What's new

Pakistan Starts Producing Tight Gas

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Haq's Musings: Tight Gas Production Begins in Pakistan

First tight gas well producing 15 million cubic feet per day of natural gas is on line at Sajawal gas field in Kirthar block in Sindh province, according to a report in Express Tribune. It is located 110 km south east of Karachi, Pakistan. It puts Pakistan in an exclusive club of just a few nations producing unconventional natural gas.

ShaleGasDepositDiagram.jpg

The tight gas well in Kirthar belt is being operated jointly by Poland's Polskie Gornictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo (PGNiG) and Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL).

The state-owned Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) is buying gas from the joint venture at $6 per million BTUs (half the price agreed for Iranian gas) for distribution through its network in southern Pakistan. SSGC is laying a 52-kilometre-long pipeline at an estimated cost of Rs 325 million, carrying gas from the Suleman Range to the Nooriabad industrial estate.

First tight gas production launch in Sajawal is a very significant milestone for Pakistan. It augurs well for the future of both tight and gas production in the country because there are similarities in how both are extracted. Pakistan is endowed with huge deposits of both---105 trillion cubic feet (TCF) of shale gas and at least 33 trillion cubic feet of tight gas. In addition, Pakistan is also blessed with 9.1 billion barrels of shale oil which is also extracted in a similar way.

Pakistan's current demand for natural gas is about 1.6 trillion cubic feet per year. Even if triples to 5 trillion cubic feet per year, the current known reserves of over 150 trillion cubic feet of conventional and unconventional gas are sufficient for over 30 years.

Wells for both of these unconventional resources (tight and shale) must be "hydraulically fractured" (fracked) in order to produce commercial amounts of gas. Operator challenges and objectives to be accomplished during each phase of the Asset Life Cycle (Exploration, Appraisal, Development, Production, and Rejuvenation) of both shale gas and tight gas are similar, according to a paper on this subject. Drilling, well design, completion methods and hydraulic fracturing are somewhat similar; but formation evaluation, reservoir analysis, and some of the production techniques are quite different.

The current technology known as hydraulic fracturing or fracking was developed in the United States and it has spawned shale oil and gas revolution increasing supplies and reducing gas prices. The Chinese are now working on further cutting costs to make the equipment and technology more affordable.

Like the shale gas revolution in the United States, tight gas is transforming China's gas production - accounting for a third of total output in 2012 -- and will form the backbone of the country's push to expand so-called "unconventional" gas production nearly seven-fold by 2030, according to Reuters. The speed and size of the boom has exceeded forecasts and has been led by local firms developing low-cost technology and techniques, already being rolled out by Chinese companies in similar gas fields outside of China. Pakistan can benefit from the Chinese in its efforts to increase tight and shale gas and oil production.

Haq's Musings: Tight Gas Production Begins in Pakistan

@RiazHaq - Is this in addition to the Coal Gasification that Dr.Samar Mubarakmand talks about or is the 30 year Gas all we have ? :what:

Last edited by a moderator:
@RiazHaq - Is this in addition to the Coal Gasification that Dr.Samar Mubarakmand talks about or is the 30 year Gas all we have ? :what:

Look at the picture to see the difference.

Coal and coal gas are very close the surface. Tight and shale are deeper.

ShaleGasDepositDiagram.jpg

GoP should BAn CNG throughout the country and this gas shouldbe provided to House hold, Industrial and Powerplants.

But we need to have hydro, solar, wind and other resources of power.

The total gas reserves of both conventional and unconvetional exceed 150 trillion cubic feet. In addition, Pakistan has 9.1 billion barrels of shale oil.

Haq's Musings: Why Blackouts and Bailouts in Energy-Rich Pakistan?

I don't know how much would those absolute figures would be relative to some other countries ! :unsure:

So does that mean that we could, potentially, be self-sufficient in Petroleum & Gas Consumption if we ever choose to utilize those resources ? :what:

And why don't we use them ? Surely the Manshas & the other business tycoons of Pakistan would've given a thought or two to these areas as well ? Is it purely the Government that is proving to be a barrier to further investment in these sectors from Pakistan's Private Sector or are they themselves partly to blame for that ? I ask this because, I as an aspiring Chartered Accountant (nearly done with the qualification), have audited a couple of companies here in Lahore & believe me the 'Seith Culture' is very much an impediment in my opinion ! I'm not sure that some of our traditional Business Leaders possess the vision or the foresight to explore avenues of opportunity much outside the traditional agriculture & textile market never mind something as potentially risky as this !

