What's new

Pakistan’s Impending Defeat in Afghanistan

I
....... but only because Pakistan is failing to do what needs to be done.I have said before, and I will say it agian: All of FATA will be cleaned up, one way or another. Either Pakistan does it, with US help if need be, or it will be done for them by "other means".
If it could be done by 'other means', Afghanistan would have been 'cleaned up' by now.

The issue is not one of Pakistan failing to do what needs to be done, but of the US hubris and intransigence in pursuing policies that are flawed, have not borne results, and expecting Pakistan to do the same.

The person who wrote this column has a pathological dislike for Pakistan. The column heading is so stupid that I did not bother reading it any further. And many of these anti-Pakistan guys are in the US think-tanks feeding absolutely rubbish and biased info

Iran, China, and Russia don't care who is in charge as long as Afghanistan doesn't become a training ground for their terrorists. The proof is in the pudding per say as Iran and Russia have recently gotten closer with Pakistan as they see the return of the Taliban inevitable.

Exactly!

Talibans always had soft spot for religious extremists. Whether be it China's Uyghur Muslim militants, Iran's Sunni militants or Pakistani militants (people who hijacked Indian Airlines plane and were allowed to land it in Kandhar under Taliban rule).

If it could be done by 'other means', Afghanistan would have been 'cleaned up' by now.

The issue is not one of Pakistan failing to do what needs to be done, but of the US hubris and intransigence in pursuing policies that are flawed, have not borne results, and expecting Pakistan to do the same.

I can respect your point of view, while disagreeing with it. Since the game is not over yet, I can be patient in seeing how the policies unfold and adapt on both sides. The results will speak for themselves.

I can respect your point of view, while disagreeing with it. Since the game is not over yet, I can be patient in seeing how the policies unfold and adapt on both sides. The results will speak for themselves.
You can disagree with my POV all you want, but the facts speak for themselves, that the massive US/NATO military and economic presence in Afghanistan has not 'cleaned up' the country after ten years of total occupation and control - given the existing experience your claimed 'other means to clean up FATA' is clearly a flawed and already debunked policy prescription.

BTW, speaking of 'pursuing failed policies', perhaps you should take some time out to criticize the continued US support of 'terrorists/insurgents/rebels' (Syria at the moment, and FATA as well, given MKB's analysis), since this would be the very kind of 'flawed policy' you allege Pakistan is pursuing.

You can disagree with my POV all you want, but the facts speak for themselves, that the massive US/NATO military and economic presence in Afghanistan has not 'cleaned up' the country after ten years of total occupation and control - given the existing experience your claimed 'other means to clean up FATA' is clearly a flawed and already debunked policy prescription.

If the facts speak for themselves, actual results positively shout. Not all of the results are in yet. I will wait for them.

BTW, speaking of 'pursuing failed policies', perhaps you should take some time out to criticize the continued US support of 'terrorists/insurgents/rebels' (Syria at the moment, and FATA as well, given MKB's analysis), since this would be the very kind of 'flawed policy' you allege Pakistan is pursuing.

You may or may not have noticed, but I do not concern myself much with other parts of the world in this forum as much, since my interests here primarily lie with Pakistan and USA. Syria? God bless 'em!

Would you please care to present any tangible and credible evidence to substantiate "continued US support of 'terrorists/insurgents/rebels' in FATA"?

If the facts speak for themselves, actual results positively shout. Not all of the results are in yet. I will wait for them.
The results, if Western commentators themselves are to be believed, are abysmal in terms of ending the Taliban insurgent movement in Afghanistan, complicated by the lack of a viable government that can deliver services effectively.

In that analysis lies a reference to the key aspect of COIN - genuine, popular local governance. When that key factor is not available to the US in Afghanistan, after 10 years of war and total occupation, it would be foolish to suggest that it would somehow become available in FATA, were the US to employ your claimed 'other means' to seek to 'clean it up'.
You may or may not have noticed, but I do not concern myself much with other parts of the world in this forum as much, since my interests here primarily lie with Pakistan and USA. Syria? God bless 'em!
If your interests lie primarily with the USA (and Pakistan), then certainly US support for terrorist proxies in Syria and FATA should concern you.

i have a question for pakistanis. what do ordinary pakistani people think is the best outcome for Pakistan in regard to what is happening in Afghanistan? it appears they share a long border and all that crap keep overflowing into Pakistan.

would ordinary Pakistanis rather see a peace treaty between Pakiatan and the Taleban and work as allies as in the past?
Paksitanis seem to have this eternal soft corner for afghanistan that can never fade no matter how much they stab you in the back, noo matter how much they ruin our country, our economy, our cities and our entire lives.

Exactly!

Talibans always had soft spot for religious extremists. Whether be it China's Uyghur Muslim militants, Iran's Sunni militants or Pakistani militants (people who hijacked Indian Airlines plane and were allowed to land it in Kandhar under Taliban rule).

Yeah but that was in the past which is why the aforementioned countries are trying to negotiate with the Quetta Shura. Taliban just want their country back as along as those countries do not interfere in Afghanistan they will not retaliated against.

Example being that recently the Taliban praised India for not getting involved and declared Indians are not their enemies. It is as simple as that.

Paksitanis seem to have this eternal soft corner for afghanistan that can never fade no matter how much they stab you in the back, noo matter how much they ruin our country, our economy, our cities and our entire lives.

You forget no matter how much they curse Pakistan even though Pakistan has taken care of them for the past 2-3 decades.

Pakistan ill wishes of keeping Afganisthan under her control and treating it like a her backyard will not be successful...Already Pakistan's history of supporting taliban is back-firing badly... Pakistan should leave Afghanistan alone for good or for bad !!! Let Afghanis work for their country independently & decide for their future... :agree:

Dear bond,

It is important to realize that we cannot have a safe and stable region without bringing peace and stability to Afghanistan. The current situation requires the regional partners to play its role in achieving our common objectives. And that’s the reason that we’ve asked Pakistan to go after the safe havens that are being used to orchestrate terrorist attacks throughout the region. The recent cross border attacks in Pakistan again emphasize the importance of cross border coordination between the regional allies. We cannot allow our differences to become an advantage to these terrorists. The responsibility of protecting our citizens, our lands, should hold the utmost importance. Our failure to acknowledge the threat that’s looming over the region could only result in more chaos and mayhem. The fact is that we are all victims of terrorism. The U.S, Pakistan and Afghanistan continue to pay the highest price in fighting terrorism. It makes no sense to play the blame game, when all of our nations have made great sacrifices in the WOT. We must place the importance of bringing peace and stability to the region above everything else. We must address issues that are preventing us from cooperating against our common enemies. We must combine our strength and go after these terrorists with full force.

LTC Taylor,
DET, United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Dear bond,

It is important to realize that we cannot have a safe and stable region without bringing peace and stability to Afghanistan. The current situation requires the regional partners to play its role in achieving our common objectives. And that’s the reason that we’ve asked Pakistan to go after the safe havens that are being used to orchestrate terrorist attacks throughout the region. The recent cross border attacks in Pakistan again emphasize the importance of cross border coordination between the regional allies. We cannot allow our differences to become an advantage to these terrorists. The responsibility of protecting our citizens, our lands, should hold the utmost importance. Our failure to acknowledge the threat that’s looming over the region could only result in more chaos and mayhem. The fact is that we are all victims of terrorism. The U.S, Pakistan and Afghanistan continue to pay the highest price in fighting terrorism. It makes no sense to play the blame game, when all of our nations have made great sacrifices in the WOT. We must place the importance of bringing peace and stability to the region above everything else. We must address issues that are preventing us from cooperating against our common enemies. We must combine our strength and go after these terrorists with full force.

LTC Taylor,
DET, United States Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Agreed, however the double games on BOTH sides needs to stop in order to fulfill all objectives.

pakistan also gets defeated in cricket does that means pak army is in cricket??

Point is that its not about pak army but the mission and plan of the pakistan which is going to fail.

That made no sense. :what: Why bring up irrelevant topics like losses in cricket is this some type of way to troll?

you are wasting badwidth discussing something that is not there ---- the west european concept of "nation"-state (following the treaty of westphalia theory) ceased to exist after the invasion of afghanistan - the situation has now reverted to concept of nations on basis of faith -- thus the pakhtun & erstwhile pakistan are one nation ------
Wtf you smoking bro?

USA and Nato should mind its steps near Pak border....Looking at present scenario heat is building up inside GHQ...it can explode any time if any foul happens involving USA , Nato etc..but the results would be severe affecting Pakistan off course but it would make a permanent hole in US,Nato allies or it may spread to India too. They would be taken by afghan Taliban in Afghanistan from one side...the tribal people of fata....and yes the PAk army too from other..Tik Tok Time is tikking...

The results, if Western commentators themselves are to be believed, are abysmal in terms of ending the Taliban insurgent movement in Afghanistan, complicated by the lack of a viable government that can deliver services effectively.

In that analysis lies a reference to the key aspect of COIN - genuine, popular local governance. When that key factor is not available to the US in Afghanistan, after 10 years of war and total occupation, it would be foolish to suggest that it would somehow become available in FATA, were the US to employ your claimed 'other means' to seek to 'clean it up'.

If your interests lie primarily with the USA (and Pakistan), then certainly US support for terrorist proxies in Syria and FATA should concern you.

Like I said, not all of the results are in yet.

Back
Top Bottom