report by the US Central Intelligence Agency stating that China sold a "special industrial furnace" and "high-tech diagnostic equipment" to unsafeguarded nuclear facilities in Pakistan. In addition, Chinese technicians in Pakistan reportedly prepared to install the dual-use equipment in September 1996. The firm involved in the deal was the CNEIC. The Washington Post reported that the CNEIC equipment was intended for a nuclear reactor being built by Pakistan at Khushab. The Khushab facility is not under IAEA safeguards, thereby making the Chinese sale a clear violation of May 1996 pledge, US laws and possibly the NPT. It later became known that the Khushab facility was the site of a heavy-water research reactor - a central element of Pakistan's program for production of plutonium and tritium for advanced compact nuclear warheads meant for ballistic missiles.

Still, the State Department did not conclude that China had violated its non-proliferation pledges of 1996 in the case of Pakistan and did not call for sanctions.

The Khushab reactor now provides Pakistan the ability to produce enough plutonium to fabricate as many as three to five bombs every year. CNNC and CNEIC have also been implicated in nuclear weapons-related sales to Iran since then. Not long after the Khushab revelation, Ex-Im approved two loans to help CNNC build nuclear power plants at the Qinshan nuclear facility near Shanghai. US major Bechtel was the primary beneficiary of that deal.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/GC11Ad05.html

If you are interested, you may read the whole story. Hopefully It won't disappoint you.

Ok let's just say that if Pakistan did not side with US in WOT then would US have the power to block any military hardware to your country.

It depends which country you are talking about. If Pakistan is purchasing military equipment from Germany or Britian, the US definitely has the power to stop that deal. Recently Pakistan purchased 100 missiles from Brazil, the US also has the power to stop that deal too. But if Pakistan is buying advanced weapons from China or France, the US really does not has much leverage over these matters. As far as buying lethal weapons are concerned, the Chinese are helping us build 2 or 3 new nuclear power plants and the US wasnt happy about it. The Chinese gave the Americans the finger and there was pretty much nothing the US could do.

Back
Top Bottom