ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan pulverise US for place in final
By Our Correspondent
Published: December 12, 2013
644211-KabaddiPHOTOAFP-1386788603-638-640x480.jpg

The national team won all five matches in their Group B that had Canada, England, Sierra Leone, Scotland and Denmark. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

KARACHI: Pakistan men’s team stormed into the 4th Kabaddi World Cup final, thrashing USA 51-33 in their semi-final on Wednesday in India.

The triumph is another feather in Pakistan’s cap in the ongoing campaign; they are the only team besides the hosts to remain unbeaten in the competition so far.

The national team won all five matches in their Group B that had Canada, England, Sierra Leone, Scotland and Denmark.

In their opening match, Pakistan had defeated Scotland 63-26 and kept up their winning form thereafter against Denmark (77-22), Sierra Leone (70-13), Canada (61-29) and England (69-28).

Women team defeated in semi-final

On the other hand the national women team’s dream run in the World Cup ended in the semi-final. They were beaten 46-16 in a one-sided encounter by the hosts India and the women in green will now take on Denmark for the third position play-off.

The national team was placed in Group B along with England, Mexico and Denmark. The team had showed promise at the start as they were only narrowly beaten by group leaders Denmark 45-39 in the opening match, while they bounced back against England in their second match, winning 41-30.

They then overcame Mexico 49-24 in the final group match to qualify for the last-four round. However, Wednesday’s defeat saw them exiting the World Cup in which they had participated for the first time.

Published in The Express Tribune, December 12th, 2013.

Like Sports on Facebook, follow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

@IndoUS The US also has a Cricket Team. Doesn't mean they're good at it, does it?;)
I think apart from India and Pakistan, only Iran and Bangladesh have a strong Kabaddi team.

@IndoUS The US also has a Cricket Team. Doesn't mean they're good at it, does it?;)
I think apart from India and Pakistan, only Iran and Bangladesh have a strong Kabaddi team.

I watched the match, most the US team was made up of desis. I have to say it was a really good match and the US team played really well especially in the first half. One guy something Singh was an absolute natural, well played US.:usflag::pakistan:

I for one will hold my celebration till Pakistan pulverizes India in the finals. Women already lost, i hope men don't.

I for one will hold my celebration till Pakistan pulverizes India in the finals. Women already lost, i hope men don't.

Dude...celebrate the fact that first ever women team from Pakistan with a mere 20 days training reached semi-final...i am following matches....they are really good and i am sure they are going to give a good run for their money to anyone next year...as far as men's team is concerned i hope it is going to be a tight match...last year there were high hopes but Pakistan team disappointed...match ended up pretty much one sided :( .... though i must say whatever i have seen this time Pakistani team is young and some of the lads look huge...let's hope for a great kabaddi match :)....Saadi Ma Khed needs to be a part of Olympics :)

Come on guys, get real. A score of 51-33 is not Pulverization, is it ?

Maybe we can just claim victory and be happy wit that.

Dude...celebrate the fact that first ever women team from Pakistan with a mere 20 days training reached semi-final...i am following matches....they are really good and i am sure they are going to give a good run for their money to anyone next year...as far as men's team is concerned i hope it is going to be a tight match...last year there were high hopes but Pakistan team disappointed...match ended up pretty much one sided :( .... though i must say whatever i have seen this time Pakistani team is young and some of the lads look huge...let's hope for a great kabaddi match :)....Saadi Ma Khed needs to be a part of Olympics :)

I am not discrediting their achievements however you and i can both agree that a loss at the hands of your arch rivals is a bit more than the usual loss and this is why i said that lets hope men don't because they too disappointed last year in their match with India.

I am not discrediting their achievements however you and i can both agree that a loss at the hands of your arch rivals is a bit more than the usual loss and this is why i said that lets hope men don't because they too disappointed last year in their match with India.

comon mate...Just because the arch rival is India doesn't mean gals with a mere 20 day training can beat team having a decade of experience...If you expectation was that they will beat India then i am sorry the expectation was wrong to begin with...I am really proud of what they have done...and their captain was amazing lady...Even in case of Pakistani men team odd are against them...I don't mind either side winning as long as their is a tough match(faswan in our language :D)....at the end of the day all i want is Kabaddi to be played in every nook and corner of all the countries participating...and hopefully it will reach Olympics..

comon mate...Just because the arch rival is India doesn't mean gals with a mere 20 day training can beat team having a decade of experience...If you expectation was that they will beat India then i am sorry the expectation was wrong to begin with...I am really proud of what they have done...and their captain was amazing lady...Even in case of Pakistani men team odd are against them...I don't mind either side winning as long as their is a tough match(faswan in our language :D)....at the end of the day all i want is Kabaddi to be played in every nook and corner of all the countries participating...and hopefully it will reach Olympics..

I wasn't aware of their 20 days training only part. I am not much of a Kabadi follower myself so don't know too much about our teams. You on the other hand are better informed. When exactly is the finals between men?

I wasn't aware of their 20 days training only part. I am not much of a Kabadi follower myself so don't know too much about our teams. You on the other hand are better informed. When exactly is the finals between men?

Here you go my friend....World Kabaddi Cup 2013 Schedule - Watch live kabaddi matches | Live Kabaddi

not only 20 days this is the first time Pakistan women team has participated in world cup...they lost their first match and thereafter there was no looking back before India stopped them unfortunately...Today is there match with denmark for third place...also watch India's final with New-Zealand(women's)...New Zealand has practically send their rugby team... they are killing our desi gals like anything :D....thanks to the technique that they(desi gals) may hold up against them...just wait for 2-3 years before west is going to kill us even in kabaddi :D

Last edited:
India has always been a no.1 team in Kabaddi having won all the 5 WCs till date defeating Iran (2004 & 2007), Canada (2011) & Pakistan (2010, 2012) in Finals and Gold medals in all Asian Games so far (7). I expect this trend to continue. Btw, final is on 14th.

India has always been a no.1 team in Kabaddi having won all the 5 WCs till date defeating Iran (2004 & 2007), Canada (2011) & Pakistan (2010, 2012) in Finals and Gold medals in all Asian Games so far (7). I expect this trend to continue. Btw, final is on 14th.
Well i am sure you are following matches...What i can see at this stage is that other teams are picking up very fast...Guys/Gals of foreign teams look much bigger and stronger than our chaps...and they are catching fast on technique as well...I am sure future years are going to be very exciting for Kabaddi... :)

Back
Top Bottom