What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Any idea about the instrument detection range of ZDK 03 and any other ELINT / SIGINT equipment it carries?

Saab 2000 (J019)

saab-2000-2-large.jpg

PAF Saab 2000 (serial# J019, construction number 019), photographed at Chaklala Air Base. Saab 2000 (serial# J019) was delivered to PAF in 2008 and is used for routine transport tasks and crew training for Saab 2000 ERIEYE AEW&C crew training. [Picture courtesy: Ghafoor Elahi]

saab-2000-4-large.jpg

PAF Saab 2000 (serial# J019), photographed at Lahore. Saab 2000, with a cruise speed of over 665km/h (360kt), is one of the fastest turboprop airliners developed. It is now based at Chaklala, used for routine transport tasks and crew training for Saab 2000 ERIEYE AEW&C crew training. [Picture courtesy: APP]

my gut feeling is that the 'training' of crews is taking longer than expected or there may be some 'technical' issues which are being sorted out.

If indeed it's is a issue of "technical" proficiency, that's rather serious. We have long argued for more schools, advanced instruction and the requirement of earning advanced degrees to be considered for promotion to Major or equivalent and beyond.

All you need is "Allah's guidance". What is science before the all knowing? Why must a small glitch such as the lack of technical knowledge/degree stop a holy warrior of Allah from participating in tasks that demand exactly that?.........

Incase you missed it, this is sarcasm.

ladies & gentlemen observe this specimen directly out of the indian website BR!!! have a nice short stay here but please do give me your nickname on that website so i can follow you once you go from here :wave:

If indeed it's is a issue of "technical" proficiency, that's rather serious. We have long argued for more schools, advanced instruction and the requirement of earning advanced degrees to be considered for promotion to Major or equivalent and beyond.

maybe it is or it isnt, but there is a history and that is why i mentioned it. in the 80's when PN acquired its 3 Atlantic EW/Elint a/c, the sensors were difficult to master by our crews and the french navy deputised their personnel for a longer period before the PN operators were comfortable with the operations. things are much better now.

can any tells me that wen china hand over awacs to Pakistan???

ZDK-03 - update

ZDK-03 is an export AWACS system being developed for the Pakistani Air Force. This project was initiated in the early 2000. A Y-8 AWACS testbed (serial # T0518/Project 021) based on Y-8 Category II Platform was first discovered at CFTE in early 2006. Unlike KJ-200, this variant carries a traditional rotodome above its fuselage, with a mechanically rotating antenna inside. Therefore the Y-8 AWACS was speculated to be developed for the export market only as it appears less advanced than KJ-200 which features a fixed AESA radar. However this design does provide a true 360° coverage and carry a cheaper price tag. The AEW radar may be the product of the 38th Institute/CETC, but no details are available. The aircraft also features a solid nose with MAWS sensors on both sides, as well as two small vertical tail stabilizers. The Y-8 AWACS protoype was promoted to Pakistani AF in 2006. After some negotiations a much improved design was developed based on PAF's specifications. The variant is now dubbed ZDK-03 (ZDK means CETC) and is based on the new Y-8 Category III Platform featuring WJ-6C turboprops with 6-blade propellers. It was reported in early 2009 that a total of 4 were ordered by PAF in a $278m deal. The first ZDK-03 rolled out in November 2010 at SAC. A recent picture (July 2011) suggested that the second ZDK-03 has been built. ZDK-03 is expected to serve as the airborne command & control center for the JF-17 fighter fleet currently in service with PAF. However it appears to lack the secure datalink to effectively command western fighter aircraft such as American F-16. The first ZDK-03 is expected to be delivered within 2011.

- Last Updated 9/13/11

I think we can get it somewhere in Nov-Dec 2011 ... But why dont they hand out the first if even a second has been built ?

Back
Top Bottom