What's new

Imran survived player revolt at 1992 World Cup - Miandad

Imran Khan is a true leader. Miandad no doubt is a great player. No batsman I think was better than what Miandad was.

Comparing Miandad with Imran and making Miandad the reason for Imran success only serves MQM propaganda of ethnic division and pulling down Imran Khan. If Miandad was the force behind Imran, then why Miandad was not able to become as good a leader as Imran was?

After Imran, the only captain worthy of mention has been Wasim Akram, and now Misbah ul Haq.

this is exactly the purpose of this lame thread by terrorist mqmer !

he dnt deserve importance of IK .. IK has a party to run ... moreover most of the famous crickiters love him .. he dnt mind if some someone who retired 2.5 decades ago will start saying somethng now to get attention ...
Please stop seeing everything in the context of PTI versus non-PTI and stop worshiping Imran as god, for he is not one. If Imran is a big name in Cricket, Miandad is bigger, and it is simple as that. Go and check it out in the archives of the cricket.

And it is not about who deserves what. A statement has been made from a former cricketer, and not anyone, but one of the greatest that cricket has ever produced. If he is wrong, Imran should deny, or other former team members will in due course of time. We need to wait to see if it was true or not. I don't think I am talking Algebra here, which is giving you knee-jerk response.

Imran Khan is a true leader. Miandad no doubt is a great player. No batsman I think was better than what Miandad was.

Comparing Miandad with Imran and making Miandad the reason for Imran success only serves MQM propaganda of ethnic division and pulling down Imran Khan. If Miandad was the force behind Imran, then why Miandad was not able to become as good a leader as Imran was?

After Imran, the only captain worthy of mention has been Wasim Akram, and now Misbah ul Haq.

Because Miandad wasn't a Punjabi.

Pakistan was very lucky... their match against england got washed out..otherwise they would not hav qualified for the semis

Pakistan and south africa match also got washed out, infact, Pakistan had to suffer the black cricketing law of those times and lost unfairly to SA

Why not wait for a statement from Imran? If a denial statement was not made from him, then perhaps Miandad was right. I guess we should really stop prophesizing things for we are not Allah (naooz-o-billah), only whom has the knowledge of unknown.

Imran was (still is) an arrogant person; considering his arrogant personality, a team revolt is not out of the question.

I has nothing to do with prophesizing mate. This story looks like flawed.

1) Most of the team members were in the team just because IK himself, and they all still praise IK till date (Inzi, Wasim, Waqar etc)

2) IK wasn't new captain, he was leading the team since way before the WC, so all team members already knew his captaincy style then why they revolted just before semi final?

3) Why no one else from that team ever talked about this in past 21 years? Why only Miandad has spoken about it now, just after few days of anniversary of that famous WC win, which is celebrated widely merely a few days ago?

4) Even if there was the revolt, Miandad failed to give exact specific reasons for that revolt. Like I have already said, everyone in the team was well aware of IK's captaincy style already so this shouldn't be a problem at the time when your team is standing at brick of semi final after heroic entry into the semis.

5) Why everyone let the revolt go after Miandad asked them? Do you personally think Miandad had more influence on boy than the captain?

6) What was the purpose of revolt at that time when IK had already announced his retirement after WC? Come on, it was a matter of one match and Pakistan's triumph in WC would be over as well as IK's career, no?

And I never said IK is not arrogant, whole world knows this. Also I don't think any explanation will come from IK about this, he has a lot of other important things in hands right now. Miandad might need such things but IK has progress way ahead of these things. If I was IK, at least I wouldn't respond, but lets see..

Last edited:
I has nothing to do with prophesizing mate. This story looks like flawed.

1) Most of the team members were in the team just because IK himself, and they all still praise IK till date (Inzi, Wasim, Waqar etc)

2) IK wasn't new captain, he was leading the team since way before the WC, so all team members already knew his captaincy style then why they revolted just before semi final?

3) Why no one else from that team ever talked about this in past 21 years? Why only Miandad has spoken about it now, just after few days of anniversary of that famous WC win, which is celebrated widely merely a few days ago?

4) Even if there was the revolt, Miandad failed to give exact specific reasons for that revolt. Like I have already said, everyone in the team was well aware of IK's captaincy style already so this shouldn't be a problem at the time when your team is standing at brick of semi final after heroic entry into the semis.

5) Why everyone let the revolt go after Miandad asked them? Do you personally think Miandad had more influence on boy than the captain?

6) What was the purpose of revolt at that time when IK had already announced his retirement after WC? Come on, it was a matter of one match and Pakistan's triumph in WC would be over as well as IK's career, no?

And I never said IK is not arrogant, whole world knows this. Also I don't think any explanation will come from IK about this, he has a lot of other important things in hands right now. Miandad might need such things but IK has progress way ahead of these things.
They are all good points but the answer needs to come from Imran and/or other team members who witnessed any such incident.

What is the motive? We need to check back, in which context Mianadad made this statement. Maybe, it was just by-the-way statement without any hidden agenda. I believe that PTI supporters need to let go their insecurities, especially now when the PTI is the 2nd largest political party in Pakistan. Statements such as these are not going to malign IK, or affect his politics anyway. His support for TTP (alis JI/JUI) is already doing more damage to him and his party than harmless statements such as these.

There is no need to give knee jerk reaction on everything that is related to IK, and which can easily be ignored. This is unhealthy attitude and IK supporters need to learn this.

Last edited:
They are all good points but the answer needs to come from Imran and/or other team members who witnessed any such incident.

What is the motive? We need to check back, in which context Mianadad made this statement. Maybe, it was just by-the-way statement without any hidden agenda. I believe that PTI supporters need to let go their insecurities, especially now when the PTI is the 2nd largest political party in Pakistan. Statements such as these are not going to malign IK, or affect his politics anyway. His support for TTP (alis JI/JUI) is already doing more damage to him and his party than harmless statements such as these.

There is no need to give knee jerk reaction on everything that is related to IK, and which can easily be ignored. This is unhealthy attitude and IK supporters need to learn this.

I was sarcastic in my first post, but you responded and accused me for prophesizing IK which I didn't.

I then responded with logical argument for sake of discussion, but now even though they are all good points, they are still giving knee jerk reactions on everything related to IK and our reaction is unhealthy attitude.. :lol:

Yeah okay.. :partay:

I was sarcastic in my first post, but you responded and accused me for prophesizing IK which I didn't.

I then responded with logical argument for sake of discussion, but now even though they are all good points, they are still giving knee jerk reactions on everything related to IK and our reaction is unhealthy attitude.. :lol:

Yeah okay.. :partay:
It was a general statement not meant for you. I am sorry if it appeared like that.

Imran survived player revolt at 1992 World Cup - Miandad| Reuters
r

Pakistani cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan speaks during a news conference at his party secretariat in Islamabad in this November 22, 2007 file photo. Khan survived a player revolt before leading his team to victory in the 1992 World Cup, according to team mate Javed Miandad.

CREDIT: REUTERS/MIAN KHURSHEED

(Reuters) - Former Pakistan captain Imran Khan survived a player revolt before leading his team to victory in the 1992 World Cup, according to team mate Javed Miandad.

Miandad, a former captain and three-times coach of the national side, said leading players had grown disaffected with Imran's leadership style throughout the tournament.
"The revolt took place before the semi-final against New Zealand. But to me the country was more important and I convinced the players to carry on playing under Imran," Miandad said on a local television chat show late on Wednesday.
"Imran retired after winning the World Cup and before the England tour in 1992 because he had come to know about the revolt."
Miandad, when contacted by Reuters on Thursday, confirmed his statement but would not elaborate.
"I have never spoken about this incident but now many people know about it so I disclosed the truth," he said.
Pakistan, inspired by a brutal innings from Inzamam-ul-Haq, won the semi-final in Auckland before beating England in the final in Melbourne following a crucial third-wicket partnership of 139 between Imran and Miandad.

I know you have a more diabolical reason to post this news but from what I gather, Imran Khan lead a divided team to victory and that feat alone requires IK to be hailed.....

LOL. What is this insecurity about people have about MQM and people belonging to a certain etnicity. It is a truth that Miandad was the strategist and Imran then ordered around.

No third man
Imran Khan and Javed Miandad started out as polar opposites but then settled into a marriage of convenience where each understood the other, perhaps better than others around them
Saad Shafqat

August 17, 2010

They were matched, yet mismatched; cozy allies, yet bitter rivals; bound by a common vision and purpose, yet also pushed apart by their backgrounds and polarised temperaments. At some point during their contemporaneous careers for Pakistan, Imran Khan and Javed Miandad grasped the prisoner's dilemma that circumstances had thrust upon them. Somehow they saw through the fog of bitterness and understood that they were better off collaborating than fighting. In the process, enough magic was unleashed to launch a golden age.

Much has been made of the Lahore-Karachi rivalry as the basis for the tensions between Imran and Miandad, but it probably had more to do with the taboo subject of social class. Both were burdened by it in their own way - one by having less, the other by having more. Approaching each other warily, they communicated the natural reactions of their ilk, and the resentments built up. Class may be a sensitive and uncomfortable topic, but it is one to which cricket - a sport that once distinguished between gentlemen and players - is hardly alien.

The general view of Miandad conjuring up tactics and Imran barking the commands and motivating the troops is largely correct. There have been matches - the Bangalore Test from 1987 is perhaps the best example - when they were practically co-captains. By the late 1980s these two were essentially a team within the team.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Please stop seeing everything in the context of PTI versus non-PTI and stop worshiping Imran as god, for he is not one. If Imran is a big name in Cricket, Miandad is bigger, and it is simple as that. Go and check it out in the archives of the cricket.

And it is not about who deserves what. A statement has been made from a former cricketer, and not anyone, but one of the greatest that cricket has ever produced. If he is wrong, Imran should deny, or other former team members will in due course of time. We need to wait to see if it was true or not. I don't think I am talking Algebra here, which is giving you knee-jerk response.

No its not! Imran was a great player and great leader. Miandad has his own place. Please stop confusing this and please stop looking at it from MQM point of view.

None of the people whom you think are PTI here, bring such threads. We all accept Miandad was a great player. Greatest batsman that Pakistan has ever produced but he was not a leader of men. Imran was.

LOL. What is this insecurity about people have about MQM and people belonging to a certain etnicity. It is a truth that Miandad was the strategist and Imran then ordered around.

Rubbish. What a crap you are talking here. Cricket is a team game. Minadad is known as a great fighter. A street smart cricketer not a strategist.

No its not! Imran was a great player and great leader. Miandad has his own place. Please stop confusing this and please stop looking at it from MQM point of view.

None of the people whom you think are PTI here, bring such threads. We all accept Miandad was a great player. Greatest batsman that Pakistan has ever produced but he was not a leader of men. Imran was.

Rubbish. What a crap you are talking here. Cricket is a team game. Minadad is known as a great fighter. A street smart cricketer not a strategist.
We are all aware of players politics. I had every damn issue of 'Akhbar-e-Watan' in my library and have read a lot about the player's politics of that time. Imran lead the team because he had political clout, whereas Miandad came from a very modest background. Pakistan did win a number of matches under Miandad captaincy so it is not correct to say that Miandad was not a leader.

Imran was a strong captain for he had all the support from the board, but he never was a leader. There is a huge difference between an autocratic captain and a 'leader'.

And please stop labeling everybody a MQM-supporter only because he does not buy your notion of Imran being a flawless being, a demigod, because he is not.

Last edited:

Wow! Ignorance is bliss.

:fie:

he dnt deserve importance of IK .. IK has a party to run ... moreover most of the famous crickiters love him .. he dnt mind if some someone who retired 2.5 decades ago will start saying somethng now to get attention ...
2.5 decades ago :woot:

People overrate Imran Khan leadership due to WC 92's win which was fluke, as Pakistan was guaranteed to lose, but two fluke wins earned Pakistan WC which has nothing to do with leadership. Pakistan was lucky even though Pakistan didn't deserve to win. Pakistan was poor team and performed miserably throughout the whole world cup, but clicked when it mattered the most. If Pakistan has to play again, Pakistan will lose 99 out of 100 matches in WC 92. People don't have accurate understanding of how Pakistan was lucky to win. I guess people only remember semi final and final. lol

Back
Top Bottom