What's new

Pakistan takes deliveries of 3 SAAB-2000 Aircraft

SAAB-2000 by itself is just a VIP passenger jet. The PAF uses these jets for it's EriEye AEW platforms. If the deal included Ericsson, which make the EriEye AEW system, then these are AEW aircrafts else they are just for passenger transport.

What just followed was non stop inventory’s of PAF AWACS fleet

So let’s get it right

4 x Erieye original one destroyed 2 damaged in terror attack

2 damaged repaired so 3 left

3 more come now so that’s 6 x Erieye

Plus 4 x ZDK-03

Total 10 AWACS

We have northern sector cover which also covers eastern sector

We have southern sector covered

We need to cover western sector with 4 x more AWACS

We need 14

Another 4 x KJ-500 would be welcome

And it works for 24/7 coverage

1 in the air
1 ready for take off
1 lands
1 in maintenance

No wonder Indians went running to Daddy

Doesn't this deal now mean we have more than twice as many AWACS as the IAF? Considering how much smaller our airspace is, that's going to make their job of breaking our defences a hell of a lot tougher, and will only enhance our ability to go on the offensive.

Total 10 AWACS

11, you forgot another Saab.

Doesn't this deal now mean we have more than twice as many AWACS as the IAF? Considering how much smaller our airspace is, that's going to make their job of breaking our defences a hell of a lot tougher, and will only enhance our ability to go on the offensive.

No, it is 10, the other SAAB is VIP (also used for training so we dont use up flight hours on the Erieye models).

10 AWACS should be more then enough for Pakistan. AWACS are not allocated to sectors, air information picture is shared with whatever node is relevant.

I would say 6 Erieye and 4 ZDK are perfect. This would enable a minimum of 1 ZDK and 2 Erieyes in the air at allk times during conflict situation. Going by basing it seems ZDK would cover coast and south, then the Erieyes central and northern Pakistan.
Link these in with PAF and Army ground radars and air defence batteries and you actually have a formidable early warning force.

No I did not

PAF ordered 4 x Erieye AWACS and 1 single VIP transport

They are

4 x AWACS

3 x AWACS delivered in 2010 and 1 in 2011

And VIP is J-019 delivered in 2008

Attack at Kamra destroyed completely 1 x AWACS 10049 and 2 x damaged 10025 and 10049 and untouched 10040 as it took part in air excercise not long after the attack

I remember reading the VIP was due to converted to AWACS but I don’t think it ever happened

Pakistan takes deliveries of 3 SAAB-2000 Aircraft

According to publicly available import and export (EXIM) registries, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) received three Saab 2000 aircraft on 06 April 2019. These Saab 2000s appear to be from an order of three aircraft made by Pakistan’s Directorate General of Defence Purchases (DGDP) in February 2018.

Skyworld Aviation, an aircraft sales and leasing broker, delivered the aircraft – i.e., J-038, J-024, and J-062 – to the DGDP in November 2018. The PAF had originally ordered five Saab 2000s, i.e., four to house the Erieye airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system and one for VIP flights and training.

In 2012, one of the four Erieye AEW&C was written-off, while two were seriously damaged. However, the two damaged aircraft were repaired at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and, in turn, resulted in PAC building depot-level maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) capabilities.

In 2017, the PAF reportedly ordered three additional Erieye AEW&C aircraft (Air Forces Monthly), of which the first was slated for delivery in December 2017 and the remaining two in 2018. If completed, this would raise the PAF fleet to six, which it trimmed to four following the 2005 earthquake in Kashmir.

Quwa’s examination of EXIM logs show that Saab made major radar equipment deliveries to Pakistan in 2017 and 2018. In March 2019, Sweden’s Inspectorate of Strategic Products confirmed that Saab sold an Erieye AEW&C system to Pakistan in 2018. However, the Inspectorate had reportedly added that this Erieye order was in relation to the PAF’s original order (i.e., to replace the written-off unit), and that “no new export transactions have been approved to Pakistan since 2007.”
Can they be intergetated on JF 17??

@Tps43 , @Khafee , @fatman17 , @Imran Khan , @The Eagle , @Horus , @waz , @Zarvan , @Quwa , @Path-Finder , @Windjammer

Edit: Does this mean we have total 9 Erieye AEW&C ?? or total 6 AEW&C and 3 Sab-2000 jets..

We had our fresh Airframes and am more interested as how the Erieye upgrade has been done. However, the fleet number is raised and there is more of surprise that it was done and none knew. There is a reason why Indians ran to SAAB/Sweden complaining.

What just followed was non stop inventory’s of PAF AWACS fleet

So let’s get it right

4 x Erieye original one destroyed 2 damaged in terror attack

2 damaged repaired so 3 left

3 more come now so that’s 6 x Erieye

Plus 4 x ZDK-03

Total 10 AWACS

We have northern sector cover which also covers eastern sector

We have southern sector covered

We need to cover western sector with 4 x more AWACS

We need 14

Another 4 x KJ-500 would be welcome

And it works for 24/7 coverage

1 in the air
1 ready for take off
1 lands
1 in maintenance
What os KJ 500?

If these are AWACS, then 11. I hope this is the case, that would be a great boost for the PAF.

Here are the details of the order, they do appear to be AWACS systems:

Saab-EXIM03-April-2019-01.jpg

Good evidence, this is clear that the three planes do have three corresponding AWACS systems to be fitted on (see first note on order).
That makes the fleet 6, excluding the Chinese AWACS planes.

are they equipped with AWACS radars or just the platforms?

Yes see my post and the evidence that another member posted.

These are passenger version airframes only. They will not host the radar.

ACM Sohail Aman pushed for this deal and rest of the airforce is not happy with it. The guy was known for extending favours to airforce families.

C-130's are dying so are a few other systems. Transport fleet is the most neglected one since decades with absolutely no development on it. I mean cargo and strategic airlift capability and not passenger transfer.

Nope they are with radar and the order clearly highlights that. These are new AWACS equipped planes.
But you're right about lift capability, the C-130's are old, sat with crew in one last year.

Oh bhains .... Indian media ki potti bandh honay wali hai lol

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom