What's new

Pakistan quietly preparing for civil war in Afghanistan

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good read: It is encouraging that contingency plans are being planned for the worst case scenario - but I guess given the competence of the Pakistani State not much should be expected.

Markets are the best predictors of futures and the rising house prices in Peshawar are an ominous sign.

I think we're also fast loosing out on the window to push out the Afghan refugees who exert an enormous burden on the Pakistani state - but I guess that's wishing for too much.

The original article can be read here.

Pakistan quietly preparing for civil war in Afghanistan

ISLAMABAD: Recognising the realities on the ground leading to fast changing events inside Afghanistan, with no one having a clue to what might happen subsequently after Nato withdraws next year, Pakistan is focusing on how to ‘secure’ its own territory, as it does not rule out a ‘civil war’ once again. It appears to be ready to face a blowback this time around.

It is for this reason that it realises that it is imperative to focus on a ‘contingency plan’ and avoid a situation where its own fragile internal security receives a further jolt from its western borders.

“It is difficult to understand and uncertainties surround us —— but if nothing moves we are heading towards a civil war (inside Afghanistan) which we want to avoid. Specially, if all reconciliation efforts do not succeed then there is likelihood of civil war. Then there will be a spillover into Pakistan and this will create its own problems, especially from the Pakistan Taliban”, said diplomatic sources in a meeting with the media here.

It is for this reason, said one of them, that this contingency plan has to ensure a scenario, which ensures that Pakistan’s own territory is well protected.As prices of property keep rising in areas outside Peshawar in anticipation of what comes next from across the Durrand Line, at this point the diplomat said the government could not contemplate the number of Afghan refugees that could flow in if there is a civil war.

However, there appeared some room for optimism, the diplomat said even though the Afghan Taliban have closed their Qatar office temporarily to protest demands that they remove a sign which said that the Qatar office was that of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.

“This could just be a ‘tactical’ move by the Afghan Taliban to get noticed. The situation was mishandled in Qatar. However, talks can still be held in places other than the Qatar office, and also talks with the Northern Alliance can be held separately”, added the diplomat.

Another ‘tactical’ move that Pakistan points out is when out of sheer frustration with Hamid Karzai, Obama has threatened considering speeding up the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan, ensuring that there would be none left after 2014.

Refusing to take the bait as Karzai’s rhetoric against Pakistan broke all barriers recently, the diplomat refused to get ruffled and instead said: “While Karzai is trying to become popular (domestically) when he takes on Pakistan and the US, our relations are very critical and Pakistan should look for immediate objectives. Of course the US will be happy to see the Taliban talk the Afghan High Peace Council even if it is under protest”.

Pakistan is also getting a sense that some Taliban groups are getting tired of the war and efforts should be made to get other such like-minded groups to support them. “Otherwise the hardliners will take over “, he said.

His comments came at a time when the Pakistani Taliban announced the dismissal of its spokesman, Ehsanullah Ehsan, signaling a further split amongst the militants.

@ADMINs

I forgot to put the correct title on this thread -- could you please change the title to: "Pakistan quietly preparing for civil war in Afghanistan" - I can't seem to be able to do that.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 2014 if any worst thing happen in Afghanistan and with its people then only one person is to be blamed and that is Karzai.

time to seal the border;

on demand, police officials should ask suspicious people to display ID cards....those who fail to comply should be sent to some office where they would be photographed and their thumb-prints taken - and then they be sent off

Afghan embassy should take care of their repatriation.

Pakistan is facing so many disasters - this is one that can seriously impact demographics and more importantly -- the national security. The population growth is already higher than it should be, more explosion of population - and that too of undocumented people - will be disastrous

time to seal the border;

on demand, police officials should ask suspicious people to display ID cards....those who fail to comply should be sent to some office where they would be photographed and their thumb-prints taken - and then they be sent off

Afghan embassy should take care of their repatriation.

Pakistan is facing so many disasters - this is one that can seriously impact demographics and more importantly -- the national security. The population growth is already higher than it should be, more explosion of population - and that too of undocumented people - will be disastrous

You expect a huge inflow of Afghan refugees again? which it seems is the most obvious thing to happen - what Pakistan should do is to sensitize the world bodies about this impending scenario and seek help to curtail it or at least aid it to handle it.

You expect a huge inflow of Afghan refugees again? which it seems is the most obvious thing to happen - what Pakistan should do is to sensitize the world bodies about this impending scenario and seek help to curtail it or at least aid it to handle it.

Afghans for sale 2 for 10 dollars take them while they are hot.New ones coming in 2014 :omghaha:

No refund or return.:closed:

So how many can i pack for you illusion8 :raise:

Afghans for sale 2 for 10 dollars take them while they are hot.New ones coming in 2014 :omghaha:

No refund or return.:closed:

So how many can i pack for you illusion8 :raise:

We have our own pole vaulters to deal with - so no none at the moment. :D,

Though, we did take in 60,000 Afghan refugees the last time round.

I do have a point here, the UNO studies show Pakistan is the biggest host for refugees in the world, and what's coming is a couple million more. So you guys do have a strong case that can be raised to the world bodies.

Why wouldn't we prepare?

If there are to be any effects of fighting in Afghanistan to other nations, Pakistan would be first and most affected.

Why wouldn't we prepare?

If there are to be any effects of fighting in Afghanistan to other nations, Pakistan would be first and most affected.

Okay Sir, but exactly what are we doing that will help us prepare for the aftermath of the US withdrawal? I mean, actual, concrete, effective steps, not rhetoric or useless tokens.

Back
Top Bottom