What's new

Pakistan is Rising Star Among Top 20 Frontier Markets

FDI helps but no country has developed without significant domestic savings and investment. That is a bigger problem for Pakistan right now.
Haq's Musings: Pakistan GDP Grew Just 4.1% in 2013-14: Is it Another Lost Decade?

So this "rising star" claim has shaky foundations?

Yes, I agree with that. But investment, specially foreign, can accept only so much risk.

I guess in the long run, Pakistan's demographics will have maximum impact on Pakistan's growth, but on short and intermediate term this event should have impact on FII

There's always a lag between the collection and reporting of data. 2014 is not even over yet. Its data will be out in a couple of years. But the trends are clear. India is reducing poverty at a slower rate than the rest of the world. So India;s share of the world poor is continuing to rise...going up from 22% in 1980 to 33% in 2010, according to World Bank.

World+Share+of+Poverty.jpg

FDI helps but no country has developed without significant domestic savings and investment. That is a bigger problem for Pakistan right now.

Sir, you are confusing % to number. China reduced its poverty faster that any country, hence on relative % terms India's poverty has gone up. But reports by WB and IMF say India has reduced its absolute poverty substantially in last decade.

Last edited:
A frog which has never been out of the pond thinks its pond is the greatest place on earth.

As to seeing Kerala, I have no desire to see it. I haven't seen Timbuktu either but people at the World Bank and other UN agencies have. And they publish reports and data which are far more reliable than either you or people of Timbuktu.

read about world famous " kerala phenomenon or kerala model" ..

Kerala's unusual
socioeconomic and demographic situation was
summarized by author and environmentalist Bill
McKibben..
Kerala, a state in India, is a bizarre anomaly
among developing nations, a place that offers
real hope for the future of the Third World.
Though not much larger than Maryland,
Kerala has a population as big as California's
and a per capita annual income of less than $
300. But its infant mortality rate is very low,
its literacy rate among the highest on Earth,
and its birthrate below America's and falling
faster. Kerala's residents live nearly as long
as Americans or Europeans. Though mostly a
land of paddy-covered plains, statistically
Kerala stands out as the Mount Everest of
social development; there's truly no place like
it.