What's new

Pakistan Navy Fast Attack Craft launched

I suppose these vessels are equipped with anti submarine weapon systems.

IMHO -- a 500 ton vessel is not ideal for hit and run kind of missions but more of EEC patrolling and fisheries protection with added firepower for patrolling near the Hurmuz Straits -- yes I am looking westward specially when India is making inroads into Iran.

This dove tails with your thought on lack of frigates in PN. THX

Those are the Type-037I (Haijiu class) subchasers.

I am expecting few structural and system changes like in the case of F-22P.

Things that are expected here are the Type 037-II getting FL-2000 SAM system and AK-176 as new armaments.

20070903_ab0ab36e4b280b8b32844qPQbgvrBlrr.jpg

AK-176

I would say forget the 500 ton fac, we need to concentrate on this beauty:

type054a-jiangkai-ii_01.jpg

PN lacks modern surface fleet and at a time when gawadar is getting active, the responsibilities would only increase protecting two ports against a possible blockade.

PN lacks modern surface fleet and at a time when gawadar is getting active, the responsibilities would only increase protecting two ports against a possible blockade.
Image is not visible to me but from the link says it's type-054 jiangkai.Some thoughts about why there is a need of FACs here.
1. Large ships are at risk from small attack craft using swarm tactics.You keep the idea of Saturation attacks in mind.
2. Small ones like these 500t can increase the size of the Navy quickly and at less cost than bigger and naturally more expensive large combatants.
3. The small size of the crafts makes it naturally stealthy(if you see Type 022 ,the design and even some work on the glass pans the RCS reducing saw-tooth edges,the best stealth design out there) while the greater the size of a ship presents a greater target.
Note:Only disadvange here is their vulnerablity to helis and Aerial assests and i think they are going for type 037II is that Type-022 has a limited arc of fire and it lacks any air-defences at the rear.
4 Our Naval fleet will run out of frigades long before the enemy runs out of missiles and torpedoes.A supporting part these vessels play can't be matched.
5. Large ships are harder to maneuver in shallow seas, and their deep draft make them vulnerable to “grounding”.

Image is not visible to me but from the link says it's type-054 jiangkai.Some thoughts about why there is a need of FACs here.
1. Large ships are at risk from small attack craft using swarm tactics.You keep the idea of Saturation attacks in mind.
2. Small ones like these 500t can increase the size of the Navy quickly and at less cost than bigger and naturally more expensive large combatants.
3. The small size of the crafts makes it naturally stealthy(if you see Type 022 ,the design and even some work on the glass pans the RCS reducing saw-tooth edges,the best stealth design out there) while the greater the size of a ship presents a greater target.
Note:Only disadvange here is their vulnerablity to helis and Aerial assests and i think they are going for type 037II is that Type-022 has a limited arc of fire and it lacks any air-defences at the rear.
4 Our Naval fleet will run out of frigades long before the enemy runs out of missiles and torpedoes.A supporting part these vessels play can't be matched.
5. Large ships are harder to maneuver in shallow seas, and their deep draft make them vulnerable to “grounding”.

Yes its a type 054-a, the latest in the Chinese arsenal of frigates. I know fAC have its own importance, reason for my post was to make a point, PN is seriously in shot of modern surface fleet. Given the responsibility that lies on her shoulder, a few modern frigates of the class of type -054 A wont hurt.

Yes its a type 054-a, the latest in the Chinese arsenal of frigates. I know fAC have its own importance, reason for my post was to make a point, PN is seriously in shot of modern surface fleet. Given the responsibility that lies on her shoulder, a few modern frigates of the class of type -054 A wont hurt.

PN chief has already made it clear that PN would go for upgraded F22P instead of Type054 frigates.

Gwader is too west of India, our primary concern.

US fleet is already there, and any Indian activity there must pass from near Karachi, so as long as we can deny them west, Gwader should be fine.

But yes, a bigger surface fleet is really needed.

PN chief has already made it clear that PN would go for upgraded F22P instead of Type054 frigates.

I think that would be useless, as F-22 was supposed to be already upgraded version. Doesn't make sense to get upgraded upgraded assets.

I mean, he said that now we are looking at more than 3000 ton class ships. Maybe destroyers or frigates, or maybe a hybrid.

But Type 54 seems an awesome piece of equipment for area defence.

Type 054 with F-22 and OHPs, will augment our navy.

We need more Sub surface vessels as well.

I think that would be useless, as F-22 was supposed to be already upgraded version. Doesn't make sense to get upgraded upgraded assets.

I mean, he said that now we are looking at more than 3000 ton class ships. Maybe destroyers or frigates, or maybe a hybrid.

But Type 54 seems an awesome piece of equipment for area defence.

Type 054 with F-22 and OHPs, will augment our navy.

We need more Sub surface vessels as well.

No, while F22P is a development from the Type 053H3 (Jiangwei 2), on which it is based, it is a fresh, new design. There is plenty of room for improvement by design (for additional ships) as well as for upgrading (for existing ships) i.e. by installation of a VL SAM (e.g. Umkhonto IIR) and other weapons (e.g. Harpoon, Oto 76mm Strales = Super Rapid naval gun with Davide round, Swedish ASW torpedoes) and sensors and a different combat management system.

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2010

Jane's Defence Weekly

China to sell Pakistan missile boats

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent -Islamabad

China has signed a contract with the Pakistan Navy (PN) to provide it with two missile boats, according to a senior PN officer, in the latest evidence of Beijing's growing role in providing hardware to the navy.

"We have recently signed a contract with China for the supply of two missile boats of 500 tonnes each," Rear Admiral Shafqat Javed, the PN's deputy chief of staff, said in a television interview on 13 December. "One of these boats will be manufactured in China while the other will be made in Pakistan."

Adm Javed added that the boats would be equipped "with radar-controlled guns", without elaborating. A senior PN officer told Jane's the contract is evidence of "growing links" between the PN and China.

China has an ongoing contract for the supply of four new F-22P frigates.

Pakistani government officials have said the country may also opt to buy Chinese-built naval vessels in excess of 4,000 tonnes. Though the financial terms of defence contracts between the two countries are not published, Jane's understands that the four frigates - along with a squadron of helicopters - will cost USD700 million.

Earlier this year a senior Pakistani government official said the PN had begun mulling the purchase of submarines from China after concluding that purchases from a Western source, notably Germany, would cost too much.

In the late 1990s Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works (KS&EW) built the Jalalat and Shujaat with Chinese assistance, while in February 2006 the PN commissioned two new fast attack craft, constructed locally by KS&EW with technical support from Marsun shipyard in Thailand based on a modified German design.

which1 PN getting?type-022 or type-037?

Looking at the displacement mentioned in the news it would most probably be Type-037 FAC. But they haven't mentioned the type of FAC's PN is going to procure.

Last edited:
Looking at the displacement mentioned in the news it would most probably be Type-037 FAC. But they haven't mentioned the type of FAC's PN is going to procure.

does 037FAC have 'radar controlled guns'??

does 037FAC have 'radar controlled guns'??

"The Type 037-II is the first missile corvette in service with the PLA Navy to be equipped with a sophisticated C3I system. ... The ship is fitted with a Type 352E ' Square Tie' I-band radar for surface search and anti-ship missile targeting; and a Type 347G 'Rice Lamp' I-band radar for AAA fire-control. The two Type 69A dual-30mm AAA guns are directed by a Type 88C optronic director."

Type 037-II (Houjian Class) Missile Corvette - SinoDefence.com

As is quite common e.g. on Russian FAC's and missile corvette, you have 1 radar gun director for 3 guns, backed up by 1 or more optical or optronic director.

Back
Top Bottom