What's new

Pakistan will receive the first batch of SH-1 155mm self-propelled howitzer this year

As per the deal M-109A5 were to be delivered during 2007 and I have not heard any news about the delay in delivery or otherwise. Therefore it is safe to assume these have been delivered to Pakistan.

As per the deal M-109A5 were to be delivered during 2007 and I have not heard any news about the delay in delivery or otherwise. Therefore it is safe to assume these have been delivered to Pakistan.

I live near cantt station - khi and about 2 weeks ago, 2 freight trains were loaded with ~25 guns for multan / kharian.

"PZH and Firtina would be destroyed by artillery fire as well, but in SH-1's case it can "shoot and scoot" to avoid counter fire at 90 km/hr"

Bro, I do not think same with you. Tracked Howitzers are always perform more protection than Wheeled ones against many threats. Anyhow, No suspect that Trackeds are more capable than wheeled ones out of paved ways, in muddy and hilly areas. I think, The main advantages of wheeled ones are the speed factors. Example; While SH-1 has a speed about 90km/h, T-155 Firtina reachs 70km/h. but If we assess the speed factor with muddy-hilly field manouvrability out of paved ways, We can think that Trackeds are more operational than wheeled ones in real battlefields.

If you check the moves of T-155 firtina over the snowy paved and muddy roads in this video, It can be understand more clear. We can not hope a Wheeled howitzers to perform same manoeuvrability over the same road with snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the "Firtina" Come with a Motorcycle Helmet?

Last edited:
PZH and Firtina would be destroyed by artillery fire as well, but in SH-1's case it can "shoot and scoot" to avoid counter fire at 90 km/hr. Also these systems are very expensive, if tracked SP platform is required, I think PLZ 04/05 would be ideal choice.

"Shoot and scoot" is the basic idea with tracked SPGs as well and they carry a bit more armour than SH-1.

Some more information from Sengupta's blog:

During the just concluded visit to China of Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Islamabad and Beijing inked a contract under which the Pakistan Army will procure an initial 36 A-100E 300mm multi-barrel rocket launchers and two SLC-2 active phased-array weapons locating radars. This follows the round of competitive evaluations conducted by the Pakistan Army of the A-100E and the competing AR-2, another 300mm MBRL also of Chinese origin. Also expected to be procured in future from China are approximately 90 SH-1 155mm/52-calibre motorised howitzers. The A-100E, developed by China Precision Machinery Import-Export Corp (CPMIEC), comprises a 300mm 10-tube launch vehicle, reloading vehicle and command-and-control vehicles, all of which are mounted on the WS-2400 8 x 8 wheeled chassis. All 10 rockets can be fired within 60 seconds, and it can be reloaded in 20 minutes. The NORINCO-built AR-2 MBRL, on the other hand, has 12 launch tubes from which rockets armed with a wide variety of warheads are fired. The warhead options include fragmentation sub-munitions warhead, anti-tank mine scattering warhead, shaped-charge fragmentation submunitions warhead, separable HE-fragmentation warhead, fuel-air explosive warhead, and HE-fragmentation warhead.

The NORINCO-built SH-1 motorised 155mm/52-calibre howitzer underwent extensive mobility and firepower trials last December in Pakistan’s Northern Areas, and underwent similar field trials last June in the Thar Desert. The SH-1 can fire rocket-assisted V-LAP projectiles out to 53km, as well as laser-guided projectiles like NORINCO’s ‘Red Mud’ and KBP Instrument Design Bureau’s Krasnopol-M2. The SH-1 can also fire base-bleed 155mm rounds out to 42.5km, and its truck chassis houses a fibre-optic gyro-based north positioning-cum-navigation system, battlespace management system, autonomous orientation-cum-muzzle velocity radar, gun loader’s display-cum-ramming control box, ammunition box housing 25 rounds (of seven different types) and their modular charges, and a network-centric artillery fire direction system.

A complete SH-1 Regiment comprises 24 SH-1s, four Battery Command Post vehicles, one Battalion Command Post vehicle, one road-mobile CETC-built JY-30 C-band meteorological radar, four 6 x 6 wheeled reconnaissance vehicles, and an S-band CETC-built SLC-2 artillery locating-cum-fire correction radar.

Last year on September 9, the Pakistan Army accepted at its Nowshera-based School of Artillery the first of twelve 18-tonne T-155 Panter 155mm/52-calibrre towed howitzers from Turkey’s state-owned Machines and Chemical Industry Board (MKEK). The Panter was co-developed in the late 1990s by MKEK and Singapore Technologies Kinetics. For producing the 155mm family of munitions, Wah Cantonment-based Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) has teamed up with South Korea’s Poongsan and on April 12 this year, Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani symbolically received the first lot of licence-assembled K-307 BB-HE and K-310 155mm BB dual purpose improvised conventional munitions (DPICM) Ammunition from POF Chairman Pakistan Lt Gen Syed Sabahat Hussain.

TRISHUL: Pakistan Army Upgrades Its Field Artillery Prowess

Unless the fire control is pathetic, the idea of wheeled and tracked SP Guns is to shoot and scoot. This is also possible with towed arty.

Which is best is defined by the terrain you intend to fight in and your operational intent.

A mix of track, wheeled and towed is sensible considering Pakistan's situation.

One point on towed it should be, if possible, air portable by helo.

1. Not sure if the low number implies a 'dislike' rather than use for evaluations - it may still be in the running for future acquisitions.

2. Firtina is tracked, and its seems the PA is considering wheeled SP artillery (more mobility).

3. 56 million for 115 M109A5 howitzers seems pretty good, especially since they would have commonality with the existing M109A2's.

A question, how many M109 does PA currently have and which model e.g. A3 and when will PA get M109 A5 from US,
THANKS

"PZH and Firtina would be destroyed by artillery fire as well, but in SH-1's case it can "shoot and scoot" to avoid counter fire at 90 km/hr"

Bro, I do not think same with you. Tracked Howitzers are always perform more protection than Wheeled ones against many threats. Anyhow, No suspect that Trackeds are more capable than wheeled ones out of paved ways, in muddy and hilly areas. I think, The main advantages of wheeled ones are the speed factors. Example; While SH-1 has a speed about 90km/h, T-155 Firtina reachs 70km/h. but If we assess the speed factor with muddy-hilly field manouvrability out of paved ways, We can think that Trackeds are more operational than wheeled ones in real battlefields.

If you check the moves of T-155 firtina over the snowy paved and muddy roads in this video, It can be understand more clear. We can not hope a Wheeled howitzers to perform same manoeuvrability over the same road with snow.

98PDjNIuc2M[/media] - F?rt?na Türk Obüsü Gururumuz

Asalaam alikum wr wb Turk brother;

MASHALLAH very impressive, the only Snowy places where pakistan army is most likely to use T-155 Firtina would be in jammu & Kashmir or in northern province of NWFP if our western border is violated by sophisticated enemy. I would fully invest and trust wholeheartely in purchasing both turkish 155mm howitzers rather than purchasing from the betraying amercians.

Pak-Turkey Brotherhood Long Live !..May we both play instrumental role in reviving Islamic Caliphate ...Ameen

:pakistan:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Not sure if the low number implies a 'dislike' rather than use for evaluations - it may still be in the running for future acquisitions.

2. Firtina is tracked, and its seems the PA is considering wheeled SP artillery (more mobility).

3. 56 million for 115 M109A5 howitzers seems pretty good, especially since they would have commonality with the existing M109A2's.

Cabatli,

A few points.

M109A5's ordered by Pakistan are not the Paladin version. That is M109A6. As AM pointed out, between our A2s and A5s, there is commonality. Also these are tracked vehicles for use with the armoured formations that are part of the Pakistani Strike Corps.

Secondly, as far as not follow on orders on the Panter, I suspect two things:
i) Either we are evaluating other options before making a call, or,
ii) The Panter is considerably more expensive than the other options (we would require pretty significant number of 155 guns considering that our 130mm inventory is close to a thousand guns).

I think there will be more follow-on orders for the Panter if 12 have been purchased. Because 12 guns do not even complete a field Artillery unit in the Pakistan Army. Sounds like continuing evaluation.

As a child, pre-1965, I can remember the early, short-tubed models of the M109 at my father's kaserne in W. Germany. As a young artillery officer in 1980, one of the battalions in my artillery brigade (75th F.A. Brigade) was STILL short-tube and the rest had just converted in the last couple of years to the M109A1.

That was my first assigned weapon and our first long-tube (18,100m at max charge). By the time I'd left Ft. Sill, we were receiving the M109A2/A3 howitzers.

I'd go to battle in an M109A5 anyday. Make sure to get the FAASV ammo resupply vehicles too. No good without bullets to shoot.

Lots of them.:lol:

Asalaam alikum wr wb Turk brother;

MASHALLAH very impressive, the only Snowy places where pakistan army is most likely to use T-155 Firtina would be in jammu & Kashmir or in northern province of NWFP if our western border is violated by sophisticated enemy. I would fully invest and trust wholeheartely in purchasing both turkish 155mm howitzers rather than purchasing from the betraying amercians.

Pak-Turkey Brotherhood Long Live !..May we both play instrumental role in reviving Islamic Caliphate ...Ameen

:pakistan:

I agree T-155 Firtina would be very useful in North west region of Pakistan bordering Afghanistan.

Long Live Pakistan-Turkey Brotherhood.

i hope pakistan will make a multi million deal with some one about MULTI PURPOSE ROCKET SYSTEM to counter indian smeerch multi purpose rocket system i hope MR KAYANI seriously think about it too we need to enhance it too todays warfare system MULTI PUPOSE ROCKET SYSTEM is most deadlist than regular artillery and can some one tell us what type of rocket system pakistan army is using now

Is Pakistan capable of developing its own SPs or any news of acquiring TOT?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom