What's new

Pakistani Army asks for Respect.

The real word that you may have been looking for is "apolitical". A professional army does its job not because it should be looking for special rewards from the nation, but because they chose a profession with a certain value and belief system. Army has no job promoting or creating any sort of aspirations of people. It is their job to ensure the fulfillment of the aspirations of the people and that too only when the nature of these aspirations fall within their ambit of responsibility.

Any other activism from the army will only promote anarchy in the nation. Has that not been evident since 47 to this day? Sir?

I take your point, you imagine "professionalism" defined as it is in the West -- the Pakistan army, to my thinking, must not be in this mold, rather it should take the mold as it's takeoff point -- Pakistan, the nation/society and state are not in the West, do not have the history and historical development of the West - it's nation is unique on to itself, and it is a nation that needs and can use a friend - not one outside it, but one of it, one that represents it's best.

Don't get me wrong, I do take your point and am not suggesting it is illegitmate, the point I was making was that like any other nation, Pakistan is unique, and where it is as far as national experience, a national army because of the kinds of decisions it can take, can repsesent the best aspirations and values of the nation and state.

Though i can see that you are aan old member but then i also think that your membership may be a sleeper account.

Anywaz, i am surprised that having spent some time here you still dont know that the rants regarding the military (not the Army) getting the 'biggest budget' have been rubbished umpteenth times on this forum, please take some time out of your 'busy' schedule and go through the relevant threads. i am sure, 'Reality of US aid to Pakistan' and 'top india myths about Pakistan' threads would come handy in this case

Also, you other yaps (military take overs, military's nose poking in policy making etc) are amply discussed in that 'towards an improved fuaj' thread, further, as regards to your bee ess regarding the plots and shopping sprees, i have already posted a link in this very thread for the consumption of your likes so that they dont ruin this thread and rant out their 'concerns' in the relevant threads, ofcourse, i can see that you havent done that. Still, in addition to the link already posted, a thread namely 'what's the pay of a 2/lt' will help you understand the mechanics behind this 'luxury'.

Now as for your 'actual post, well, my simple question is that after b!!tching, moaning and complaining against the Army for 60 plus years, finally today when the Army is doing the samething that our 'bloody' civilians have so long desired (Army keeping away from policy making, army coming out clean, Army accepting the mistakes, army taking a back seat when it comes to the Parliament, army asking/allowing the civilian ELECTED/'popular' leadership to take charge of country's reigns etc), why still the BMCing?!

Xeric

It's so sad that you are actually an officer - now you claim the Pakistan army can't be smart because well, the Pakistani nation is not smart - Youi deserve a kick up your rear and booted out -- and we'll find you among that CIA bunch just arrested-

Yes Muse, this is the mindset that has gradually dragged us down into this dark abysmal hole. The losers are still not ready to come down off their high horse of ignorance and arrogance when we are surrounded by plethora of political and financial problems and our country is fighting the war for its every existence.

On one hand we have our weak political institutions (thanks to our army) and immature politicians (I still think they are as immature and corrupt as any politician in this world) and on the other hand we have our wannabe Mansteins, Guderians and Clausewitzs. We've really gotten stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I remember what had to be done on this forum to advicate the military act in Swat and the opposition from Xeric - I think he does not think as much as we might like -- And to add insult to injury - they say we are dumb so how can we have a smart army -- really that this guy and others like him represent the Pakistan army on international fora, we the people of Pakistan don't stand a chance -- anyway, there are more reasonable, more sane voices:

What the corps commanders’ conference did not say

By Shaukat Qadir
Published: June 16, 2011

The writer is a retired brigadier and a former president of the Islamabad Policy Research Institute.

Before assessing what the press release issued after the 139th corps commanders’ conference on June 9 said or did not say, it is essential to review the backdrop in which this conference took place and the impact of the events of the past six weeks on the people of Pakistan.

In all fairness, I am compelled to precede the foregoing by narrating a few facts of significance. In November 2007, General Kayani inherited a demoralised and dysfunctional army; one that was viewed with disrespect by the Pakistani people. Within a year, he had turned it on its head, recreating the efficient fighting force that it used to be, restoring, not only the soldiers’ self-respect but also their respect in the eyes of ordinary citizens: No mean achievement.

By 2009, the nation stood united behind the military, enabling it to undertake two remarkably successful operations to reclaim Swat and South Waziristan Agency. Kayani was on top of the army’s pinnacle. Even the Raymond Davis affair reflected creditably on the army/ISI who had successfully got rid of ‘rogue CIA’ elements walking our streets and killing at will.

The problem with riding a pinnacle that high is that if you fall, the fall is long and very hard.

On May 2, Navy SEALs violated our territorial sovereignty, penetrated as deep as Abbottabad and reportedly killed Osama bin Laden, who had been in hiding in a house a couple of kilometres from the Pakistan Military Academy, and escaped unchallenged. The real truth of this event is irrelevant; the act is what matters.

As soon as the Pakistani public recovered from this stunning piece of information, their first response was a sense of outrage. Outrage that the US could carry out such an attack unchallenged and without the knowledge of the military/ISI; outrage that Osama could have been housed in a cantonment like Abbottabad, without the knowledge of the army/ISI, accusations of complicity/incompetence flew as wildly domestically as they were being raised abroad. But, most of all, a feeling of deep agony and betrayal, that the military they had held in such esteem was not even capable of discovering and responding to such a raid. Had PAF planes taken to the air in time, even if only to be shot down; had the army reacted in time, even if only to be killed, the agony would have been less.

As if that wasn’t enough, within days, suicidal attacks avenging Osama’s death started and, exactly three weeks later, PNS Mehran was attacked; a naval base housing extremely valuable assets which were destroyed. The naval chief informed the public that it “was not a security lapse”! How gullible he must think us to be? But the people received another message: ‘Your armed forces cannot even guard their own precious assets’.

Once again the question of the safety of our nuclear assets is under debate: Abroad, and in every drawing room in Pakistan!

To add slime to the mud was the foul murder of Saleem Shahzad. Personally, I don’t think it was committed by the ISI merely because, given the intense pressure that it currently is under, it would be stupid of it to do so and to leave the body to be found; and General Pasha is anything but stupid! However, my view is irrelevant; public perception isn’t.

It is in this backdrop that the press release has to be viewed.

Clarifying the question of how much US aid has been received and how much has gone to the military was important. And the suggestion that funds intended for the military be diverted to improve the lot of the people is a good gesture, but the most significant comment was the concluding one; “Pakistan’s internal situation is the most important factor and it cannot be relegated in priority. Army leadership reaffirmed its resolve to continue supporting the democratic system without any preference to any particular political party. It is also determined to lead the fight on terror in partnership with other law enforcement agencies and in line with the Constitution”.

It was important that support to democracy be restated and that this support was not to the exclusion of any political party. It was also important to reaffirm the resolve to fight the scourge of terrorism.

The earlier comment in the press release, implying the military’s acceptance of the supremacy of elected leaders, might be superfluous and, given the state of our democratic environment, difficult to swallow.

However, this press release was, quite obviously, addressed to the public; and in that respect, woefully inadequate.
That military to military relations (with the US) will have to be reassessed; or an appeal to the public to refrain from maligning the armed forces is not reassuring, nor is it likely to have a visible impact. Nor is it sufficient to restate the opposition to drone strikes.

The people needed to hear a more positive, confident response; one that openly acknowledges errors, even if without detailed explanation, and one that offers reassurances for the future and promise of action.

Implying that the government will formulate a policy on drone attacks is almost laughable. It is an open secret that governmental response to US demands is never negative; if there is any resistance to the US, as CIA Director Leon Panetta’s most recent visit again reminded us, it comes from the GHQ/ISI. If drone attacks are to be permitted only to ‘take out’ high value targets, with permission of the GHQ/ISI, the PAF should be visible, patrolling the skies.

The military’s image has again hit an all-time low. If it is to be rebuilt, the GHQ will need to speak confidently to reassure the people and demonstrate its will by following words with action. Palliatives will not suffice; it is time to stand tall; respond openly to questions being raised on the military’s ability to deliver; and, most importantly, to deliver.

This nation stood united behind the military, leading to its success; it must be won over again. This is doable, but not through such press releases.

One does not ask for respect one earns it by action. In my view army has not yet earned that respect. If they remain out of politics and concentrate on their original job i.e. to defend the motherland and show their professionalism than they shall earn it. The image that has come out after May 2, 2011 shall take some thime to improve.

I take your point, you imagine "professionalism" defined as it is in the West -- the Pakistan army, to my thinking, must not be in this mold, rather it should take the mold as it's takeoff point -- Pakistan, the nation/society and state are not in the West, do not have the history and historical development of the West - it's nation is unique on to itself, and it is a nation that needs and can use a friend - not one outside it, but one of it, one that represents it's best.

Don't get me wrong, I do take your point and am not suggesting it is illegitmate, the point I was making was that like any other nation, Pakistan is unique, and where it is as far as national experience, a national army because of the kinds of decisions it can take, can repsesent the best aspirations and values of the nation and state.

Sir, I understand what you are saying, but its a high standard you are setting. In theory sounds good, but impractical. Army guys are just like any other govt officers, they have limitations. Hence they should stay out of running the country and businesses. (Hnece even govts should minimise running the country and businesses. The model is inefficient and breeds corruption.)

The real problem right now you are facing is that the institutions are weak because of army interference. Its a difficult phase, but I suppose these things take time, and I know it can't be easy, still waiting after 60 years...

We face the same frustrations in India too, may be to a slightly lesser degree. But I don't want the Indian army to be more than a service provider, an enabler. I believe thats the best way out.

Though i can see that you are aan old member but then i also think that your membership may be a sleeper account.

Thanks for looking me up Sir. Though lazy but not exactly a sleeper account I must say. I find it best to whimper when it seems that I could add to an opinion. Instead of my account being legitimate, let us focus on whether the discussion is worthy.

Anywaz, i am surprised that having spent some time here you still dont know that the rants regarding the military (not the Army) getting the 'biggest budget' have been rubbished umpteenth times on this forum, please take some time out of your 'busy' schedule and go through the relevant threads. i am sure, 'Reality of US aid to Pakistan' and 'top india myths about Pakistan' threads would come handy in this case

Why waste words. Please peruse of the following analysis of the budget of the dumb nation that does not deserve a smart army!! It is from a bloody civilian press though, do not know how much this is going to count. Phew, what has the world come to? Questioning the Pakistani Army, I mean!!

Army’s one-day spending equivalent to one-year education ministry budget
Umar Cheema
Sunday, June 05, 2011
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan spends Rs1.35 billion per day over the three armed forces just under the head of salaries and operating expenses only, Rs8.60 million daily on the president and prime minister, Rs7.8 million per day on the Senate and National Assembly but a paltry amount of three lakh rupees per day to take care of human rights, show the budget documents.

It further discloses that the Army’s one-day spending is equivalent to the running year’s total allocation for education ministry, and the air-force’s per day expenditures far exceedwhat was allocated to the health ministry for running the financial year ending this month.

In the new financial year, as many as Rs495.215 billion has been allocated for the armed services only and the amount to be spent on the purchase and maintenance of military hardware is apart from thist. Going by the above cited figure means that Rs1.35 billion is spent on the three armed services each day.

A further break-up indicates that Rs640.37 million will be utilized by the Army per day; a sum equivalent to the running year’s budgetary allocation for the ministry of education. Although the ministry has been devolved now with no new allocation made under its head, last year’s budget for the ministry was Rs640 million which means Rs1.7 million a day. The allocated amount for the entire year for the education ministry last year, Rs640 million, is spent in a day by the Army for meeting its salaries and operating expenses only.

Likewise, the health ministry’s running year’s budget was less than the one-day spending of the air force. The ministry that has also been devolved now got budgetary allocation of Rs269 million for 2010-2011 whereas the air force’s per day spending is Rs290.86 million. Pakistan Navy’s spending per day is Rs141.80 million.

How much is spent on the ISI, the premier intelligence agency, is anybody’s guess as the budgetary allocation for the agency is not included in the amount specified for the armed forces.

The PML-N had demanded a debate on the defence budget and the allocations for the intelligence agencies, but the point has neither been taken seriously by the government nor pressed further by the major opposition party.

In addition to the massive defence spending, the expenditures of the prime minister and president also raise many eyebrows. The prime minister of Pakistan, for example, spends an amount of Rs4.3 million per day on foreign tours and the president around one million of rupees.

According to the budgetary allocation, the daily expenses of the Prime Minister Secretariat are Rs1.5 million in addition to Rs4.3 million each day that goes towards spending on the PM and his delegations’ foreign tours.

Likewise, the presidency’s budgetary allocation shows that a sum of Rs931,506.85 will be spent per day on his foreign tour and Rs1.322 million on the presidential secretariat. An accumulated amount of the president and PM’s expense is Rs8.60 million per day. Next comes the Senate and National Assembly Secretariat which constitute a total amount of Rs7.8 million per day. Going by that figure it shows that tax-payers would be spending five million rupees on the National Assembly Secretariat each day and Rs2.8 millions per day over Senate.

This massive spending is in contrast with the plight of human rights in Pakistan and the government’s non-serious attitude towards it. The next financial year’s budget indicates that a meagre sum of Rs110 million has been allocated which means three lakh rupees per day. Again, this amount has been allocated for employees’ related expenses as otherwise the ministry of human rights has no presence on the ground.

This is in contrast with the plight of human rights in a country like ours where even journalists are killed like dogs and cats.

An official of the ministry said they don’t have sufficient budget to create awareness, and conduct fact-finding missions. Most of the paperwork is done through media reports as neither the ministry has transport nor enough staff members to verify facts about human rights abuses taking places.
Army

Also, you other yaps (military take overs, military's nose poking in policy making etc) are amply discussed in that 'towards an improved fuaj' thread, further, as regards to your bee ess regarding the plots and shopping sprees, i have already posted a link in this very thread for the consumption of your likes so that they dont ruin this thread and rant out their 'concerns' in the relevant threads, ofcourse, i can see that you havent done that. Still, in addition to the link already posted, a thread namely 'what's the pay of a 2/lt' will help you understand the mechanics behind this 'luxury'.

Now as for your 'actual post, well, my simple question is that after b!!tching, moaning and complaining against the Army for 60 plus years, finally today when the Army is doing the samething that our 'bloody' civilians have so long desired (Army keeping away from policy making, army coming out clean, Army accepting the mistakes, army taking a back seat when it comes to the Parliament, army asking/allowing the civilian ELECTED/'popular' leadership to take charge of country's reigns etc), why still the BMCing?!

Looks like that "being on the backseat" seems to be deigning a favour to the Pakistani populace. Is that so Sire? The army is supposed to tow the line that the bloody civilians tell it to. That is the job of the army and that is why it is paid. It is not paid to pluck the elected government out of the seat at their whim and fancy. Strange that you are bemoaning the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the institutions that the Pakistani army has with its regular intereference turned in to an ineffective and operationally impotent bunch! Why should the average Pakistani take the blame for what Zia did or what Yahya did or what Musharraf did in Kargill and later in Pakistan? The average Pakistani could be held responsible for what Bhutto did or what Benazir did or what Nawaz did or what Zardari is doing today because the Pakistanis elected them. The army has not business trying to load their inefficiency and incompetency on the average Pakistani by saying that it is the dumb Pakistanis who deserve the dumb army.

Abbottabad was not because of Zardari, neither was Mehran, nor is the drone strike in Waziristans yesterday. If the army was so apolitical, why would Panetta meet just the Generals and leave? Bureaucrats do not meet solely Generals in any other democracy worth its salt!

You got to try better Sir if you want to continue deflecting the blame of the mess that Army created on the poor bloody civilians. Turds are not floating!! I can bring up a lot of information and facts if you would like. But possibly you would like to keep it a general discussion I think. (?)

Thanks for looking me up Sir. Though lazy but not exactly a sleeper account I must say. I find it best to whimper when it seems that I could add to an opinion. Instead of my account being legitimate, let us focus on whether the discussion is worthy.
There was no need to look you up, you are all over the place.

Why waste words. Please peruse of the following analysis of the budget of the dumb nation that does not deserve a smart army!! It is from a bloody civilian press though, do not know how much this is going to count. Phew, what has the world come to? Questioning the Pakistani Army, I mean!!

Army’s one-day spending equivalent to one-year education ministry budget
Umar Cheema
Sunday, June 05, 2011
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan spends Rs1.35 billion per day over the three armed forces just under the head of salaries and operating expenses only, Rs8.60 million daily on the president and prime minister, Rs7.8 million per day on the Senate and National Assembly but a paltry amount of three lakh rupees per day to take care of human rights, show the budget documents.

It further discloses that the Army’s one-day spending is equivalent to the running year’s total allocation for education ministry, and the air-force’s per day expenditures far exceedwhat was allocated to the health ministry for running the financial year ending this month.

In the new financial year, as many as Rs495.215 billion has been allocated for the armed services only and the amount to be spent on the purchase and maintenance of military hardware is apart from thist. Going by the above cited figure means that Rs1.35 billion is spent on the three armed services each day.

A further break-up indicates that Rs640.37 million will be utilized by the Army per day; a sum equivalent to the running year’s budgetary allocation for the ministry of education. Although the ministry has been devolved now with no new allocation made under its head, last year’s budget for the ministry was Rs640 million which means Rs1.7 million a day. The allocated amount for the entire year for the education ministry last year, Rs640 million, is spent in a day by the Army for meeting its salaries and operating expenses only.

Likewise, the health ministry’s running year’s budget was less than the one-day spending of the air force. The ministry that has also been devolved now got budgetary allocation of Rs269 million for 2010-2011 whereas the air force’s per day spending is Rs290.86 million. Pakistan Navy’s spending per day is Rs141.80 million.

How much is spent on the ISI, the premier intelligence agency, is anybody’s guess as the budgetary allocation for the agency is not included in the amount specified for the armed forces.

The PML-N had demanded a debate on the defence budget and the allocations for the intelligence agencies, but the point has neither been taken seriously by the government nor pressed further by the major opposition party.

In addition to the massive defence spending, the expenditures of the prime minister and president also raise many eyebrows. The prime minister of Pakistan, for example, spends an amount of Rs4.3 million per day on foreign tours and the president around one million of rupees.

According to the budgetary allocation, the daily expenses of the Prime Minister Secretariat are Rs1.5 million in addition to Rs4.3 million each day that goes towards spending on the PM and his delegations’ foreign tours.

Likewise, the presidency’s budgetary allocation shows that a sum of Rs931,506.85 will be spent per day on his foreign tour and Rs1.322 million on the presidential secretariat. An accumulated amount of the president and PM’s expense is Rs8.60 million per day. Next comes the Senate and National Assembly Secretariat which constitute a total amount of Rs7.8 million per day. Going by that figure it shows that tax-payers would be spending five million rupees on the National Assembly Secretariat each day and Rs2.8 millions per day over Senate.

This massive spending is in contrast with the plight of human rights in Pakistan and the government’s non-serious attitude towards it. The next financial year’s budget indicates that a meagre sum of Rs110 million has been allocated which means three lakh rupees per day. Again, this amount has been allocated for employees’ related expenses as otherwise the ministry of human rights has no presence on the ground.

This is in contrast with the plight of human rights in a country like ours where even journalists are killed like dogs and cats.

An official of the ministry said they don’t have sufficient budget to create awareness, and conduct fact-finding missions. Most of the paperwork is done through media reports as neither the ministry has transport nor enough staff members to verify facts about human rights abuses taking places.
Army
^^i knew that would be the best you would come up with.

But then does this negates the fact that 60-70% of our budget goes in debt servicing and PSDP? "Debt servicing and PSDP constitute 60-70% of the National Budget, another 19% is spent on General Public Services. Only 16 % of the National Budget is spent on Defence Forces which comes to 2.7% of our GDP (2010-11)

Or does this negate the fact that Armed Forces contribute an average 60-70% of the allocated budget annually, towards National economy by way of taxes and foreign remittances. Army contributed Rs 146.8 Bn against budget allocation of Rs 146 Bn for year 2009/10. - that's to say, the Army didnt put ANY load on the National Budget and thus a common Pakistan, is that what indian army do?

Or does this negate the fact that this year too the defence budget (though increased from the last year) is within the lines?

Or does this negate the fact that out of the the often quoted figure of US $ 13-15 Billion utilised by the Army in last ten years which is misplaced, the GoP under the head of Coalition Support Fund (CSF), against a total sum of US $ 13 Billion expected from the US, has received only US $ 8.6 Billion and that he Government had further made available only US $ 1.4 Billion to the Army over last ten years. A relatively smaller amount has gone to Navy and PAF as well. The rest i.e. approximately US $ 6 Billion, have been utilised by the Government of Pakistan for budgetary support which ultimately means the people of Pakistan (The figures quoted here have been reconciled with the Ministry of Finance)?

Or does it negate the fact that the Fauji Foundation provides:

-Welfare services include free Healthcare, Subsidized Education, Education Stipends, Vocational and Technical training.

- Has contributed approx. Rs. 34 billion (USD 572 million) to the national exchequer in the form of taxes, duties, and levies in FY2008.

-Expenditure on Welfare Services is over Rs. 23.8 billion since inception; in FY2008 Welfare Expenditure was Rs. 2.6 billion (USD 42 million).

-Approx. 41,112 students enrolled in the FF Education System.

-Treat approx. 2.3 million patients per year through our Healthcare Services.

-Fauji Group currently employs approx. 12,411 people.
Fauji Foundation

See, manipulating the facts will only get to so far! How about i start comparing poors inside india with that of africa? Does that sound arguable?

Looks like that "being on the backseat" seems to be deigning a favour to the Pakistani populace. Is that so Sire? The army is supposed to tow the line that the bloody civilians tell it to. That is the job of the army and that is why it is paid. It is not paid to pluck the elected government out of the seat at their whim and fancy. Strange that you are bemoaning the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the institutions that the Pakistani army has with its regular intereference turned in to an ineffective and operationally impotent bunch! Why should the average Pakistani take the blame for what Zia did or what Yahya did or what Musharraf did in Kargill and later in Pakistan? The average Pakistani could be held responsible for what Bhutto did or what Benazir did or what Nawaz did or what Zardari is doing today because the Pakistanis elected them. The army has not business trying to load their inefficiency and incompetency on the average Pakistani by saying that it is the dumb Pakistanis who deserve the dumb army.

Abbottabad was not because of Zardari, neither was Mehran, nor is the drone strike in Waziristans yesterday. If the army was so apolitical, why would Panetta meet just the Generals and leave? Bureaucrats do not meet solely Generals in any other democracy worth its salt!

You got to try better Sir if you want to continue deflecting the blame of the mess that Army created on the poor bloody civilians. Turds are not floating!! I can bring up a lot of information and facts if you would like. But possibly you would like to keep it a general discussion I think. (?)

Ahh..the usual rant again that too without getting ones fact straight.

The military had towed the line because the politicians failed to come up to the standards that were expected out of them.

The american generals meet pakistan generals because the likes of Zardari and Gillani has sanctioned so, they infact dont want to meet them, they infact want the Army to tackle the issue and in case it back fires, they want that then the Army should face the music and they could again come up with new slogans and get elected.

The policy is very clear on the drone attacks, the military says NO to the drones, and it has asked/requested the Govt to tell them to bring them down, my signatures would clear it further, because bringing down a USAF marked drone is not routine affair, it would result in a backlash, which the Army and PAF wants the Nation to perepare for and for which the orders/instruction must come from the elected officials. What;s so hard to understand in that? But you wont understand, i know, because the purpose of your debate is not legit!

And now when the Army wants to civilian leadership to step ahead and take charge of the this, why feel gloomy now? Why dont grow the balls and do it? The Army did wha it had to. It was not the Army that created talibans, it was the CIA, but at the that time it were your heroes, it were the saviours of Capitalism and everyone including yourself praise it because the Superpower wanted them to be respected, and now when they are biting back, they want them to be hated. Well guess what, we are hating them, we have lost 5000 uniforms and 35000 civies while we fought them, so why the BMCing now? Cant handle too much respect and authority, i guess?

P.S. Bring on the 'lot of info', let's see what you have got in your kitty, but if that 'info' of yours would have been discussed before on this forum, then you deserve no response from our side, no counter arguments and respect at all! And yes, try to keep pace with the happenings and developments in your surroundings and also the discussion that it yields, it is always the basic rule of any discussion to go further, or else one lands up Bing, Ming and Cing and running in circles, which ofcourse is LAME!

Bring up something new, which has not be discussed or else have the courage to discuss the old things in the relevant threads, that's another rule of open foruming, if you didnt know it previously.

....the [political] institutions are weak because of army interference. ....

This is an old beaten up argument, and still refuses to go away.

Dear FATEH, institutions become strong or weak from WITHIN.

Blaming others for your own weaknesses is just pathetic at best.

Every institutions has to bring up new blood and new leadership every two years.

Mind you, new blood doesn't mean son or daughter of the reigning "king". No institution should be "maee baap ki jageer". There must be a system in place to "retire" the top leadership "while they are alive", and place a new set of leadership on regular basis.

In Pakistani context, just look around and see which institutions are "maee baap ki jageer". Typically those are the place that have become weak.

As I said, do not blame others. Look into your own gariban first.

peace.

dude, please!
you are not on orkut or some entertainment community sitewhere you can post all this rubbish!

i am a textle engineer from Taxila. my father in an mechaniclal engineer here. now if you know some pakistani geography (other then your 3rd rock) you can better guess which organization he is in. my uncle in army colonel. half of my family is directly or indirectly linked with forces but this cannot make me turn blind.
go to other threads and see the post, i have always been a strong follower or armed forces of pakistan. what we are trying to do here is a healthy debate in which, sorry to say, i dont think you fit in!!

BE CAREFUL WHILE POSING SUCH STUPID REMARKS

Asalan Aslam

Since you mentioned there that you studied textile engineering and your father is also an engineer, let me remind you on the following

Let me take you back a couple of years to University of Engineering and Technology in Lahore where thugs associated with political parties would cause strikes and get papers cancelled , it was impossible to finish the degree in 4 years because these disturbances made it impossible to finish up the degree

Again it was the military ( an ex-military man to be precise ) who was brought in to sort out the mess

Today if the UETs are sorted it is greatly due to the work that the military put in to bring these uneducated political hooligans under some sort of control

Now tell me that what I’m saying is not true !!

its derailed and going off track.
all we needde to disucss was the need of forces to come in and do not let the worst happen to nation and the reason why they are not doong it.

out of some stupid posts and some very respectable members backing these trollers, the main reason and mind set to continue this debate seemed to have died.

apologize to you all, Sir Zeric, Muse, Santro and all!

regards!
Arsalan Aslam

Since you mentioned there that you studied textile engineering and your father is also an engineer, let me remind you on the following

Let me take you back a couple of years to University of Engineering and Technology in Lahore where thugs associated with political parties would cause strikes and get papers cancelled , it was impossible to finish the degree in 4 years because these disturbances made it impossible to finish up the degree

