What's new

Pakistan likely to acquire Chinese PLZ-45 self-propelled howitzers

PLZ-45 is the most expensive one, but PLZ-45 is digital artillery, while such K-9 is only a moving gun
PLZ-45 is a system, sold by fire unit, about 7.1million$ per artilery unit:

One PLZ-45 Artillery Battalion has:
PLZ-45 18
ZCY45 battalion command post / fire command vehicle 1.
ZCL45 command post vehicle 3.
GCL45 forward observation / search car 9.
W653A engineering rescue vehicles 2.
702-D radar vehicle a meteorological measurements 1.
704-1 positioning radar vehicle a trajectory 1.
PCZ45 ammunition supply vehicle 18.
CXJ45-1 mechanical maintenance vehicle 1 .
CXJ45-2 mechanical maintenance vehicle 1.
CXD45 mechanical and electrical maintenance vehicle 1.
CXB45 spares car 1.

Total 18 PLZ-45 and 39 vehicles--127million $, so in another hand, the fire system is the cheapest one, not only a moving gun, no matter where one PLZ-45 are, they can fire together to one or several target at the same time, share battlefield, just as a Fighter Wing with AWACS, air-tanker and other a whole support systems. Every one know the price of one AWACS and one Fighter

EG. PCZ45 ammunition supply vehicle: the same Chassis of PLZ-45, contains 90 artillery shells, can supply 8/minute to PLZ-45, make PLZ-45 full from empty in less than 4 minutes;
704-1 positioning radar vehicle: let 8 PLZ-45 Accuracy within 10m in 10KM range, while 0.35%*range further than 10KM, what PLZ-45 do is only firing accord the coordinate and time, others will correct accuracy and command

We are obsessed with self propelled howitzers. I guess its because we had good experience with M-109 And M-110s. PLZ-45 looks nice but i thought we were interested in Norinco SH-1 ?

SH-1_wheeled_sel-propelled_howitzer_155mm_artillery_system_Norinco_China_Chinese_defence_industry_line_drawing_blueprint_001.jpg

Or am i wrong and we have decided to buy both ? :undecided:

I thought you had sh-1?Sh-1 is better than plz-45 as a firing platform but offers less protection.
Plz-45 is however much better than current m109,the new m109a5s are second hand and still short ranged.

A very desirable ability in new artillery guns is the simultaneous multiple round impact ability.Essentially gun fires multiple rounds but they hit the area at the same time giving no warning and maximum fire damage.Only some of the latest guns have this ability like swedish archer and german donar.

I thought you had sh-1?Sh-1 is better than plz-45 as a firing platform but offers less protection.
Plz-45 is however much better than current m109,the new m109a5s are second hand and still short ranged.

All of M109A2s were upgraded with kits from USA .. and we do have a rebuilt factory for them aswell.... As for short ranged... do you know what their range is? its one of the most advanced SPG in the world.. for long range arty we have other weapons systems that are produced in house.

All of M109A2s were upgraded with kits from USA .. and we do have a rebuilt factory for them aswell.... As for short ranged... do you know what their range is? its one of the most advanced SPG in the world.. for long range arty we have other weapons systems that are produced in house.

24 km for normal round,30 km with rocket assisted projectile.Its not good enough global standard is around 40 max ranges now.
Its a low calibre weapon compared to 45 and 52 cal guns.Thats why usa upgraded most of them to PALADIN.Paladin with excalibur round has 50-60km Range.They passed on some second hand ones to PA for cheap.PA was clever got some SP arty dirt cheap.Its good in indo pak scenario currently.
But in intl standrad its old,britain replace it with as-90,germany with pzh-2000,america paladin.

@AUSTERLITZ, you do know that Paladin is M109A6 don't you? US Army wants replacement for Paladin itself. XM2001 was good, N-LOS cannon might still be in development.

Didn't Pakistan upgrade all M109 to A5 standard?

Last edited by a moderator:
We are obsessed with self propelled howitzers. I guess its because we had good experience with M-109 And M-110s. PLZ-45 looks nice but i thought we were interested in Norinco SH-1 ?

SH-1_wheeled_sel-propelled_howitzer_155mm_artillery_system_Norinco_China_Chinese_defence_industry_line_drawing_blueprint_001.jpg

Or am i wrong and we have decided to buy both ? :undecided:

yes Pakistan has got SH 1 but we can go for PLZ-45 when we think we need that not much problem but I was reading about HIT and it said Pakistan is developing Al Khalid II and also a self propelled artillery off 155 MM

We had updated them as back as 2010-2011 all were updated to M109A5 Standards. Not what u r mentioning ie M109A2

I was only mentioning what i got from internet sources,if u know better from more recent sources,ok.I'm not disputing it,i just didn't have that info.

I was only mentioning what i got from internet sources,if u know better from more recent sources,ok.I'm not disputing it,i just didn't have that info.

After Kamra, n Mehran incidents we have officially stopped giving real updates abt our defensive information in internet specially.

But still non Pak sources confirm this.

After Kamra, n Mehran incidents we have officially stopped giving real updates abt our defensive information in internet specially.

But still non Pak sources confirm this.
I read that Pakistan is developing its on 155 MM Self Propelled Artillery at HIT any information on that Sir @DESERT FIGHTER @ANTIBODY and others

Last edited by a moderator:
plz45-155sp-suppling.jpg

plz45-155sp-gun245P.jpg

PLZ-45 155 mm self-propelled howitzer

The PLZ-45 / Type 88 is a 155mm / 45 calibre full-tracked self-propelled artillery system. Patterned on the original American M109, it has a similar design and appearance while incorporating a more powerful engine to improve mobility on a heavier chassis. It uses similar ordnance to the towed NORINCO 155mm WAC-021 system. The enclosed rotating turret may incorporate NBC protection and a fire suppression system.

NORINCO offers the PLZ-45 as part of a complete artillery package which includes a full-tracked ammunition support vehicle almost identical in concept to the US United Defense M992 Field Artillery Ammunition Support Vehicle (FAASV).

Specifications:

Powerplant diesel - 525 hp

Speed 34 mph
Weight 33 tons
Height 2.6 m

Armament
1 x 155mm main gun
1 x 12.7mm machine gun

Rate of Fire 4-5 rounds/min
Range 39 km ( ERFB-BB ammunition )

The PLZ-45 is known to have been exported to a least two countries - Kuwait and Saudi Arabia - as well as being deployed by the People's Liberation Army (PLA). Pakistan has shown interest in the howitzers, and will probably acquire them soon.

Sources:
Janes Information Group, Wikipedia, fas.org , CHINA AND THE MIDDLE EAST: From Silk Road to Arab Spring By Muhamad Olimat

It better for HIT to do JV with Ukraine in development of Tanks, Self Propelled Howetzers, APC, MRAPs and Armoured Trucks.

Along with JV with Gemrans on Making Guns of every caliber and also involve POF to do JV on smaller arms with them.

I am sure then we need no external help at all.

Back
Top Bottom