What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

6.. with what it has.. That would mean having one phalcon on each front.. and 3 of the EMB's on the west and one on the north.

So why is the IAF so eager to procure 2 more Phalcons, in fact word has it that only the selection of the platform has kept it held up so long. Not to mention they are positive about procuring the bigger follow on AEW&C system to the DRDO/CABS AEW&C once all three are inducted. What would be the point of so many AEW&C assets?

So why is the IAF so eager to procure 2 more Phalcons, in fact word has it that only the selection of the platform has kept it held up so long. Not to mention they are positive about procuring the bigger follow on AEW&C system to the DRDO/CABS AEW&C once all three are inducted. What would be the point of so many AEW&C assets?

To maintain a high rate of serviceability. Then to have reserves that can be mobilised as necessary. Also to have some capability on the Maritime Borders if required. Aircraft can intrude from there as well. Plus, AEWACs can track ships also, is'nt it?

To maintain a high rate of serviceability. Then to have reserves that can be mobilised as necessary. Also to have some capability on the Maritime Borders if required. Aircraft can intrude from there as well. Plus, AEWACs can track ships also, is'nt it?

Well the IN might require one larger AEW&C to be "lent" to them along with the crew during ops, specially with the CBG. Damn but those CABS AEW&C look neat, no? Anyway this will turn too OT so lets leave it be.

Depending on mode of the radar....... besides, don't you have dedicated maritime assets for such patrols?

To really think into it, I think the IAF needs more AWACS up north. Since the west is still mostly plains which are well covered by the LLDR and Aerostats in any case. Up north is another matter.. unforgiving and uneven terrain requires surveillance that only an airborne radar can effectively provide.

To really think into it, I think the IAF needs more AWACS up north. Since the west is still mostly plains which are well covered by the LLDR and Aerostats in any case. Up north is another matter.. unforgiving and uneven terrain requires surveillance that only an airborne radar can effectively provide.

True, apparently we've had to put in quite a few gap filler radars along the LAC too and still the powers that be are not satisfied.

Depending on mode of the radar....... besides, don't you have dedicated maritime assets for such patrols?

Yes there are. The LRMRs such as the Bears, the Il-38s and now the Poseidons as well as shorter legged Dorniers. But they have little capability to track Aircraft. The Phalcons combine both. Not to mention even mobile land targets. Bigger force multiplier.
Big is Beautiful :D

Thats what the P-8I's are there for. Anyway, before we go too much into the IAF rather than the subject matter. What must be said is about the terrain that needs radar coverage.
This is what needs coverage from either side, and in Pakistans case.. not too much of the middle part.
topographische-karte-pakistan.jpg

Correcto, Senor Oscar! That is where most of the 67 LLTRs will go apart from another 50 CARs. Then the IA has its own requirements. So the order-book to beef up the Radar systems is quite large. But that program is well underway now.
That will allow more AEWACs to be deployed up North. BTW, some more Aerostats will also find their way there.

@Oscar Sir how many ZDK-03s do you have on order? I still don't understand why the sensor systems from one of the damaged Erieye AEW&C can't be salvaged and put on another platform, is it not technically possible or is it not allowed under contract? Could we move our Phalcom sensor system from its current platform on to another?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Oscar Sir how many ZDK-03s do you have on order? I still don't understand why the sensor systems from one of the damaged Erieye AEW&C can't be salvaged and put on another platform, Could we move our Phalcom sensor system from its current platform on to another?

I really cant say anything on the highlighted part :angel:

However, in the end these are all sensor suites that are made to work together in unison. So when radars for the F-22 can be tested in a 757 testbed. I dont see why you cannot transplant the suite from one aircraft to another provided that you know the wiring, the power requirements and the calibration methods. After all, these sensors also take into account what aircraft they are on...and knowing those parameters or rather knowing how to input those parameters into the system is what matters.
Its like installing a transmission from a car into another, it would work but it was designed from the outset for another car and so a lot of adjustments are required to make that happen.

There are 4 ZDK-03's ordered on soft loans through one of the Chinese state banks.

Thats what the P-8I's are there for. Anyway, before we go too much into the IAF rather than the subject matter. What must be said is about the terrain that needs radar coverage.
This is what needs coverage from either side, and in Pakistans case.. not too much of the middle part.
topographische-karte-pakistan.jpg

That map illustrates the Radar requirements on both sides quite well, @Oscar. It also seems to be good terrain for a first layer of mobile radars backed up with fixed Radar installations stepped back like the older THDs or the newer Swordfish LRTRs. Throw in an Aerostat or two (which are semi-mobile) and the set-up looks good to go. Apart from that Civilian ATC radars have now been cued into the IACCCS. So that works quite ok. Then the AEWACs become 'built-in redundancy' into the system. But one has to remember that the system will not only have to keep looking for Aircraft. But small low-level intruders aka missiles as well. So the IACCCS will use numerous mobile LLTRs in the system. Hence the huge order books for BEL.

I really cant say anything on the highlighted part :angel:

However, in the end these are all sensor suites that are made to work together in unison. So when radars for the F-22 can be tested in a 757 testbed. I dont see why you cannot transplant the suite from one aircraft to another provided that you know the wiring, the power requirements and the calibration methods. After all, these sensors also take into account what aircraft they are on...and knowing those parameters or rather knowing how to input those parameters into the system is what matters.
Its like installing a transmission from a car into another, it would work but it was designed from the outset for another car and so a lot of adjustments are required to make that happen.

There are 4 ZDK-03's ordered on soft loans through one of the Chinese state banks.

Sir, by your count the JFTs also came under a loan, so did the Erieye (right?), now this- add to that the various massive inroads made into your economy by the Chinese. Not that this is a topic for this thread- but what do you think will be the long term result of such a dependency- IF it can be termed as that? If you don't mind then perhaps you could provide the answer in Naswarville.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom