What's new

Pakistan's 3G/4G spectrum auction on Apr 23

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan's much anticipated 3G/4G auction, through which it plans to raise USD 2 billion, will take place on April 23, the government today announced.

A meeting of the Spectrum Auction Advisory Committee was held under the chairmanship of Finance Minister Senator Mohammad Ishaq Dar at the Finance Ministry.

Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) Chairman Syed Ismail Shah briefed the Committee on the progress made so far on the auction of 3G/4G licences.

He informed that the new spectrum will provide increased download speed and multiple new applications will be available to the Consumers, and will also generate employment opportunities.

"The auction is scheduled on 23rd April, while the sealed bids will be submitted to PTA on 14th April 2014," a statement released by Pakistan's Finance Ministry in the evening said.

Dar emphasised that the whole process should be completed with transparency and diligently and expressed his satisfaction over the progress.

He expressed the hope that PTA will conduct competitive auction for deployment of next generation mobile network.

Later on, CEOs of cellular mobile operators also met the Spectrum Auction Advisory Committee and discussed their suggestions on the draft Information Memorandum.

The country's cash-strapped government had promised to sell 3G mobile telephone licences to raise revenue, match regional rivals and drive prosperity.

However, the process has been hit by delays since the Cabinet had to first appoint members to constitute PTA.

Even Afghanistan, with a weaker economy and more fragile state, has the technology.

According to reports, a growth in broadband penetration is expected to lead 1.3 per cent growth in gross domestic product (GDP) of Pakistan.

There is a growing demand for smartphones in Pakistan and the five telecom companies operating here see 3G has a huge market.

Pakistan's 3G/4G spectrum auction on Apr 23 | Business Standard

The question when will be 3G / 4G will be available to users in Pakistan? world is already using 4G LTE and preparing for 5G and we are just going for 3G & 4G with slow speed. :sad:

The question when will be 3G / 4G will be available to users in Pakistan? world is already using 4G LTE and preparing for 5G and we are just going for 3G & 4G with slow speed. :sad:

Yesterday Telenor country head told that they have made all the arrangements for 3G services on their 7500 sites....Other 4 companies have also tested their capacity....If auction completes on 23 April, then we can enjoy services in last week of May or start of June 2014 by existing 5 mobile companies of Pakistan

Yesterday Telenor country head told that they have made all the arrangements for 3G services on their 7500 sites....Other 4 companies have also tested their capacity....If auction completes on 23 April, then we can enjoy services in last week of May or start of June 2014 by existing 5 mobile companies of Pakistan

It will be too late too little.

Just found this news on below link it says 3G & LTE auction, is it true? if true then its really good news that LTE is coming.

3G, LTE auction scheduled for April 23: Spectrum Advisory Committee – The Express Tribune

Last edited:
Pakistan's much anticipated 3G/4G auction, through which it plans to raise USD 2 billion, will take place on April 23, the government today announced.

A meeting of the Spectrum Auction Advisory Committee was held under the chairmanship of Finance Minister Senator Mohammad Ishaq Dar at the Finance Ministry.

Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) Chairman Syed Ismail Shah briefed the Committee on the progress made so far on the auction of 3G/4G licences.

He informed that the new spectrum will provide increased download speed and multiple new applications will be available to the Consumers, and will also generate employment opportunities.

"The auction is scheduled on 23rd April, while the sealed bids will be submitted to PTA on 14th April 2014," a statement released by Pakistan's Finance Ministry in the evening said.

Dar emphasised that the whole process should be completed with transparency and diligently and expressed his satisfaction over the progress.

He expressed the hope that PTA will conduct competitive auction for deployment of next generation mobile network.

Later on, CEOs of cellular mobile operators also met the Spectrum Auction Advisory Committee and discussed their suggestions on the draft Information Memorandum.

The country's cash-strapped government had promised to sell 3G mobile telephone licences to raise revenue, match regional rivals and drive prosperity.

However, the process has been hit by delays since the Cabinet had to first appoint members to constitute PTA.

Even Afghanistan, with a weaker economy and more fragile state, has the technology.

According to reports, a growth in broadband penetration is expected to lead 1.3 per cent growth in gross domestic product (GDP) of Pakistan.

There is a growing demand for smartphones in Pakistan and the five telecom companies operating here see 3G has a huge market.

Pakistan's 3G/4G spectrum auction on Apr 23 | Business Standard

Will it going to reduce to cost of dollar to 70 PKR...

Dar orders transparency in spectrum auction

ISLAMABAD: The Finance Minister Ishaq Dar emphasised on Thursday that the process of 3G/4G auction should be transparent.

He was chairing a meeting of the Spectrum Auction Advisory Committee on the progress made so far on the auctioning of spectrum licences.

PTA Chairman Dr Syed Ismail Shah said the spectrum will provide increased download speed and generate employment opportunities. Multiple new applications will also be available to the consumers.

The minister asked the PTA to ensure that best international standards for quality of service are provided to the consumers. He emphasised that the consumers should get modern next generation mobile services in line with the international best practices. The PTA was also directed by the committee to launch a public awareness campaign. The auction is scheduled for April 23, while sealed bids will be submitted to PTA on April 14.

Dar orders transparency in spectrum auction - thenews.com.pk

Just wonder how an ordinary citizen well benefit from this technology....??

We don't live in 18th century, stop limiting "common citizen" to the lowest slot of Maslow's hierarchy.
I know we are not living in 18th century, I am not good with technology, just wanted to know how it will help me?

I know we are not living in 18th century, I am not good with technology, just wanted to know how it will help me?

Online businesses will get a huge boost. Most of the courier services are already laying down foundation for cash on delivery services for the past year. We had one company last year, this year we have four.

Oh I am sorry, I misunderstood your post. Well, it opens lots of possibilities, in mobile government, mobile banking and services. One of the the first benefit you'll see is the introduction of smart meters by KESC which will pass telemetric data using 3G network back. This will help curb line losses and manage faults quicker and manage loads in realtime. They were trying to do it since a couple of years but the current 2G network did not allow it since there simply isn't enough data bandwidth available on it.

I have been hearing this for long now from my Pakistani friends.
I hope this is a confirmed news.

I have been hearing this for long now from my Pakistani friends.
I hope this is a confirmed news.

Everything has been finalised, the bids will be received mid April and winners will be announced 24th April.

Back
Top Bottom