What's new

Pakistan to start work on 1100MW Nuclear Power Plant

9.5 billion must be for multiple reactors. Reported figures don't make any sense here.

Guys:

The source is a blog run by university students. I would not put too much weight in this story unless confirmed by other sources, specially the cost figures.

Multiple news sources are reporting it:
Govt to kick off work on 1,100MW nuclear power plant Pakistan Business

http://tribune.com.pk/story/559885/govt-to-kick-off-work-on--nuclear-power-plant/

http://investorguide360.com/latest-...karachi-include-more-updates-shajar-research/

these are not surely THE MOST reliable sources but still...
I hope this is NOT TRUE

These are references likely arising from the same dubious root source, plus I doubt that the cost figures being quoted are correct. They simply cannot be correct.

Unless I am missing something this is absolutely stupid.

A combined cycle natural gas power plant costs $1500 per KW installed capacity and based on pieces I read recently Pakistan has a 4000 MW shortfall so the cost to meet our entire deficit could be handled with an investment of $6 billion and these plants are constructed pretty fast (can be done in as little as 20 months).

However, we are building a nuclear power plant at a cost of $8500+ per KW which meets about a quarter of the countries total energy needs and would take around 7 to 8 years to complete.

This seems like a totally inept decision on the part of the government.

These are references likely arising from the same dubious root source, plus I doubt that the cost figures being quoted are correct. They simply cannot be correct.

Simply, they cannot be correct, but you know the government officials to get a bit more complex, and, unfortunately dirty as well in most of the cases. :cheesy:
I hope this is not one of those cases once again!

By my calculations, a 1000 MW Nuclear Plant costs around 1.5 Billion USD. 11 Billion is way out unless we are actually buying the design and building it ourselves. In which case we should be able to build many of these and even sell to other countries because we will have intellectual rights to the design.

If we are buying the design and intellectual right then it should be clearly mentioned.

By my calculations, a 1000 MW Nuclear Plant costs around 1.5 Billion USD. !! Billion is way out unless we are actually buying the design and building it ourselves. In which case we should st be able to build many of these and even sell to other countries because we will have intellectual rights to the design.

4 Billion USD for Chai, 4Billion USD for Paani... :P

look like Miyan sahab wants to milk the cow efficiently.. :P

any time frame for this project? when will it be completed?

$ 9500 million for 1100 megawatts..... thats around 8.7 million per megawatt...... thats too much... currently even the most expensive plants are 4-5 million per megawatt...... so whats here thats costing twice that.
Secondly where will they arrange get financing from..... they have allocated just 7.5 billion this fiscal out 950, thats not even 1% of it..... if you go with lending forget any foreign assistance.....
It would have been better that they have spent this amount(if they have) on converting the existing thermal into coal which will cost around $5 billion and the rest in increasing capacity of thermal(short run) and hydel(medium to long run).

China bought 4 1000MW and the design from USA for roughly $11 billion.

Something is really fishy here.

thats just for reactors...... you have to add up construction, housing and miscellaneous cost of building supporting facilities, and most important the capital cost. But it still around $4-5 million per megawatt max.

Nuclear power is always expensive to set up initially. But it becomes subsequently economical as the large capacity plants operate over time. I always said that it is not optimal to install Nukes with small power generation potential, we need big boys. Even 1100MV may not be the one I would be hoping (something 2000MV+ would be the real thing). But we must understand that the capital outlays are always higher for nuclear energy but subsequent costs of production are very low. Thus the longer the life of the plant, the more economical the generation becomes. Plus we should not ignore that we don't have choices, with NSG hell bent on stopping Pakistan's access to nuclear energy, our options are limited to China. Ideally we could have got third generation nuclear plants from US (estimated life of 60+ years) but we can't go for them.

Bad idea to put a nuclear reactor in biggest cities in world however the benefit is that the issue with electricity in Sindh would be solved

What Dar was saying is that This year govt officially included Nuclear power generation in the its policy objective yet he didnt mention anything about any Kanup project.

Back
Top Bottom