I don't know how much would those absolute figures would be relative to some other countries ! :unsure:

So does that mean that we could, potentially, be self-sufficient in Petroleum & Gas Consumption if we ever choose to utilize those resources ? :what:

And why don't we use them ? Surely the Manshas & the other business tycoons of Pakistan would've given a thought or two to these areas as well ? Is it purely the Government that is proving to be a barrier to further investment in these sectors from Pakistan's Private Sector or are they themselves partly to blame for that ? I ask this because, I as an aspiring Chartered Accountant (nearly done with the qualification), have audited a couple of companies here in Lahore & believe me the 'Seith Culture' is very much an impediment in my opinion ! I'm not sure that some of our traditional Business Leaders possess the vision or the foresight to explore avenues of opportunity much outside the traditional agriculture & textile market never mind something as potentially risky as this !

Pakistan has the world's 9th largest shale oil reserves of 9.1 billion barrels and 17th largest shale gas reserves of 105 trillion cubic feet, according to US EIA's latest report for 2013.

Pakistan can become an energy-surplus country by developing its shale resources.

Haq's Musings: US EIA Estimates Pak Shale Oil Reserves at 9.1 Billion Barrels

We are one of the largest countries in the world, if we can fuel our industry to full capacity then we can become an absolute powerhouse.

By 2045-2050 Pakistan will be a developed state. It will look nothing like it does now.

It is inevitable, it is our destiny.

The Express Tribune story I referred to in my post above says ENI wants $14 an mmBTU for shale gas.

Too hot to handle: Govt rejects shale gas price, terming it

I think the ET correspondent has misunderstood the figure.

The COST (not price) calculation I have seen from ENI is $14 per boe (barrel of oil equivalent).

Each boe has 5.55 mmBTU energy. So $14 per boe works out to about $2.53 per mmBTU.

http://www.ppepca.com/pdfs/presentations/Scope_of_Tight_Gas_Reservoir.pdf

Of course, the price would be significantly higher than the cost production to incentivize investors.

ENI proposes putting the floor at $42 per boe which translates into $7.57 per mmBTU cost plus some additional profit margin.

It also suggests using oil price as reference and shows a graph that puts gas price at $10 per mmBTU when oil price is $100 a barrel.

The Express Tribune story I referred to in my post above says ENI wants $14 an mmBTU for shale gas.

Too hot to handle: Govt rejects shale gas price, terming it

I think the ET correspondent has misunderstood the figure.

The COST (not price) calculation I have seen from ENI is $14 per boe (barrel of oil equivalent).

Each boe has 5.55 mmBTU energy. So $14 per boe works out to about $2.53 per mmBTU.

http://www.ppepca.com/pdfs/presentations/Scope_of_Tight_Gas_Reservoir.pdf

Of course, the price would be significantly higher than the cost production to incentivize investors.

ENI proposes putting the floor at $42 per boe which translates into $7.57 per mmBTU cost plus some additional profit margin.

It also suggests using oil price as reference and shows a graph that puts gas price at $10 per mmBTU when oil price is $100 a barrel.

It will going to cost too much as there are foreign origin companies that are selling at $$$ cost. I think PSO who is willing to expand should try to convince GoP to do Exploration on its own for Oil, Gas and Minerals in Pakistan. Form up a company naming Pakistan Hydrocarbon and Minerals Corporation.

It will going to cost too much as there are foreign origin companies that are selling at $$$ cost. I think PSO who is willing to expand should try to convince GoP to do Exploration on its own for Oil, Gas and Minerals in Pakistan. Form up a company naming Pakistan Hydrocarbon and Minerals Corporation.

1. PSO is a distribution and retail co; it does not do exploration and production. Pakistan's state-owned OGDC and PPL do exploration and production.

2. The price of domestic tight gas is $6 per mmBTU, half of the price agreed for Iranian gas.

3. The price SSGC or SNGC or PSO pay for domestic oil and gas will be in Pak rupees, not in US dollars. Only a portion of it will be repatriated in US dollars by foreign companies (PGNiG, ENI, UEP, etc) which have stake in joint ventures with Pakistani companies like PPL and OGDC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom