Solomon2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
His job? Collect DNA to confirm identity
BY SAEED SHAH MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS
Jul 12, 2011 |

ABBOTTABAD, Pakistan -- Pakistani authorities have jailed a doctor who worked for the CIA before the raid that killed Osama bin Laden to create an elaborate plot to get DNA samples from those living at the al-Qaida leader's compound, as part of U.S. efforts to verify that bin Laden was there.

The doctor, Shakil Afridi, who holds a senior government health post in Pakistan, used nurses, who were able to gain entry to the residence on the pretext of giving vaccinations to children living there, according to Pakistani and U.S. officials and local residents.

The U.S. special forces operation that found and killed bin Laden on May 2 severely damaged relations between the U.S. and Pakistan, which was kept in the dark about the CIA's discovery that the al-Qaida leader was living in a town filled with active-duty and retired Pakistani military.

The doctor's detention has added to the tension, and American authorities are thought to have intervened on his behalf.

Previous news reports have quoted U.S. officials as alleging that the Pakistanis had detained some people for questioning about their role in assisting the U.S. in tracking down bin Laden.

But until Monday, there was no detailed information on anyone detained or what he or she might have done for the Americans.

The doctor apparently is the only person still under arrest. His story provides previously unknown details about the lengths the CIA went to as it tried to confirm suspicions that bin Laden was hiding in the compound.

The doctor's role was to help American officials know with certainty that bin Laden was in the compound, according to security officials and residents in Abbottabad, all of whom spoke only on the condition of anonymity because they feared government retribution.

After years of searching, the CIA had tracked an al-Qaida courier, known as Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti, to the Abbottabad compound last summer, but it still wasn't sure that bin Laden lived there. The al-Qaida chief and his family never left the house, which had no phone or Internet connection.

Bin Laden had always lived with his wives and children, even in Afghanistan before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the U.S.

The doctor was tasked with collecting DNA samples from those living in the house. A sample from any of the bin Laden children or grandchildren could be compared with DNA extracted from bin Laden's sister, who died last year in a hospital in Boston. A match would have indicated that at least bin Laden relatives were in the compound.

[h/t: DS]

How DARE Pakistani authorities arrest a doctor whom was involved with a foreign intelligence agency, they should immediately release that doctor and provide him/her with compensation. That was sarcasm guys so please dont rip me apart :P

I am glad all this free reign of American agents running around our country and penetrating deep sensitive strategic departments is coming to an end, the Army has clamped down hard on this parallel network that CIA was running in Pakistan and the reaction of Americans is clear to be seen with the suspension of military aid. The number of people arrested is far higher than what the Government Officials are acknowledging, that raid and especially the suspension of Aid has come as a blessing in disguise :).

Interests of Pakistan First :pakistan:, this doctor should be tried for treason and executed or life in prison. An example needs to be set forward :tup:, we are with you Pakistan Army :)

No, he should have been given a special commemoration, his services rendered to outside spy agency highly recognized and awarded in a special ceremony by Gen. Kiyani.

no need to put him to death lol. but good step would be to try him for treason. Whatever their tried for should be shown to the public so next time anybody else decides to do anything similar, they'd think a million times.

He should be tried for treason (For injecting people with fake vaccine and working for a foreign intelligence agency).I think he should be tortured first then put to death.
Hmm, help me understand how identifying a person who has hand in violence in pakistan (also happens to be involved in 9/11 US), is a crime ?
I believe by helping to eliminate a terrorist (for which Pak is being paid by US), he did service...
Unless you believe
1. No one should have helped US to locate a worlds-most wanted terrorist.
2. OR you believe keeping that terrorist, would have earned more money over longer term for Pak..

Fake vaccine if not harmful at all, which I believe should be the case, is no-big-deal .. Sounds a little deceiving , but common, you cant speak hundred % true, when trying to espionage.

Why cant you see the net impact of his actions ??
Do you still think he should receive punishment ??

Or is your ego so big, that even if he his action has resulted good deeds, you are feeling bad that he didnt work in Pakistani framework, though he is a pakistan.. ???

Hmm, help me understand how identifying a person who has hand in violence in pakistan (also happens to be involved in 9/11 US), is a crime ?
Yes, a person should be be given highest civilian award if he/she helps Pakistani Law Enforcement Agencies in catching terrorist however you don't gang up with foreign intelligence agency and he was to put is simply a intelligence asset of a foreign intel agency.Therefore, He should be executed as soon as possible.

To all the non-Pakistani members. It might be a pain in the as$ for you like always but we will make an example out of him and everyone who is working for any foreign agency operating inside Pakistan without the consent of Pakistani govt. You can keep whining, asking stupid questions etc but since it is our internal issue we would do whatever we consider necessary for national security.

That's it.

What if the doctor didn't know what he was doing. I mean I doubt CIA would let everyone know about the details of their operation:confused:

To all the non-Pakistani members. It might be a pain in the as$ for you like always but we will make an example out of him and everyone who is working for any foreign agency operating inside Pakistan without the consent of Pakistani govt. You can keep whining, asking stupid questions etc but since it is our internal issue we would do whatever we consider necessary for national security.

That's it.

Dont worry. Pakistan will release him after making the right noises. If Raymond Davis can go free, so can this guy..

Back
Top Bottom