What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Did PAF actually receive 4 erieye back in the days?
As far as I remember the 4th one was dubious.

Munir has died.
There should be some indication as such for members who died.

Is English an alien language to you?

In its annual yearbook for 2017-2018, the Pakistan Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) confirmed that the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) took delivery of its sixth Saab 2000-based Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft. The Directorate General of Defence Purchase (DGDP) ordered the sixth Erieye AEW&C from Saab for $94.95 million US in 2017-2018.[1]

Public export-import registries indicated that the PAF started implementing the follow-on Erieye program in April 2018, with deliveries concluding in April 2019. It appears that the additional Erieye AEW&C aircraft were integrated to three Saab 2000s procured from Skyworld Aviation in November 2018. In any case, the MoDP has basically confirmed that the PAF now operates six Erieye AEW&C aircraft.

Is English an alien language to you?

In its annual yearbook for 2017-2018, the Pakistan Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) confirmed that the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) took delivery of its sixth Saab 2000-based Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft. The Directorate General of Defence Purchase (DGDP) ordered the sixth Erieye AEW&C from Saab for $94.95 million US in 2017-2018.[1]

Public export-import registries indicated that the PAF started implementing the follow-on Erieye program in April 2018, with deliveries concluding in April 2019. It appears that the additional Erieye AEW&C aircraft were integrated to three Saab 2000s procured from Skyworld Aviation in November 2018. In any case, the MoDP has basically confirmed that the PAF now operates six Erieye AEW&C aircraft.
بھائ صاحب سیدھے سادے سوال کا اتنا ٹیڑھا جواب ، جبکہ جواب دینا لازم بھی نہ تھا ۔
سوال برا لگا تو جواب دینے سے گریز کریں ۔
مسئلہ حل ؟
ویسے بھی غصہ صحت کے لئے اچھا نہیں ہوتا ۔

Having said that, you will be the first think tank in my ignore list.
Bye.

Bye.
Why you put him in your ignore list, he is on of the most respected analyst and informer here

سوال برا لگا تو جواب دینے سے گریز کریں ۔
مسئلہ حل ؟

Bye.

As if i give two hoot about it.

There is a gem of a post from @Bilal Khan 777 on the topic of rebuild and repair of erieyes. It highlights what PAC did to recover the 4th platform. It is akin to the pheonix rising from the ashes of the older one.
A

There is a gem of a post from @Bilal Khan 777 on the topic of rebuild and repair of erieyes. It highlights what PAC did to recover the 4th platform. It is akin to the pheonix rising from the ashes of the older one.
A
جان کی امان پاؤں تو عرض کروں؟
PAF originally is said to have acquired 4 erieye.
Then PAF recently bought 3 kits from Sweden to be installed and assembled in Pakistan.
So thsts a grand total of 7?
But MODP year book said "6th AWACS"?
So there's the confusion.

Then PAF recently bought 3 kits from Sweden to be installed and assembled in Pakistan.

It’s a good confusion. Let people perpetually wonder whether it’s 5,6 or 7 erieyes.

Battlespacex-Fotorix-Photo-R1_24 copy.jpg

According to @Bilal Khan 777 I erieye was burnt to cinders. Two were heavily damaged. PAC repaired the two. They then bought another platform( i think they bought more than one to repair the other two). Saab was so embarrased by the fact that they had said the platforms cannot be repaired and PAC had done it. They sold us a Radar at a nominal rate. Now the confusion has arisen as to whether the subsequent order of 3 included this one or not. If it did then we have 6. If it did not then we have 7. I personally think PAF wanted 6 initially so this is/what they have managed to achieve. Personally I do not think it matters whether we have 6 or 7. Let PAF maintain a little bit of secrecy. The important thing is we achieved a huge task of repairing these heavily damaged platforms when the OEM had clearly stated that these could not be repaired.
A

Last edited:
According to @Bilal Khan 777 I erieye was burnt to cinders. Two were heavily damaged. PAC raired the two. They then bought another platform( i think they bought more than one to repair the other two). Saabwas so embarrased by the fact that they had said the platforms cannot be repaired and PAC had done it. They sold us a Radar at a nominal rate. Now the confusion has arisen as to whether the subsequent order of 3 included this one or not. If it did then we have 6. If it did not then we have 7. I personally think PAF wanted 6 initially so this is/what they have managed to achieve. Personally I do not think it matters wherher we have 6 or 7. Let PAF maintain a little bit of secrecy. The important thing is we achieved a huge task of repairing these heavily damaged platforms when the OEM had clearly stated that these could not be repaired.
A
for those member who might become curious to read Bilal Khan post could read it here

According to @Bilal Khan 777 I erieye was burnt to cinders. Two were heavily damaged. PAC raired the two. They then bought another platform( i think they bought more than one to repair the other two). Saabwas so embarrased by the fact that they had said the platforms cannot be repaired and PAC had done it. They sold us a Radar at a nominal rate. Now the confusion has arisen as to whether the subsequent order of 3 included this one or not. If it did then we have 6. If it did not then we have 7. I personally think PAF wanted 6 initially so this is/what they have managed to achieve. Personally I do not think it matters wherher we have 6 or 7. Let PAF maintain a little bit of secrecy. The important thing is we achieved a huge task of repairing these heavily damaged platforms when the OEM had clearly stated that these could not be repaired.
A

I think of it a lot of time that if we could repair the damaged Saab Erieye and can convert a Saab-2000 into an Erieye inhouse then we should also replace ZDK-03's radar with Erieye / Ericsson AESA radar. Although members here have always said that ZDK-03 has AESA radar but Chinese sources have never made such a claim. And I've also come to know that PAF is not very much satisfied with ZDK-03 and it was nowhere to be seen in Op. Swift Retort. Therefore we have a platform, if we could install an Erieye radar & systems in it then we'll have two advantages which are having a superior AESA radar and that too with 360-degree coverage.

I think of it a lot of time that if we could repair the damaged Saab Erieye and can convert a Saab-2000 into an Erieye inhouse then we should also replace ZDK-03's radar with Erieye / Ericsson AESA radar. Although members here have always said that ZDK-03 has AESA radar but Chinese sources have never made such a claim. And I've also come to know that PAF is not very much satisfied with ZDK-03 and it was nowhere to be seen in Op. Swift Retort. Therefore we have a platform, if we could install an Erieye radar & systems in it then we'll have two advantages which are having a superior AESA radar and that too with 360-degree coverage.
Erieyes were used in Swift retort because they can guide AMRAAMs and link up with F-16s using link 16. ZDK-03 is in use for primarily sea coverage. Both type of AWACs have their pluses. I can't find information on ZDK-03 radar but did find that it has a open architecture because Pakistan wanted a up gradable platform. ZDK-06 was later released with a AESA, possibility is high that they might have or are planned to be upgraded without public knowledge. Link 17 was also likely added.

Last edited:
1) Terrorists attack PAF Kamra. Blow up AWACS. Initially claimed only nose is damaged. Some argued all 3 AWACS which were on ground blew up only one survived which was in the air. Some members (claimed to be insiders) said 1 was completely blown up while 2 were damaged extensively. PAF never cleared their stance. In assembly defence minister said one AWACS was completely destroyed.

2) Members (notably Bilal Khan 777) claimed that 1 is W/O while 2 are repaired bringing the number to 3 operational AWACS. Source

3)At the same time PAF signed another contract with SAAB of US $170 millions. Source.

4) MoDP's annual report states that PAF has successfully recovered 4th destroyed AWACS. Source

5)PAF signs contact to acquire 3 more EriEye AWACS systems for US $155 millions. Source

Draw your conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom