What's new

Pakistan jumps into action fearing ‘polio’ travel ban

Where does the article mention that polio traveled from afghanistan to pakistan(basically FATA), i couldnt find it
Apparently it's the opposite :(
KABUL, Afghanistan — A 3-year-old girl in Kabul has contracted polio, the first confirmed case in the capital in 12 years, health officials said Tuesday.

Afghanistan is one of only three countries where polio is still endemic, and it has been inching closer to its goal of eradicating the disease. But it is next door to Pakistan, where polio is much more widespread, especially in the tribal areas along the border, and most of Afghanistan’s remaining polio cases are traceable to Pakistan.

Health officials say that was the probably the case with the girl in Kabul, whose name is Sakhina. Her family previously lived in Pakistan and her father is a taxi driver who travels frequently to the tribal areas. The specific strain of virus she contracted is known to be common there, they said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/world/asia/rare-afghan-polio-case-tied-to-pakistan.html?_r=0

@WebMaster @Aeronaut @nuclearpak @Oscar @Manticore @Jungibaaz can we get all polio related threads joined?

Pakistanis banned from travelling abroad without a Polio Certificate

No those who are not vaccinated are not that smart to pull of such scams as in India :coffee: while those who already had the vaccine dont need such scams...
Did I read India.

India is Polio Free..... :rofl:

Where does the article mention that polio traveled from afghanistan to pakistan(basically FATA), i couldnt find it

Bhai said I read/watched it on tv...fetch the video of WHO briefing/conference for the content, but i am not lying it was clearly written/translated as the WHO head was reading out that polio came from afghanistan. There was no mention of FATA which basically is part of Pakistan it was "afghan-istan".

Try reading in context ...it helps alot with understanding the post...I meant Indian scammers!

Troll alert he is now successfully trying to derail the thread report and dis-engage.

PDF rankings and upgrades has nothing to do with you dragging Shariah...Are you highon Naswar?! :unsure:

And I believe I answered appropriately maybe you need to read within context

just read your replies again hopefully you will figure who is high , full of contradictions members thats all we get here which is not an individuals fault and infact a national dilemma. I some times think only mullahs are atleast honest atleast they are clear on their objectives and goals.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has spun into action fearing WHO restrictions on passengers travelling abroad without poliovirus inoculation certification, Samaa reported.

According to sources, Ministry of Health has called an “emergency” meeting next week to chalk out a plan to head off a poliovirus vaccination related international travel ban.

World Health Organization (WHO), after a recently held meeting, had said that following several days of closed-door discussions, it would decide whether to declare the new spread of polio a "public health emergency of international concern" that could require measures such as travel restrictions.

The UN agency’s International Health Regulations’ (IHR) Emergency Committee has already warned Pakistan over its failure to completely check the spread of virus as more and more cases were being reported from across the country every day.

The sources in the national health department told Samaa that the ministry had decided to make 'polio immunization certificate' mandatory before international travel.

Moreover, special counters will be set up at all the airports in this regard.

Polio, a crippling and potentially fatal viral disease that mainly affects children under the age of five, has come close to being beaten as the result of a 25-year effort.

The number of recorded cases worldwide has fallen from 350,000 in 1988 to 406 in 2013, according to WHO data. Polio is currently endemic in three countries, Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan, down from 125 in 1988.

"However, wild poliovirus continues to spread internationally from both endemic and re-infected countries," the WHO said.

"Between January and April 2014, in what is usually the low season for poliovirus transmission, three new international wild poliovirus importation events have been detected, one each in Asia (Pakistan to Afghanistan), the Middle East (Syria to Iraq) and central Africa (Cameroon to Equatorial Guinea)."

Pakistan jumps into action fearing ‘polio’ travel ban

Stupid talibans! Hope they dont have their hands on the virus and that is why resisting the vaccine to others... Idiots!
now this might be ok for the goons in Got and those traveling on official passports, but am really worried about orginary citizens like my father and other peoplle woeking in same industry who have to travel to and from Pakistan every 5 weeks - this is sad state of affairs man - :pissed:

now this might be ok for the goons in Got and those traveling on official passports, but am really worried about orginary citizens like my father and other peoplle woeking in same industry who have to travel to and from Pakistan every 5 weeks - this is sad state of affairs man - :pissed:
Tell me about it!

I cant even find if I have it written I took polio drops...Where is my Vaccine card :undecided:

Tell me about it!

I cant even find if I have it written I took polio drops...Where is my Vaccine card :undecided:
lol - i doubt anyone of us have that -
don't worry next time they show up on my door, i will surely get some drops and ask for my card ----
just to clarify - the ban is for adults or infants??

Tell me about it!

:laugh: maybe we can approach dara adam khel for copy certificate.

don't worry next time they show up on my door, i will surely get some drops and ask for my card ----

Ban is for everyone going out of Pakistan to any destination Internationally. I'll try with my Canadian Passport if I couldn't means I will have to take vaccination "unnecessary".

No idea...individuals :unsure:

:laugh: maybe we can approach dara adam khel for copy certificate.
:rofl: I cant even remember if I had some...oh wait was too small to remember ..I dont know :cray: Should I be worried? I dont even know if I got them in Pakistan...argh where is my health card :cray:

@balixd
Ban is for everyone going out of Pakistan to any destination Internationally.

In a statement, the WHO said Pakistan, Cameroon, and the Syrian Arab Republic pose the greatest risk of further wild poliovirus exportations in 2014. The WHO recommended:

“These States should:

1. officially declare, if not already done, at the level of head of state or government, that the interruption of poliovirus transmission is a national public health emergency;

2. ensure that all residents and long-term visitors (i.e. > 4 weeks) receive a dose of OPV or inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) between 4 weeks and 12 months prior to international travel;

3. ensure that those undertaking urgent travel (i.e. within 4 weeks), who have not received a dose of OPV or IPV in the previous 4 weeks to 12 months, receive a dose of polio vaccine at least by the time of departure as this will still provide benefit, particularly for frequent travelers;

4. ensure that such travelers are provided with an International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis in the form specified in Annex 6 of the International Health Regulations (2005) to record their polio vaccination and serve as proof of vaccination;

5. maintain these measures until the following criteria have been met: (i) at least 6 months have passed without new exportations and (ii) there is documentation of full application of high quality eradication activities in all infected and high risk areas; in the absence of such documentation these measures should be maintained until at least 12 months have passed without new exportations.”
“Once a State has met the criteria to be assessed as no longer exporting wild poliovirus, it should continue to be considered as an infected State until such time as it has met the criteria to be removed from that category,” added the WHO statement.

:rofl: I cant even remember if I had some...oh wait was too small to remember ..I dont know :cray: Should I be worried? I dont even know if I got them in Pakistan...argh where is my health card :cray:

Sad-Funny-Baby-Face.jpg

oh btw - these are recommendations - other states individually will have to impose the ban in the light of these recommendation--

oh btw - these are recommendations - other states individually will have to impose the ban in the light of these recommendation--

Such bans, if realized, would create problems.

Back
Top Bottom