What's new

Pakistan need high education, come on!

Overall literacy rates are not important. Though Sri Lanka has a high rate of close to 99%, they still lag behind other equivalent countries (in terms of size). While many would start harping about terrorism, the reason is "Higher Education" as the title states. Higher education is the key!

Here is a link with some interesting discussion. Though I am not in agreement with some of the assertions made, it clearly reflects on the issues we face and the way forward:

Edit: When I say "not important", I imply importance as far as rapid growth goes. It is crucial in the medium to long term for better income distributions and eradication of poverty. We need to get from 93% to +99% in primary enrollment ASAP. Then we can hope to get close to 95% literacy by 2030.

Last edited by a moderator:
not at all..you need to read and write in your mother tongue and do some basic maths...if english is your mother tongue then only you must read and write in english...do not spread lies here...

yeah but 90% of indian students aim for english. thts the good part

Why so? If we are working in Pakistan, we should learn Urdu. Most Indian students learn English because they leave their country India to search for work in Western countries.

Why so? If we are working in Pakistan, we should learn Urdu. Most Indian students learn English because they leave their country India to search for work in Western countries.

hmm not really being multilingual is a good thing i guess. if u wanna stick to urdu good for u. many indian are now not leaving india as ppl in us and europe are going jobless.

Wrong notion , Indian economy is service-centric and you need good communication skills in English to work , either in India or abroad.

Major global service hubs of Fortune 500 companies work out of India , so knowledge of the English language ( both written and verbal ) becomes an important part of the job and hence of the education system too .....

Is LUMS really that great? I have never seen it in any sorta MBA rankings.

LUMS professor among ‘World’s Top Young Innovators’

LAHORE: Dr Umar Saif, a Professor at Lahore University of Management Sciences (Lums) has just become the first Pakistani to be recognised as one of the top 35 innovators of the world. The MIT Technology Review has named him as one of their 35 ‘World’s Top Young Innovators for the year 2011’.
No surprise, given his background; Saif started out at Aitchison, went on to Lums, did his Doctorate at Cambridge and ended up doing his Post doctorate at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
The MIT Technology Review (TR35) recognizes the world’s top 35 young innovators that are radically transforming technology as we know and this is the first time in the past decade that a Pakistani has been recognised.
Saif says that he couldn’t have done it without Lums. While talking to The Express Tribune, he said, “It would have been difficult at other universities. There are certain things that Lums has gotten right. The faculty is empowered and hiring and promotion is all done based on how research active you are.”
“I am tenured at Lums and I cannot be fired. The rest of the universities in Pakistan have more of a teaching focus. Lums lets me do only two to three courses a year. This gives me ample time to do my research.” Saif now joins an elite group of researchers and technologists including the likes of Google’s Seregy Brin and Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg.
While talking about one of his projects, SMSall.pk; he excitedly explained that it was like Twitter and that it was fanning out at an exponential rate in Pakistan. “Political parties, media channels; everyone is signing up for it,” he exclaimed. SMSall.pk is Pakistan’s largest SMS social network and has sent close to 4 billion SMS for users in Pakistan.
Technologies developed by Saif’s research group and startups are used by millions of people in the developing world. Other notable technology is BitMate, which enhances the speed of Internet in the developing world using peer-to-peer technology.
The MIT Technology Review selects the top innovators after a rigorous evaluation process. Judges, who are leading experts in their fields from universities such as MIT, Stanford and Harvard, consider hundreds of high-impact researchers and entrepreneurs from all over the world, out of which top 35 are chosen for the award.
When asked about the innovation process. Saif explained that he had a startup incubator called the Saif Centre of Innovation. “It deals with new projects the same way as Silicon Valley,” said Saif. People, mostly students come to me when they want to do a startup. “We keep discussing the idea till it is viable. Then we put together a team, distribute equity – I am always a minority stakeholder. Then I give the startup money to get it off the ground.” Saif says that the reason these projects are successful is because he gets the kids to run these companies. And they work 18 hours a day to get their ideas to work.
Saif is working on some incredibly innovative start ups right now. One uses mobile phone cameras to allow illiterate people to understand English. People can take pictures of English text – newspaper clippings, labels, anything – from any cell phone, MMS it to a number and they will get a call back that that reads out the text to them in Urdu.
Best of all, Pakistan need not fear losing Saif to any other country. Because he has no plans to move his home base out of Pakistan. Even though he spends some time visiting other universities to get some work done, Saif says that he is in Pakistan to stay permanently
LUMS professor among

Top Ranking MBA programs in Asia:

Rank Business School
1 Chinese University of Hong Kong
2 Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
3 National University of Singapore Business School, Singapore
4 Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong
5 Asian Institute of Management, Philippines
6= Australian Graduate School of Management
6= University of Queensland Business School, Australia
8 University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Business & Economics, Hong Kong
9 Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
10 Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
11= Melbourne Business School, Austrialia
11= Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
13 China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), China
14 Chulalongkorn University, Sasin Graduate School of Mangement, Thailand
15= City University of Hong Kong
15= Chicago Graduate School of Business, Singapore
17= Yonsei University, South Korea
17= Monash University, Australia
17= Indian Institute of Mangement, Lucknow
20 International University of Japan
21= Macquarie Graduate School of Management, Australia
21= Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
23= Peking University, Guanghua School of Management, China
23= National Institute of Development & Administration, Thailand
25 Lahore University of Management Sciences, Pakistan

World's Top Ranking MBA Programs in Asia

I swear we need to open like a donation page here on PDF. Someone trusted has to take the initiative to build schools!!!
MODS please discuss this idea....

support citizen foundation schools if you may..

it is because if we do not learn english then we won't be able to work with our overseas client..for example one of my organization's client is from Singapore and English is the only common language that we both can communicate with..But with our Indian clients we usually speak in language our clients want...some prefer English while some start conversation in Hindi...

to curb illiteracy is something thats easy and can be executed without the need of big funds.All thats needed is a bunch of educated guys who can pass on the light of knowledge into others.with this first step can be completed i.e, giving basic education to others,it is the ability to read and write.

for the next step,yes funds and trained guys are needed.

I do not think the Spread of Education in Pakistan would be easy.

Religion will play a major role in deterring the growth of Education to the masses.

Pakistan needs a serious national doctrine overhaul when it comes to the prospect of education.

Every family needs to be planning for Higher-education a, saving up for it ,indoctrinating children with the prospects of eduction to there future form early on.ect ect..

Religion and Nationalism needs to take a back seat.

THe country needs to stop dictating what the general Nationalistic aspirations should be and let the people decide for themselves after they get empowered enough.

In layman terms ...when u guys start respecting Seti more than Azizi that is what is needed.
A few point to ponder upon.

LUMS University has professors from best Universities. i.e Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, MIT, Penn State, LSE, UCLA, UCL, etc... They should build more campuses in my opinion...

wow..still never heard of this university

I do not think the Spread of Education in Pakistan would be easy.

Religion will play a major role in deterring the growth of Education to the masses.

Pakistan needs a serious national doctrine overhaul when it comes to the prospect of education.

Religion and Nationalism needs to take a back seat.

I couldn't convince myself to agree with you.That act of burning schools and hampering the female child from getting educated,is just during the current wave of terrorism.And is never appreciated by any religious scholar.Religion in Pakistan is not an obstacle in the spread of knowledge and in reality is an encouraging force.

Leaving aside of what GoP should do,

1-A big problem is that we take the phenomenon of "research" too casual.
2-Scholarship and loan system for financially challenged students needs a lot of improvement and transparency.
3-Bodies like HEC should do the annual review of syllabi i-e expected from them.
4-Libraries!!! man............seriously where are these(And i'm not astonished at the current rusted system of education).....How many of these have you visited during your academic career?

Distribution of Laptops should not be restricted only to the election year,but needs to be done on yearly basis and in every province.
I was planning to write to the chief minister Punjab and inform him about the PAC products ,that our people have managed to manufacture.It will be better if he can benefit both the students and the industry by buying those at nominal rates and spreading among the deserving.Waiting for his reply to date.

I couldn't convince myself to agree with you.That act of burning schools and hampering the female child from getting educated,is just during the current wave of terrorism.And is never appreciated by any religious scholar.Religion in Pakistan is not an obstacle in the spread of knowledge and in reality is an encouraging force.

Burning schools and Problems for the female child are rather simplistic examples for what is much bigger problem.

IM sure u would have a multitude of policies tht in ur perspective would help promote education while keeping Youngsters high on Religion.
THe Fact is Education brings liberalism...hardcore religiosity and educated Liberalism don't go hand in hand.
ITs all over the figures of Islamic nations throwout the world..
DO not quote turkey or SA; ones extensively liberalized and the others an oil mafia.

Having said this..on a more centrist approach.
Every problem has a solution tht can work around existence complexities...people have ton of reason to keep ridiculing and claiming how there way is right and stuff ,until someone ends up doing the supposedly impossible.

But such thing only occur withing empowered societies.
Y this is hard to achieve?

Pakistan is in a habit of Blaming every godam thing tht moves for its unsuccessfulness;this has been nurtured over decades of shameless social planning and indoctrination by the pitiful rulers chosen by the people for the people..(avoiding details)

Ill give u an example ..

a mom tells his boy every time he fails tht .."there nothing wrong with u its oters who are after u"
and similar conclusions are fed into the mind of the child over his growth phase..
what do u thing the child would be like ?
A mama boy?, arrogant?, unreliable? and a liar? .......seriously think about it.Not to mention his total lack of international competitiveness or in this case his competitiveness outside his house.

im not saying everyone in the country will be like tht ...but those who don't kno better would be.

this theory as stated earlier ,is reinforced by the Fact that..
Pakistan still values Zaid haimd over Hoodbhoy
and azizi over Sethi
as popular preseption.

U may be different and im sure many intellectually sound people too but im not talking about the good 10 maybe 15%.

THe doctrine needs to change and an in a big way.
Educators need to be heroes and Philosophers need to be just tht philosophers..because realism and philosophy dont go together .

Back
Top Bottom