What's new

Pakistan's Declining Economy Since 2008

In addition to multi-billion dollar auto manufacturing business, Pakistan's auto parts industry is a billion US dollars a year industry. Sixty percent of its output goes to the motor cycle industry, 22% is for cars, and the rest is consumed by trucks, buses & tractors.

Pakistan has the distinction having the largest number of vehicles using cng and world's largest number of cng stations in the world. The cng kits are made in Pakistan for both domestic use and export.

Haq's Musings: Auto Industry Prospects in India and Pakistan

Following is a list of Top 10 countires of the world in terms of number of CNG vehicles on their roads. The number in parenthesis show number of CNG refuelling stations in those countries.

1. Pakistan: 2,191,000 (2941)
2. Argentina: 1,745,677 (1801)
3. Brazil: 1,588,331 (1688)
4. Iran: 1,000,000 (500)
5. India: 650,000 (463)
6. Italy: 580,000 (700)
7. China: 400,000 (1000)
8. Columbia: 280,340 (401)
9. Bangladesh: 150,253 (337)
10. Thailand: 127,735 (303)

http://pakistaniat.com/2009/07/14/pakistan-cng/

Great to know that Pakistan is heavily using this cleaner fuel.. Good going...Is there a similar number for total vehicles and total fuel stations??

Great to know that Pakistan is heavily using this cleaner fuel.. Good going...Is there a similar number for total vehicles and total fuel stations??

The Planning Commission proposed introduction of ethanol in 1992. As an agro focused economy, we too have a hige potential for ethanol. The automobile industry in Pakistan is hardly a mature one and resisted every effort in the promotion of ethanol as a fuel, which would have forced them to introduce newer engines. CNG filled in the position for that (although it had been used in South Punjab previously).

The Iran gas pipeline will solve the problem of gas consumption otherwise we're running out of reserves in the middle of the next decade.

The Planning Commission proposed introduction of ethanol in 1992. As an agro focused economy, we too have a hige potential for ethanol. The automobile industry in Pakistan is hardly a mature one and resisted every effort in the promotion of ethanol as a fuel, which would have forced them to introduce newer engines. CNG filled in the position for that (although it had been used in South Punjab previously).

The Iran gas pipeline will solve the problem of gas consumption otherwise we're running out of reserves in the middle of the next decade.

I am not sure if ethanol is the right answer. There are a number of issues being seen in the US with overall costs of use and impact on food supplies.

As to gas shortage, Hagler Bailly, a global management consulting firm with an office in Islamabad, warned in a 2006 study that Pakistan is going to witness gas shortage starting in 2007, and the imbalance will grow every year to cripple the economy by 2025, when shortage will be 11,092 MMCFD (Million standard cubic feet per day) against total 13,259 MMCFD production. The Hagler Bailly report added that Pakistan's gas shortage would get much worse in the next two decades if it did not manage any alternative sources. It appears that we are seeing the beginning of the crisis that HB predicted back in 2006.

The current completion date for Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project is June, 2014, if things go smoothly. There is significant investor interest. Russia's Gazprom is very keen on the project. "We are ready to join the project as soon as we receive an offer," Russia's deputy energy minister Anatoly Yankovsky has been quoted as saying by the media. Another top Russian government official has said Moscow sees the pipeline as a means to divert Iranian gas from competing with Russian exports on the European market.

Haq's Musings: Pakistan's Twin Energy Shortages of Gas and Electricity

@ Trisonics, It stays your opinion; only empirical data and numbers prove the fact. Otherwise here is no sense of their existance. We have been poisoned by continuous feeding of international media; and culturan influence that "Democracy is BEST!" how many countries could successfully make it work; it has few pre-requisites. It requires one dictator style leader to FIRST lay down rules; provide its basis and then get it work. India has been fortunate enough to be equipped with Mr. Nehru; that we lacked; NO! key leader survived who could govern Pk for several decades.

- Nehru

- Mao

both governed their countries for several decades; I believe in Pakistan we require Miltary rule for about 20 to 30 years. Then establish strong democracy; as by that time one generation will grow in controlled environment and target needs to be elivating literacy, more importantly (Intellect); Plus Land reforms are vital. And feudal's hold like Bugti needs to be reduced. Otherwise in Pakistan; here is NO! difference between democracy and feudalism.

There are so many people not able to identify whats good/bad for them.

PLUS!

Army took over, whenever country was at verge of destruction.

i.e. Last time Gen. Pervez took over; we were about to be bankrupt.

If someone finds soft corner; its with reason that people living DAM! care about who is governing; they are more concerned about their quality of life; which indeed is at least 2x better in miltary rule.

Democracy within an year results in:

- Uncontrolled Corruption
- Gang Wars
- Getting to verge of Civil War
- Poor/Almost NO! Administration
- Political Disharmonoy
- Extreme downturn in economy

People who say "figures look nice on the papers, but they have little if any relevance with the facts on the ground."

I can only say onething; please kill all scientist, researchers, believer of empirical data that dominates world of argument.

Put all people who developed SI units to HELL!

In simple words, keep believing that your car is going VERY! fast, as you have windscreen broken; and bonnect not placed too. Sound and Wind will make you feel like fast; instead of getting to Standard Unit (Km/h) or MPH, saying that you are moving with 60km/h either its fast or not. Other's person call.

Same we try to condem people quoting true figures and logical argument. If Figures have NO! role; then its just game of personal opinion.

If all figures quoted cannot be considered ligitimate because :) 91% are not paying taxes. Than this 91% in itself is not valid figure; (Contradictry Premisis) logical fallacy.

(household earning less than US$200) or all figures are WRONG! and I can say in my opinion everyone is earning Three Trillion :) During Democracy; as all figures are meaningless :)

We need not to bring India in everything; It was done by Riaz, as it has been argued that Pakistan's economy flourished in dictatorship.

Thumbs up to "sparklingway" for providing argument at least; but can we some how compare

- Crime Rate
- Number of universities
- NRU (Natural Rate of Unemployment)
- POWER? I never observed any problem During last rule. (They were able to manage, Thermal power in Economic Circular flow)
- Fuel Shortage (CNG)

All these concerns, requires attention too. PLUS! discussion has been well; that aid does not only serves the purpose... bottom line is...

Is he better than democratic Government? YES!

WHY?

FOr whatever reason, all variables measuring well being supports.

He could be better? YES!

This yes will become for EVERYONE! except, Prophets or Renowned leaders.

I am not saying that Mush was "Great Leader", He was better, and he is Better than "All available options".

I have already wasted about 1 hour reading :)

So I may not come back to this forum; but i have tried to compile some data; you may find differences. Sources are:

- Labour force servey of Pakistan by FedERul Bureau Staistics
- Labour force servey of Pakistan 1999-2000
- Economic servey of Pakistan 2005-2006
- IMF Public Data
- Pakistan Economic Performance 1947 to 1993 by Sure Publishers
- Federal Bureau of Statistic
- Planing and Development Division
- State Bank of Pakistan

//docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5Nq9MwYW-2ZjA1ODg5OTMtOGUxYS00ZGYzLWI2MzAtMmM3OTIxYTJkMzBh&hl=en

With Circles mentioning governments:
docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw5Nq9MwYW-2YjhiM2U0MGYtNTNkZS00ODZhLTg1NmMtMTJmNzlmODc0ZDhk&hl=en

with %age increase you know; if last year is in dip; next year is likely to show hype, You may compare Pk, with World using Google Public data; but let me assure you. Here is NO! poor thing like 1% and 2% GDP in any of Army Rule. Economy obviously follow global trend too; not denying; but how much impact? That needs to be seen to.

Back
Top Bottom