What's new

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions

Pakistani artillery especially and they are fond of it as well
First time I'm hearing about it. Soviets were extremely aggressive in their use of artillery in direct-fire.
Neither US or British are fond of such use of artillery, an organic development of tactics in Pakistan army.
Wondering what are the basic philosophy and tactics on how arty is used by our army

I think our artillery procurement plans are on the same page as our Rifle replacement program,Time wasted yet nothing has been finalized what a joke.

I think our artillery procurement plans are on the same page as our Rifle replacement program,Time wasted yet nothing has been finalized what a joke.
The first trials didn’t prove satisfactory that’s why, PA added new requirements to the second trials and made them much stricter, second trials started not more than a month ago. It does take time, so give it some time. It will come. We can’t buy 6 things at once either, money has to be considered.

First time I'm hearing about it. Soviets were extremely aggressive in their use of artillery in direct-fire.
Neither US or British are fond of such use of artillery, an organic development of tactics in Pakistan army.
Wondering what are the basic philosophy and tactics on how arty is used by our army

Artillery in direct fire was employed and mastered first by the German Wehrmacht against the Soviet mass attacks of Tank during operation Barbarossa.

Artillery in direct fire was employed and mastered first by the German Wehrmacht against the Soviet mass attacks of Tank during operation Barbarossa.
Soviets had integrated the idea of direct fire even before Barbarossa or WW2 all the way from company level to divisional level.
Germans only realized effectiveness of direct fire during campaign against the Czech tank and later on the more Armored French tank. They realized after these campaigns of the effectiveness of artillery against tanks. That is the reason they started to put more and more heavier guns on the older panzer I and II chasis. Those were sporadic use and you are right that they mastered the working against the USSR.

1627988092952.png

Soviets had integrated the idea of direct fire even before Barbarossa or WW2 all the way from company level to divisional level.
Germans only realized effectiveness of direct fire during campaign against the Czech tank and later on the more Armored French tank. They realized after these campaigns of the effectiveness of artillery against tanks. That is the reason they started to put more and more heavier guns on the older panzer I and II chasis. Those were sporadic use and you are right that they mastered the working against the USSR.
It was Rommel who first used the Flak 88mm anti-aircraft guns as anti-tank weapons in Arras,France against the English tanks. It was the the last major counter attack by the allies in Western Europe during the invasion of France. The plan of the allies was to attack at the over extended and vulnerable flanks of German forces (especially Rommel's 7th panzer division). The brits were to attack from north while the French from south to form a pincer, but French weakened couldn't muster up the forces and were unable to reach in time. The Allied tank force was reduced to more than half due to French absence and they had only 88 Matilda tanks. Running out of time, the brits decided to commit this outnumbered outfit. The Matilda tank had a frontal armour of 78 mm, impenetrable to all German weapons. The British tanks kept advancing against the German positions and the situation became so dire that Rommel himself had to rush there to take command. Seeing the futility of the German AT weapons he ordered the AA guns to fire at the Matilda. The Flaks were able to penetrate the Matilda's armour easily and the day was saved. Had the Brits infantry support or French tanks the German offensive mihht had been rolled back.
Rommel employed this tactic in North Africa as well. He used his tanks to lure the enemy armour into the trap laid by infantry with 88mm flaks. As much as people adore Rommel for his armoured tactics he should be credited more for the way in which he used his tanks and Infantry i.e combined arms warfare.

I have allready said that direct-fire of M109s in those hedge houses/buildings of Urban places makes a diference. Its Portuguese Standard Operation Procedure in Mech formations.
There you will blow those traaps, and kill those snipers, MGs, nests, ATGMs that make your first casualties on Urban assault.
The morale diference its huge.

It was Rommel who first used the Flak 88mm anti-aircraft guns as anti-tank weapons in Arras,France against the English tanks. It was the the last major counter attack by the allies in Western Europe during the invasion of France. The plan of the allies was to attack at the over extended and vulnerable flanks of German forces (especially Rommel's 7th panzer division). The brits were to attack from north while the French from south to form a pincer, but French weakened couldn't muster up the forces and were unable to reach in time. The Allied tank force was reduced to more than half due to French absence and they had only 88 Matilda tanks. Running out of time, the brits decided to commit this outnumbered outfit. The Matilda tank had a frontal armour of 78 mm, impenetrable to all German weapons. The British tanks kept advancing against the German positions and the situation became so dire that Rommel himself had to rush there to take command. Seeing the futility of the German AT weapons he ordered the AA guns to fire at the Matilda. The Flaks were able to penetrate the Matilda's armour easily and the day was saved. Had the Brits infantry support or French tanks the German offensive mihht had been rolled back.
Rommel employed this tactic in North Africa as well. He used his tanks to lure the enemy armour into the trap laid by infantry with 88mm flaks. As much as people adore Rommel for his armoured tactics he should be credited more for the way in which he used his tanks and Infantry i.e combined arms warfare.

Where you read that ? Book or digital Media ? Just asking, because when I was younger I had to read everything from books, internet was not available and established like now, for pakdefence, I had to go library to get access for 1 hour free Internet.

Where you read that ? Book or digital Media ? Just asking, because when I was younger I had to read everything from books, internet was not available and established like now, for pakdefence, I had to go library to get access for 1 hour free Internet.
Sir it is part of my interest so there is no particular source. I use books, internet,pdfs and documentaries
Btw I also have the pdf of the Rommel Papers, Manstein's lost Victories and Guderian Panzer Leader and other books if you or someone else wants.

Last edited:
Sir it is part of my interest so there is no particular source. I use books, internet,pdfs and documentaries
Btw I also have the pdf of the Rommel Papers, Manstein's lost Victories and Guderian Panzer Leader and other books if you or someone else wants.
Someone should create a thread to bring together all of these resources so that other user could learn from them

Back
Top Bottom