• Peshawar Zalmi

• Quetta Gladiators

• Karachi Kings

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@friendly_troll96
So, the Pindi boys are supporting the Islamabad United?:D

It would have been boring with out all the fun.
How about QuEEtTAAAAAAA!:D? "Zara samne Aaaa!"
Rooting for them as well (just because the song was entertaining: gets me every time i hear it.. ).Har masoum team ko support karein ge.

@friendly_troll96
So, the Pindi boys are supporting the Islamabad United?:D

It would have been boring with out all the fun.
How about QuEEtTAAAAAAA!:D? "Zara samne Aaaa!"
Rooting for them as well (just because the song was entertaining: gets me every time i hear it.. ).Har masoum team ko support karein ge.
LOL. Though I feel at home in Pindi, technically, I ain't one of them -- I'm a "paindu boy" from a beautiful village in Chakwal. I'd support anyone against motay majjay Lahoris and kojay Karachiites. :lol:

LOL. Though I feel at home in Pindi, technically, I ain't one of them -- I'm a "paindu boy" from a beautiful village in Chakwal. I'd support anyone against motay majjay Lahoris and kojay Karachiites. :lol:

Same feelings bro.:D
Well said. (lol)

Last edited:
PSL vs IPL: In numbers

By Azeem Siddiqui / Emmad Hameed / Design: Nabeel Ahmed

1025566-image-1452590657-787-640x480.jpg

PHOTO COURTESY: PCB

Pakistan Super League (PSL) inaugural edition will kick off on February 4 in the UAE, where five teams named after the four provincial capitals; Karachi (Sindh), Lahore (Punjab), Peshawar (KP), Quetta (Balochistan), and one team named after the federal capital Islamabad will take part in a 20-day long tournament.

There is no doubt that the PSL project will take the country’s talent to new heights and can only be described as a win-win for the cricket obsessed nation. However, the obvious comparisons to the most successful cricket league, the Indian Premier League (IPL), can’t be avoided largely due to the intense rivalry between the neighbours.

The Express Tribune took a look at the key differences between the PSL and the IPL, including target audiences, pay scales for cricketers and other interesting aspects.

That’s not it. We also spoke to former cricketer-convert commentator Ramiz Raja and Pakistan T20I captain Shahid Afrid on how the league will hold up in the future.

To start off, the difference in wages is startling but also a given considering it will be the PSL’s first edition and the smaller target audience. The highest paid players in PSL (Shahid Afridi and four other ‘Icon’ players ) will earn $200,000, compared to a whopping $2.5 million being paid as remuneration to IPL’s Virat Kohli.

Psl-Graph-2.jpg

The duration and matches played in the IPL will also dwarf the PSL events. A total of 24 matches will be played over 20 days in the PSL, while 60 matches will be played over 45 days in the IPL.

T20 leagues around the world are largely inspired by the success of the Indian Premier League (IPL) and there is good reason for its success: a massive target audience for IPL. We will have to wait to see how many tune in for PSL.

Talking to The Express Tribune, Raja said the PSL-IPL comparison is futile for now. “It’s just a start. We definitely should hope for better things in future,” he said.

“We should not compare PSL with IPL. IPL is a settled tournament, it has a special window from the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the whole world gets hooked to it,” he added.

The former opening batsman went on to say that players should expect the pay scale to increase after a few editions of the PSL as sponsors and greater investment will come with time.

“We have to develop a robust model,”said Ramiz. “The initial target should be to create and then sustain the credibility of the tournament.

“Once we set up the credibility of the tournament, I am sure more brands and sponsors, who are waiting to see what the PSL has in store for them, will come forward and invest. This will eventually increase the flow of money into the league and eventually for the players.”

The 53-year-old said that the draft system of selecting players in the PSL might be replaced by player’s auction in the future. “We should not rule out the possibility of player’s auction in future editions of PSL,” Ramiz concluded.

Meanwhile, Afridi said PSL would only get bigger once the tournament comes back to Pakistan.

“It [PSL] will get bigger as time goes on,” said Afridi while talking The Express Tribune. “Once the tournament is organised in Pakistan, I think everything will get bigger and better.”

The 35-year-old went on to say that PSL will help Pakistan cricket in moving forward, and for now, the focus should be on building the credibility of the tournament.

“PSL will help Pakistan cricket immensely in moving forward. As of now, we should not focus on the amount of money a player will earn from the tournament. Instead, the focus should be on building the credibility of the tournament,” he added.

I am rooting for Iarachi despite.eing an Islooite but would want a Khi vs Isn final

I am Balouch so I will Support Quetta Gladiators. But I live in Lahore so i will most probably wear a t-shirt of Lahore Qalandars . :victory::victory::mps::fans::victory::victory:

Im from Lahore but I think il actually be supporting Quetta. The Gladiators have a very solid and balanced team with some big hitters and a decent bowling line up.

Im from Lahore but I think il actually be supporting Quetta. The Gladiators have a very solid and balanced team with some big hitters and a decent bowling line up.
Agreed. But its gonna be hell of Adventure and Fun. Lahore Qalanders have perfect combination of National and international players so this team is gonna be tough team. Can't wait to for PSL :bounce:

PSL: Peshawar to follow Man United blueprint for youth academy

56753736951d6.jpg
The Peshawar Zalmi initiative would be set up on the lines of the Manchester United Foundation, and will be equipped with “top class infrastructure”. — AFP/file
Unsung cricketers from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) region will not only get a look-in by Peshawar Zalmi, the franchise will also help them find a toehold in the English county league, team owner Javed Afridi has said.

Afridi said a “mega plan” for a cricket academy, established along the lines of the Manchester United Foundation, has been put in place to unearth local talent once the inaugural edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) is over.

“The whole idea behind this franchise is to promote the players from the North who have often been neglected in the past,” Afridi said to explain what his team represented.

But Afridi, who is the CEO of HNR Company (Haier Manufacturing Unit) that has for long backed Pakistan cricket, did not respond to a specific question regarding which cricketer from KPK he felt had been given the short shrift by the national selectors.

Afridi had spoken of his KPK-driven agenda in an email interview earlier, saying he wanted to develop the cricket infrastructure around the game “in his homeland” as Peshawar and KPK were “close to his heart”.

Now, the franchise-owner said, the team and the academy would be endeavours where those “dreams will indeed come true by the grace of the Almighty”.

Team plans
According to Afridi, the team management was eyeing “some of the best international and local talent” that included former England coach Andy Flower as the batting coach.

“Yet I want to stress that talent from KPK and Peshawar will be preferred,” he said.

“The selection process isn’t going to be easy.”

Sounding confident of his $16-milion venture, Afridi said his coaching panel was “more than capable” of developing a team that was going to give the rest of the competitors in the fray a run for their money.

To get them ready for the big contest ahead, he promised the best training facilities for the players. But the cherry on top would be the chance to play in alien conditions.

“We will also provide them international exposure by getting them contracts in English county circuit besides the leading T20 leagues around the world,” Afridi said.

Afridi also said he has had “detailed discussions” with head coach Mohammad Akram and other members of the coaching panel regarding the ideal team composition.

His take on the result of these discussions: “The Zalmi squad is going to be ideally suited for the demands of the crash, bang and wallop format of the game.”

Talent hunt
Afridi, who had earlier announced a “mega plan” to establish a sports foundation for the region, said this part of his proposed programme would unravel once the PSL is over.

The foundation, to be called the Peshawar Zalmi Foundation – comprising a sports and cricket training academy – will strive to unearth young talent from KPK through talent hunt schemes.

“The announcement of setting up the foundation has already received wide acclaim across KPK, I am indeed glad and it warms my heart that the people of the province are behind me,” he said.

His initiative would be set up on the lines of the Manchester United Foundation, and will be equipped with “top class infrastructure”, he said.

“This initiative will also help in bringing together fracture communities who have suffered for a long time in our recent tumultuous past.

“There is real hope for the future.”

Shaun Tait signs up with Peshawar Zalmi

56a0e2a1a6d3b.jpg
Tait is also set to return to the Australian side when they take on India in a T20 series which kicks off on January 26. — AFP/File
Australia’s express pacer Shaun Tait has signed up with Pakistan Super League (PSL) side Peshawar Zalmi, bolstering an already lethal pace attack led by Pakistan’s left-arm duo of Wahab Riaz and Junaid Khan.

“Australian pacer Shaun Tait has reached an agreement with Peshawar Zalmi for ‪#‎HBLPSL‬,” said a post on the PSL official Facebook account.

Tait, 32, is also set to return to the Australian side, when the World Champions take on India in a T20 series which kicks off on January 26.

One of the fastest bowler’s in the world, Shaun Tait, will don the Australian colours after a long gap of five years — his last international outing came against India in 2011.

“I suppose I feel pretty privileged, honestly, to be called in at this stage of my career,” he said while talking to ESPNCricinfo on Tuesday.

“And obviously with a few injuries around, it has been timing and probably a little bit lucky. But you go through a career, you have bad luck and good luck. This is a good luck one for me and I will take it,” he added.

Under the captaincy of Pakistan T20 skipper Shahid Afridi, Peshawar Zalmi start their PSL campaign when they face Islamabad United on February 5 and the match could potentially feature the Aussie pacer.

Tait has 19 scalps in the 28 T20Is he has played for Australia.

Tait signs with Peshawar Zalmi in PSL

222125.jpg

Australia fast bowler Shaun Tait has been roped in by Peshawar Zalmi to play in the first season of the upcoming Pakistan Super League. The decision to sign Tait was made by Peshawar after Chris Jordan, one of the team's premier pacers, was called up by England for their tour of South Africa, cutting short his participation in the PSL.

Jordan had initially been replaced in Peshawar's squad by Liam Plunkett, but an injury to Steven Finn meant that Plunkett too was called up to the England squad, forcing Peshawar's hand.

Tait, 32, has played 57 international matches for Australia, but none since the 2011 World Cup. That is however likely to change in the coming week, as Tait was included in Australia's T20 squad for the upcoming matches against India following an impressive Big Bash League campaign with the Hobart Hurricanes where he picked up 10 wickets at 24.70.

Tait's addition will be a boost to a Peshawar seam attack that already has Wahab Riaz and Junaid Khan. The team will play its first match of the tournament on February 5, against Islamabad United.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Wahab, Junaid and Tait. :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom