What's new

Pakistan ordered arms worth $4.5bn from US

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON: Pakistan placed its largest ever arms purchase orders worth $4.5 billion with America between 2005 and 2008 and its weapons shopping list included more F-16 fighters and over hundred 155 MM artillery guns, a latest Congressional report has said.

The orders included thirty-six latest block 50/52 F-16C jets and their air-to-air missiles and bombs worth a whopping $640 million. The arms deal also provided for mid-life modification of its earlier F-16 A/B fighters.

Under the arms deal, Islamabad also sought 115 M109A5 155 MM self propelled howitzers worth $52 million, the guns it did not have during the Kargil conflict in 1999.

According to ‘US Arms Sales to Pakistan’ report, the major arms purchase agreement by Pakistan signed in 2006, was in excess of $3.5 billion, ranking Pakistan first among all arms clients of the US during that calendar year.

The report informs the US lawmakers that America can suspend or terminate any arms sales agreement with Pakistan or the delivery of weapons previously ordered, if the president determines that the actions taken by Islamabad are against the national security interests of the United States.

‘The Congress can also pass legislation that would suspend, modify, or terminate any arms sale contract should it choose to do so,’ said the report prepared by the Congressional Research Service (CRS), a bipartisan and independent research wing of the US Congress, which prepares reports on various issues for Congressmen.

According to the report dated August 24, the deal has been cleared with stiff conditions which include if the US government chooses; it can stop the transfer of defence articles and services to Pakistan for which valid contracts exist.

This clause can be applied without finding if the arms deal is in violation of an applicable agreement with the US relating to permissible uses of weapons previously sold.

The authority for suspension of deliveries or defence items or cancellation of military sales contracts is found in various sections of the Arms Export Control (AECA).

‘All government-to-government agreements or licensed commercial contracts for the transfer of defence articles or services may be halted, modified or terminated by the executive branch should it determine that it is advisable to do so,’ the report said.

The total value of Pakistan’s 2006 arms purchases from the US nearly matches the total value of all Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme purchases by Pakistan from the US for the entire period from 1950 to 2001.

When the Bush administration signed the contract in 2006 for sale of 36 aircrafts and associated equipment, it cited: ‘Given its geo-strategic location and partnership in the Global War on Terrorism, Pakistan is a vital ally of the US... This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of America by helping an ally meet its legitimate defence requirements.’

However, the report said apart from the major 2006 F-16 sales and related equipment, no additional major weapon systems have been sold to Pakistan.—Online
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...kistan+ordered+arms+worth+4.5bn+from+us-za-01

Just for the sake of clearing out discrepencies, differences, or confusion ---- these are the 5 main defence deals we have (via direct purchase, military deals, or tender) with United States at this time. Some have already been realized, or are being realized on rolling basis.

1.) 18 Lockheed Martin F-16C/D block 50/52 aircrafts

Along with the aircrafts would come

■200 AIM-9M-8/9s Sidewinders
■500 AIM-120C5s AMRAAM BVR missiles
■800 general purpose 2,000 and 500-pound bombs
■500 JDAM bomb guidance systems
■Link 16
■JHMCS
■Lockheed Martine Advanced Sniper Targetting Pods (for night-time precision attacks)
■CFTs

additionally, Pakistan has ordered (i believe 30) F100-PW-229 EEP engines for the F-16s. These engines have been designated under Engine Enhancement Package (EEP) --as they are the latest and most powerful while also being cheaper to run. These were purchased in 2006/7 and will be delivered in 2010 to Pakistan Aeronautical Complex.

2.) Tusas (Turkish Airspace Industries) was given contract by Lockheed Martin USA to upgrade PAF's fleet of older F16s (the F16 A/B block 15 aircrafts which we acquired in 1980s)

they will be upgraded; airframes will be renewed, avionics and radar improved. Also I believe we will get the Lockheed Martin Sniper targetting pods

All F-16s at the PAF inventory will have the same standard of operation, meaning compatibility and usage.

This means old upgraded F-16s will also have the same configuration as new F16s --and with new AEW&C aircrafts establishment of data-link will be possible

2 PAF F-16s are being upgraded at Tusas facilities and the rest in Pakistan @ Kamra & Sarghoda

It is 46 aircrafts in total (if i am not mistaken) that are undergoing upgradation and will be delivered to Air Force of Pakistan on rolling basis.

3.) Of 8 new P-3C Orion Maritime Patrol/Recce Aircrafts, I believe 2 have already been delivered. The package, announced late 2005, includes six Phalanx close in weapons systems and an ammunition complement of 2,000 TOW-2A missiles and 14 TOW-2A Fly-to-Buy missiles.

Under our agreement with U.S. --Lockheed Martin also Upgraded our 2 older P-3 Orions to P-3C MPA and P-3B AEW models (respectively --both equipped with Hawkeye 2000 AEW system) ordered in 2006. The first upgraded P-3Cs were already delivered in early 2007.

4.) Also along with the package are Pakistan Navy acquisition of three types of anti-submarine warfare (ASW) sonobuoys (Undersea Sensor Systems, Inc AN/SSQ-36B/SSQ-53F/AN/SSQ-62E) - totaling 445 units - under the Foreign Military Sales programme. This piece of anti-submarine warfare equipment is of the same class as contracted for the US Navy. The contract signed with suppliers is a joint contract for the US and the Pakistan Navy.

These will aid PN to detect, and identify, submarines as they move about stealthily in shallow or deep waters. Sonobuoys perform this task either in the 'passive' or 'active' mode. Other specialized ones measure temperature changes in the sea as a submarine passes by. This type is particularly useful in tracking nuclear powered submarines.

In the 'passive' mode the sonobuoy listens for sounds produced by propellers and machinery of a submarine, while in the 'active' mode it bounces a sonar ''ping'' off its body. Being buoys, they float in the water - at least some part of them does.

Apart from these basic versions, sonobuoys have also been designed to detect electric fields, magnetic anomalies, and bio-luminescence (light emitted by microscopic organisms disturbed by a passing submarine). Some also measure environmental parameters like water temperature versus depth, air temperature, barometric pressure, and wave height.

These are the specalised sonobuoys that are particularly useful in tracking nuclear-powered submarines, some of which India hopes to deploy in the near future (;))

5.) Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigates which will replace the aging Type-21 frigates. Those were ordered under previous PN leadership (Admiral Tahir Saab) in 2007 and will be ready to be inducted in 2011). They are to be equipped with eight-cell Mk.41 vertical launch system (VLS) for thirty-two quad-pack Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles (ESSM) – giving it good anti-air capability. The PN also ordered the air defence upgrades as well as the Perry’s existing anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability in the form of two-triple Mk.32 launchers for the Mk.42 torpedo system

hope that helps.

additionally, Pakistan has ordered (i believe 30) F100-PW-229 EEP engines for the F-16s. These engines have been designated under Engine Enhancement Package (EEP) --as they are the latest and most powerful while also being cheaper to run. These were purchased in 2006/7 and will be delivered in 2010 to Pakistan Aeronautical Complex.

Not sure about the number of engines, but here's what I posted a while back regarding these engines.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-defence/24353-f100-pw-229-eep-engines-pakistan-2010-a.html

Pratt & Whitney, maker of the F100 engine family that powers the F-16 and F-15 military fighter jets operated by the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy and the Air Forces of 22 allied nations, have begun production of the first F100-PW-229 Engine Enhancement Package (EEP) engines. The F100-PW-229 EEP represents the latest evolution in the F100 series of engines, recognized worldwide for its safety, reliability and cost effective operation.

"The F100-PW-229 EEP is another example of Pratt & Whitney's pioneering work in fighter engine technology," said Warren Boley, Vice President of Pratt & Whitney Military Programs and Customer Support. "Not only does it offer superior performance capabilities for our armed forces, it reduces maintenance and life cycle costs at a time when value and efficiency are top priorities on the nation's agenda."

The F100-PW-229 EEP incorporates groundbreaking technology developed for the F135 and F119 propulsion systems, the world's only fifth-generation fighter jet engines. The F100-229 EEP will provide advanced, dependable power for F-16 and F-15 aircraft around the world. In response to strong customer demand, the first engines will begin delivery of the new configuration in October of this year.

The F100-PW-229 EEP was created to dramatically decrease the cost of ownership without impacting performance. This was accomplished by increasing the engine depot inspection interval from 4,300 to 6,000 cycles and increasing durability of key components while maintaining the 29,100 pound thrust rating. The inspection interval increase extends the amount of time between scheduled depot maintenance from the average of 7-9 years to over 10-14 years depending on utilization rates. This increase consequently should reduce life cycle costs by 30 percent over the life of the engine. The F100-PW-229 EEP continues to be the only fighter engine funded and qualified by the U.S. Air Force to the 6,000 cycle capability.

Pratt & Whitney will offer customers the option to purchase the F100-PW-229 EEP as a complete engine or as an upgrade kit that will be made available to all -229 operators near the end of 2010.

"The U.S. Air Force and several other operators of the P&W F100-PW-229 engine have expressed interest in having upgrade kits to modify their existing engines, so we're working diligently to provide this capability for our customers," Boley said.

Initially, 74 F100-PW-229 EEP engines have been ordered, with the first delivery set for Republic of Korea. Additional deliveries will be headed to Morocco and Pakistan in early 2010.

Pratt & Whitney is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines, space propulsion systems and industrial gas turbines. United Technologies, based in Hartford, Conn., is a diversified company providing high technology products and services to the global aerospace and commercial building industries.

This press release contains forward-looking statements concerning future business opportunities. Actual results may differ materially from those projected as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to changes in government procurement priorities and practices or in the number of aircraft to be built; challenges in the design, development, production and support of technologies; as well as other risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to those detailed from time to time in United Technologies Corporation's Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

Good comprehensive post Abu Zolfiqar, i really appreciate ur effort, hope to read more informative posts from u soon...

Not sure about the number of engines, but here's what I posted a while back regarding these engines.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/general-defence/24353-f100-pw-229-eep-engines-pakistan-2010-a.html

achaaa.... I don't know why I was under impression that it was 30 engines.

Abbasniazi saab!!! Thanks for the kind words. Just thought I would try to do my part and help where I could.

We Pakistanis love to make rumours and gossip a lot, so when it comes to defence talks it's sometimes tedious but important to do the research and get the true facts (at least to the best of our ability).

Inshallah these acquisitions will be realized and the equipments will be handed over to Pakistan.

go to hell these contracts looking like even we buy and pay money we begging these weapons Congress president pentagon any one can block these deals.i thing we must see in east and west for weapons but not USA.

I do not think that we've received any of the Hawkeye 2000 AEW systems, as of yet. Kindly, can any of the other members confirm this news bit?

We paid for some of the equipment, and some of it was "subsidized" as per military agreements with USA

and it seems that we are moving east. The tender on F16 was for 36 aircrafts, we cut it down to 18 (and filled in the gap with FC-20s)

the Lost Decade was a blessing in disguise for Pakistan.

I can understand your frustrations, brother. Trust me. But we need to remember that with limited funds, we need a credible defensive as well as offensive-defence deterrants. U.S. does have some of the best equipments out there, especially those which we are very familiar with.

I do not think that we've received any of the Hawkeye 2000 AEW systems, as of yet. Kindly, can any of the other members confirm this news bit?

the new P-3C Orions will have these radars as will the existing upgraded ones.

In other words, as reports suggest, Pakistan has one (1) P-3 Orion aircraft with the new Hawkeye Radar, 2 more will be handed over within the next year or so. And the remaining 8 new P-3Cs will also be handed over to Pakistan.

Please correct me if i am wrong, we all do make mistakes!

with respect i totaly disagree sir if we have E-2hawkeye why we even dont have a single proove?if you have i will greatfull to you

Back
Top Bottom