What's new

Pakistani Truck driver's story: What it's like to be a truck driver in the U.S?

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistani Truck driver's story: What it's like to be a truck driver in the U.S?

I know a family of Pakistanis that use to drive cabs in NYC then switched to driving big rig trucks nationally. It was a good lucrative move for them since taxi driving is not very profitable anymore but demand for truckers is sky high.

I know a family of Pakistanis that use to drive cabs in NYC then switched to driving big rig trucks nationally. It was a good lucrative move for them since taxi driving is not very profitable anymore but demand for truckers is sky high.
Truckers make insane amounts of money in the US. I wonder if truckers in Western, Northern and Central Europe make anywhere near as much as what truckers make in the US.

The average salary of a trucker is $ 80,000 annually. I do insurance for quite a few Indian and Pakistani-owned trucking "logistics" businesses, and they are printing money.

The average salary of a trucker is $ 80,000 annually. I do insurance for quite a few Indian and Pakistani-owned trucking "logistics" businesses, and they are printing money.
Most younger Americans (many with university degrees) are unlikely to go into "blue collar" fields like trucking, construction or farming. This is leading to a huge demand and profit for unskilled immigrants that go into these fields. USA can solve many of its shortages and inflation by giving visas for blue collar work to boost output of housing, logistics and food. Current USA immigration policy is poorly setup. Too many undocumented that can get benefits but don't contribute, IMO.

Last edited:

lotsoftrucking.png

TV show from the 1980's

Last edited:

View attachment 887128
Stats are from 2014. COVID has disrupted USA labor market. My anecdotal view is that blue collar workers are harder to come by in 2022. This is why inflation remains high even though Biden and Fed have been trying to reduce it for a year. Immigration can help but it needs to be setup correctly. Instead bussing migrants to sleep in homeless shelters in NY.....why not give them hammers and send them to rebuild Florida.

Most younger Americans (many with university degrees) are likely to go into "blue collar" fields like trucking, construction or farming. This is leading to a huge demand and profit for unskilled immigrants that go into these fields.

Yes, that's the beauty because the upward mobility income-wise is uncapped in self-employed fields, including those you mentioned. I encourage Pakistanis to do their business because, if you work, for example, at Deloitte or Ernest and Young, you start at $ 70,000 yearly and some benefits. But in your own business, you can set up multiple streams of revenue that can generate the same amount each as you would if you worked for a corporation. The problem with working for someone else, you never own the business or have any stake in it.

I have known great salesmen that helped businesses develop from scratch, and once they reach a certain income level, they are let go. They are given a pink slip for immediate termination and collect unemployment from the state for a few weeks. The worst part is the business they helped develop they have no equity. So even though you hear about Uber and all of them giving equity shares, remember the big funders are given that privilege, and often in small businesses, besides the partners, regulars do not get anything.

Working as self-employed gives you specific mobility, freedom, and the ability to diversify into different fields.

My younger brother works at Deloitte's Chicago office. What he makes in a month, I make in 1 week in just one of my businesses. I told him to leave and work for me, but I often hear he wants a secure job. I blame this thinning on the education system that teaches you to get a degree, work for a big corporation with a 401K, and get a medical/dental/vision plan. Schools neglect to mention that you'll work like a dog with nothing to show. I was of that opinion as well when my father asked me to develop the family business until I was let go after working for four years for a corporation with a Master's in Finance/Account concentration. I gave him an example of a Hispanic client of mine in the country no more than a handful of years, setting up a lawn care business that employs over 150+ individuals with multiple vehicles across the state of Illinois and driving around a Ferrari while his clients are in a budget vehicle.

My father and his family have always worked for themselves and never for someone until my brothers and me. I remember during a party we were invited to, and around the table, everyone was asking what you do; some said doctor (and they started their talks of making money for a few mins), then some said lawyers and engineers once it came to my father he said I employ all of you.

Last edited:
Stats are from 2014. COVID has disrupted USA labor market. My anecdotal view is that blue collar workers are harder to come by in 2022. This is why inflation remains high even though Biden and Fed have been trying to reduce it for a year. Immigration can help but it needs to be setup correctly. Instead bussing migrants to sleep in homeless shelters in NY.....why not give them hammers and send them to rebuild Florida.

Poor working conditions and inflation are mentioned here..

The shortage of truck drivers is not due to the lack of individuals interested in becoming drivers.

There are lots of potential drivers interested in becoming career truck drivers, but once many of them discover:

• the low pay
  • the lack of respect
  • the often poor working conditions
  • and the demands of the job

Yes, that's the beauty because the upward mobility income-wise is uncapped in self-employed fields, including those you mentioned. I encourage Pakistanis to do their business because, if you work, for example, at Deloitte or Ernest and Young, you start at $ 70,000 yearly and some benefits. But in your own business, you can set up multiple streams of revenue that can generate the same amount each as you would if you worked for a corporation. The problem with working for someone else, you never own the business or have any stake in it.

I have known great salesmen that helped businesses develop from scratch, and once they reach a certain income level, they are let go. They are given a pink slip for immediate termination and collect unemployment from the state for a few weeks. The worst part is the business they helped develop they have no equity. So even though you hear about Uber and all of them giving equity shares, remember the big funders are given that privilege, and often in small businesses, besides the partners, regulars do not get anything.

Working as self-employed gives you specific mobility, freedom, and the ability to diversify into different fields.

My younger brother works at Deloitte's Chicago office. What he makes in a month, I make in 1 week in just one of my businesses. I told him to leave and work for me, but I often hear he wants a secure job. I blame this thinning on the education system that teaches you to get a degree, work for a big corporation with a 401K, and get a medical/dental/vision plan. Schools neglect to mention that you'll work like a dog with nothing to show. I gave him an example of a Hispanic client of mine in the country no more than a handful of years, setting up a lawn care business that employs over 50 individuals with multiple vehicles across the state of Illinois and driving around a Ferrari while his clients are in a budget vehicle.
People with university degrees aren't going to mow loans, drive trucks or clear toilet clogs. Setting up a business is high risk and a lot of work but in the USA......people that build profitable businesses.......are the wealthiest.

In the case of many startups.....they don't even have to be profitable. :lol: :lol:

Poor working conditions and inflation are mentioned here..

The shortage of truck drivers is not due to the lack of individuals interested in becoming drivers.

There are lots of potential drivers interested in becoming career truck drivers, but once many of them discover:

• the low pay
  • the lack of respect
  • the often poor working conditions
  • and the demands of the job
Many blue collar work is tough. But needed to make the system work.

Truck driving is going through the dead cat bounce phase, it is a dying job and automation will displace a lot of people out of work from Trucking industry in the next 10-15 years. In 20 years, no human will be driving a big rig.

Truck driving is going through the dead cat bounce phase, it is a dying job and automation will displace a lot of people out of work from Trucking industry in the next 10-15 years. In 20 years, no human will be driving a big rig.

That's where you diversify into other lines of business. Down the road, your side hustle might be your breadwinner.

Your timeline is too optimistic......it must come from those unprofitable startups I mention :lol: :lol: :lol:.

£50,000 a year here in UK basic but with more perks . Overtime can make more
HGV ( heavy goods vehicle) driver shortage in UK

I remember when £50,000 was equal to $80,000 a couple years back but now £50,000 equals $56,000 .

Back
Top Bottom