What's new

Pakistan to upgrade the constitutional status of its northern Gilgit-Baltistan region

Masīd

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is mulling upgrading the constitutional status of its northern Gilgit-Baltistan region, which is also claimed by India, in a bid to provide legal cover to a multi-billion-dollar Chinese investment plan, officials said Thursday.

The move could signal a historic shift in Pakistan’s position on the future of the wider Kashmir region, observers have said, dealing another potential blow to fragile peace talk efforts that received a boost after India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Lahore in December.

CPEC: PPP voices concern over neglecting Gilgit-Baltistan

The proposal would see the mountainous region mentioned by name for the first time in Pakistan’s constitution, bringing it one step closer to being fully absorbed as an additional province.

Islamabad has historically insisted the parts of Kashmir it controls are semi-autonomous and has not formally integrated them into the country, in line with its position that a referendum should be carried out across the whole of the region.

Sajjadul Haq, spokesperson for the chief minister of Gilgit-Baltistan Hafiz Hafeez ur Rehman, told AFP: “A high level committee formed by the prime minister is working on the issue, you will hear good news soon.”

Rehman, who arrived in Islamabad Thursday, was working on the finishing touches to the agreement, a senior official said, adding the document could be unveiled “in a few days”.

In addition to being named in the constitution, Gilgit-Baltistan would also send two lawmakers to sit in the federal parliament — though they would be given observer status only.

A third top government official from Gilgit-Baltistan said the move was in response to concerns raised by Beijing about the China Pakistan Economic Corridor, an ambitious $46 billion infrastructure plan set to link China’s western city of Kashgar to the Pakistani port of Gwadar on the Arabian Sea.

Under the wing: G-B lawmakers to receive legislative training

“China cannot afford to invest billions of dollars on a road that passes through a disputed territory claimed both by India and Pakistan,” the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said.

The corridor plans have been strongly criticised by New Delhi, with India’s Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj in June calling the project “unacceptable” for crossing through Indian-claimed territory.

India and Pakistan have fought two full-scale wars over Kashmir, and any changes to the status quo could prove a further setback to hopes for dialogue that were revived after Modi made the historic Lahore visit.

Those efforts were already seen as fragile following a deadly attack on an Indian air base near the Pakistan border Saturday that was followed by a 25-hour siege on an Indian consulate in Afghanistan on Monday.

But according to Pakistani strategic analyst Ayesha Siddiqa, the move could also signal Islamabad’s desire to end the Kashmir conflict by formally absorbing the territory it controls — and, by extension, recognising New Delhi’s claims to parts of the region it controls, such as the Kashmir valley.

“If we begin to absorb it so can India. It legitimises their absorption of the Valley,” she said.

I don't think India would mind this at all, they have historically been inclined towards the status quo and have reiterated their approval of turning the LoC into the International Border. This act will inevitably weaken our case for Kashmir but I believe that depriving the people of GB any longer of a real stake in their country and an identity that they fought to achieve and hold with great pride would be tantamount to a grave injustice. @WAJsal thoughts?

People try to understand, this will not hurt Kashmiri cause in anyway. Basic constitutional status will not hurt Kashmiri cause, representation in NA will not hurt Kashmiri cause, IOK has all these things. In fact Indian constitution states these parts to be it's and 2 seats are reserved for this region. Long overdue, was inevitable. Good step!

I don't think India would mind this at all, they have historically been inclined towards the status quo and have reiterated their approval of turning the LoC into the International Border. This act will inevitably weaken our case for Kashmir but I believe that depriving the people of GB any longer of a real stake in their country and an identity that they fought to achieve and hold with great pride would be tantamount to a grave injustice. @WAJsal thoughts?
Long overdue, good to see. Shame it took us so long. GB as a region is very critical for Pakistan, these people liberated themselves and joined Pakistan, least they deserve is proper rights. Time for celebrations. Again good news, and lets pray for the best!

