Pakistan keen to export Murree Beer to India

shear this

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pakistani Whiskey Makes History In Islamic World

By ISAMBARD WILKINSON, The Daily Telegraph | February 26, 2007
Print Send Comment
Share Share
news-graphics-2007-_444981a.jpg

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — Pakistan has won the distinction of producing the Islamic world's first 20-year-old malt whisky.

The Murree Brewery in Rawalpindi, founded in 1860 to make ale and spirits for soldiers during the British Raj, is the only producer of whiskey and beer in a constitutionally Islamic country.

Despite a torrid history in which it has been burned down by protesters and temporarily shut down in an Islamist purge, the Murree Brewery has survived against the odds and has previously produced celebrated eight- and 12-year-old single malts.

"Few distilleries in the world, even the high-end ones in Scotland, produce 20-year-old malts," said Minnoo Bhandara, the Parsee businessman whose family has run the brewery since the creation of Pakistan at the partition of British India in 1947.

Officially, the 20-year malt will be true to its name: "Rarest." Under Pakistani law, it cannot be drunk by 97% of the country, and it cannot be exported.

But the production of the rare whiskey has coincided with an unprecedented debate in Pakistan about the prohibition on drinking alcohol.

In 1977, the former prime minister, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, bowed to the demands of Islamic political parties and imposed an alcohol ban on Muslims.

Since then, the brewery has officially been catering for the 3% of Pakistan's population that comprises of the non-Muslim communities of Christians, Hindus, and those of Mr. Bhandara's Zoroastrian faith.

Pakistan brewery produces Muslim world's first 20-year whisky
Murree's whisky, Pakistan brewery produces Muslim world's first 20-year whisky
Murree's malt will be true to its name of 'Rarest'

By Isambard Wilkinson in Rawalpindi

12:01AM GMT 26 Feb 2007

The Islamic republic of Pakistan has won the distinction of producing the Muslim world's first 20-year-old malt whisky.

The Murree Brewery in Rawalpindi, founded in 1860 to make ale and spirits for soldiers during the British Raj, is the only producer of whisky and beer in a constitutionally Muslim country.

Despite a torrid history in which it has been burnt down by Muslim protesters and temporarily shut down in an Islamist purge, the Murree brewery has survived against the odds and has previously produced celebrated eight and 12-year-old single malts.

"Few distilleries in the world, even the high-end ones in Scotland, produce 20-year-old malts," said Minnoo Bhandara, the Parsee businessman whose family has run the brewery since the creation of Pakistan at the partition of British India in 1947.

Officially, the 20-year malt will be true to its name of "Rarest".

Under Pakistani law it cannot be drunk by 97 per cent of the country and it cannot be exported.

But the production of the rare whisky has coincided with an unprecedented debate in Pakistan about the prohibition on drinking alcohol. In 1977 the former prime minister, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, bowed to the demands of Islamic political parties and imposed an alcohol ban on Muslims.

Since then the brewery has officially been catering for the three per cent of Pakistan's population that comprises of the non-Muslim communities of Christians, Hindus and those of Mr Bhandara's Zoroastrian faith.

However, the ingenuity of thirsty Pakistanis means that rather a lot of the 660,000 gallons of beer that Murree produces every year and the 110,000 gallons of whisky that is stored in its cellars reaches a Muslim clientele.

"I think 99 per cent of my customers are Muslim," said Mr Bhandara, who is an Oxford-educated MP.

The official punishment sanctioned by the Koran of 80 lashes with an oil-soaked whip has never been applied.

The unexpected debate on drinking was sparked earlier this month by Ali Akbar Wains, a maverick parliamentarian, who suggested in the national assembly that by banning the "minor evil" of alcohol, the government had helped the "major evil" of drugs to flourish in the country.

The call to legalise drinking alcohol was taken up by the likes of Mr Bhandara, who has long battled against the so-called "Teetotalitarian" state.

Mr Bhandara said that the debate was "one of the best things that has happened to this country." But he sees little hope of progress. "The subject of drinking will stir up a hornet's nest," he said, adding that Pakistan will maintain its ban on exporting alcohol.

In the coming months Murree beer will be available in Indian restaurants in Britain under the slogan "Have a Murree With Your Curry" after a deal struck with a Belgian brewer to produce the drink under licence
My friend, why as a muslim u r upbeat on a haram alcohol?
Shall i remind u of yr profet muhammed?

How does it compare to budwuser is it more smoth on the taste i own liquor shops all over MP budwiser have been in great demand abd so has been Carona

WTH you own shops phly to bakwaas kerta main tujhy PM kerta tujhy friends list main dalta yaar ager kisi din UP dis BIJNOR ata to tujh se wine peeta :hitwall: . ok now its not late . can you make me friend ?:lol:

My friend, why as a muslim u r upbeat on a haram alcohol?
Shall i remind u of yr profet muhammed?

oyeee chupppppppppppp ker ja mery dharam ka poochna hai to PM ker :angry: :D

I must say here Pakistanis are not good businessmen yaar they waste millions for just wine which hurt no one . TBH tell me ager main sharab ke 4 pag lagata hoon to kisi ke baaap ka kya jata hai ? make it legal and let people decide . if i like to drink no bastard can stop me . i drink and go police station in pakistan and drink more in police station for fun with police its pakistan :rofl::rofl:
Yes you are right. Police, many civilians, army, even people from every sector enjoys these beer and Rums.
Sahi kaha. Waisay konsi fit hai. Price btao aor naam be. Zaida b tunn na ker dy k road py soo jaon
:rofl:

Konse GCC country me daru banti hai bhai?

sab main gher main banti hai desi daru or english bahir se ati hai .

Yes you are right. Police, many civilians, army, even people from every sector enjoys these beer and Rums.
Sahi kaha. Waisay konsi fit hai. Price btao aor naam be. Zaida b tunn na ker dy k road py soo jaon
for this info please pm me yaar its open forum :D

:rofl:

thodi si beer ..... thodi si whiski.......thodi si vodka........ teeno ko mila k ek peg banaao aur pee jaao:cheers:

sab main gher main banti hai desi daru or english bahir se ati hai .

for this info please pm me yaar its open forum :D
To be able to send PMs your post count must be 2000 or greater.
Abi senior member nahi bana. Jab 2000 post ho jain gi to PM kernay k qabil ho jaon ga:meeting:

Pakistan land of pure...ok.
Having safe havens for terrorists like OBL okey, because its muslim brotherhood..
Printing kafir currency is okey with slamic tenents...okey
But what about ALCOHOL WHICH IS TOTALLY HARAM IN ISLAMIC LANDS....YET THIS COUNTRY, BEING THE LAND OF PURE, CHAMPIONS OF ISLAM, IS ALLOWING THE PRODUCTION OF ALCOHOL ON ITS LAND FOR PURE MONETARY REASONS, SETTING ASIDE THE LAWS OF SHARIA, AND MORALLY CLAIM TO BE A BROTHERS OF KASHIMIRIS ON ISLAMIYAT....IS IT THE HYPOCRICY OR WE HAVE SOME OTHER NAME FOR THAT.....QUWAIT, QATAR, SAUDI WOULD NOT EVEN THINK ABT IT, BUT MY PAKISTANI FRIENDS, WHO SPOUSE ISLAMIC WAYS OF LIFE, FLOUT THESE SHARIA LAWS IN FRONT OF UMMAH N ULEMMA....FOR WHAT?

Money my friend money......it makes the world go around...lol whre are islamic principles...where r those muslims of this pdf who shout against this haram practice ha ?
Lol
Love me or leave me...choose me or loose me...make me or break me...choice is yrs...

To be able to send PMs your post count must be 2000 or greater.
Abi senior member nahi bana. Jab 2000 post ho jain gi to PM kernay k qabil ho jaon ga:meeting:

hamari konsi 5000 hai yaar go search THUNDER77072hotmail.com on FB :lol:

kya sir ji............. nashe me hi toh aadmi hosh me aata ha

bola na subah bakwaas kery gay bus baat khatam :D

Back
Top Bottom