What's new

Pakistan wants civil nuclear cooperation with France

Nahraf

Reaction score
Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Pakistan, France agree to enhance trade, defence ties
20100803_35.jpg

* Zardari says Pakistan wants serious and substantive engagement in civil nuclear cooperation with France

PARIS: Pakistan and France on Monday moved closer to initiating a framework for strategic dialogue focusing on increased interaction in political, trade and economic areas besides upgrading their defence and security ties.

President Asif Ali Zardari and his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy, who met at Sarkozy’s official residence, agreed to a closer cooperation in jointly fighting terrorism.

Zardari also called for establishing a ministerial-level joint economic commission, aggressive support for preferential access to EU market and parliamentary exchanges to deepen the political understanding between the two countries.

After his meeting with President Sarkozy, Zardari told reporters that he had an “in-depth” discussion with the French president, covering all areas, including terrorism.

“President Sarkozy promised to visit Pakistan soon and we welcome him,” he said, adding that it would help in expansion of their multifaceted bilateral relationship.

The president said the two countries would form a team to work on an agenda for future high-level meetings.

Briefing the media about Zardari’s second visit to France, the president’s spokesman Farhatullah Babar quoted him as saying that Pakistan attached great importance to the ongoing defence cooperation, including the upgrading of Agosta class submarines, with France.

He stressed the need for further strengthening bilateral defence cooperation countries and said Pakistan was also keen on engaging in a serious and substantive engagement in civil nuclear cooperation with France.

The president said Pakistan attached great importance to its relations with France and stressed for comprehensive upgrade of bilateral ties with enhanced trade, investments, sustainable market access and deeper mutual cooperation in other areas that could prove beneficial for both the countries. APP

Pak keen for a civil nuclear cooperation with France: Zardari - Hindustan Times

Pakistan keen for a civil nuclear cooperation with France: Zardari
Press Trust Of India
Islamabad, August 02, 2010
First Published: 23:58 IST(2/8/2010)
Last Updated: 23:59 IST(2/8/2010)

Pakistan is keen on a "serious and substantive engagement" with France in civil nuclear cooperation, President Asif Ali Zardari said on Monday. Zardari, currently on an official visit to France, made the remarks during a meeting with his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy, an official statement
said.

Zardari also called for the early establishment of a framework for a strategic dialogue between the two sides.

Pakistan has stepped up efforts to gain access to civil nuclear technology since its rival India concluded a landmark deal with the US a few years ago.

It has urged the world community to adopt a "non-discriminatory" approach in civil nuclear cooperation.

Zardari is on his second visit to France in 14 months and had raised the issue of civil nuclear cooperation during his last visit too.

During his talks with Sarkozy, Zardari sought the establishment of a ministerial-level Joint Economic Commission, aggressive support for preferential access to EU markets and parliamentary exchanges to deepen political understanding between the two countries.

The President also called for "massive international assistance" to help Pakistan cope with the situation arising out of floods that had washed away hundreds of villages and killed hundreds of people in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.

Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar quoted Zardari as saying that Pakistan attached great importance to ongoing defence cooperation with France, including the upgrade of Agosta submarines.

Zardari also stressed the need to further strengthen defence cooperation between the two countries.

Referring to Pakistan's campaign against militancy, Zardari said his government "had built political consensus and given ownership to the war against terror" even as the country paid a "huge cost in terms of human and material losses".

It was "unfortunate if some people continued to express doubts and misgivings about our will and determination to fight the militants to the finish", he said.

I broke the news already but u will get the credit LOL!
Hope it happens and SPECTRA AVIONIC SUITE Plus marlyn n U 214

I hope Pakistan will get civilian nuclear deal, avionics package and other defence equipment from France. Karachi need two 1000 MW nuclear plants and France could get the deal.

Last edited:
I broke the news already but u will get the credit LOL!
Hope it happens and SPECTRA AVIONIC SUITE Plus marlyn n U 214

Sorry. I did not see your thread. Nonetheless it is important news for Pakistan. I thought Pakistan Navy has already choose German U-214 submarines over French Marlin.

I wish we get something out of Sarkozy too...maybe Zardari make some good move...enhancing some strategic cooporation in defence fields.:coffee:
:pakistan::pdf:

I am sure it is good news for Pakistan and wish you guys all the best for this.

But the story is about what Pakistan (via Pres. Zardari) wants, is there also a comment / commitmnt from the French on this. Because more depends on what they want to give and not what Pakistan wants.....

I ask because whatever is written here is attributed to Zardari / his spokesman. Nothing from the French?

France are ready to sell anyone anywhere. They even sold to Saddam. Otherwise how many French soldier in Afghanistan waiting to surrender??

So thats what they were doing in France! Shah Qureshi, Zardari, bilawal etc.

All in one place, it had to mean something special.

Well, let's hope for the best.

Pakistan can get it but the Only Hurdle is NSG and Uncle SAM.

that is ok for me I was looking towards more RF deal. oh well......

Pakistan zindabad!
Viva la France!

Go Pakistan Go !!!

Go France Go !!!

Ha ha ha

3 months back you guys were rubbishing the french along with their reputation when they held back the avionics package..

Now viva la France.??

And you are quoting Hindustan Times?? Suddenly Indian media is quotable??

Ha ha ha

3 months back you guys were rubbishing the french along with their reputation when they held back the avionics package..

Now viva la France.??

And you are quoting Hindustan Times?? Suddenly Indian media is quotable??

Stop trolling this good thread and keep urself away ur not invited.

Back
Top Bottom