What's new

Pakistan President sacks chief justice

Anything is possible.

Apart from this i feel its an attack on judiciary.
I believe he is being forced to resign.

Thats what exactly happend.
now the only strong institution in pakistan (judiciary) also becomes the victim of Army. that CJ is one who gave verdict against steel mill privitization and issuance of huge amount of land to army for military purpose(which,then will be use for commercial purpose) in gawadar
also, it is reumeoured that CJ was on to set hearing of case against pak army for doing business in real estate sector and for charge of using the land for commercial purpose which was given to them for military purpose for free of cost.
army's work is just to protect borders, not to interfare in political issues. I m forseeing a saddam's era in pakistan :wall:

its not about the army attacking the judicary he is sacked because of his conduct and his past actions were critical by the civilians and pm himself..das was not in pakistan at that time..

You are right but Justice Bhagwan Das has been appointed acting CJ in the past when Justice Iftikhar was not available or on foreign tours. Why not this time.

Fellow members, I stand corrected. I was wrong in pointing out that Justice Bhagwan Das was not appointed because he was not a muslim. Last night I saw a program 'Capital talk' on Geo TV. Where participants included retired Justice Qayyum. He didnot say that CJ of Supreme Court must be a muslim.

In reply to a question by Imran Khan . MA Durrani; Minister for Information, replied that Justice Bhagwan Das was on holiday and it would look very odd to call him back for this purpose. However it was pointed out the CJ's of Pak Supreme court have been treated badly by the executive including the elected Nawaz Sharif who engineered an attack on the Supreme Court and then used another Justice Rafiq Tarar to engineer a revolt against the CJ, Justice Sajjad Ali Shah so that his own colleagues headed by Justice Saeeduzaman ousted him. Tarar was rewarded with the Presidency and Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui was made CJ. Justice Siddqui himself was ignomously ousted when he was not asked to swear allegence to the Musharraf regime.

The record of judiciary in Pakistan ever since the famous Munir decision of in favour of Governer Ghulam Ahmad is nothing to be proud of.

Apparently the President's action was within the constitution but according to Imran Khan. the way it was done sent a message to the Judicairy to fall in line.

Regarding the merit; all members of the Supreme Court bench have necessary qualifications to become CJ. However, the accepted rule is that promotion to CJ position must be based on seniority and on this basis; it was Justice Bhagwan Das who should have become CJ.

I appologize again for stating something which was not correct.

Fellow members, I stand corrected. I was wrong in pointing out that Justice Bhagwan Das was not appointed because he was not a muslim. Last night I saw a program 'Capital talk' on Geo TV. Where participants included retired Justice Qayyum. He didnot say that CJ of Supreme Court must be a muslim.

In reply to a question by Imran Khan . MA Durrani; Minister for Information, replied that Justice Bhagwan Das was on holiday and it would look very odd to call him back for this purpose. However it was pointed out the CJ's of Pak Supreme court have been treated badly by the executive including the elected Nawaz Sharif who engineered an attack on the Supreme Court and then used another Justice Rafiq Tarar to engineer a revolt against the CJ, Justice Sajjad Ali Shah so that his own colleagues headed by Justice Saeeduzaman ousted him. Tarar was rewarded with the Presidency and Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui was made CJ. Justice Siddqui himself was ignomously ousted when he was not asked to swear allegence to the Musharraf regime.

The record of judiciary in Pakistan ever since the famous Munir decision of in favour of Governer Ghulam Ahmad is nothing to be proud of.

Apparently the President's action was within the constitution but according to Imran Khan. the way it was done sent a message to the Judicairy to fall in line.

Regarding the merit; all members of the Supreme Court bench have necessary qualifications to become CJ. However, the accepted rule is that promotion to CJ position must be based on seniority and on this basis; it was Justice Bhagwan Das who should have become CJ.

I appologize again for stating something which was not correct.

Niaz,

There is nothing wrong with what u said and you dont have to apologize. But you have mentioned some important points in ur message.

If NS removes President, CJ and Army chief (who was all set to take over power in a military coup) he is termed as a traitor and an enemy of state. His actions illegal.

But when a saviour of Pakistan sacks President (Rafiq Tarar), Chief Judges (Saeed Uz Zaman Siddiqui and now Iftikhar Chaudhry), Army chiefs (even his companions in the counter coup) everything is legal and in accordance with the constitution. What a joke.

And may i also add that the panel of judges formed for the case has LHC chief judge as a member and its no secret that he is the most corrupt judge in the history of Pakistan.

Another fact is that Justice Iftikhar chaudhry's tenure ends in 2013 while Justice Javed iqbal retires in 2011.

Anyone can guess what will come out of this hearing

Just for record

An anti-terrorism court on Thursday sentenced a district leader of the Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal to five-year imprisonment for making abusive remarks against President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz. The prosecution said Maulana Shabbir Ahmad Hashmi, Kasur district chief of the MMA, had made the remarks at a public meeting against the Women Protection Bill.—Staff Reporter

http://www.dawn.com/2007/03/30/top13.htm

This will prove mushy did the right thing.slow but steady we are cleaning the house.:army:

The judge is a controversial figure noted for his firm line on government misdeeds and human rights abuses.

But she says many in the legal community believe Iftikhar Chaudhary was dismissed because he took up cases unpopular with the government.

Chief among these was a petition to recover missing persons, allegedly abducted by intelligence agencies. He also overturned the recent sale of Pakistan's state-run steel mills.

The president is also accused of trying to intimidate the judiciary in an election year.

Exceprts from the BBC report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6441133.stm

Well you see here a clear desperation of Mushraff to hang on to power. Now i guess he might also have been recieving kickbacks from the various deals PA was indulging in. So much for the saviour of pakistan.

The judge is a controversial figure noted for his firm line on government misdeeds and human rights abuses.

But she says many in the legal community believe Iftikhar Chaudhary was dismissed because he took up cases unpopular with the government.

Chief among these was a petition to recover missing persons, allegedly abducted by intelligence agencies. He also overturned the recent sale of Pakistan's state-run steel mills.

The president is also accused of trying to intimidate the judiciary in an election year.

Exceprts from the BBC report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6441133.stm

Absolutely correct!
The only strong institution in pakistan is also become the victum of pak army :tdown:

Presidential Reference: Justice Iftikhar arrives at Supreme Court

ISLAMABAD: Non-functional Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry arrived at Supreme Court for hearing of presidential reference against him.

Large number of lawyers was present at Supreme Court building, waiting for his arrival.

They chanted slogans in favour of Iftikhar Chaudhry as he reached Supreme Court building. Heavy contingents of police and Elite Force were deployed at the court premises on the occasion.

According to earlier reports, Justice Iftikhar had refused to appear before the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) for the hearing.

Talking to newsmen after his arrival to Supreme Court, Iftikhar Chaudhry said that the Judicial Council comprises of those judges against whom he was preparing to file references. Some of them having personal grudge against him, he said. He urged the lawyers to be patient and stay calm.

The Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) meeting here today to hear presidential reference against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry.

Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry has named Munir A Malik, Tariq Mehmood, Aitizaz Ahsan and Hamid Khan to assist him during hearing of the presidential reference against him.

Meanwhile, Fakhruddin G. Ibrahim has declined to be government counsel in the case.

The SJC meeting would be presided by acting Chief Justice Javed Iqbal. The hearing would be held under article 209 of the constitution and Iftikhar Chaudhry would be provided opportunity to defend himself.

The SJC bench comprises of Justice Abdul Hameed Dogar, Justice Sardar M Raza Khan, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Hussain Chaudhry and Sindh High Court Chief Justice Sabeehuddin.

http://geo.tv/geonews/details.asp?id=3357&param=1

Mush seems determined to destory the last institution that can challenge his illegal rule.

Today was the darkest day in the history of Pakistan. Have u guys seems the Pakistani private news channels today. It was horrible to see how CJ was treated by IG and SSP.

Mush seems determined to destory the last institution that can challenge his illegal rule.

Today was the darkest day in the history of Pakistan. Have u guys seems the Pakistani private news channels today. It was horrible to see how CJ was treated by IG and SSP.

yea I saw that on ARY 1WORLD. his lawer was saying that he was treated badly when he went to former CJ's house. the telephone, cable of former CJ were disconnected from 9th .:wall:

I feel he wont be restored as CJ again for this is again the same situation as in 1999 and 1979 when there were two necks and one rope. Either its Mush or him.

Arbab Ghulam Rahim has made some serious allegations against CJ. Which come under contempt and wont be forgotten.

Todays events clearly indicate the end of Iftikhar Chaudhrys term in office

mera kahayal hay kay musharaf ko ab hat jana chahiye sadarat say :D

Well you see here a clear desperation of Mushraff to hang on to power. Now i guess he might also have been recieving kickbacks from the various deals PA was indulging in. So much for the saviour of pakistan.

Really and how did you come up with another fantastic connection between Army deals, kickbacks and Musharaf?? Please expand.

Musharraf is in the wrong in this case, however that does not take away from the good also done under his leadership. In any case, Pakistan will weather this storm as well by the grace of the Almighty.

mera kahayal hay kay musharaf ko ab hat jana chahiye sadarat say :D

But Musharraf, like every other dictator before him, believes he is the best thing that has happened to Pakista since our creation. He has ruled for almost 8 years now and is asking to be given more time. where as his current rule exceeds the time of NS and BB in office.

And to those who believe Pakistan has progressed under Mush, lemme tell them again, you are all mistaken. Pakistan as a federation has weakened (a fact Mush himself accepted). We have killed our own leaders, sent a few into exile, put our scientific hero under house arrest till death, dismissed the elected president, two chief justices, countless army officers, killed our own people in tribal areas, compromised our kashmir policy, allowed India to fence the borders (which a few years back mush seemed so interested in violating). Is that what you call good

Back
Top Bottom