What's new

Pakistani boy gets 'new life' in India

Noida, June 25 (IANS):Nine-year-old Amaar Asif was suffering from end-stage kidney and liver disease. When his parents, who own a small shop in Lahore, came to know about this rare disease, they were shattered.

There is no treatment available for it in Pakistan. They consulted hospitals in Singapore, China and the US, as also in London. The cost of treatment was beyond their reach. Finally, with the help of Pakistani government, the child got a combined liver and kidney transplant at a private hospital here.

“We had lost hope. My son has got a new lease of life. I thank the doctors in India. They are so helpful and compassionate,” Amaar's mother Unaiza Haider IANS.

She got emotional and said the warmth and support that she got in India is diametrically opposite to the general perception about the relations between the two countries.

“Whenever I ask about the condition of Amaar, the doctor's reply was that Amaar is like my son, we will do our best,” said the mother.

A battery of 10 surgeons, 6 anaesthetists and 30 nurses conducted the combined transplant at the Fortis Hospital here.

“It was a rare and complicated case. It took us more than 10 hours to do the simultaneous transplant of kidney and liver,” said Dushayant Nadar, senior consultant, urology, at Fortis Noida.

Nadar along with Vivek Vij, director of gastrointestinal surgery and liver transplant, led the surgery.

Vij explained that child was suffering from primary hyperoxaluria (excessive urinary excretion of oxalate) and had to undergo a cleansing process (haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis) prior to the operation to reduce the oxalate levels in the blood.

Primary hyperoxaluria is a rare condition characterised by the overproduction of a substance called oxalate (also called oxalic acid). In the kidneys, the excess oxalate combines with calcium to form calcium oxalate, a hard compound that is the main component of kidney stones. Deposits of calcium oxalate can lead to kidney damage, kidney failure, and injury to other organs.

“Only one in five lakh people are affected by primary hyperoxaluria. This is indeed one of the most challenging cases in transplants as it requires extensive dialysis pre-operatively and then post-operatively,” Vij said.

“In such an operation, the patient and the two donors are operated in tandem and this needs precision and absolute coordination with no scope for human error,” he said.

When asked why they choose India for the surgery, Amaar's maternal grandfather Mubarak Haider said they took the decision after doing extensive inquiry and survey of the facilities in different parts of the world.

“We also tried hospitals in Singapore, China, America and some other countries. China we don't trust. Singapore, US was too expensive. We opted for India, because it is much cheaper and quality is good,” Haider told IANS.

A liver transplant at Fortis Hospital cost around Rs.19 lakh, while for a kidney transplant the fee is Rs.3.5 lakh.

The Pakistani government, through its high commission here, sponsored Aamir's treatment.

Fortis Hospital's zonal director for Uttar Pradesh Somesh Mittal said the fee in Indian hospitals for kidney and liver transplants is almost one-tenth of the US.

“Our service is among the best in the world,” claimed Mittal.

Mittal said a large number of patients from the neighbouring countries including Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka visit India for transplants and other advanced medical treatment and surgeries.

Haider said such cases play a very important role in removing distrust and strengthening people-to-people contacts.

Love beyond borders: Pakistani boy gets 'new life' in India

Awe thats awesome! !
See there are people who want to move on.
And yeah I'm not a total lover of india but come on.
The fact stands
Indo-Pak sincere friendship is the only.solution to South Asian problem..
The doctors deserve a thanks and both the govts deserve appreciation for making this channeling possible :)

Despite being a nuclear power,Pakistan lags behind in many critical areas-medical,automobile,space etc. Pakistan seriously needs to improve its medical facilities

Well Pakistan government paid around 23-24 Lakh Indian rupees thats like 40,000 US $. Way to go out of its way to help the people. Nawaz Sharif is a good man. But I would say instead of helping people like that why not invest big one time and get a kidney transplant hospital in Pakistan itself? More jobs for young Pakistani doctors , nurses and facilities at home for local Pakistanis

You can invest in costly equipment and infrastructure but if you do not have the skilled manpower to use them it is as good as useless. And that is where Pakistan struggles...all the skilled workers prefer settling in the west. Nobody likes to live in a country where life has no security. I know a handful of Pakistanis here (UK)...and they say they won't go back...no matter how much they are paid....whereas the Indians here are willing to move given they are paid well.

