Pakistan’s Edhi among favourites for Nobel Peace Prize

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan’s Edhi among favourites for Nobel Peace Prize

edhi_670.jpg

OSLO: Russian dissidents and religious leaders working for Muslim-Christian reconciliation are among the favourites to win the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize when the result is announced on Friday.

The year has brought few notable peace breakthroughs, leaving an unusually large selection of names in circulation and perhaps increasing the chance of a surprise winner.

The betting agency Unibet favours Maggie Gobran, a Coptic Christian nun who runs a children’s mission in Cairo, giving her a 13 per cent chance of winning.

Others mentioned include Pakistani philanthropist and welfare worker Abdul Sattar Edhi and Nigerian religious leaders John Onaiyekan and Mohamed Sa’ad Abubakar, who have helped to calm their country’s Christian-Muslim violence this year.

A direct recognition of the Arab Spring is unlikely, however, as the committee gave part of its 2011 award to the journalist Tawakkol Karman to recognise her work in Yemen’s transformation, and it rarely visits an issue two years running.

“I’m pretty sure the committee would like to honour the monumental events in the Middle East,” said Jan Egeland, the Director of Human Rights Watch Europe.

“But as the Arab Spring turns to ‘autumn’, this is becoming very difficult, so an approach may be to look at those who work for dialogue among religions,” said Egeland, a former United Nations under-secretary-general.

Pakistan

Ḥashshāshīn;3490286 said:
He has to win. What a great man. How the heck Obama won it I don't even know.

It's quite easy: just kill a few hundred thousand people and you'll receive one as well.

Besides, Mr Edhi isn't going to win one until he loses the beard...as well as ideally drop the name 'Abdul Sattar' and adopt the name Michael.

Michael Edhi :tup: :rolleyes:

He is the man and must win..otherwise dont trust its nobel peace award but a nobel murderer award as Obama got.

Its strange tht he didnt got it yet...

nyways it would be great for Nobel Peace Price IF Mr Abdul Satar Edhi get it, cz for the work Edhi sb & his wife bilqees Edhi did this Nobel Prize is nothing for them.

BTW they already have lost the credibility of this award when they gave it to US Pres Obama for wht ever reason...

nyways it would be great for Nobel Peace Price IF Mr Abdul Satar Edhi get it, cz for the work Edhi sb & his wife bilqees Edhi did this Nobel Prize is nothing for them.

BTW they already have lost the credibility of this award when they gave it to US Pres Obama for wht ever reason...

He is not the only one to do good work...there are countless people all around the world who give their life for service of humanity...so chill...he will get if he is best in that category for this year... And plz dont throw out the contributions of the other nominees in this category...

On the side note... I have still not able to figure out how Obama even got nominated in that category let alone win it..

He is not the only one to do good work...there are countless people all around the world who give their life for service of humanity...so chill...he will get if he is best in that category for this year... And plz dont throw out the contributions of the other nominees in this category...

On the side note... I have still not able to figure out how Obama even got nominated in that category let alone win it..

even indians here are putting nice comments, you seem to be extremly low life indian troll who grows on the diet of jealousy envy and hatred perhaps??

When Obama won, perhaps, the highest contemporary award (I consider 'Peace' as the highest of all Nobels), the explanation given was that the 'hope' generated by Obama was worth the prize. Well, YEAH, compared to McCain, Obama has been a saint! But the Nobel Committee lost a lot of respect for their short-sighted decision on that one. Imagine: Sometimes it takes decades to get the Nobel Prize in Chemistry before it gets fully established what the research actually was able to achieve. But here...a newly elected politician who, no doubt, generated a lot of 'hope' (and hot air), got one within a few weeks/months! I hope Mr. Obama, if he gets re-elected, at least earn some of that!

As to Edhi, yes, he is a living saint to be doing so much, for so long, for so selflessly, and in such a tough environment--not only because of poverty but also because of violence and intolerance. Imagine the difference Edhi has made in the lives of so many over the decades? Imagine the hope he has given to so many millions? Imagine the ethical standards he has setup on national level which must have inspired thousands others to emulate Edhi.

I agree. I think Edhi could easily have qualified for the Nobel over half-a-dozen years ago. But the Nobel committees currently like making people wait - giving the awards to old folk approaching retirement rather than young 'uns who could actually use the money to further their causes more effectively. That's not supposed to be the purpose of the Prize but that's how they do it.

The exception is the Peace Prize committee which hands out prizes for overtly partisan political reasons rather than true merit.

I agree. I think Edhi could easily have qualified for the Nobel over half-a-dozen years ago. But the Nobel committees currently like making people wait - giving the awards to old folk approaching retirement rather than young 'uns who could actually use the money to further their causes more effectively. That's not supposed to be the purpose of the Prize but that's how they do it.

The exception is the Peace Prize committee which hands out prizes for overtly partisan political reasons rather than true merit.

Edhi won't get the prize for the same reason that Gandhi didn't; they want proof of a commitment to peace. The committee will reject him because of his comment that the leaders of the PPP, ANP, MQM should be sewn up in a sack and thrown in the Indian ocean.

Edhi won't get the prize for the same reason that Gandhi didn't; they want proof of a commitment to peace.
Bah! For Gandhi "peace" was simply his dominant tactic and Gandhi's aims were 95% political independence and 5% people's welfare. One can't compare Gandhi and Edhi in the same breath.

Bah! For Gandhi "peace" was simply his dominant tactic and Gandhi's aims were 95% political independence and 5% people's welfare. One can't compare Gandhi and Edhi in the same breath.

Given its recent recipients I'm not sure you can say the prize is non-political.

I wonder Obama got it for bringing eternal peace to the people by droning and bombing them thin pakistan and afghanistan.................:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom