What's new

Pakistan to import electricity from India: report

Rahul9090

Reaction score
Country
India
The long discussed Indo-Pak electricity deal has moved closer to reality with energy- starved Pakistan handing over draft of an initial power trade deal to India.

The move comes as the World Bank has offered to finance the feasibility study and transmission line to import 1,200 megawatts (MW) of power from India.

"Now, the World Bank has also offered to finance a feasibility study along with the (installation of) transmission line to import 1,200 MW power from India," an unnamed government official told the Express Tribune daily.

The official said a draft of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was handed over to Indian authorities in a recent meeting held in New Delhi.

India would respond to Pakistan after going through the draft of the initial deal, the official said.

Indian diplomats said Pakistan and India have constituted technical working groups which would review the aspects of the export of 500 MW of electricity to Pakistan.

The Pakistani cabinet had decided in January to import electricity from India. "The cabinet gave approval to the signing of an MoU between Pakistan and India for trade of electricity," an official statement had said.

The Water and Power Ministry had initiated negotiations with India in this regard, it said, adding that the World Bank had undertaken to finance feasibility study of the project.

The issue of electricity trade had come up for discussion during the meeting between Indian Commerce Minister Anand Sharma and Chief Minister of Pakistani Punjab Shahbaz Sharif during his visit to India in December.

Pakistan to import electricity from India: report | Business Standard

Who will pay for setting up infrastructure ???

Bad deal for India then because if Pakistan refuses to import electricity then we will lose all that money.

I am sure agreement will include clause to prevent or compensate from this issue. India her self is she producing more then she need ? that you guys can afford to export electricity what happens if you cant?

I am sure agreement will include clause to prevent or compensate from this issue. India her self is she producing more then she need ? that you guys can afford to export electricity what happens if you cant?

Bordering states of Punjab, etc. has electricity surplus, now it's more easy to transfer the surplus to Pakistan rather than to electricity deficit states of UP/Bihar.

There was a clause in IPI pipeline that if Pakistan fails to build the pipeline in time then Pakistan would have to pay the penalty but i didnt saw Pakistan paying the penalty so whats the gurantee that Pakistan will abide by the clauses of this ageement??

India is not a energy surplus country but states bordering Pakistan are so i wont see any problem in exporting electricity to Pakistan and we would have not thought about it in the first place if it had not been feasible.

="jarves, post: 5421703, member: 152007"]There was a clause in IPI pipeline that if Pakistan fails to build the pipeline in time then Pakistan would have to pay the penalty but i didnt saw Pakistan paying the penalty so whats the gurantee that Pakistan will abide by the clauses of this ageement??

IPI Iran pakistan India pipe line India backed out long before any contract was signed so what clause are you talking about

Negotiations continue but if and when the Iranians sue for breach of contract pakistan will have to pony up.
Sue where in international courts??? What if Pakistan defies the judgement of court(Assuming that Iran wins the case which is also debatable actually).

Bad deal for India then because if Pakistan refuses to import electricity then we will lose all that money.
The agreement will ideally cover that.

Sue where in international courts??? What if Pakistan defies the judgement of court(Assuming that Iran wins the case which is also debatable actually).
Yes. In international court. The jurisdiction is mutually accepted in the Agreement itself.

Back
Top Bottom