What's new

Pakistan-Russia: can old rivals be strategic partners?

Awsome news hope our new frienship takes us far .. and guys plzz never mind the dumb haters ,trolls and jerks they live to hate Pakistan.

And how exactly would that be relevant in this very thread ? :azn:

Refer back to my previous post. I had said, losing a battle to someone does not make you their rival. As far as Russia was concerned, their biggest enemy in that war was USA and the Mujahideen, one due to the numbers, the other due to traditional rivalry.

Where it says 200 SSG commondos killed???? Mujaheedeen Rebels under heavy Russian Arty fire is not 200 SSG commondos.... So once again where is the source of your claim......

I've really got to stop typing without checking. :(

Here's a source that Pakistan lost 200 men in total, and SSG participated in that battle. But since there is no direct mention that it was SSG guys that died, I guess you're right. But no guarantee of either argument.

EzioAltaïr;3474433 said:
Refer back to my previous post. I had said, losing a battle to someone does not make you their rival.

I think that Pakistan-Russian were old rivals need not even be discussed here , there are plenty of facts to support they were ... You aren't considered a friend when you join anti communist treaties , support USA and allow U-2 to spy from your soil , and a rival when your active participation in a war brings about a dissolution of a country :azn: not only with weapons and training to resistance fighters but active participation of your troops and airforce downing Soviet jets ... About time , you actually think before clicking the " reply with quote " link ...

I think that Pakistan-Russian were old rivals need not even be discussed here ,

If you say so, I won't discuss it further. I just wanted to make my point that I'm not really sure whether Russia considered Pakistan a rival.

there are plenty of facts to support they were ... You aren't considered a friend when you join anti communist treaties , support USA and allow U-2 to spy from your soil , and a rival when your active participation in a war brings about a dissolution of a country :azn: not only with weapons and training but active participation of your troops and airforce downing Soviet jets ...

Exactly, Pakistan cannot be considered a friend for Russia, that's a well known fact.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=defi...&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Take a look at the definition of rival here. Competing with someone for superiority in any field, something which Russia definitely hasn't been doing with Pakistan.

I think that Pakistan-Russian were old rivals need not even be discussed here , there are plenty of facts to support they were ... You aren't considered a friend when you join anti communist treaties , support USA and allow U-2 to spy from your soil , and a rival when your active participation in a war brings about a dissolution of a country :azn: not only with weapons and training to resistance fighters but active participation of your troops and airforce downing Soviet jets ... About time , you actually think before clicking the " reply with quote " link ...

Carefully look up collapse of USSR; show me one mention of Afghanistan war as a reason. This hokum only resides in pdf to self serve pakistani ego

EzioAltaïr;3474523 said:
If you say so, I won't discuss it further. I just wanted to make my point that I'm not really sure whether Russia considered Pakistan a rival.

Exactly, Pakistan cannot be considered a friend for Russia, that's a well known fact.

Feel free to discuss it , I just said it was my opinion ... Rival is alternatively understood as enemy , adversary or opponent if it helps ...

At present , Kremlin is warming upto Islamabad and things change quickly in the International geopolitics ...

Carefully look up collapse of USSR; show me one mention of Afghanistan war as a reason. This hokum only resides in pdf to self serve pakistani ego

Afghanistan war put a huge strain on the already collapsing Soviet economy , the final nail in the coffin ... That so called " hokum " has been discussed plenty of times in PDF , only if you read a few threads ...

Feel free to discuss it , I just said it was my opinion ... Rival is alternatively understood as enemy , adversary or opponent if it helps ...

At present , Kremlin is warming upto Islamabad and things change quickly in the International geopolitics ...

Afghanistan war put a huge strain on the already collapsing Soviet economy , the final nail in the coffin ... That so called " hokum " has been discussed plenty of times in PDF , only if you read a few threads ...

Soviet union would have collapsed irrespective of afghan war; Afghan war is not the primary reason for soviet collapse, Pakistan taking the over the claim of hammering final nails in the coffin of USSR for lack of better words is "hokum". There have been numerous publications on the actual reasons for the collapse of USSR, I recommend you read some.

Strategic partner, I think not, but Pakistan has something to offer to Russians. They can facilitate Russians in Afghanistan because of their influence and access to Gulf. This I have mentioned many times.

But one should keep that in mind that it will start with economic relations.

Strategic relations takes decades of Confidence Building Measures. and takes few months to get destroyed.

Strategic partner, I think not, but Pakistan has something to offer to Russians. They can facilitate Russians in Afghanistan because of their influence and access to Gulf. This I have mentioned many times.

But one should keep that in mind that it will start with economic relations.

Strategic relations takes decades of Confidence Building Measures. and takes few months to get destroyed.

You are quit rite at this topic.....I find myself in complete agreement with you

We Pakistani should not so immediately start expecting a strategic relationship with Russia....it is nothing more then start of bilateral relationship.....In Afghanistan context it is more like Andhe or Langhre ki jori.....

No,because russia is a close friend with india,and pakistan is not capable of buying russian coastly weapons and hardware so they just stick to china,s cheap 3rd class weapons.

There's no permanent friendship or enmity when it comes to the protection of the interests. International politics don't move the way as native politics.

India is now into a different league, Russia won't mind Pakistan to protect its interests in Asia.

No,because russia is a close friend with india,and pakistan is not capable of buying russian coastly weapons and hardware so they just stick to china,s cheap 3rd class weapons.

True, Pakistan does not need Russian "Coastly" weapons and true we just stick to "China's" cheap 3rd class weapons.

Russia just needs another neutral country in the continent, Iran is unstable and so is Pakistan.. The Russian warmth has everything to do with American cold...

Pakistan has a lot to give but a stable environment is needed..

There's no permanent friendship or enmity when it comes to the protection of the interests. International politics don't move the way as native politics.

India is now into a different league, Russia won't mind Pakistan to protect its interests in Asia.

True with your first point but what do you think Pakistan can offer Russia that may offset the Indian militaries budget? Nothing, as far as I can see. Would you think that anyone, Russia included would unnecessarily put 10's of billions at risk for something that none of you can define? Countries, as you said look out for their interests & to put it simply, it's not in Russian interest to irritate India, especially when as you might have noticed, India has other options. The Russians do not necessarily offer technologies to India because they want to; they do it because they feel that they have to, especially to offset some of the technological edge that their western competitors may have. Russian & Indian closeness today (as opposed to during the cold war days) is a matter of mutual benefit not of any largesse. That hasn't changed & while Pakistan can certainly look at improving relations with Russia, any idea that Russia might change its outlook to make Pakistan a more preferred partner as opposed to India is , i'm afraid, a product of desperate minds searching for crumbs rather than a well thought out analysis.

Back
Top Bottom