What's new

Pakistan Missile Technology

shaheen01.jpg

Post boost rocket motors?

If it is what it seems to be then the warhead assembly is able to manoever post boost in exo atmosphere via these sideways rocket motors,and can correct course before deployment of Warhead,increasing accuracy.
This feature can also be used as counter ABM measure as warhead trajectory can be changed away from predicted trajectory...
This can also be seen as an important step towards MIRV..

These are screen shots from May 29 / 2012 Nasr missile test video.
Only two Nasr were loaded on the TEL and note the different shapes of Nose cone..

This is a closeup of one of the Warhead assembly..Note the Circular areas at the root of the Fins...Looks like all four Fins are movable.

In this Picture..Note the difference in shapes of the Warhead assembly..One is Globular and another a lot more conical.

@AhaseebA .. any comments on this ?

Two were loaded but one was fired, indicating that the other was loaded as a static system to test the effects of excessive shocks and vibrations received by any other missiles that would be present in the vehicle during a launch.
Yes, all fins are movable. The difference in warhead assemblies is because of just the paint scheme IMO. I think the right one is the missile which was fired.

Last edited by a moderator:
shaheen01.jpg

Post boost rocket motors?

If it is what it seems to be then the warhead assembly is able to manoever post boost in exo atmosphere via these sideways rocket motors,and can correct course before deployment of Warhead,increasing accuracy.
This feature can also be used as counter ABM measure as warhead trajectory can be changed away from predicted trajectory...
This can also be seen as an important step towards MIRV..

Not exactly...
These are communication antennas as far as I think.
The terminal correction system has thrusters which correct the trajectory after the boost phase and tilt the warhead at the impact angle. Later on another set of thrusters on the warhead spins it for a stable re-entry.

Not exactly...
These are communication antennas as far as I think.
The terminal correction system has thrusters which correct the trajectory after the boost phase and tilt the warhead at the impact angle. Later on another set of thrusters on the warhead spins it for a stable re-entry.

why would a Ballistic missile need such large communication antennas?

why would a Ballistic missile need such large communication antennas?

I'm not sure, but a defence analyst RD Fisher stated that about his visit to IDEAS 2008. They could be even star-locating systems for stellar guidance or antennas for receiving ground signals for post-boost guidance.

I'm not sure, but a defence analyst RD Fisher stated that about his visit to IDEAS 2008. They could be even star-locating systems for stellar guidance or antennas for receiving ground signals for post-boost guidance.

@AhaseebA @Windjammer..

Do you have any pics of Shaheen 1A?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the speculation has been made by some American defence experts about Shaheen series missiles that the missile has some sort of Radar scene matching capability..and mid-flight course changing capability.

Ok..some help needed here..i am confused..
Are there two different versions of Shaheen 2? One has fins on second stage..other doesn't :sick:

fg.jpg

images

@AhaseebA @Windjammer..

Do you have any pics of Shaheen 1A?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the speculation has been made by some American defence experts about Shaheen series missiles that the missile has some sort of Radar scene matching capability..and mid-flight course changing capability.

pak_missile20120425.jpg

Radar scene matching is a totally different and advanced guiding mechanism. We do not have any kind of capability in this field.

Ok..some help needed here..i am confused..
Are there two different versions of Shaheen 2? On has fins on second stage..other doesn't :sick:

None of the missiles launched in the flight tests had any sort of fins on the second stage. Apparently, these missiles (just 2 I guess) were dummy ones made for parade stuff and exhibition at IDEAS. You know the carelessness found in our Pakistani setup, must've been a mistake.

Any comments on this feature of Ghaznavi? Is this a drag resistant aerospike?

IMGP0895.JPG

chaznavi11.jpg

Any comments on this feature of Ghaznavi? Is this a drag resistant aerospike?

chaznavi11.jpg

Yeah it is. Actually I have covered this feature a while ago, in some random threads...here it is again..

Hatf-3 Ghaznavi SRBM (Range 290 km,Warhead Payload 500 kg [Total 600 kg])

Development History :
Pakistan Army had a wide gap of local missile capabilities,with Hatf-1 having 100 km range and Shaheen-I having 700 km range,because Hatf-2 and 3 were cancelled.Therefore,around 1997-8,NDC (NESCOM) started the development of the Ghaznavi missile,with Abdali being developed in parallel by SUPARCO.The system was first tested in May,2002.

Origins :
In early 1990s,China provided Pakistan with 30-40 M-11 (DF-11) SRBMs,to help it strengthen its Armed forces.These missiles had a range of ~300 km,with a payload of 500 kg and a CEP of 500-600 m.

In appearance and capabilities,Ghaznavi remarkably resembles M-11.In the 1990s,Pakistan also procured critical equipment and machinery for developing missiles locally.Initially,it was decided to mass-produce the M-11s with similar capabilities.Later on,it was decided to make an advanced version of M-11,equipped with modern technologies.

Chinese DF-11A (CSS-7 Mod 2),an advanced version of DF-11/M-11
Df-11A.5.jpg

Pakistani Hatf-3 Ghaznavi (IDEAS,2008)
125_100217_6b555b0cb35c043.jpg

What Pakistan did :
The local version,tested as late as 2002,had a better solid-fueled motor downgraded from Shaheen-1.Pakistan moved ahead of China,and inducted the aero-spike in the design,which enhanced the performance of the missile in dense atmosphere,enabling it to follow a depressed ballistic trajectory.Later on,China also inducted the aero-spike,in later versions of CSS-7 Mod 2 (DF-11A).Yet another major modification was made,and a locally developed advanced INS was installed,giving the missile a CEP of <50m (As stated by Chairman NESCOM) by aiding the warhead vehicle with a precise Post-separation Attitude Correction System.

Pakistani Hatf-3 Ghaznavi (Azm-e-Nau 3 exercise,2010)
340x.jpg

Yeah it is. Actually I have covered this feature a while ago, in some random threads...here it is again..

Very good..I never came across these writings of yours....
What you say of the Fins on Ghaznavi?
Dont seem to be moveable, although movable fins at such high speeds inside atmosphere may be a technical challenge..So the guess is that the missile manoeuvres/corrects course by using an internal mechanism,may be a gimball mounted shift of weights technique.. While the fins act as Lift generating surfaces.

Very good..I never came across these writings of yours....
What you say of the Fins on Ghaznavi?
Dont seem to be moveable, although movable fins at such high speeds inside atmosphere may be a technical challenge..So the guess is that the missile manoeuvres/corrects course by using an internal mechanism,may be a gimball mounted shift of weights technique.. While the fins act as Lift generating surfaces.

Yes exactly, they provide the necessary lift. No the course is corrected again by small internal thrusters.
IMO in the case of Ghaznavi, the warhead is not spun up before re-entry. Instead the fins stabilize the missile.

Abdali and shaheen 2 have more than one versions...

Back
Top Bottom