What's new

Pakistani PM 'survives attack' !

genmirajborgza786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pakistani PM 'survives attack'

Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has survived an assassination attempt, officials say.

Two bullets from an unidentified gunman hit his car as he was travelling just outside the capital, Islamabad, his press secretary told the BBC.

Mr Gilani's government is grappling with a growing threat from militants in the country.

In December former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was killed at an election rally in Rawalpindi.

updated at 09:37 GMT, Wednesday, 3 September 2008 10:37 UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7595572.stm

all media channels are reporting that there has been an attempt on the life of PM Gillani - attack on his motorcade in Pindi

conflicting reports by govt. and security officials.
one says PM was in the vehicle and the other says the vehicle was going to pick the PM from the PM house.

now they are claiming that the assailant(s) have been aprehended!

Pakistan PM not in car when shots fired
Email Print Normal font Large font September 3, 2008 - 9:14PM

Advertisement
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has escaped an apparent assassination attempt when his car was struck by two bullets fired by unknown assailants, officials say.

Security officials said the prime minister was not in the car at the time of the attack, contradicting earlier comments from Gilani's spokesman.

"There was firing near the motorcade of the prime minister. Two bullets hit the window glass of the bullet-proof car in which the prime minister was travelling," Gilani's spokesman Zahid Bashir told AFP.

"By the grace of Allah the prime minister is safe," he added.

The attack happened in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, near the capital Islamabad, and came three days before Pakistan's presidential election this Saturday.

Television pictures showed shattered glass in the driver's window of a black Mercedes which forms part of the prime ministerial motorcade.

However, security officials later said the motorcade was on its way to meet Gilani at Rawalpindi airport at the time of the attack.

"The prime minister and his staff were not in the car," interior secretary Kamal Shah told AFP.

Gilani has been Pakistan's prime minister since March having taken office after his Pakistan People's Party (PPP) won national elections the previous month.

Information Minister Sherry Rehman told state television: "The convoy was going to receive the prime minister. He reached Islamabad from an alternate route. Those who had designs, have failed."

She added: "I spoke to prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani. He is fine and carrying out his routine duties and attending the appointments. He even did not mention this incident."

Rehman said that investigations were being carried out and the results would be made public.

"It is an important event and a critical thing has happened," she added.

© 2008 AFP

I Dont know but something does not adds up.

1- Two Shots Fired on the Driver's window ....Was PM driving the merc himself or was driver the target ?

2- First one could have missed the target but both shots hit very close to each other on the drivers windows (according to the pics that i have seen)...

3- I thought that almost Everyone probably knows that the PM's veichle has bullet proof glasses....what was this shooter thinking ?.....Warning shot ?

maybe all points above could be merely a coincidence and shooter was either dumb or with a bad aim or screwed gun sight :woot:

or may be this was a warning for him...or probably staged by himself

Last edited:
Pretty amateurish attempt.

I believe the TTP Swat has claimed responsibility.

Perhaps a reflection of the impact on militant capabilities the operations in Swat and Bajaur have had.

A frame grab taken from Pakistan TV shows cracks in a window of the car of Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani's motorcade in Islamabad September 3, 2008. Shots were fired at Gilani's motorcade on Wednesday but he was not hurt, his spokesman said. The attack happened on the main road to the airport in the capital, Islamabad. Earlier, Gilani had arrived back at the airport from a trip to the eastern city of Lahore.
REUTERS/Pakistan TV via Reuters TV​

Ok i did not notice that this thread was already opened so i opened one in the war on terror related thread. Kindly merge the two.

When David Cameron drafted the democracy speech he delivered today, which contained a line about how Pakistan "has suffered terribly at the hands of terrorism", he did not expect that his visit to the country would coincide with an assassination attempt.

Cameron was in Islamabad today when shots were fired at the car of Yousuf Raza Gilani, the prime minister. Like Gilani (who wasn't in his car), Cameron was not involved in the incident itself. But the security around him has been tightened and his pre-arranged dinner with Gilani this evening is still due to go ahead.

The speech, the full text of which is now available on the Conservative party website, is entitled "Democracy should be the work of patient craftsmanship". In Pakistan their patience is being sorely tested.

It's probably not the most important speech Cameron has ever delivered, but there's a passage where he summarises his core philosophy quite crisply that is worth noting.

My starting point is the philosophy that I believe in, the philosophy that I would apply to international affairs if elected. I am a liberal Conservative. Liberal – because I believe in freedom, human rights and democracy, and I want to see more of these things in our world. But Conservative, because I believe strongly in the continued relevance of the nation state and because I am sceptical of grand utopian schemes to remake the world according to a politician's timetable. My instinct is to work patiently with the grain of human nature, with the flow of culture, tradition and history.

I was also struck by the Blairite tone of the speech. At one point he said "the case for democracy needs to be remade and refreshed in every generation" - which is almost word for word what Blair said about Europe - and he also went on about the need for "moral authority" in foreign affairs, which sounds much the same as Robin Cook's "ethical foreign policy".

At ConservativeHome the reaction has been mixed. Some posts on the blog have been very favourable, but several contributors have dismissed it as waffle.

About this articleClose David Cameron's Pakistan visit coincides with assassination attempt
This article was first published on guardian.co.uk on Wednesday September 03 2008. It was last updated at 17:59 on September 03 2008.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom