What's new

Pakistan makes highest number of oil and gas discoveries

FalconsForPeace

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan’s oil and gas discoveries in the current month have made a record as exploration companies found fresh hydrocarbon deposits in six wells that will add 50.1 million cubic feet per day (mmcfd) of gas and 2,359 barrels per day (bpd) of oil to the existing production levels.

Petroleum and Natural Resources Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, while speaking during a meeting of the National Assembly Standing Committee on Petroleum and Natural Resources chaired by Bilal Ahmed Virk , said four discoveries were made in Sindh that already has the largest share in total gas output in the country and the remaining two in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.

Of these, Oil and Gas Development Company made two finds, MOL Pakistan two and Petroleum Exploration Limited and United Energy Pakistan one each. The discoveries have shown presence of 31.6 mmcfd of gas and 339 bpd of crude oil in Sindh and 18.5 mmcfd of gas and 2,020 bpd of oil in KP.

Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) Managing Director Amjad Latif warned that the country’s gas reserves were depleting and no gas was available for the domestic consumers in Punjab. He pointed out that the purchasing cost of gas for domestic consumers stood at Rs510 per million British thermal units (mmbtu) but the consumers coming under the first slab were receiving it at Rs110 per mmbtu.

Latif told the committee that despite the shortages in gas; the company would lay pipelines over 8,000 km in the current year. At present, 1.5 million applications for new gas connections are awaiting approval of the company.

85 per cent of domestic consumers were paying less than 50% of the cost of gas and the industrial and commercial consumers were cross-subsiding the domestic consumers, he said.

However, now industrial and commercial consumers were being provided imported liquefied natural gas (LNG), so the burden of cross-subsidy had been shifted to SNGPL that was feeling the strain on its finances.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/201...es-highest-number-of-oil-and-gas-discoveries/

We knew this ... nothing new ... except the gov is a fool.

take care too much oil and gas is harmful for country

upload_2016-7-1_10-9-59.jpeg

Seven odd years i have been here on this forum , heard about many such discoveries. yet most are not exploited, you guys have to build a pipeline from Iran to get gas .
You guys really have poor political leaders.
pakistan-crude-oil-production.png

pakistan

2015 crude oil production 98.80 crude oil usage 437.06

If we could start to take advantage of all the rich resources we've been blessed with things would be different. Our leaders though...

Seven odd years i have been here on this forum , heard about many such discoveries. yet most are not exploited, you guys have to build a pipeline from Iran to get gas .

Hon sir,

Main reason for this is that my naïve countrymen are easily duped into a false sense of well-being by the crooked politicians who use the statistics for propaganda purposes.

I was in Pakistan when Bhutto announced in the parliament with great fanfare that 200-million barrels of oil was discovered in Dhodhak back in 1976 and even exhibited a test tube with some crude in it. Innuendo being that Pakistan would be future Saudi Arabia.

Being in Esso at that time, I knew that it was a gas/condensate field and the sample shown was only the condensate not crude and that Esso’s Dharki gas field was about 10 times larger than Dhodhak discovery. Besides 200-million bbl of oil was not much. I therefore felt ZAB’s tomfoolery an insult to my intelligence. On the other hand naïve parliament went in uproar and the clapping lasted for 15 minutes.

You are correct and indeed we have been hearing about these discoveries for last 20 years where as shortage of oil goes on and the gas load shedding is getting worse every day.

You must have noted that Hon. Minister quite cleverly stressed ‘Highest number of oil & gas discoveries’. Also when new discoveries are announced, often it simply says ‘large quantity’ without saying how much. All of this is meant for propaganda only and to boast that performance of the Oil Ministry has been fantastic.

Ground reality is that many small fields have been found instead of any large one. The news item mentions a total of 100.2 mm cft per day of gas & 4.3 K bbl oil day. This is peanuts. Last large discovery was at Qadirpur in 1987 which at about 250mm is currently Pakistan’s largest gas producing field and producing 2.5 times the gas discoveries boasted by the Minister.

The news item does mention “Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) Managing Director Amjad Latif warned that the country’s gas reserves were depleting and no gas was available for the domestic consumers in Punjab”.

This is the correct gas situation and a gas pipeline from Iran is badly needed.

I would rather have a single Qadirpur size gas discovery than 10 smaller ones. There is little need for a new thread or jumping with joy for such miniscule discoveries. Nevertheless any commercial scale discovery is better than a dry hole.

Hon sir,

Main reason for this is that my naïve countrymen are easily duped into a false sense of well-being by the crooked politicians who use the statistics for propaganda purposes.

I was in Pakistan when Bhutto announced in the parliament with great fanfare that 200-million barrels of oil was discovered in Dhodhak back in 1976 and even exhibited a test tube with some crude in it. Innuendo being that Pakistan would be future Saudi Arabia.

Being in Esso at that time, I knew that it was a gas/condensate field and the sample shown was only the condensate not crude and that Esso’s Dharki gas field was about 10 times larger than Dhodhak discovery. Besides 200-million bbl of oil was not much. I therefore felt ZAB’s tomfoolery an insult to my intelligence. On the other hand naïve parliament went in uproar and the clapping lasted for 15 minutes.

You are correct and indeed we have been hearing about these discoveries for last 20 years where as shortage of oil goes on and the gas load shedding is getting worse every day.

You must have noted that Hon. Minister quite cleverly stressed ‘Highest number of oil & gas discoveries’. Also when new discoveries are announced, often it simply says ‘large quantity’ without saying how much. All of this is meant for propaganda only and to boast that performance of the Oil Ministry has been fantastic.

Ground reality is that many small fields have been found instead of any large one. The news item mentions a total of 100.2 mm cft per day of gas & 4.3 K bbl oil day. This is peanuts. Last large discovery was at Qadirpur in 1987 which at about 250mm is currently Pakistan’s largest gas producing field and producing 2.5 times the gas discoveries boasted by the Minister.

The news item does mention “Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) Managing Director Amjad Latif warned that the country’s gas reserves were depleting and no gas was available for the domestic consumers in Punjab”.

I would rather have a single Qadirpur size gas discovery than 10 smaller ones. There is little need for a new thread or jumping with joy for such miniscule discoveries. Nevertheless any commercial scale discovery is better than a dry hole.

Thank you for putting it into perspective, sir. Do you think there is a greater chance of major discovery in the seabed of our EEZ? Has there been any worthy survey of our seabed? If so, how do the prospects look?

That's what we are doing.

Hon sir,

A True Professional Inside :-)...thanks for reading great post

Thank you for putting it into perspective, sir. Do you think there is a greater chance of major discovery in the seabed of our EEZ? Has there been any worthy survey of our seabed? If so, how do the prospects look?

Most large oil reservoirs ( more than 5-billion barrels reserve) on land have already been found and to the best of my knowledge all the new large discoveries have been off-shore. No one can be certain of oil, but Pakistan definitely have gas.

For comparison; 6 tcf of natural gas is very roughly equivalent to 1-billion barrels of oil in terms of energy. Thus Pakistan with 32 tcf of proven natural gas reserves has energy equal to approx 5 billion barrels of oil. Whereas Pakistan's total crude oil reserves are only abut 300-million barrels. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on finding more natural gas than crude in the off-shore fields.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom