What's new

Pakistan to become 4th largest nation by population in 2050

What was japan then? japan is tiny compared to pakistan.
whats up with Japan? please elaborate, i didn't grasp your question

Japan's population is estimated at around 127.3 million
Japan's population is expected to drop to 100 million by 2050 and to 64 million by 2100
http://www.stat.go.jp/English/data/handbook/c02cont.htm

Why aren't Japanese thinking about enhancing their population for better benefits of the country?

Last edited:
hi
Okay going by this logic Iran & Saudi Arabia who are geographically larger than Pakistan should have been the most populous countries in the world, Islam contradicts abortion( which is more of a murder) not checks on birth rate. so kindly update yourself before showing your islamophobia, and above all you are trying to steer the topic in wrong direction, so quit it.

I am not trying to steer the direction in wrong way, what iam trying to do is putting my opinion accross with exg's.

I know you have a point of view but calling population bane is just ridiculous, the reason being every new born not only comes with a mouth but two hands to work.

Taking saudi and iran into argument does not really help - cuz its proven bigger population mean faster progress, and as the countries develop population seems to decline cuz of increased standard of livings.

I was just saying we should put the population to better use so that they can build the nation- what other options would u recommend ? whole sale culling of humans ?? i guess not.

As this came up, Islam is one of the most tolerant when it comes to abortion. Sccording to Islam "ensoulment" takes place 120 days into gestation hence expulsion of fetus after 120 days is termed abortion.

In 1997, the Commission of Inquiry on the Status of Women, headed by Justice (retd.) Nasir Aslam Zahid was set up to look into the laws to end the inequalities towards women, recommended, “A woman’s right to obtain an abortion by her own choice within the first 120 days of pregnancy should be unambiguously declared an absolute legal right.”

However, this is yet to become part of the law.

Population growth rate is excessively high. 175 million and doubling in 35 years is not a good sign.

Are you going to debate Islam and birth control?

A nation with not an industrialized economy cannot sustain such a big and exploding population. Infrastructure is expected to fail to cater the problems of population growth.

No, because they have cheap labour and they used centralized planned economies.

Fertility, growth rate, child mortality, illiteracy and lack of healthcare are skyrocketing and you're telling me it's not a big problem?

He does not understand the pillars of economy as defined by you.

Being opinionated is one thing, being a persistent I'm-narcisstic-here's-a-one-sentence-sumamrization expert is a whole another level of snobbishness.

Brother what iam saying is instead of cursing the population we can put our population to better use like to build the country/economy?

i have gone through population problem in asia thoroughly i know pakistan population will double in certain years - what solution do you recommend? tell me ?? whole sale culling i guess no, if you really wanted to cut the problem it should have been done in 70 and 80s with proper planning now nothing can stop the growth, what iam suggesting is instead of crying wolf what we could do is put the population to good use ? if you hve anything in your mind plz let me know ?

I am not trying to steer the direction in wrong way, what iam trying to do is putting my opinion accross with exg's.

I know you have a point of view but calling population bane is just ridiculous, the reason being every new born not only comes with a mouth but two hands to work.

Taking saudi and iran into argument does not really help - cuz its proven bigger population mean faster progress, and as the countries develop population seems to decline cuz of increased standard of livings.

I was just saying we should put the population to better use so that they can build the nation- what other options would u recommend ? whole sale culling of humans ?? i guess not.

This wasn't a reply to my post, but I'll reply anyways.

The issue is a high population growth rate. The world population growth rate has declined sharply and South Asian countries have controlled their population growth rates owing to already massive populations. Pakistan has failed to control the growth rate.

There's a thing called population momentum and that is certainly not in favour. Add the high growth rate and we're in for a big problem. Urbanization is increasing and is expected to reach 55-60% by 2050. Emigration towards urban areas has been restricted mainly towards three cities (Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad/Rawalpindi) with Hyderabad and Faisalabad (the other big ones) seeing only expected increases. The cities are unable to maintain existing populations in a sustainable way. Waste management and town planning are huge problems. They can't bear the burden of a doubled population in 35 years.

What you're talking about is effective use of human capital in economic development, an altogether different topic. Open a new thread for your opinion on that. Nobody is denying that human capital is a worthy resource, however we must control the exploding population before it takes down the country.

Brother what iam saying is instead of cursing the population we can put our population to better use like to build the country/economy?

i have gone through population problem in asia thoroughly i know pakistan population will double in certain years - what solution do you recommend? tell me ?? whole sale culling i guess no, if you really wanted to cut the problem it should have been done in 70 and 80s with proper planning now nothing can stop the growth, what iam suggesting is instead of crying wolf what we could do is put the population to good use ? if you hve anything in your mind plz let me know ?

Read the above answer.

Thanks for the explainations it was of help, what do you recommend to stop this population explosion or control of population growth in future ? I know education is one factor but educating the massess is never ending job! economy- may be but pakistan is at war at the moment. population control - will ordinary pakistani will allow birth control measures ?

what do you recommend to stop this population explosion or control of population growth in future ?

National Population Policy 2010 has covered all points very effectively.

Pakistan Population Policy

will ordinary pakistani will allow birth control measures ?

Use of birth control is hopelessly low compared with other overly religious countries as well (especially Iran, but there the clergy heavily supports and promotes birth control). Fertility has risen (albeit by 0.2) at the start of this decade, which is very horrifying.

The use of birth control has not increased as it should have been thanks to petro-dollar Wahabist mullahs crying against it (and polio immunizations and iodized salt and what not).

Massive campaigns are planned at the start of next year and that might work and increase acceptance.

Hi the rest of your post has been very proficiently answered by Sparklingway. but let me try to answer this last para of yours in simple words as per your logic we should put population to better use but would you also care to elaborate how to raise extravagantly huge population? where will the food come from? u mentioned a child comes with one mouth and two hands but how long does that child takes two put those hands to task and open mouth to be fed? as i mentioned earlier that Punjab is very densely populated and also the area blessed with fertile land where do u intend to settle this population? eventually the agricultural area will decline and the consequences are too obvious
And above all my major concern is of destruction to environment & Global warming, with a rapid increase in deforestation, water shortage. do u think it will be easier for new generations to breathe n live in Pakistan?

Last edited:
We asians are breeding like bunnies.

World cant take any more of the population with its limited resources, it has to be drastically reduced.

DAWN.COM | Editorial | Population control

Population control - Dawn Editorial

On World Population Day, Pakistan should re-visit the issues surrounding unchecked population growth and its consequences. While exact numbers are not available as no census has been under- taken since 1998, the World Bank put the country’s population at nearly 170 million in 2008.

The Pakistan Demographic and Health Survey 2006-07, undertaken by the National Institute of Population Studies under the authority of the government, estimates that if current trends persist, the size of the population will swell to a staggering 450 million by 2050. To keep pace with its existing resource base and progress on the path of development, the country must effect measures to slow down the growth rate from the current 1.9 per cent to replacement levels. Higher population figures translate, after all, to tougher governmental targets regarding healthcare, housing and all other basic rights.

It is hoped that the National Population Policy 2010, which aims to make family planning services more effective, contraceptives more easily accessible, lobby support from religious leaders and raise male awareness on the issue, has a demonstrable effect. These are effective approaches that ought to be set into motion immediately. Amongst the reasons for the high population growth rate are the lack of awareness about and access to contraceptive methods, a patriarchal societal mindset where sons are valued more than daughters, and the entrenched belief that birth control has no religious sanction. These realities must be altered if the country is to see significant success in bringing down the population growth rate, which is one of the factors that keep us on the lower rungs of development indexes. The task is tough, but not impossible. Other countries, including Bangladesh which a few decades ago had amongst the highest population growth rates in the world, have achieved success in this area. Pakistan should follow suit.

Pakistan Population 2013
Population Rank:6
% of World Pop:2.56%
Also See: Major Cities in Pakistan

December, 6th 2013
The country Pakistan has a history that dates back to almost 2,500 years B.C. It is considered to be one of the most highly advanced and highly developed civilizations of those ancient times. Finally becoming a sovereign state (and eventually recognized as an official mark on the map of the world) on August 14, 1947, this country is known for having deep roots in the Islamic religion. The country’s capital is Islamabad, and the country features four different provinces: North West Frontier Province, Sindh, Balochistan, and Punjab.

Pakistan Population 2013
Last collected in the year 2011, the population, at that point, stood at a reported 176,745,364. This number came from a report that was published by the World Bank in 2012. Back in 2001, the estimated population was around 142.5 million; the country, at that point, became the seventh most populated country in the entire world. Over the next ten years, the estimated population grew by about 34 million people.

pakistan.jpg

Since the year 1947, when the country became a sovereign state, the population of Pakistan has increased significantly, particularly because more and more people felt comfortable moving their families and businesses to the area. Compared to the other countries in the region, the growth rate of Pakistan is about 2.1 percent higher. It is predicted that in about 35 years, if this growth continues, the population of Pakistan will eventually become double of what it was back in 2001. Judging from how the population has grown significantly over just ten years, this “doubled population” figure does not seem to be far off.

Pakistan Population History
Did you know?
In 2030, Pakistan will be the largest Muslim-majority country w/ 245 million people.
To break this down even more specifically, the population of Pakistan grew, on average, at a rate of 3 percent per year from 1951 until the middle of the 1980’s decade. From the mid 1980’s until the year 2000, the growth of the population slowed down to about 2.6 percent per year; and from 2000 to 2012, to about 2 percent per year. The reason for this slow population increase may be that the country spent a lot of time and effort to slow down the population growth. As a result of these efforts, itis a lot poorer than what is was a long time ago. If it did not make any effort to slow down its population increase, then there would actually be 49.13 MORE people in the country than the current reports. But on the other end, they would also be a lot richer as a country. In other words, Pakistan, had it not slowed down its population increase, would actually be 52 percent richer than it is right now. Obviously, history cannot be changed, so the efforts have been switched to educating its population instead.

pakistan-population-2013.jpg

Life Expectancy
In the year 1984, the life expectancy of a Pakistani citizen was only at 56.9 years. As of the year 2002, the life expectancy has jumped up to 63 years of age. The improvement was a direct result of improved medical facilities and better educated health professionals available in the country. The downside, unfortunately, is that doctors and nurses are still in short number for the citizens that need them. There is only 1 nurse for every 3,700 people in the country. If the country is looking to improve health among its citizens and continue to grow their life expectancy rate, then the number of available doctors and nurses needs to continue to grow. If these numbers do not improve, then the people of Pakistan will actually see their life expectancy rate dip back down to the numbers of the mid 1990’s (59 years of age). The life expectancies of males and females are generally the same in Pakistan. As of 2002, men are expected to live around 63.7 years, while women are expected to live 63.4 years. (These numbers are according to the National Institute of Population Studies.)

Demographics
There have been very drastic and dramatic social changes in Pakistan. These vital changes have ushered in a new era of urbanization and the creation of a couple of megacities within the country. As of 2003, the country became one of the most urbanized cities in all of South Asia, mainly because city dwellers made up about 36 percent of its entire population at that point. About 50 percent of Pakistani citizens live in a place where at least 5,000 other citizens reside as well.

Most Pakistani people come from the ancestral group known as the Indo-Iranians. The largest ethnic group in Pakistan consists of those of Punjabi ethnicity, while Pashtuns and Sindhis are the second and third largest ethnic groups in the country, respectively. There is a special mixed ethnic group between the Punjabi ethnicity and the Sindhi ethnicity, and this group makes up about 10 percent of the entire Pakistani population.

When we consider the foreigners who live in Pakistan, a majority of them come from Afghanistan. Smaller foreign groups include those from Iraq, Bangladesh, Uzbekistan, Somalia, Burma, and Tajikistan. The most popular language in Pakistan is Punjabi, a language in which 88 percent of the population speaks. Second is the language Saraiki, which is spoken by 10 percent of the population; and coming in third is the language Pashto, spoken by 15 percent of the population.

English is widely spoken throughout the government of Pakistan, mainly because it is actually the official language of the government of the country. Many government officials, civil servants, and members of the military speak English in their daily conversations and meetings.

Pakistan Population Projections
According to a lot of expert predictions and projections based on trends and statistics, among many other factors, by the year 2050, there will be close to 9 BILLION people populating the planet. Out of those 9 billion, they project that about half of the world’s population will reside in the following countries:China, the United States, India, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Uganda, the Congo, Bangladesh, and, of course – you guessed it – Pakistan.

Pakistan Population Chart
Population History
Year Population Change
1950 37,542,000 N/A%
1960 45,541,000 21.31%
1970 59,204,000 30.00%
1980 79,984,000 35.10%
1990 111,091,000 38.89%
2000 143,832,000 29.47%
2010 173,149,000 20.38%

Population Projections
Year Population Change
2020 212,817,0002 2.91%
2030 260,059,0002 2.20%
2040 312,431,0002 0.14%
2050 375,253,0002 0.11%
2060 448,732,0001 9.58%
2070 535,005,0001 9.23%
2080 640,800,0001 9.77%
2090 770,776,0002 0.28%
2100 929,334,0002 0.57%

How Many People Live
Based on the most recent estimates, the current population is projected as:

Pakistan Population 2013
Population Rank:
% of World Pop:2.56%
Also See: Major Cities in Pakistan

December, 6th 2013
The country Pakistan has a history that dates back to almost 2,500 years B.C. It is considered to be one of the most highly advanced and highly developed civilizations of those ancient times. Finally becoming a sovereign state (and eventually recognized as an official mark on the map of the world) on August 14, 1947, this country is known for having deep roots in the Islamic religion. The country’s capital is Islamabad, and the country features four different provinces: North West Frontier Province, Sindh, Balochistan, and Punjab.

Pakistan Population 2013
Last collected in the year 2011, the population, at that point, stood at a reported 176,745,364. This number came from a report that was published by the World Bank in 2012. Back in 2001, the estimated population was around 142.5 million; the country, at that point, became the seventh most populated country in the entire world. Over the next ten years, the estimated population grew by about 34 million people.

pakistan.jpg

Since the year 1947, when the country became a sovereign state, the population of Pakistan has increased significantly, particularly because more and more people felt comfortable moving their families and businesses to the area. Compared to the other countries in the region, the growth rate of Pakistan is about 2.1 percent higher. It is predicted that in about 35 years, if this growth continues, the population of Pakistan will eventually become double of what it was back in 2001. Judging from how the population has grown significantly over just ten years, this “doubled population” figure does not seem to be far off.

Pakistan Population History
Did you know?
In 2030, Pakistan will be the largest Muslim-majority country w/ 245 million people.

To break this down even more specifically, the population of Pakistan grew, on average, at a rate of 3 percent per year from 1951 until the middle of the 1980’s decade. From the mid 1980’s until the year 2000, the growth of the population slowed down to about 2.6 percent per year; and from 2000 to 2012, to about 2 percent per year. The reason for this slow population increase may be that the country spent a lot of time and effort to slow down the population growth. As a result of these efforts, itis a lot poorer than what is was a long time ago. If it did not make any effort to slow down its population increase, then there would actually be 49.13 MORE people in the country than the current reports. But on the other end, they would also be a lot richer as a country. In other words, Pakistan, had it not slowed down its population increase, would actually be 52 percent richer than it is right now. Obviously, history cannot be changed, so the efforts have been switched to educating its population instead.

pakistan-population-2013.jpg

Life Expectancy
In the year 1984, the life expectancy of a Pakistani citizen was only at 56.9 years. As of the year 2002, the life expectancy has jumped up to 63 years of age. The improvement was a direct result of improved medical facilities and better educated health professionals available in the country. The downside, unfortunately, is that doctors and nurses are still in short number for the citizens that need them. There is only 1 nurse for every 3,700 people in the country. If the country is looking to improve health among its citizens and continue to grow their life expectancy rate, then the number of available doctors and nurses needs to continue to grow. If these numbers do not improve, then the people of Pakistan will actually see their life expectancy rate dip back down to the numbers of the mid 1990’s (59 years of age). The life expectancies of males and females are generally the same in Pakistan. As of 2002, men are expected to live around 63.7 years, while women are expected to live 63.4 years. (These numbers are according to the National Institute of Population Studies.)

Demographics
There have been very drastic and dramatic social changes in Pakistan. These vital changes have ushered in a new era of urbanization and the creation of a couple of megacities within the country. As of 2003, the country became one of the most urbanized cities in all of South Asia, mainly because city dwellers made up about 36 percent of its entire population at that point. About 50 percent of Pakistani citizens live in a place where at least 5,000 other citizens reside as well.

Most Pakistani people come from the ancestral group known as the Indo-Iranians. The largest ethnic group in Pakistan consists of those of Punjabi ethnicity, while Pashtuns and Sindhis are the second and third largest ethnic groups in the country, respectively. There is a special mixed ethnic group between the Punjabi ethnicity and the Sindhi ethnicity, and this group makes up about 10 percent of the entire Pakistani population.

When we consider the foreigners who live in Pakistan, a majority of them come from Afghanistan. Smaller foreign groups include those from Iraq, Bangladesh, Uzbekistan, Somalia, Burma, and Tajikistan. The most popular language in Pakistan is Punjabi, a language in which 88 percent of the population speaks. Second is the language Saraiki, which is spoken by 10 percent of the population; and coming in third is the language Pashto, spoken by 15 percent of the population.

English is widely spoken throughout the government of Pakistan, mainly because it is actually the official language of the government of the country. Many government officials, civil servants, and members of the military speak English in their daily conversations and meetings.

Pakistan Population Projections
According to a lot of expert predictions and projections based on trends and statistics, among many other factors, by the year 2050, there will be close to 9 BILLION people populating the planet. Out of those 9 billion, they project that about half of the world’s population will reside in the following countries:China, the United States, India, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Uganda, the Congo, Bangladesh, and, of course – you guessed it – Pakistan.

Pakistan Population Chart
Population History

Year Population Change
1950 37,542,000 N/A%
1960 45,541,000 21.31%
1970 59,204,000 30.00%
1980 79,984,000 35.10%
1990 111,091,000 38.89%
2000 143,832,000 29.47%
2010 173,149,000 20.38%

Population Projections
Year Population Change