What's new

Pakistan to start work on 1100MW Nuclear Power Plant

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan to start work on 1100MW Nuclear Power Plant

ISLAMABAD: The government has decided to go ahead with work on a 1,100-megawatt nuclear power plant in Karachi with Chinese assistance from the next financial year in an effort to ease energy shortages in the country.

According to sources, the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) will build the power plant named Karachi Coastal Power and costing an estimated $9.5 billion.

At present, Pakistan has two nuclear power plants – Chashma 1 and 2 – each with a capacity of 320MW and built with Chinese assistance. Work on Chashma 3 and 4 power plants is also under way.

Officials say of the total cost of Rs950 billion ($9.5 billion) for Karachi Coastal Power, the government is likely to allocate Rs7.5 billion in the budget for the next financial year, beginning July. Apart from this, it is planning to secure Rs65 billion in foreign lending to give a push to the project.

The government is also in contact with China to purchase two nuclear power plants with a combined capacity of 2,000MW, which will be utilised for setting up Karachi Nuclear Power Plant-2 (Kanupp-2) and Kanupp-3 to tackle the energy crisis.

Kanupp-2 and Kanupp-3 = 1100 MW or just 1 plant will produce 1100 MW ?
and how far this project has been completed?

Bit unrealistic... If they could arrange 9.5 billion dollars for such a project (I know it's going to be loan anyway and that is hard to get for such a project) They could have rather focused on Bunji hydropower project or dasu... With far more energy potential

9.5 billion is a big amount to talk or dream about

Btw, 950 billion rupees shouldn't generate only 1100mw of nuclear electricity... So I guess this is just a new lollypop of the new government

please tell me this is not another IPP corruption case in progress. Even though Nuclear power is the way to go forward but not at this hefty price especially when cost:benefit ratio is at this point. And how are they going to cover this amount. What will be the per Unit price?

9.5 Billion US$ :what:
Well that is as stupid as it gets...

I mean seriously, is there someone in government thinking to make 1100MW electricity from a 9.5 Billion US$ project? if yes then perhaps we must apply for Afghanistan immigration! That is quite stupid.
Haven't the ever heard of 7.5 Billion US$ Bunji dam with a potential of 7500 MW electricity?? or Yulbo Hydropower Project capacity 3000 MW or Tungus Hydropower Project generation 2200MW

this will be informative i suppose:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...an-energy-news-2013-2018-a-3.html#post4318191

Hum humesha manga kaamon ka pecha kyn jata hain......9.5 billion dollars wtf?
Nuclear is important however if you evaluate cost to benefit analysis, the cost outweighs the benefit specially when a large capacity can be achieved by much less cost.

I mean seriously, is there someone in government thinking to make 1100MW electricity from a 9.5 Billion US$ project? if yes then perhaps we must apply for Afghanistan immigration! That is quite stupid.
Right! China's Three Gorges Dam produces 22,500 MW of power and cost < $25 billion to build. That's a little over $1 billion for every 1000MW.

In contrast, the Pakistan government would be spending $9 billion - almost 9 times the amount - for 1100MW!!! Not cost effective at all. You will be screwed paying half your hard earned salary towards payment of electricity bills for your home, as the tariffs will be incredible high! Since there are no free lunches, the government will squeeze you guys till you bleed as they would need to pay back the loans which probably would be financed mostly by the ADB/World Bank/IMF.

If true, than we got SCREWEDDDDDDDDDDDD.

This money could be used to pay for the Diamer Bhasha, Bunji and Dasu Dams. That would be much better bang for the buck, nuclear power is expensive and the cost per unit will only go up.

somethings fishy... india's jaitpur nuclear installation will produce 10000 mw and will cost only 10 billion dollars...this nuclear plant seems way too expensive..

Bit unrealistic... If they could arrange 9.5 billion dollars for such a project (I know it's going to be loan anyway and that is hard to get for such a project) They could have rather focused on Bunji hydropower project or dasu... With far more energy potential

9.5 billion is a big amount to talk or dream about

Btw, 950 billion rupees shouldn't generate only 1100mw of nuclear electricity... So I guess this is just a new lollypop of the new government

The price tag of $9.5 billion seems way too high for a single 1,100 megawatt plant, unaffordable.

Haven't the ever heard of 7.5 Billion US$ Bunji dam with a potential of 7500 MW electricity?? or Yulbo Hydropower Project capacity 3000 MW or Tungus Hydropower Project generation 2200MW

this will be informative i suppose:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/econom...an-energy-news-2013-2018-a-3.html#post4318191

If true, than we got SCREWEDDDDDDDDDDDD.

This money could be used to pay for the Diamer Bhasha, Bunji and Dasu Dams. That would be much better bang for the buck, nuclear power is expensive and the cost per unit will only go up.

A little chai paani on the side also...

Guys:

The source is a blog run by university students. I would not put too much weight in this story unless confirmed by other sources, specially the cost figures.

ISLAMABAD:

The government has decided to go ahead with work on a 1,100-megawatt nuclear power plant in Karachi with Chinese assistance from the next financial year in an effort to ease energy shortages in the country.

According to sources, the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) will build the power plant named Karachi Coastal Power and costing an estimated $9.5 billion.

At present, Pakistan has two nuclear power plants – Chashma 1 and 2 – each with a capacity of 320MW and built with Chinese assistance. Work on Chashma 3 and 4 power plants is also under way.

Officials say of the total cost of Rs950 billion ($9.5 billion) for Karachi Coastal Power, the government is likely to allocate Rs7.5 billion in the budget for the next financial year, beginning July. Apart from this, it is planning to secure Rs65 billion in foreign lending to give a push to the project.

The government is also in contact with China to purchase two nuclear power plants with a combined capacity of 2,000MW, which will be utilised for setting up Karachi Nuclear Power Plant-2 (Kanupp-2) and Kanupp-3 to tackle the energy crisis.

In case of Kanupp-2 and 3, the Planning Commission had said Chinese company – China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) – may be asked to grant intellectual property rights and suggest steps that could help Pakistan avoid violation of property rights.

“In case of 1,100MW Karachi Coastal Power, Pakistan will also require intellectual property rights,” an official said.

China has three state-owned corporations that can own and operate nuclear power plants including CNNC, China Guangdong Nuclear Power Holding Company (CGNPC) and China Power Investment Corporation (CPIC).

CGNPC operates four nuclear power plants of 3,758MW in China and is also associated with 16 other under-construction projects having capacity of 25,000MW. The company’s main focus has been on three-loop 1,000MW plants.

In an attempt to increase power generation, Pakistan is turning attention to producing nuclear energy on a relatively bigger scale. According to the Energy Security Action Plan, the share of nuclear power will be increased in electricity production by installing 8,800MW nuclear power plants by 2030.

Nuclear plants will provide electricity at cheaper rates compared to power produced from thermal sources. At present, the country is experiencing a widening gap between power supply and demand, leading to extensive outages that disrupt life and business and shaves three percentage points off economic growth annually.

Govt to kick off work on 1,100MW nuclear power plant – The Express Tribune

I think its not a good idea

Back
Top Bottom