Guy!!! Whats ur problem yaar can't you get over your silly allegations.
Indians stop with you silly desultory remarks, the operation wasnt for free. Our govt paid.. secondly we are trying do better in our health sector .. We don't need your advice..
Thirdly. Stop picking out our mistakes..Indis and Paks you both know that both of you are no better than eachother in terms of development. So instead of bullying eachother and passing derogatory remarks try doing some.good..
Fourth ..Pakistanis yaar ab achi baat mei bhi kerray na nikalo ..
Appreciate, agar woh baz nahi atay tou tum tolerate karo..
And the person jis ne donor, extremism ka shosha chora ..
Sharam se doob maro

Kamazkam Humaray disputes are not bigger than humanity! !

that's the difference between us and the Pakistanis......Pakistanis kill Indians brutally and we save Pakistani lives.....Pakistanis stop behaving like Animals

You can invest in costly equipment and infrastructure but if you do not have the skilled manpower to use them it is as good as useless. And that is where Pakistan struggles...all the skilled workers prefer settling in the west. Nobody likes to live in a country where life has no security. I know a handful of Pakistanis here (UK)...and they say they won't go back...no matter how much they are paid....whereas the Indians here are willing to move given they are paid well.

Well thats exaggeration and this case is more applicable in india

And now again was pointing out Pakistans flaws the reason behind this thread! Or WAS IT GOODWILL ..
BUT you people are just sick minded

And now again was pointing out Pakistans flaws the reason behind this thread! Or WAS IT GOODWILL ..
its a wake up call ... i stay in london and bloody hell its a mini pakistan here . More security and growth will slow down brain drain from pakistan

good will was done by indian govt. and doctors....not by pdf members...
and what sick mind are u talking of....did u read the 1st comment of ur country man....thats sick...
lol... pakistanii talk a lot abt bombing india but when Indian show a good will gesture u people can't even appreciate it...
and mind it...though u paid the money but our country allowed the patient to be treated here.... Pakistan is not seen as a friendly county...so its not same....as a normal medical treatment...

So, are you trying to say that its your Ahsaan??

No dude and wtf? Who's talking about pdf members and FYI THATS WHY I MENTIONED PAKISTANIS TOO.
IF YOU HAVE EYES AND NOT BUTTONS.

well thanks for the clearance. This thread was actually a mockery by some indian..pity me who took it something nice..

Go on say all the shit you people can :rolleyes: happy hating

its a wake up call ... i stay in london and bloody hell its a mini pakistan here . More security and growth will slow down brain drain from pakistan

Nuh Uh last time I check Indians and Bangladeshis still out number Pakistanis in England ..

China we don't trust. Singapore, US was too expensive. We opted for India, because it is much cheaper and quality is good,” Haider told IANS.

Why does China and Chinese products have such a bad stereotype in Pakistan, mind you Chinese health care facilities and doctors are amongst the best in the world. One would think with the level of cooperation that exists between China and Pakistan, Pakistanis would have bit more faith in China.:what::what:

@Chinese-Dragon

Nuh Uh last time I check Indians and Bangladeshis still out number Pakistanis in England ..
1.2 mill pakistani vs 1.8 indians ... now compare both to their respective population in their home country and check the ratio

Dear I joined into a health service after retiring from armed forces. My speciality is Nuclear Medicine....and let me tell you India has enough manpower to cope the needs. It's only the rural areas where one might find lack of personal...not because of unavailability but because there are enough institutions in cities to absorb them...and people are reluctant to work in rural areas.

And now about the flaws of Pakistan...point out any of my points which is wrong.
Isn't Pakistan a Nuclear Power?? Do you think acquiring such a feat is cheap and doesn't need skilled people and huge sum of money in comparison to a Hospital with liver transplant facility?? I am pointing out your sick mind...Isn't it a disgrace for Pakistan ...where does the billions of US aid go?? I see people posting threads boasting Pakistan getting $900 million as USaid and say that "Indians ko mirchi lagi"...but why you guys have to rush to India for treatment.

Back
Top Bottom