This act will inevitably weaken our case for Kashmir but I believe that depriving the people of GB any longer of a real stake in their country and an identity that they fought to achieve and hold with great pride would be tantamount to a grave injustice. @WAJsal thoughts?
Incorrect, Pakistan hasn't given GB a provincial status, the structure will be somewhat the same(details needed). Though i wouldn't say that. It is to note that Pakistan was always criticized internationally for not proving basic rights and it had also created a sense of deprivation among the masses and that people were sick of Kashmir issue, this will help our Kashmiri cause.
regards

Last edited:
The thing is that we cannot deny the rights and justice of such loyal patriots just bcz it will hamper our case about Kashmir. They have been very patient with us despite zero representation being provided to them in state affairs and now when they are tire of this, we must follow through with their demands and slowly integrate gilgit baltistan into the state. This will land a missile in the peace talks as well but their needs are more important. For over 60 years we have been unable to find a solution of this issue and thus we must act upon the only solution available to us.

They deserve the rights of a province and all the freedom provided in the 18th amendment.

The region of gilgit baltistan has huge potential and their tourism alone can be a huge boon to pak economy. We must allow them to grow and flourish as we cannot hold them back anymore. Let us see them rise and with it ourselves rise as well.

I know it has been long overdue but the past is the past, We must look to the future together and I must say its very bright. Gilgit baltistan with provincial rights will be able to accomplish a great deal.

Not a good idea. Another TALIBAN like organisation will ensue from IOK and PHK, demanding their rights. The chances are more in IOK as compare to PHK. I feel like it is backstabbing to Indian Kashmiris; they will opt for revenge from Pakistan; as usual Indians will help them.Today Indian Kashmiris are against India, tomorrow they will be against PAKISTAN Aftermaths would be perilous.

If the people of GB are happy for this decision, then so be it.
Its the first step of turning loc into permanent boundry it will seriously harm our stance on Occupied Kashmir

I'm in favor of this, but it needs to be tied to some 'independently monitored' local referendum (preferably) or, at the least, a vote in the GB legislature.

Its the first step of turning loc into permanent boundry it will seriously harm our stance on Occupied Kashmir
Rest assured the people of IOK will never let Hindia have hegemony over that place. Besides we also have to take in to account the brave folks of GB, what they want we will have to give as they have earned it.

I'm in favor of this, but it needs to be tied to some 'independently monitored' local referendum (preferably) or, at the least, a vote in the GB legislature.
Its been a demand for years, it is to note that GB acceded with Pakistan without any demands, though the leaders were promised similar rights as the rest of the provinces. Even our current CM has supported this cause, point being it is quite obvious what the locals want.
Rest assured the people of IOK will never let Hindia have hegemony over that place. Besides we also have to take in to account the brave folks of GB, what they want we will have to give as they have earned it.
He is overreacting!
It will harm our stance on Kashmir its better to give gb an ajk like status

Your views @waz @django @Jonah Arthur
Gilgitis are sick of being associated with Kashmiri conflict, that's a fact. We have sacrificed our basic rights for almost 68 years. You are overreacting, this will not hurt our cause in anyway, or i should ask you how will it?

Its been a demand for years, it is to note that GB acceded with Pakistan without any demands, though the leaders were promised similar rights as the rest of the provinces. Even our current CM has supported this cause, point being it is quite obvious what the locals want.

He is overreacting!

Gilgitis are sick of being associated with Kashmiri conflict, that's a fact. We have sacrificed our basic rights for almost 68 years. You are overreacting, this will not hurt our cause in anyway, or i should ask you how will it?
@WAJsal All this should have happened a long time ago.kudos

He is overreacting!

By taking away this special status we are giving a green signal to India to make loc international border and fully revoke special status of occupied kashmir

He is overreacting!

Kashmir is a disputed territory. India says it is not, we say it is, if we now say it is ours and not disputed it will mean that we have effectively rejected the disputed argument and we should therefore make the LoC a international border.

Back
Top Bottom