Again it was the military ( an ex-military man to be precise ) who was brought in to sort out the mess

Today if the UETs are sorted it is greatly due to the work that the military put in to bring these uneducated political hooligans under some sort of control

Now tell me that what I’m saying is not true !!

i guess i have not explained my point or you have not cared to understand.
you are right, that what i am askeing for, that what they should do. they are part of the nation.

all i was asking was that army must keep up with the ceck and ensure that no on (particularly the politicians) are sabotaging our national intrests and development. it seems that they are backing off from this role and this makes them to be held equally responsible for all the bad that is going on!!

by the way, ia am not from UET, i done my enginerring from NTU Faisalabad! :)

regards!

I understand what you are saying, but its a high standard you are setting. In theory sounds good, but impractical. Army guys are just like any other govt officers, they have limitations. Hence they should stay out of running the country and businesses. (Hnece even govts should minimise running the country and businesses. The model is inefficient and breeds corruption.)

I agree with keeping out of the running govt business, what I was pointing to when I suggested that the army/armed forces can be a leader protecting and furthering the best aspirations of the Pakistani nation and state, was it's social role, for instance, gender equality is a societal value that we can all agree is universal and is particularly weak in Pakistan, however, the Pakistan armed forces have been a national leader in accepting and promoting such equality by opening themselves to greater participation of women -- and regardless of problems along the way, the way in which they may deal with such problems, can be a model for other institutions, public and private, in society -- best aspirations of the Pakistani nation and state are reflected in the societal values the nation and state OUGHT to pursue....I would argue that it is the same with policies, we simply cannot escape the issues of values and their promotion, because one way or another, we are always picking and choosing one value or set of values over others and we are ordering and reordering these values in terms of priority - again, if the armed forces regulations with regard to Law and Justice are seen as promoting a humane approach or a severe legalistic approach, to the question of punishment, this too has a huge impact on society at large because of the size of the institution and the public's perception of the institution.

Consider, had the the armed forces actually done a tremendous job at managing the economy, or at ensuring good governance or the provision of governmental services, or checking corruption in government and private sectors, or simply upholding or even voicing concern supporting the notion that all citizens should be equal before the law, would these "values" not represent the aspirations of the nation and thereby bind the armed forces to the pubic and also paint public perception of the armed forces in a positive light? (oh wait, that would have meant a "smart" army and we can't have that because we are dumb)

This is an old beaten up argument, and still refuses to go away.

Dear FATEH, institutions become strong or weak from WITHIN.

Blaming others for your own weaknesses is just pathetic at best.

Every institutions has to bring up new blood and new leadership every two years.

Mind you, new blood doesn't mean son or daughter of the reigning "king". No institution should be "maee baap ki jageer". There must be a system in place to "retire" the top leadership "while they are alive", and place a new set of leadership on regular basis.

In Pakistani context, just look around and see which institutions are "maee baap ki jageer". Typically those are the place that have become weak.

As I said, do not blame others. Look into your own gariban first.

peace.

Well I thought I was for once supporting Xeric, but looks like the army interference part got stuck

First of all, govts and armies too, should not run businesses. That idea is inherently corrupt. So I don't blame Army for loss making PSUs, that was not my point.

Secondly, what institutions are needed to mature for successfully running a young country? (And this process takes a long time in our countries riddled with poverty and illiteracy, there is no magic wand). These would be

Democratic process - army coups
Judiciary - army interference, Bhutto hanging to the latest one
Education - Zia's brilliant contribution
Media - only this month many reporters have narrated their own experiences of army / ISI interference

These institutions have suffered greatly, yes and Army IS responsible. How is this not crystal clear??? I mean whats there to debate here???

Sure govts are corrupt, bureaucrats are incomepetent, judges can be influenced and media profit seeking, but the whole premise of my argument is that these things should improve with time, better education etc. These institutions put together are a check on each other. But these very basic requirements have been denied.

Back
Top Bottom