What's new

Pakistan sets up military base in Swat Valley

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday announced the setting up of a permanent military base in the troubled Swat Valley where Taliban insurgents shot schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai in the head.

The scenic northwestern district slipped out of government control after Taliban fighters led by cleric Maulana Fazlullah, now chief of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), took control of the area in 2007 and waged a brutal campaign of beheadings, violence and multiple attacks on girls' schools.

By July 2009 the army declared the region back under their control, saying the rebels had all been killed, captured or fled, but more than 20,000 troops remained in Swat and adjacent districts.

“Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has in principle approved and announced a brigade level cantonment for Swat and (adjacent) Malakand areas,” his office said in a statement, adding that the approval came during his visit to Swat.

“The prime minister lauded the role played by the army in bringing peace and stability to the area.”

Political Analyst Hasan Askari said the army's permanent presence will help prevent the return of Taliban insurgents to the area.

“It is because of the internal security situation and the threat of the return of militancy that the army is making a permanent presence in Swat,” he told AFP.

“Had the army not been there, Taliban would have been in power in Swat.”

Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai, 16, became an international symbol of the right to education for all after surviving a 2012 Taliban attack in which she was shot in the head.

Nominated for the 2013 Nobel Peace prize, she was taken to Britain for treatment following the attack and goes to school in the central city of Birmingham.

Govt striving to de-radicalise youth: Nawaz

During his visit to the “de-radicalisation centre,” Prime Minister Sharif said the government desired to promote the atmosphere of peace, brotherhood and co-existence in the country.

He said the government was alive to the issues of backwardness, unemployment and economic deprivation in the country and was striving to address these through judicious distribution of resources.

The premier said that the de-radicalisation project has been lauded locally as well as internationally that has helped around 2,000 youngsters to live a normal life.

“I wish this programme is extended to other parts of the country as well, where the youth has adopted such course and require attention, they should be made healthy members of the society through constructive engagement. They are not enemies of Pakistan but have lost their direction,” the prime minister said.
dawn.com

I have change of view; hence now I support establishing northern bases, however, the cantt should not disturb the local populace and their livelihood and should be developed at some distant from the settled areas. @Spring Onion

Few years back i said on this very forum we should establish permanent bases in FATA and Malakand division .

in settled areas these will also lead to better infrastructure for locals so i support even within populated areas

It will help the locals .. And a pain in the *** of talibastards..
Brigade level cantts are a good idea..

I have change of view; hence now I support establishing northern bases, however, the cantt should not disturb the local populace and their livelihood and should be developed at some distant from the settled areas. @Spring Onion

Few years back i said on this very forum we should establish permanent bases in FATA and Malakand division .

in settled areas these will also lead to better infrastructure for locals so i support even within populated areas

It will help the locals .. And a pain in the *** of talibastards..
Brigade level cantts are a good idea..

point being the livelihood of the people should not be disturbed as we saw people whose properties were acquired in Swat, protested against it. unfortunately, army selects the best pieces for itself, rather than to develop an undeveloped nearby areas, like the british used to do.

point being the livelihood of the people should not be disturbed as we saw people whose properties were acquired in Swat, protested against it. unfortunately, army selects the best pieces for itself, rather than to develop an undeveloped nearby areas, like the british used to do.

I'm sorry but most cantonments were built by the British .. The ones we built are out of cities .. Multan,gujranwala etc to name a few .. So your wrong.

I'm sorry but most cantonments were built by the British .. The ones we built are out of cities .. Multan,gujranwala etc to name a few .. So your wrong.

Brit cantonments were built outside too even lahore one was basically far away from lahore. yes I may be wrong to generalize but in case of Swat cantt, the locals lost livelihood.. the issue should be addressed..

Brit cantonments were built outside too even lahore one was basically far away from lahore. yes I may be wrong to generalize but in case of Swat cantt, the locals lost livelihood.. the issue should be addressed..

Again when the Lahore cantonment was set up it was away from the city .. And surrounded by fields n cows..

Why did it take so long ?

This should have happened years ago.

Our People from the Tribal Areas would probably never consent to that; they joined Pakistan on the condition of internal autonomy & one aspect of that was their lands would be clear from military presence of such a scale hence why Quaid-e-Azam asked the Army to pull back as soon as he took over !

Our People from the Tribal Areas would probably never consent to that; they joined Pakistan on the condition of internal autonomy & one aspect of that was their lands would be clear from military presence of such a scale hence why Quaid-e-Azam asked the Army to pull back as soon as he took over !

alot of water has flown by since 47.

things are different now.

Why did it take so long ?

This should have happened years ago.

We never needed these before. there was peace and also no Afghan intrusion in the past

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom