What's new

Pakistan will be among hardest-hit economies by coronavirus crisis, says UN report

Kuru

Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan will be among hardest-hit economies by coronavirus crisis, says UN report
ReutersUpdated March 31, 2020
Facebook Count
Twitter Share
5e831aa22a812.png

Mohammad Saeed, 55, father of six and a construction laborer, waits for work during a lockdown after Pakistan shut all markets, public places and discouraged large gatherings amid the outbreak of coronavirus in Karachi on March 31, 2020. — Reuters
Developing countries, including Pakistan, will be hit hardest by the economic shockwaves caused by the novel coronavirus crisis that has shaken the world and will need a support package of up to $2.5 trillion to cope with the damage, a United Nations report has predicted.

According to a report by the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), which was released on Monday, Pakistan, Argentina and the Sub-Saharan African countries would face a "frightening combination" crises including mounting debts, a potential deflationary spiral as well as a disastrous impact on the health sector.

Their economies will take “enormous hit” from high capital outflows, lost export earnings due to falling commodity prices and currency depreciations, with an overall impact likely worse than the 2008 crisis, the report said.

“It's going to be really bad,” said Richard Kozul-Wright, director of globalisation and development strategies at UNCTAD who oversaw the report.

“The international institutions have to take these sorts of proposals very, very seriously as it's the only way that we can see to prevent the damage already taking place and which will get worse,” he added.

In what he said was likely a conservative estimate, Kozul-Wright said the coronavirus would cause a $2-$3 trillion financing deficit over this year and next.

In an early sign of the impact, portfolio outflows from main emerging economies were $59 billion a month between February and March compared to $26.7 billion in the immediate aftermath of the 2008 crisis, the report said.

Developing countries will need a $2.5 trillion support package this year to face the economic crisis, the report said. Needed measures will include a $1 trillion liquidity injection and a $1 trillion debt relief package and another $500 million will be needed for emergency health services and related programmes, on top of capital controls.

The figures in the report titled “The Covid-19 Shock to Developing Countries” echoed an earlier estimate by the International Monetary Fund.

UNCTAD considers around 170 countries to be developing but the financing gap figure stripped out China and South Korea.

“If G20 leaders are to stick to their commitment of 'a global response in the spirit of solidarity', there must be commensurate action for the six billion people living outside the core G20 economies,” Kozul-Wright said.

Leaders of the Group of 20 major economies had pledged on Thursday to inject more than $5 trillion into the global economy to limit job and income losses from the coronavirus and “do whatever it takes to overcome the pandemic”.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1545267/p...conomies-by-coronavirus-crisis-says-un-report

The UN report failed to take into the consideration the extremely important strategic location of Pakistan. Coupled with faith and unity, pakistan will surely overcome this crisis.

Also, as pakistan export is negligible, I fail to see any major impact on Pakistan economy.

Moreover, Imran Khan has already notified many countries and institutions to write off the debt. All seems well right now.

Feel good article for some, huh.

Atleast we're not boasting that we're such a powerful Nation. We acknowledge the issues the Country is facing, however, rest assured we'll bounce back and will most certainly survive.

On the flip side, there are those who can't even afford to provide their own Doctors with Medical Equipment to fight this pandemic.

After this is all over - we'll compare score cards. A lil' bit early to be measuring...

Covid-19 lessons: Leverage is good?
By BR Research on March 31, 2020

Fortunately, (or not), Pakistani businesses are not highly leveraged (credit to GDP is half of India, and one third of Bangladesh), and less reliant on exports (goods exports to GDP amongst ten lowest countries in the world). That is why the economic impact would be less severe than other economies. Consumers are not at all leveraged (outstanding house loans are 70,000-80,000 out of 32 million household). Majority of SME businesses are not bankable in Pakistan – out of estimated 4-5 million SMEs, access to finance is available to 100K-150k. Majority of corporate have access to formal financing; but not many are leveraged.

There is a limit to what regulatory easing by central bank (to jack up banking liquidity), and ease in policy rate can lessen the business worries. Nonetheless, such steps are warranted in days of pandemic. Economic slowdown is expected to remain sticky for a quarter or more. Some businesses are affected more and others are less. The problems vary across sectors and firms' dynamics are different within each sector. There should not be blanket support, and SBP is not offering any.

Last week SBP and Pakistan Banking Council (PBA) deliberated on the relief package and SBP issued a presser on it. Before this issuance, SBP lowered the policy rate by 225 bps to 11 percent. The package is mainly to relax the stringent requirements to create some liquidity. For example, the capital conservation buffer is reduced from 2.5 percent to 1.5 percent. This will allow banks to extend Rs800 billion additional loans.

This is roughly 10 percent of banks commutative loan books. This can be utilized by companies to finance working capital to cover fixed costs. The capital expenditure is not a problem. In days of lockdown, variable cost is zero. The issue is to finance payrolls and other fixed costs. The companies already have cash lines that they can use easily. Those who are bankable (but not currently in borrowing business) can use these. But what about the issues of non-bankable – how will they finance payroll or to meet other needs. These have credit from suppliers, family and friends, and loan sharks. Who will provide them with the needed liquidity?

SBP has increased the limits of SMEs from Rs125 million to Rs180 million permanently. It's good for a tiny fraction of SMEs which are bankable. What about the rest? Perhaps, it's a lesson to learn that being bankable is in their advantage. Similarly, the debt burden of consumers is increased from 50 percent to 60 percent. With 4 percent banking assets are of consumers and having virtually no mortgage depth, this will be of little use. Majority of (lower) middle class have credit from informal sector for bike, electronics and other financing needs. How to ease these?

The lesson to learn is being bankable is good. For those who are, they have some cushions. Especially, for leveraged firms. Principal payment of for borrowers can now be extended for one year. This is a good step and its better than mere lowering rates. Any company that wants to extend the mark up, then the loan must be restructured or rescheduled.

Apart from these, some other easing is to done for companies to acquire additional loans or defer repayments. These are good steps and will ease the problem of big firms, and bankable SMEs. For large pool of informal economy in manufacturing and services, one may hope that informal lending institutions (or mechanism) may adopt similar processes. Probably, they have to while the economy is at a pause.
https://www.brecorder.com/2020/03/31/585236/covid-19-lessons-leverage-is-good/

Private sector debt in Pakistan is very low compared to other EM. CPEC is not going to stop. Are farms are not going to stop producing. There will be some belt tightening for some weeks, but Pakistan can shrug this off better then most countries. I am ok with these UN reports, if it means we get public sector debt assistance by international lenders.

Last edited:
No offense my Pakistani brothers but your economy gets hit by anything. Can someone summarize to me that what are the main problems with your economy? I know the headlines but I don't know the details. It still amazes me that you guys manage to find money to spend on new weapons with this economy...

Last edited:
All countries will be hit hard by Covid19 pandemic and those who are weak would be hardest hit.

Last edited:
No offense my Pakistani brothers but your economy gets hit by anything. Can someone summarize to me that what are the main problems with your economy? I know the headlines but I don't know the details. It still amazes that you guys manage to find money to spend on new weapons with this economy...

5 years ago a normal household would get electricity 8 hours out of 24 hours. Worse for industries.

No offense my Pakistani brothers but your economy gets hit by anything. Can someone summarize to me that what are the main problems with your economy? I know the headlines but I don't know the details. It still amazes that you guys manage to find money to spend on new weapons with this economy...
The main issue is low forex reserves and too much public sector debt. Our exports took a hit from the afghan war spillover a few years ago. Plus USA have been using various economic pressure tactics to try to lean on us with regards to Afghanistan. We also do a bad job at collecting taxes.

Corruption was, is and will be the main problem

The main issue is low forex reserves and too much public sector debt. Our exports took a hit from the afghan war spillover a few years ago. Plus USA and India have been using various economic pressure tactics to try to lean on us with regards to Afghanistan. We also do a bad job at collecting taxes.
Wow it sounds like your economy is really similar to ours. The only difference is that our government is amazing at collecting taxes and bad at anyting else :angry: Seriously It's like we even pay taxes to breathe. Our economy is built on taxes...

It is true. A devastating hit awaits us economically. Now is a good time to blackmail Modi with those photos of him hugging loads of suited men at Davos.

UN and its BS reports. Honestly, UN is a miserable and useless organisation. The fact of the matter is that the whole F* World is suffering due to this corona Scam. Here in Australia, just in one week, One-Million people have lost their jobs, countless businesses have gone bankrupt and this is only the start, and this is gonna become much worse. And this useless organisation UN is pointing fingers at certain countries without any data.

No offense my Pakistani brothers but your economy gets hit by anything. Can someone summarize to me that what are the main problems with your economy? I know the headlines but I don't know the details. It still amazes me that you guys manage to find money to spend on new weapons with this economy...
Since you're not current with our situation, one needs to be aware about a lot issues we've faced over the course of time.

1. WAR (in Afghanistan).
2. Refugees (from Afghanistan) whom we've been feeding for 4 Decades, now.
3. Bad Governance (by past Leaders), who took loans from the IMF & never paid back.
4. Non-Existing Tax Collection.
5. Imports > Exports.

Our Geographic Location also provides us with a great deal of hurdles as we've got great neighbors on all sides that would love to wipe us out. Not happening.

Population with a bad Economy is a factor. We're 5th in Population and Turkey is 18th.

Finally, you raised a point about 'Weapons'. Let me be clear, no matter how bad the Economy may be in Pakistan - the Defense Budget is not a factor. However, our Military often does take cut because they want, not because they have to.

Back
Top Bottom