What's new

Pakistani players not being charged by Scotland Yard

God... you people are naive. The fact that no-one better over Amir's no-ball does not mean that Amir wasn't involved in spot fixing. Need to quote myself here.

No actual betting was carried against any of those no-balls. NOTW reporter allegedly paid cash to Majeed in return for those no-balls. Since actual betting wasn't carried on, this isn't a crime as per the British law. Does that make Butt, Asif, Amir innocent? No! It does not. Naive peeps.
what is to do with "naive"........... i just translated the news...........read it for yourself.......... believe or not - thats a different issue

well if he wanted to fix why not he fixed the match why no balls it is a big point becoz he might be making the story thats all i doubt this video have made before the match it is just another ploy of english people to have mental effect on team of pakistan and they dont want to loose as badly as they lost from us in 2000 series where we thareshed them in ODI all hands up poor and badly

The question of charges being cleared does not come up since they were NEVER charged. However, this is significant since they are being let go, and they have the option of never coming back to the UK. So the SY won't let them go unless they had given up their plan to charge them ever.

Pakistan trio to return home without charge - Yahoo! Eurosport

They have not been charged but Rehman Malik explained, however, that the imminent return of Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir does not mean they are cleared from the ongoing criminal investigation.
The government of Pakistan, Malik said, will provide a written assurance that the players be made available if needed for further investigations.
"We have spoken to Scotland Yard, and the [Pakistan] high commissioner to the UK, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, has also been in talks with them and they have agreed that the players can return to Pakistan," Malik told Cricinfo.
A source close to the negotiations told Cricinfo the Pakistan team was waiting for a final green signal from Scotland Yard.
"There are 30 per cent chances of them going on Friday and 70 per cent on Saturday," the source said.
All three, the source added, would travel back together.
The trio were provisionally suspended by the ICC last Thursday and were quizzed by police the next day for their alleged role in bowling deliberate no-balls during the fourth Test at Lord's between England and Pakistan; an undercover sting operation by the tabloid News of the World apparently revealed that they had done so at the behest of Mazhar Majeed, an agent to the players.
Majeed was arrested but released on bail while the players had their mobile phones confiscated.
No charges have been pressed against them yet.
"They have not been charged by the police with any offence," a Pakistan team spokesman added. "They have fully co-operated with the police into the enquiries and maintain that they are innocent of any alleged wrongdoing.
"They have agreed with the police to return to England if the police request them to do so to further assist the policein their enquiries."
The Metropolitan Police verified the developments with a statement of their own.
"We can confirm that we have been made aware that the three Pakistani cricketers interviewed under caution on Friday Sept. 3 intend to leave the United Kingdom today, Friday Sept. 10, and have given an undertaking through their solicitor to return to assist the Metropolitan Police Service inquiry in due course," the statement said.
The development follows the news that the PCB chief revealed that Wahab Riaz, the left-arm fast bowler, will be the fourth player to be interviewed by the police in relation to the scandal.
Ijaz Butt sounded confident in his press conference at Gaddafi Stadium earlier that the three players would return to Pakistan soon and though he indicated that the criminal case against them might not be as strong, he did not say they would be cleared.
The PCB's legal advisor Taffazul Rizvi confirmed to Cricinfo that investigations will continue.
The players also have to respond to the suspension notices served to them by the ICC for which they have one more week left.
That investigation and process is separate to whatever conclusion police officials reach.

Only thing left is for SY's investigation to conclude and there is obviously no charge against them.

The world would then owe them an apology and they better be kneeling and kissing the ground while doing it.

But why are they going back to Pakistan? if the charges (accusations) are dropped - they could play ODI matches...... if the charges were not dropped.... they may have to represent before court in the UK.....so they should have stayed in UK either way

im looking forward to those players got clear first than we make strong case to that channel and ruin the career of that journalist and who ever indian friends making fun on this it be big blow to them

ok than why you all wanted them to be guilty and whole of your media when the case is still in investigation phase

Go to news.google.com and run a search for this topic. There are as many Pakistani agencies hungry for the sensational news as the Indian ones.

As for generalizing the "you all" in your statement, there were many Indian members including me who have been asking the same questions as you (without abusing others), and there are Pakistani members accusing your own players like many others. So how did you see this divide based on nationality?

But why are they going back to Pakistan? if the charges (accusations) are dropped - they could play ODI matches...... if the charges were not dropped.... they may have to represent before court in the UK.....so they should have stayed in UK either way
Hmmm I would guess, this has been the most troubled time that these young guys have ever witnessed. Their families back home would be eager to meet them. There is a limited amount of time you can hold a person without charging them while under investigation. So I think SY is avoiding any lawsuits by dragging this on when they don't foresee doing so in the future.

They can't play in the ODI till the ICC backs off too. ICC would probably be ducking and cowering after this development since they have royally effed up. They will grasp at stramans and PCB should be prepared to give a size 10 danda when they do so. The fight is not over yet, everyone should be made to jump through all the hoops possible.

NOTW has to be sued and I hope they don't go for some sort of settlement. NOTW has earned truck loads of money out of this controversy, every penny should be transfered to these players.

However, this is significant since they are being let go, and they have the option of never coming back to the UK. So the SY won't let them go unless they had given up their plan to charge them ever.

Not necessarily. Unless SY drops all charges, the players HAVE to come back to clear their names. If there are any charges slapped on them, the ICC will not let them play any form of cricket, and that is the end of their career. If I were one of them, I would prefer going back to get my innocence established. Investigative agencies weigh these risks before releasing "suspects".

The world would then owe them an apology and they better be kneeling and kissing the ground while doing it.

If their innocence is established, I would like to see some punitive action on the NOTW, the officials and other players who helped support this "conspiracy".

I hope this All True ..Mohammad Aamer is one of the bright star ...i hope this star will shine soon..! InshaALLAH

Must Watch Interview of Shahid Afridi

BBC Sport - Cricket - Pakistan's Shahid Afridi critical of Yasir Hameed (Might only be for British residents)

Video of Afridi calling him immature
-----------------
Its a mind-blowing Interview from Shahid Afridi. He did the right thing by calling "Yasir Hameed" a 15-16 year old boy.....and trust me this is going to weight a lot in long terms.... Its a must watch video and if its avaiable to UK only.......let me know and i will try to find from youtube or write down his interview in my words :)

hahahahaha - watch this video as well - i guess his comments are quoted from the same video posted above

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys know if the players in the subcontinent have agents that handle the sponsorship contracts and other financial negotiations or is it something each player handles on his own?

If their innocence is established, I would like to see some punitive action on the NOTW, the officials and other players who helped support this "conspiracy".
IF any charges are slapped on them and they don't return to clear their name then ICC has a right to enforce a ban. If they don't then ICC must lift their suspension.

Back
Top Bottom