What's new

Pakistani militants kill 15 security officers

In the wake of the cross-border Nato attack in November that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in Salala, the whole country was up in arms against the aggression of the allied forces. From the political parties to lawyers associations, from banned militant outfits to student organisations, from the head of the armed forces to the aunties in drawing room; everyone thought it fitting to lambast the US — especially since most people cannot really distinguish between the US and Nato — for attacking Pakistan’s sovereignty, its land and its people.
A few weeks later, 15 Frontier Constabulary personnel who were captured in Tank on December 23 were taken to Waziristan by the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and killed after some time. Unlike the deaths in Salala, no one is mourning the loss of lives of these 15 men because we do not cry at the atrocities committed by our so-called ‘strategic assets’, who not only claim these deaths with impunity, but justify it as an act of revenge. We only lament, or maybe we are pushed into lamenting for those who are killed by foreigners, be it individuals (victims of Raymond Davis) or troops (victims of the Salala raid in November) to get maximum political and material leverage out of it. It’s a slur on our national integrity if soldiers die in cross-border skirmishes, but if our strategic assets — or more likely strategic liabilities — murder a group of soldiers in cold blood, it only merits a brief press release with no mention of the names of those who died.
The victims of Waziristan will also not be grieved because there were no officers and gentlemen amongst them. They were ordinary soldiers, and we do not mourn the deaths of mere soldiers who are killed in the line of duty by their compatriots.
Did any political party call for a protest against this act of barbarism? No.
Has footage of the flag-covered coffins been shown on television channels to invoke public anger and resentment against the TTP? No.
Have our religious parties offered funeral prayers for the soldiers who were kidnapped and killed by the TTP? No.
Did people hold rallies vowing to avenge the deaths of these soldiers at the hand of the Taliban? No.
Did our lawyers boycott their activities and call for action against the TTP? No. In fact, for them, it was business as usual.
Were distressed family members, wailing mothers and fathers with slumped shoulders interviewed to fan public outrage against this barbaric act? No.
Did anyone ask the TTP to pay qisas to the families of the 15 victims? No.
Were there any TV anchors frothing at the mouth, dishing out sermons dripping with moral outrage calling people to stand up against the effrontery of the TTP? No. The debate on television was about memogate and the several contempt of court notices issued by the superior judiciary to members of the PPP leadership.
Why bother, when there is no financial compensation to be had, where no effigy-burning rallies can be organised, and no foreign nation is to be blame. It is known that some animals are more equal than others in the animal farm called Pakistan, but what is now being learned is that some animals are more equal in death as well.
Published in The Express Tribune, January 7th, 2012.

More equal than others in death – The Express Tribune

FRIDAY`S report that 15 Frontier Constabulary personnel have been brutally murdered by the Taliban is a reminder that we are not out of the woods yet. The decline in terrorist attacks in 2011 had led to some hope that Pakistan`s Islamist militancy problem is increasingly being brought under control. But this ruthless act demonstrates that the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan is still unwilling to accept the state`s authority in certain areas. The TTP declared that the step was taken in response for action by security forces in Khyber Agency, making it clear that it is quite willing and able to retaliate when the state tries to exert this authority.

The incident once again disproves the rhetoric of some political parties that it is foreign forces, not Pakistanis and Muslims, that are fighting the state. The conflict is clearly an indigenous one driven by citizens of this country who wish to establish fiefdoms where they can operate outside the bounds of the law. As such, this latest development points to a couple of realities that should no longer be ignored. One, the Frontier Constabulary is essentially a police force. Unlike the better-trained and better-equipped army and the Frontier Corps, it does not have the wherewithal to carry out the kind of security duties required in some of the border regions between the tribal areas and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. This incident should be used as an opportunity to either step up their resources and training or to revis it their deployment in these areas. Second, the incident was a reminder that at least parts of North Waziristan remain a lawless hub for militant activities, including criminal activities carried out by militant groups. By now a clear pattern has also been established of kidnapping victims, whether state employees or private citizens, being held there while negotiations are conducted or until they are killed. This brazen killing of over a dozen security personnel should be a moment for the army and the civilian government to rethink their approach to North Waziristan and consider whether some action there, if only targeted strikes, is finally warranted.

did you guys noticed how media remained silent on the issue ?? how come it was less important than those killed by NATO? just because America/pak army is having peace talks with talibans? So such news is to be ignored !!

Why you have issues with this silence? According to you they were paid to die? No?

did you guys noticed how media remained silent on the issue ?? how come it was less important than those killed by NATO? just because America/pak army is having peace talks with talibans? So such news is to be ignored !!

Im sure you believe their families would be paid 10 60K furnished housed each for embracing martyrdom... right? also isnt it ur beloved imran khan who has been ranting about stopping war in FATA and negotitatin with talibscum?

Im sure you believe their families would be paid 10 60K furnished housed each for embracing martyrdom... right? also isnt it ur beloved imran khan who has been ranting about stopping war in FATA and negotitatin with talibscum?

Because the tabs are enemy and you don't expect them to treat you with fairness, whereas the US said it was our friend, the sense of betrayal was evident.

Something I noticed too, the para forces / ethnic groups should not start feeling they are being treated as cannon fodder.

Something I noticed too, the para forces / ethnic groups should not start feeling they are being treated as cannon fodder.

LoL - there are plenty of problems in your own backyard for you to be worried about ours.

Its not the case except for the soldiers the officers are from all over the country and its a fact tht among the 3700+ casualities 600+ have been officers......leading frm the front.. including red taped senior officers like generals,brigadiers etc.

Its not the case except for the soldiers the officers are from all over the country and its a fact tht among the 3700+ casualities 600+ have been officers......leading frm the front.. including generals,brigadier etc.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say, "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say, "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words,

Harry the King, Bedford, and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say, "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say, "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words,

Harry the King, Bedford, and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Beautiful my brother... you put it beautifully.

i think its more to do with nations moral .. such bad news flashed 24/7 on tons of BAD news channels we have will have very a negative Impact .. May the shuhada rest in peace and May Allah give us the oppourtunity to shove these talibans back to where they came from

Back
Top Bottom